Jow Forums Employment without School

I've been trying to do school and it just isn't happening. I can do the classes fine but am always just an absolute shitshow of the non-meme sort of paranoia and other shenanigans that makes finishing school borderline impossible. Since a lot of Jow Forums considers college a meme scam anyway but never offers an alternative, what is the Jow Forums equivalent of trades?

Attached: iphone 4.jpg (640x416, 56K)

Get certifications

Are there any certs that make better room for returning to school later while working?

For example, would the freecodecamp full program be a solid start? Not necessarily doing the step-by-step slides, but doing all the projects and starting a github?

>freecodecamp
you just answered your question. freaking do it.

I've started it, I'll ask /wdg/ or /dpt/ for steps in the right direction after I've done all the projects, which'll probably take a few weeks.

>freecodecamp
They have """certifications""" for meme languages that is slowly being phased out. People are noticing how Node is being replaced by .NET Core. React is being replaced by Web Assembly (WASM), the legitimately only useful things are the retard courses like connecting and interacting with a DB or architecting an HTML5 site. All trivial things that can be learned in a day.

Fuck the certificates, they mean nothing if researched. Make a github, and put it in your job application. Link to projects that you are proud of and specifically relate to what they're doing.

(I.e. I built a neural network that would render the DOM of every website on the planet, find backlinks, setup commonalities, text comparisons, meta tags, etc.) and I got a fucking good paying job at a SEO firm as a developer straight out of high school at 18.

Certs mean nothing.

Github, got it.
Your portfolio sounds dank, but I doubt I'd be fiddling with neural networks in any capacity within this year.

I'm 29, 2nd year at Uni. I know exactly what you're talking about. I have earphones on my ears at all times and I ignore everything. Everyone's too touchy these days.
>You can get certs like A+, Network+, Security+, CCNA, MCSA, RHCSA
>You can try an online degree
>You can start your own business
>You can toughen up and just do the four years at Uni.

Im 36 and getting close to finishing udacitys front end meme degree, I actually learned a shit load, I live in the bay and worry about being to considered too old to get into tech but fuck it, you dont know if you dont try. But I'm really thinking I should have just gone back to school for CS. I think you made the right decision user, Don't be me...

I think part of it is that my thoughts move a mile a minute and whenever I focus on any one thing I immediately FOMO every possible other thing st once and get nothing done.

It's better to finish school but if you ever drop out you can be fine in web development. I did great without a degree but it was a lot of luck and I'm back in school now anyway.

Make a github, contribute to FOSS programs, write your own programs. Show them to employers, get job. This is how the companies do it anyway. They ask for a resume as a formality but unless you show them work you will never get a job as a programmer. So start writing important tools, contributing to other programs, make your own resume website, run your own email server with a unique domain name, show them you can do the job

>Since a lot of Jow Forums considers college a meme scam anyway
>listening to Jow Forums
You know Jow Forums is a crypto containment board from the very beginning right?

I am a person who thinks college is a meme.
The point is that you don't need a degree to be wealthy, I earn plenty with no degree.

The idea is entrepreneurship not pursuing a job that requires the degrees you don't have.

Do it. If you can fill a github with 30 or more examples and pass a coding interview you can get a job. Building a decent looking personal website won't hurt either.

I did a coding bootcamp because I'm too lazy and ADD to do that shit without some sort of guidance, but it's all the same thing. Learn, build, improve.

Move to a first world country

Attached: ok61.jpg (463x463, 60K)

You can self teach yourself computer science. Work on your own projects and contribute to open source something if possible. Then look for shitty dev jobs to get some experience and from there you should be just fine

>Chile
>Brazil
>Slovenia
Not exactly the countries you want to base yours on

I wish I'd had that foresight but nothing to be done about it now. I'd definitely consider as much with my own kids though.

>Since a lot of Jow Forums considers college a meme scam anyway but never offers an alternative, what is the Jow Forums equivalent of trades?
STEM because going to school for an engineering degree isn't a meme

I signed up for some summer coursework to get credits toward an engineering degree, but I'd be 25/26 upon graduation and that's old to not also have a portfolio of some kind.

This, you really, really should not be taking life advice from Jow Forums.

I used to be one of those "lol college is a meme" kind of people, and I spent my 20s struggling from gig to gig, shitty contract to shitty contract. At the age of 27, I finally enrolled in university as a "mature student" and immediately noticed a difference. I found I learned a lot more just being surrounded by smart people, and having a degree from a *good* university also made me a lot more marketable. It gave me access to networks and internships I could never have dreamed of otherwise. I graduate in a few days and I have four competing offers to choose from. The only thing I regret is not having done this when I graduated high school 14 years ago.

Are you me?

I keep considering testing for ADHD since it runs in my family but I get embarrassed at the idea of a doctor just calling me autistic

Red Hat certs are legit.

I’ll look into this after I more thoroughly cut my compsci teeth

lemme see the github link for that project user

Looking into Red Hat, there's a place in my town hiring MSCD/RHCP/etc with no degree required at all. Just one year of experience and documentation that you're WORKING ON getting one of those certifications. Starting at $45k. I'm going to keep an eye on that company. When I looked up other Red Hat employment opportunities, they preferred either a B.S or 5 years experience, but payed double that or more.

>7 year CS student
>one more semester and I graduate
>2.7 gpa
>no connections from any family members or family friends

how fuck am I?
Will I even get to chose want area of CS I want to work in? Will I even get a job?

Apply for internships this summer user. If possible, do some graduate study. Do you have a portfolio of any kind?

It's easier to create value that you can market if you have engineering skills that aren't trivial.

fkd, figure it out user

I keep getting interested in branching relevant degrees but they all conflict and don't amount to adding up to a single bachelor's.

>75k
Fucking what? I paid like 3k a semester and just pirated books.

Start applying, sell yourself in person. Dont say stupid shit like "i like to code", say "I like problem solving, especially if I can solve a problem with technology."
Avoid bringing up your GPA if you can, they will want to ask you about why you took 7 years. You are literally me, except i changed majors twice and managed to salavage my GPA from a 1.9 to a 3.1. They will wonder, its better to maybe come clean and be like "i struggled, but I came out as a better person, or that you learned important lessions about time management and staying organized.
Turn every fault or red flag into a potential area you are focused on fixing.
In this economy, the biggest problem is people not giving a fuck.
You wont make 200k at google but this will get your foot in the door.

thats what minors are for, my dude.

Yeah, but minors in CS here cover 21 credit hours, which IIRC is 5-7 classes, whereas an AS would be 60 credit hours, but it transfers into about 30 of them not counting toward a bachelors.