Does Linux still kill laptop battery life or has that issue been fixed?

Does Linux still kill laptop battery life or has that issue been fixed?

Attached: questionfrogs.jpg (640x560, 58K)

8 hours, fedora@t460 3+3 here

Fuck off retard. Too hard to search on the internet for battery life tests? Kill yourself fucking retarded nigger faggot

You're always running less resources if you are using linux , there is no reason to have it run out battery faster

Unless you are faggot who has 2 graphic cards and has nvidia do all the work all the time instead of using his integrated intel GPU that uses vastly lesss power

>less resources
Not if you're using Gnome.

Not really, my x220t runs gnome on arch and i get about 6 hours of battery life with the 6 cell it came with. I use TLP to set the default governor to powersave when on battery and disable bluetooth on startup. Aside from that, i have a few gpu related powersaving kernel arguments in my grub config.

Nope, Linux still sucks with battery life.

>running gnome
don't run gnome.

Yes.

I have 2 graphic cards. How do I switch one off like you say? Windows has the option to do that but can't find it on Ubuntu.

Yes. Windows will always win when it comes to battery life.

Ubuntu can definitely do this, I use this feature on my laptop. Problem is, I can't remember how I got it working. It wasn't hard to do or anything.

use pop os if you have two graphics cards, it has built in features just for you

>Unless you are faggot who has 2 graphic cards and has nvidia do all the work all the time instead of using his integrated intel GPU that uses vastly lesss power

Would have been great if you could switch between integrated and dedicated graphics based on what you are doing........like you can on any OS that isn't GNU+Linux.

but you can. use bumblebee. if you're not satisfied with the way it works, complain to Nvidia

*runs GNOME*
You don't tell me what to do, internet stranger
(also guys the captcha is getting easier even tho my config is (kinda) hardened and I have ublock origin and https everywhere and decentraleyes plz help)

optirun+bumblebee if you're on nvidia, run optirun when you need nvidia

T420 running Ubuntu. 1 hour with HDD, about an hour and a half with SSD.

It halves the battery life. Tested with clean install of Mint, and clean install of w10 within 3 days on a new laptop

And ofc, with TLP installed. Without it, battery life is like 40% of w10

that's trash use DRI_PRIME unless you have a post kepler gpu

It really depends on the machine. I have a stinkpad with tlp that has 8+ hrs. I also have an HP that has 4 on linux and 14+ on wangblows. You'll have to boot into linux and see if it's going to work for you or not. But you knew that right?

It doesn't work on my Thinkpad with Arch.
Tried everything

>complain to Nvidia
Torvalds already did, they don't care.

Attached: mI_U5W.gif (320x240, 643K)

Nice fud. Fuck off retard. Only way this is true is if you have an Optimus laptop and didn't install a distro that sets up that shit for you like pop os

Using kde on Arch

Much better than windows 10. I'll try to use a WM soon so the battery life might even improve more

My battery life DOUBLES when I reboot from windows to Linux
No exaggeration

Now that Windows wastes enormous amounts of CPU cycles doing bullshit like forced updates, countless background processes, and telemetry, Linux will get you longer battery life than Windows.

wrong
it’s all drivers
linux has shit for drivers efficiency wise

>trusting intel in current year

It's not an issue if you tweak some settings, TLP can do that for you.

I second this, but triple nigger.

My battery lasts more with Linux rather than Windows, I use Arch and KDE
KWin does waste energy though, I could probably get even more with a window manager

Which distro? TLP? Which DE?

I get around 5 hours in my T450 but my batteries are both around 80% health

linux=battery kill
when compared to windows/macos under normal circumstances, if you use commandline interface, throttle the processor, strip everything to bare minimum (not usability but it turns on minimum) and possibly lie on the internet (good is subjective) you can report excellent battery life on Jow Forums.

>not having a plug or backup battery charger at all time
Where you people go, the middle of the fucking desert or some shit?

works for me

Attached: bestbox.jpg (1920x1080, 159K)

What good are power efficient drivers when you pile userland stuff over it that pegs the CPU half the time?

Yeah, nah though. Otherwise Chromebooks would have shit battery life. Additionally, look at the wakes on a Windows machine - it's fucking ridiculous. Macos has always had shit battery life. Apple "solved" the issue by making 99% of the machine a battery. Not to mention the throttling and other shenanigans one deals with on crapple. In fact, I'll just assume the Macos part was bait. Anyway, back to Windows - yes the drivers are generally much better, but as pointed out, the trash heap that is Win10 negates this benefit. I've gotten a 13" 2 in 1 with a dual i7 using gnome down to 2.5 watts in Linux just for shits, and anything under 10 will generally be ok.

T420 using Ubuntu also 6hr battery life after powertop configuration

distro & de?

>fire up windows
>using 5GB of ram at idle
>disk spinning up
>computer set on fire

arch with openbox

>sudo apt install tlp
Its that easy

Given that most users are on laptop these days, why is this something you have to apt-get? Why is it not preinstalled?

it's preinstalled in fedora because they actually give a fuck, also the cpu utilities to set frequency