This frightens and confuses the linux user

>this frightens and confuses the linux user

Attached: c1304_17 - Wi-fi.jpg (382x293, 12K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=qualcomm atheros killer wireless linux
wikidevi.com/wiki/Ath9k
wikidevi.com/wiki/Iwlwifi
wikidevi.com/wiki/Mt76
wikidevi.com/wiki/Realtek
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'd estimate a fairly large percentage of us could connect to wifi without a GUI. How many Wangdows and Macfags could say the same?

connect to it maybe but unless you're able to write drivers then you're going to have shit speeds and drop outs with chips as common as qualcomm

literally just works on any de

pacman -S networkmanager

>connect to it maybe but unless you're able to write drivers then you're going to have shit speeds and drop outs with chips as common as qualcomm

Attached: brainlet_pit.jpg (645x729, 57K)

lmgtfy.com/?q=qualcomm atheros killer wireless linux

Wifi on Linux
>install OS
>wifi literally just works

Wifi on Mac
>boot up computer
>wifi literally just works

Wifi on Windows
>requires you to be hardwired or have a second computer with internet
>find wifi drivers
>install drivers
>reboot computer and hope you have wifi

nmcli d wifi connect

>what is wicd?

Attached: oh_no_no_no.png (794x163, 19K)

what is this meme? i used ubuntu ages ago and remember never having problems with this.

>mfw network-manager just werks

Attached: smug_anime_42341.png (944x720, 499K)

In my experience, only win7 does not have wifi drivers out of the box. Win10 has drivers for most wifi cards i've tried.

not OP but he's right about this. I installed xubuntu recently and I still haven't found anything that has fixed my wifi issues (E200X)

I haven't had an issue with wifi on lunix out of the box in nearly 8 years, and I've never had an issue with wifi that wasn't purely because I was fucking with some ultra autistic distro like gentoo and didn't know what I was doing yet.

>what is this meme?
Exactly that, a meme. It seems that when Jow Forums latches on to a meme, they never let it go. Out of the dozen or so wireless chips I've used in the last decade, exactly 1, has not worked right out of the box in Linux. And guess what? It worked like dogshit in Windows for several months until the fuckheads at Netgear decided to fix it.I would consider this a pretty rare condition.

Nice larp freetard

>using wifi
>sending all your packets through the air
enjoy someone capturing and decrypting it all
>emerge --ask nm-applet
it just werks

>this frightens and confuses the windows user

Attached: noviruses.jpg (264x151, 11K)

>wikidevi.com/wiki/Ath9k
>wikidevi.com/wiki/Iwlwifi
>wikidevi.com/wiki/Mt76
>wikidevi.com/wiki/Realtek
what's your point?

either work out of the box or install broadcom dkms driver
this will cover 99.99% of situations

>and hope you have wifi
last time i had to do this i ended up having to run an ethernet cable across the room.
>install wifi card
>install wifi driver
>device shows as working in device manager
>a few seconds later the orange thingie shows up
>"device not working correctly"
IT JUST WORKS

sounds like you have qualcomm problems

Even worse when you need both wifi _and_ eth drivers.

Why would people on Windows or macOS need to do that?

If you get malware on Windows in 2019, you shouldn't be let near a computer let alone using Linux. Stay on your iPads and iPhones.

The difference is that on windows you are __FORCED__ to use that slow shitty GUI that takes 35 seconds to respond to input. While on other systems you can do it in other ways, which doesn't mean you have to. nm-applet just werks

My Wi-Fi works even in OpenBSD. Sorry kid. But why would I use it anyway? Ethernet is better.

>that takes 35 seconds to respond to input
What?

I got a virus once because my hand slipped and I ran a executable that I didn't mean to open. Honest error.

To clarify my statement: Linux users typically have a firmer grasp on the inner workings of their wifi. This is USUALLY due to the installation process in their distro of choice. The so-called "neckbeard" distros are famous for encouraging you to experience this minor annoyance.

>kernel 5 adds support for my wifi card
>excited to try it out
>it only supports 2.4GHz wireless g when it is supposed to go up to ac

>can't connect to wifi gnu/linux
>about 545,000 results

The only time I have had WiFi trouble was after a fresh windows install. I had to get my laptop and download the driver onto a flash drive.

the cope, jesus
so it takes you less than 35 seconds to type the entire command, for which you of course remember all the necessary flags and arguments but it takes you 35 seconds to move a cursor and click twice, sure

Oddly enough my WiFi is fine after installing drivers from github. My Ethernet breaks after waking from suspend. btw I'm using arch

Attached: 1553949188563.png (391x402, 162K)

right? and then linux tards will be like 'uhh you don't even NEED to stay connected, gosh'

I haven't had a problem with Linux WiFi in ten years. Shit just works now that all the drivers are in-kernel and not staging or NDISwrapper. The only computer I have WiFi problems on now is a Windows 10 PC with a shitty Broadcom adapter and shitty Broadcom drivers that haven't been updated since 2013. Linux does not have this problem because the drivers are open source and share code with other drivers, so bugs actually get fixed.

Attached: 1407215520700.png (640x480, 452K)

Why would I need this if I never leave my house

My computer is next to my isp router so better just to use ethernet. I do though have to have a long ass coax from the router to where my cable outlet is and split it with my cable box. Yes, I still have a cable box.

Works on my Android just fine.

works on my machine

I'm running wifi of my neighbors. Linux works the best a keeping the connection stable. MacBook air of girlfriend won't even try to connect to it.

> Installing malware from github

are you ok?

Linux doesn't have any inbuilt drivers for my WiFi card

>mfw almost no driver issues on linux, or if it did i can do a simple search to fix it
>mfw drivers for my screen, wifi, and sd card reader all broken on win10
>mfw no face

Attached: mobile.jpg (1079x517, 39K)