We tried to tell you, Jow Forums

We tried to tell you, Jow Forums.

variety.com/2019/digital/news/cox-elite-gamer-service-1203197817/amp/?fbclid=IwAR2F8TmV-BJoDNL7lODuHVb-dHb631vs84fbewKqrWlbiQEJiuKdYdJCb7M

Attached: what-is-net-neutrality-isp-package-diagram.jpg (1113x688, 199K)

Everything is going to be an add-on service in the future. Can't wait until they introduce loot crates into every product.

If you think ISPs are unironically going to charge you extra for websites everyone visits instead of simply increasing their base fees (which they can do with NN), you need to kill yourself.

>

Correction: Variety initially erroneously reported that Cox Elite Gamer Service was a form of “fast lane” service, when it actually doesn’t prioritize internet access. We have updated the story to reflect that and add more context.

Nice fake news.

sage

>websites everyone visits
the websites that "everyone" visits compared to the websites that Jow Forums visits barely overlap

This sounds like a good thing. Faster speeds. What's the problem?

>Cox notes that membership to the Cox Elite Gamer Service permits users to route their game activity for select games through a dedicated gaming network

so if I pay more selected 3rd party services I've paid for get routed over a different network that is faster?

how is this not a 'fast lane'

Sad.
If you play multiplayer vidya you really want low latency.
Fuck everyone else and their dumb netflix, that data isnt needed in a hurry.

why isn't this done by default then?
wouldn't it be a better experience for all if high bandwidth-high latency things were routed differently than low bandwidth-low latency things?
aren't ISP's already doing this?
does any of this really matter when the main backbones owned by MCI or ATT can easily meet or exceed demand at competitive prices and the service to your door is the the chokepoint in both performance and price?
why don't people recognize the local micro monopolies that restrain competition and stifle innovation?

Internet fastlanes refer to throttling content on purpose, as in bandwidth.

I would argue anything selecting specific content and offers any speed difference would be a fastlane
either 15 dollars more to speed up my video games or 15 dollars more to not shit up streaming video
it still results in a net negative to the end user and internet in general

Internet fastlanes has ALWAYS meant bandwidth.
They aren't even paying for the same service, they pay for extra routing.
It's literally not a part of the normal network.

Even so, QoS has existed forever. Are you pissed about it?
Me too. I wish some asshole would kill every single one of my VoIP calls with his traffic.

>QoS has existed forever
exactly
so is cox asking $180 a year for it?
>It's literally not a part of the normal network.
so cox has been digging extra lines between everyones house and video game servers?

They purchased a service and rebranded it. They didn't do anything like that.
You could argue that they should use it for everyone, but they specifically purchased it with customers already paying and expectations that more people would sign up for it.
It's not normal QoS, it's different routing to specific game servers where latency is very important.
Less congestion and less hops most likely.
Why shouldn't people be allowed to buy it?

>?fbclid=IwAR2F8TmV-BJoDNL7lODuHVb-dHb631vs84fbewKqrWlbiQEJiuKdYdJCb7M
>fbclid
go back

If something like this happens then I'm going to set up my own network. String some Ethernet cables across rooftops and stuff, share all the data I've been hoarding to anyone who connects, for free.

Video games are for children, so I don't care.

>We lied to you, Jow Forums.
FTFY, and you still are lying.

They will increase their base fees AND add-on service.

>We
are you a journalist? If so, you do know that people do not really like you, right?

>$10 a month internet.

sounds pretty good.

That image is some reddit propaganda but in reality it sounds pretty good compared to what we have now.

I'd rather pay for what I want than pay for what I don't use and be slowed down by people using bandwidth intensive sites.

Attached: 1555010133363.png (1000x1000, 168K)

See..... millennials & gen z have no money...... so nobody besides boomers are gonna pay for this and they are dying fast.

Attached: D626565F-2CB2-47D6-9DFF-203C0385F00E.jpg (1037x1171, 463K)

user, it says $30. $10 is then one of the add-ons.

>Oy vey, looks like you are stuck in silver goy! No surprise, with that subpar internet connection who could expect you to do better? You know, I have a solution for your little problem, hehehe.

Attached: (((OWL))).png (229x67, 22K)

Fast and premium lanes are not the focus of lack of net neutrality. It's a side-effect. One of the real problems is it allows service providers to throttle third-party services like Netflix in favor of promoting their own services like cable TV.

even than its still cheaper

>Cox Elite Gamer “automatically finds a faster path for your PC game data, reducing the lag, ping spikes, and jitter that stand in the way of winning,” according to the official site for the service. The site also notes that compared to standard Cox Internet, users will experience up to 34% less lag, 55% fewer ping spikes, and 45% less jitter.
>this is not a fast lane service in their eyes
??????????????

>article corrected afterward as they admit they made shit up
>implying Netflix and shit needs low ping
>implying UDP vs TCP type applications should even use the "same" lane
>implying losing 1 packet while watching some Jew program on Netflix is even notcible

Thanks guy fucking gets it