/sbcg/

/sbcg/ - Single Board Computers General

1st Thread Edition! :)

>>Other ARM devices are accepted too in /sbcg/!!

>>You can find the thread by going to

>>>/sbcg/

Attached: lattepanda.jpg (1280x720, 148K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B07N298F2B/
mandelmap.deadbeef.codes
teklager.se/en/knowledge-base/apu2-1-gigabit-throughput-pfsense/
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157807),
github.com/sakaki-/gentoo-on-rpi3-64bit
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Pls recommend a desktop replacement, armv8, with nonshit storage interface. Pls.

Why does such a small computer need 6 fan headers? And why a 24pin instead of someting more convenient?

>1st Thread Edition! :)
More like newfag edition.

Smaller than a traditional GPIO? Maybe it's a fancy fan controller.

Right after posting I realize the don't have the PWM pin. So. I don't know.

Are there any SBCs with good single core performance that aren't ludicrously expensive? I'd love to use an ARM workstation, but none of them can compete with the single thread performance of comparably priced x86 chips. The Asus Tinker Board seems to be the best available outside of Nvidia's SBCs, but those are extremely expensive.

Are there any mid or entry level socketed ARM SBCs? Are there any with standard PC I/O connectivity? PCI, SATA, NVME?

Attached: 1547523725193.png (748x499, 408K)

Are there any cheap powerpc sbcs?

I'm looking for a handheld PC with a single board computer. Has anyone made anything like this I can just buy? Links? Because I haven't found anything.

Maybe something like the PineBook or PineBook Pro? It's ARM based, and builds modularly enough you can swap internals.

Pls advise

amazon.com/dp/B07N298F2B/

Atomic-Pi Intel Atom Cherry Trail here for $35.

I am looking for a open/pfsense box that can handle 1gb. Any "cheap" suggestions? I'm asking because the dual rj45 ones are rare.

This. We need an arm PC with sata or m2.

SBCs are meant to be small and power efficient. If you want good performance you'll need to just buy a small form factor x86 PC. There's not really any other option, aside from POWER9 workstations, which are large, loud, hot, and absurdly expensive.

Attached: casa_node.png (1400x1297, 1.49M)

>Are there any mid or entry level socketed ARM SBCs? Are there any with standard PC I/O connectivity? PCI, SATA, NVME?
Not yet. I think system76 is trying to make some ARM laptops.

I'm trying to build an orangepi cluster. My plan was to use ceph for the distributed file system, but I can't find any armv7 binaries. I'd compile it myself except it takes more than 2G memory, which means I need to cross compile, which has been very frustrating. Anyone experience / tips resolving this sort of thing?
At this point I'm thinking of saying fuck it, I'll go the boring route with jvm / hadoop stuff.

>tfw no MIPS64 Creator board

Attached: Creator Ci20 and Ci40.jpg (3120x1754, 957K)

are there any of these lil computers I can play runescape on

jetson nano dot png

Couldn't you just give it a decent size swap and some time to compile? Maybe use distcc to throw all the Pis at the task?

Basically any of the full rpi sized ones. Rpi 3B+ will have the best software support, but any of the rockchip 3328/3399 based boards will be fine as well.
They can run minecraft servers as well if you're into that.

only x86

Attached: udoo-bolt.jpg (960x1280, 178K)

WHERE THE FUCK IS MY EOMA68 SBC
I DONT WANT IT TO DIE BROS
I JUST WANT A SBC TO USE AS MY PHONE LAPTOP AND DESKTOP AND TO EASILY UPGRADE IT ONCE A NEW ONE COMES OUT

Attached: 2734243F-CCB3-4816-BABF-9528D6957A10.jpg (400x388, 20K)

When will ARM come up with a unified booting system? As it stands I will only buy x86 SBCs because at least those are guaranteed to have compatible distros.
With ARM SBCs I can only buy something reputable like Raspberry Pi.

I was just about to say something similar. Can anyone make x86 recommendations? Preferably with exchangeable RAM and GPIO, doesn't have to be particularly new or powerful.

Don't most SBCs have u-boot?

Foreigner or underage /v/toddler "pls" fuck off with your chat tier retarded English.

Was waiting on the odroid H2, but Intel can't keep up with CPU production.
Anyone has suggestions on what other board I can get?
Maybe the Jetson Nano?

I have an Orange Pi PC2 but it stands idle. Any suggestions for its area of use other than ssh & torrenting?

weird question here but how would lattepanda serve as a HTPC?
I'd have to like 3d print a case for it but it looks powerful enough to do the job if I could stick a GPU in it

I actually tried that for a while. The problem is it's 32-bit. Doesn't matter how much swap you give it, the process dies at 2G when it runs out of addressable space.
Maybe I can try offloading just the task that fails onto my cross-compiling toolchain and do the rest of it native. That might avoid all the random crap that happens

It's my distributed systems lab. Playing around with some cool technologies, Kubernetes, containers, Go, 3D rendering, scaling, failover, distributed persistent storage. Honestly, a few raspberry pi's have been the best investment I've made in myself because I've learned so much.

The fact that they're slow makes me think how a problem can be scaled to make it practical.

I made a Mandelbrot map using the Google maps API as a front end, the backend written in Go (which is better than Rust, mind you). The rendering of the tiles is distributed by Kubernetes, with a pod on each node. I calculated that roughly (using averages of sampled tile's file sizes) it would take 200TB of storage to do an offline render and serve those, which isn't practical... But it is practical to distribute that work over many raspberry pi's and do it real time!

mandelmap.deadbeef.codes

Attached: MVIMG_20180804_135058-3024x2268.jpg (3024x2268, 845K)

Something RK3399 based.
>enough PCIe lanes for an NVMe SSD
>real 1GbE for using network storage

based

Attached: jetsonnano_devkit_beauty_flat_01_v005_hc_hires_2000px-100791253-large.jpg (1200x819, 110K)

>make Linux based devboard
>refuse to make proper Linux driver stack for the hardware
Fuck Nvidia.

what are you talking about the drivers are fine

Actually for their arm devices they do contribute to the free noveau drivers.

I need ultra low power SBC
Thinking about solar panel pirate box

RPi0

I was thinking about it, I guess its the easiest to acquire while being low power.
OT: I'll need some other stuff too, like charger unit for the panel. Any recommends? Only thing I need is high efficiency.

I haven't done much with solar panels, but when it comes to quality of electronic components my usual go to is "avoid China where possible."

Whats the cheapest board that can encode and stream 1080p at at least 30 fps?

Attached: 1556154774069.jpg (835x1024, 128K)

Encode into what format? If you're looking for VP9 encoding then you're basically shit out of luck unless you go for one of the atom boards that's at least Kaby Lake.
However if you just looking for h264 or h265 then the RK3328 has 1080p encoding for both of those. The cheapest one of those, afaik, is the 1gb ram version of the rock64 @ $25 (2gb is $35, 4gb is $45)

addendum: The software support for the rock64 is fucking trash though so you may be doing a lot of tinkering on your own. The software support for the rockpro64 is better, but that's a RK3399 based board which only has VP8/H264/MVC 1080p 30fps encoding iirc (Lets give our higher end chipset a lower tier hardware encoder :^)) and costs a lot more. However it also has a pcie slot in case you want to turn it into a joint NAS and encoding/streaming system.

affordable risc-v sbc when

All I want is to stream my webcam to use it as a security camera. Maybe the rbpi cam is worth checking out

he's talking about their GPUs

Can the encoding be skipped and simply stream the raw webcam input? This is really whats bottlenecking the hardware after all.

i too have interest for low power arm board for light desktop use (read: www browsing) but there's no point to buy one before there is hw decoding support for av1. and 4gb of ram is minimum because browsers nowaydays like to consume ridiculous amount of memory.

Has anything surpassed the Rock64 yet?

>latte panda
what's up with these microcomputers having gay ass names,m

A lot of webcams (like the C920 logitech) have onboard h.264 encoding.

What SBC isn't complete shit for emulation on an actual CRT?
I made the mistake of getting a RaspberryPi.

Attached: D0SnMDbUwAA51EV.png (1696x923, 1.18M)

>that picture
Literally why? Why put a port you have to connect to another port on the same box?

CRT monitor with VGA, or CRT TV with composite? S-Video? SCART? RGB BNC? And what do you want to emulate?

PVM with RGB-S. VGA can work fine, but I'd need to find an RGB-HV to RGB-S converter.
I want to emulate N64 and earlier. Anything later I can just play on real, modded hardware.

I wasn't aware of this despite having a c920 (which wikipedia states has linux support) but I don't see its integrated encoding setting. Is it always enabled?

pic related

Attached: c920_linux.png (1012x535, 130K)

Link sbcs that take M.2 storage drives and can actually boot from it(nvme or Sata)

Firefly 3399

Pine64 phone will come out by the end of the year.

I'm not sure, sorry user. I'd guess that it would be always on, but I could be wrong

HPC developer here, I work a lot with SIMD and vectorization and AVX512 and optimization and such like that and lately I've been trying to venture into the ARM space of things. I've worked with ARM before with a little rPi that found its way onto my lap but now I want to try and find a good "pretty beefy" ARM development machine that is implicative of modern ARM hardware out there. Something that fairly represents "leading ARM devices of 2019".

The problem is that pretty much 90% of ARM devices out there are phones or phone-dev-boards and right now the most appetizing ARM SBC i can get is the Nvidia Jetson seen here which is pretty much a cut-down nintendo switch but the A57 ARM cores are kinda "old"

Is there any SBC with a Cortex-A7* processor in it that isn't a fucking phone?

Does it run crysis though

Pine64 makes a SBC with one of these and a 4x PCIe slot. They will also release a $199 laptop with that SoC this summer that will have a NVMe M.2 slot.

teklager.se/en/knowledge-base/apu2-1-gigabit-throughput-pfsense/
Apparently with a good NIC and a little software tweak an APU2 can do it. It may or may not meet your definition of cheap.

>5W power consumption
>devkit comes with a huge ass heatsink and a 5V/4A power adapter

(X) Doubt

Rockpro64 is the SBC, in case the person wants to google it directly

why doubt when you can easily confirm it
lot of people are using it right now even.
people have been putting them in robots and shit now even

How hard is it to actually use these things with a full OS? Say I want to pick my own flavor of BSD or GNU/Linux. Is it as easy as with a regular x86 PC, or if not, is the whole process convoluted?

Assuming the board's raw performance is good enough for what I want to do.

You see user, there's these things called USBs there. 4 ports in 2 hosts (I presume, given the division) in fact. Each host is required to be able to supply 7.5W of power.
7.5W + 7.5W + 5W = 20W, 5V4A = 20W.

Just get a lapdock. This is one of mine. I also just bought a lapdock500 for $20 one fleabay listed as untested, it just has a dead battery i need to retrofit.

Attached: IMG_20190309_192144.jpg (876x657, 103K)

Attached: IMG_20190309_213853.jpg (456x608, 99K)

>that room
you live like this?

Nuc and brix

There's a 1080p Nexdock 2 on Dickstarter for $200

Are there actually any MIPS SBCs?

Some. IIRC MIPS is trying to take the whole ISA open source to compete with RISC-V so there should be lots of Linux, OpenBSD, and Haiku goodness in the future from both architectures.

M-mommy...

Raspbian and others are a full OS. Even things like Retropie are a "full OS", just with a bunch of stuff pre-installed.
I couldn't get FreeBSD running. I did get OpenBSD installed on my Pi, but the networking didn't work. NetBSD required some kind of bullshit before you could actually flash it from what I remember.

What's wrong with that room? That's not even close to being messy.
Though even if it was messy, you should have better things to do than your childhood chores.

No, they aren't meant to be replacements for your desktop. Most SBCs are made for use in embedded systems.

>Most SBCs are made for use in embedded systems.
Or for education.

just buy one of these (newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157807), low power, pci slots and besides the shitty nic it has decent linux support

What's a good SBC for a home server? Preferably with gigabit ethernet and usb 3.0

Seconded, need some with sata ports

Both of the ones in that photo are

I'd say the Odroid-HC2

>HPC developer
What does this entail, esp at the low-end ARM scale? Regular MPI stuff or is there some other framework you're using? Distributed FS?
I've got a few SBC boards that I want to turn into a home lab for clustering, but I'm not sure what to set up.

There's an RPi3B+ compatible Gentoo image that comes with things like Xfce prebuilt, and if you need to build some custom software it's fucking Gentoo. Running distcc on a Pi farm might be a fun warmup.

github.com/sakaki-/gentoo-on-rpi3-64bit

I'm going to buy an Atomic Pi
Wish me luck

kys

Attached: 1554662893631.jpg (1280x720, 144K)

Is there any single-board computer that would make a competent home server board and doesn't bottleneck the ethernet bus because it's being shared with the USB bus?

No SBC is suitable for server anything. If you want an ARM server, get a Softiron Overdrive or similar.
>real PSU
>real gigE
>SATA II
>ECC DDR3
>USB 3
>serial console

Basically anything that isn't a Rpi at this point. Rock64, rockpro64, nanopi m4, whichever nanopi it is that can take that sata hat

THEY SAID IT'D BE LIBRE BY FIRST QUARTER AND THERE STILL ARE ZERO SIGNS

Attached: 1396197152513_1.png (572x635, 284K)

Jow Forums makes an SBC

>some ARM A-76 based SOC with 4 or 8 cores big.little
>maybe a Mali GPU or something, something that at the very least supports vulkan and not just some opengl es shit
>at least 4 SATA ports
>a full sized M.2 NVME or SATA port that doesnt share bandwidth or turn off any of the other sata ports
>USB 3.1, type A and/or type C
>Gigabit ethernet
>DDR4, none of that DDR3 shit, DDR4
>rpi compatible GPIO
>full drivers, bring your own linux distro and install the kernel modules and you're good to go

Is there a tiny SBC that has decent power management? The Raspberry Pi Zero uses 80mA on idle, which is total wank for portable systems.