/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games(NSFW board): Previous thread:

Attached: 1551262072110.jpg (483x604, 45K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/vizs/manjarno
github.com/baskerville/bspwm
cr.yp.to/daemontools/fghack.html
rpmfusion.org/Configuration#Command_Line_Setup_using_rpm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Ohaiyo my niggas, so I installed arch and now my laptop fan is spinning a lot slower. Could this damage the cpu?

The air expelled is cold so i don't think it's a problem at the moment but it's slower than the slowest I've ever seen on Win10.

pls halp, i know the fan is supposed to be controlled by the BIOS but could there be some driver issue messing it up?

Check the sensors and make sure its not actually running hot
If the laptop is just running cooler which is causing the fan to run slower there's obviously no problem

Is this the first time you've installed a linux distro?
Bare in mind that pretty much all distros run lighter than windows and arch is very minimalist after install and uses little resources compared to it

34 degrees currently so i think it's fine rn. it's time I've installed a linux distro on this laptop, I expected it would be a lot more lightweight than Windows but didn't expect the fan could be so quiet, usually it's audible even when idle. Battery consumption seems a little worse but the average temperature range is a lot lower compared to before. I used lm_sensors to check btw.

Its probably just the lower stress on the system
Open a terminal and run htop to see what resources are being used, its almost guaranteed to be less than what windows would use

Unless you've specifically installed fan control software while installing arch your fans are still being controlled by the bios

Anyone got any suggestions on linux card games? Stuff like solitaire, freecell, hearts. I've been really wanting to play hearts lately.

just installed htop and checked, both cores at around 3% and only 1 gb ram is being used while icecat, compton and a couple of terminals are running. These stats are literally fap material compared to windows which used to run at least 30% of the cpu and 4gb when doing nothing at all.

Imagine being this angry: github.com/vizs/manjarno

Why are printers such a fucking hassle to setup on Linux? I just want to be able to print to this Brother piece of shit without having to do it from my phone.

What OS do you use on your phone?

Android.

See, printers aren't a fucking hassle to setup on Linux.

So it's that time of the year when I get tired of windows, what's the state of lincucks? Is it the year of linux desktop yet?

install gentoo

>cups preinstalled
>plug in printer
Literally 1 step setup.

Good old gentoo, if I had a faster cpu I would.

I have Wingblows installed on one disk and I want to install Arch on the other one while being able to boot both of them. Where should I install GRUB? Let's say Windows is on /dev/sda and Arch will be installed on /dev/sdb.

he's right, if you are using manjaro you are retarded and should have just sticked with windows

You're retarded.

found the manchild retard that shits up on arch asking for help.
Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora and CentOS all are better distributions.
Also I bet you are a zoomer and you've just been lurking this board for two weeks

Manjaro user here, looking to extend my knowledge to some other distros. What should I try first?
I already tried Ubuntu and Fedora in VMWare alongside Manjaro (which is how I chose it as my distro of choice).

is it possible to install pure linux on a smartphone? I want to use it as a pocket desktop

I did

There's a reason Linux breathing new life into old computers has been a meme for a long time.

Gentoo, unironically. Ubuntu and Fedora give you a good sense of the deb/rhel families and you already know Pacman. Other than Gentoo, embedded busybox type Linuxen (Android, Alpine, etc.), and the BSDs you've got the bases covered.

ace of penguins
Pure X only, zero bloat.

>on Linux?
printing is provided by CUPS, a software made by apple.

put grub on sdb and set it as BIOS/EFI boot drive.
you will have windows in the boot menu. If you fuck it up somehow or decide to nuke your arch install later you can just set the boot drive to sda in bios and start windows as is.

What do you fellow Jow Forumsentoomen think about QubesOS?

Attached: 1439839912687.jpg (604x604, 43K)

>QubesOS
a walking meme

This guy got killary'd almost 4 years ago.
Time fucking flies.

trisquel is like 100x better

Anyone other firewall procrastinators here?

I always want to build out that ultimate firewall ruleset but I am paranoid I will break something and just end up resetting it.

Attached: 1509343662971.jpg (790x1053, 98K)

Genode does what Qubes is aiming for and does it better because Genode has actual GPU acceleration available (at least on Intel) in a safe way.

What is the best Linux distribution for someone who is not skilled with Linux, but who also wants to get away from proprietary software and move to FOSS? I am thinking about using PureOS since it was listed on the FSF's website.

Attached: image.jpg (1400x1400, 422K)

>not skilled with Linux
Just use any *ubuntu (Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Ubuntu mate, etc. but not Ubuntu becuase gnome is shit.)

Whatever it is you are going to bloat the shit out of it and cause irreparable harm. Choose whatever interests you. Do you want newish packages, lots of tutorials online and you don't care about hard drive usage, then use Ubuntu. Want older packages that are reliable but might not have the latest thing you want and want a more enterprise experience try Fedora. If you don't care about ancient packages but want to use aptitude package managment then use Debian. If you want ancient and Redhat based then use CentOS.

Want to compile everything yourself then try slackware. Want to spend hours changing compile flags, then try gentoo?

Want to have the hacker tools with no hassle, then try Kali (ubuntu basically). Want to have to read a wiki just to install the OS and then have a clean slate and a package manager that is relatively up to date, then try Arch.

There are a lot of distros. Just try something that interests you. Or choose something that you think is a good meme OS and try it.

Attached: 1473646034581.jpg (600x529, 90K)

No I just do the default ufw setup. Cannot be bothered to learn ip/nf/whatever tables straight out.
Just barely actually setup fail2ban correctly.

Ubuntu Stretch, in my hache oh, desu

Attached: 1504746899451.jpg (960x540, 97K)

In linux, how can I make it so that quitting a certain programs run a script to kill another one? I'm trying to close the jackd audio server when I close my audio program

Maybe make a script to launch it with
your_audio_program && kill -2 `pgrep jackd`

Attached: 1478464912725.png (1371x1267, 134K)

Jackd has to be on while the program is on so I have an executable script that runs both. I cant kill jackd on launch

is there any display manager that isnt a complete piece of shit?

#!/bin/bash
your_audio_program
pid=$!

# If this script is killed, kill the `cp'.
trap "kill $pid 2> /dev/null" EXIT

# While copy is running...
while kill -0 $pid 2> /dev/null; do
sleep 3
done

# Disable the trap on a normal exit.
trap - EXIT

kill -2 `pgrep jackd`

Attached: 1508716894016.jpg (466x561, 37K)

No, just use BSPWM github.com/baskerville/bspwm

Attached: nice.png (335x350, 206K)

why is it every time i come here someone recommends this garbage to me? are you the project dev shilling?

i have a windows phone

I just came back to Jow Forums. I genuinely believe it is the best. Sounds like a shill but I don't care. I tried DWM, DWM, i3, i3-gaps, and a lot of other wm and bspwm gives me gaps, outside border and a lot of other control that other wm do not.

I really like it for what it is worth.

Attached: cum.png (266x17, 1K)

that's a clumsy way to write
#!/bin/bash
your_audio_program
kill -2 `pgrep jackd`
you didn't background your_audio_program so $! is empty and it has already exited when that line is reached

Other user suggested that his
your_audio_program

forked and returned before the program was really exited.

thats lovely but im not looking for a tiling WM

$! only gets the pid for commands backgrounded in the shell using &
could try running it with cr.yp.to/daemontools/fghack.html

You could also not be a faggot but you can see that fate has pointed reality into a different course.

Attached: 1479273920792.jpg (2000x2064, 3.99M)

you're mom gay

Fuck you you sissy ninny unpatriotic faggot

Attached: 1508289937212.jpg (450x580, 273K)

your dad super gay

Am I just being nostalgic for nostalgias sake if I almost miss burning ISOs to an actual, physical CD to install Linux? Even a fucking Lubuntu ISO is 1.5 GB nowadays. I know that it's strictly worse compared to using a USB drive since the CD will just be laying around and have no use after installing, but there's something about the process I miss.

What distro has the most technology? Something that is not ready yet, but you believe is going to be the future

>What distro has the most technology

Attached: 1475378560662.jpg (234x227, 35K)

GuixSD is the hot new meme.

>GuixSD
>Guix supports transactional upgrades and roll-backs, unprivileged package management, and more

Hot damn, sounds like the blockchain. That is what I am talking about, thank you, user-san.

Attached: 1495613393950.jpg (420x420, 40K)

OK that's based I'll try out btw

A little tip for the kiddos. I was running at 800mhz until I found out about cpupower and #cpupower frequency-set -g performance. Now I am running at boosted speeds (almost 2ghz from 800mhz) and my laptop is running much better.

Attached: performance.png (861x394, 30K)

Do other anons adjust the priority and niceness of their services? Or is it all just snake oil and pre-optimization tier?

Attached: 1508608864001.jpg (399x400, 39K)

How is Wayland when it comes to vidya?
I just recently replaced x with Wayland, and it seems like some games have much lower fps and some won't even start.

I'm just wondering if that's something I should blame on Wayland or if I just need to tweak something. Does anyone have a similiar experience or any insight?

One thing everyone should be aware of before trying it is that the repositories contain no proprietary software. The reason it's really important to know that before hand is because it uses Linux-Libre kernel and that means if you need wifi it almost definitely won't work.

I'd just hate for someone to try it out and get annoyed that their wifi isn't working and end up hating the whole distro.
You can still have your wifi working though, because it's easy to customize guix to install anything even if it's not in the repos, so you just need to tell your config to get the full Linux kernel instead of Linux-Libre. A config for that was posted by a GuixSD dev.

Feel free to ask for help in these threads too.

libre = shit-brah

Attached: 1479087116444.webm (392x262, 2.58M)

What's the easiest way to replace a Linux distro?
I've installed Debian by splitting the Home and Root partitions and want to replace it with something else.

You could potentially try to save your home partition, but better off just saving your important things to github, another machine, or another drive.

I don't care about any of that, just what the easiest process is of replacing a Linux distro.
i.e. by installing another over it or deleting the partitions first etc.

nuke it all.

No.

this appears on my desktop sometimes when I start up from off/suspend. no idea what it is though, everything works fine and it doesn't give me any more info?

Attached: problem.png (537x157, 19K)

Don't use backticks. They're superseded by $() and $() is POSIX as well.

I bet your baby carrot is "fun size"

>emerge -ae @world after at least half a year of not updating (or using, really) anything
pray for me

Attached: 1533938663754.gif (600x450, 480K)

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with using `` in short simple scripts, you self-unaware autist.

Attached: [HorribleSubs]-Senryuu-Shoujo---01-[720p].mkv_snapshot_02.45.png (379x651, 163K)

it's probably just because arch isn't doing shit you didn't tell it to, unlike windows 10

Sad picture. I was literally installing Debian for the first time to try it out when it was happening. I went to troubleshoot a problem and saw his tweetstorm live. Still running that instance of Debian in his memory

I'll pray for you, but do portage and then gcc on their own first just to be safe.

Already did that. Before trying -uUD which failed repeatedly.

WHAT TERMINAL EMULATOR BEST FOR GNU?

xterm

Great, thanks.

>gnu
Most of gnu is shit. Also, most terminal emulators are shit in one way or another, depends entirely on your priorities.

how do I run shell script whenever my desktop is not in use?

Periodically check cursor position and cpu usage.

>Periodically check cursor position
hmm that seems resource-hungry
any other way?

Why? Just check whether it differs from position recorded N seconds/minutes ago. If someone is watching video, the cpu check will catch that.

loop:
sleep 60
check
goto loop

okay, sleep 60 doesn't look that bad
thanks

Is there any way to add multiline scrolling and middle click to scroll features in Chrome under Kubuntu?

Attached: 1505143744285.jpg (587x773, 79K)

Wendell has almost convinced me to try Fedora. Coming from Mintbuntu, is it still a massive pain in the ass to install non-free packages?

Love Fedora.
Need something like it but stable for 1-2 years for a work computer, but Fedora has a dumb release schedule of 6 months with only 13 month support.

Is *buntu LTS really my only option? It's kinda limited. Will try OpenSUSE Leap but not sure its much different to Fedora.

No its easy

rpmfusion.org/Configuration#Command_Line_Setup_using_rpm

debian stable
opensuse as far as I know is similar to fedora, like rpm-tier or someshit

Get out

I have Debian with sddm configured that it automatically logs me in at boot.
Today after startup I just saw the sddm login screen and whenever I entered my password for my account the screen flashed black and it went back to the login screen.
I simply restarted and it correctly and automatically logged me in now.
Any idea what that was?

NO U
Have you SEEN the code? Maybe excepting some projects that get more attention, it's often a sparsely maintained autistic mess that rivals openssl.
Also, if you're so smart, name a perfect terminal emulator.