Thoughts on doing a full conversion to linux and leaving windows forever?

Thoughts on doing a full conversion to linux and leaving windows forever?

Attached: linux_man1.png (1248x944, 2.02M)

Other urls found in this thread:

lutris.net/games/warcraft-iii-the-frozen-throne/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

linux is a kernel. good luck.

Thank you for your input.

What's the best Linux distro for a noob?

Attached: lttanthony.png (1000x1239, 981K)

arch

i've been doing it throughout the last two months , i highly recommend it.

I did it by first using ubuntu for a few weeks (you can use any other ubuntu flavor) to get used to gnu+linux.
Then I wanted to go full hipster autist so i considered arch so first i installed manjaro i3 to get familiar with how arch works in general. And now that I feel confident i can safely install and use arch i'm about to do it as soon as i find the oppurtunity.

I need a working pc until my finals end , so as soon as the last test ends i'm going full arch

I have only negative thoughts for you

forgot to mention ,the reason i don't want to stay on manjaro is I feel it's a bit bloated with almost 1800 packages
If you don't mind that manjaro is honestly a great fucking distro all things considered. It's almost as good as arch and comes with a shit ton of noob friendly applications(which are the bloat)

How's the driver support on Manjaro?
I hear that Ubuntu has the best support for various drivers.

I'd recommend Xubuntu, the easiness of Ubuntu with less bloat

>driver support

lol

I've got a Windows machine I built solely for use with a few very specific programs and gaming. But here's the kicker, I find myself not wanting to leave my Linux machine to boot up the Windows machine.Long story short, those few specific programs run fine in a VM, and the current state of games is so pathetic, it's hardly worth the bother of maintaining a Windows computer. Yes, I have to keep the VM updated, but I have the added bonus of cloning and snapshots in the event of an update breaking something. All in all, unless you consider yourself an "elite gaymer" who has to play every game that comes out, the Linux route can be a great way to avoid the abortion that Windows has become.

I don't know , it just works for me.
Manjaro supposedly has really good drivers
They even have their own hardware configuration software with a big list of drivers for your cards both free and proprietary
I set it to non free drivers at the install and it works great, so i didn't bother to check other drivers.
Also in that same software you can even switch the kernel something you can't in ubuntu, in case the current kernel is not compatible. I have not tried this as well because the kernel it uses also works great

So yeah , never had any driver issues when it comes to any gnu/linux install

Hey man! Why doncha install Gentoo?

The Manjaro installer can auto-detect your hardware and install the appropriate drivers. This step is usually where noobs screw up during a manual installation. Ubuntu packages are further behind than those of Manjaro, so you have to decide if you would prefer stability over new features (though, new doesn't necessarily indicate unstable).

I use Xubuntu on my craptop that has 3GB of RAM, and Ubuntu on my PC. I assume you are a gaymur if you are posting LTT characters, and I would recommend you to keep a Windows partition since many games run like shit on Linux, and some don't run at all no matter how many tweaks you do. I am a Warcraft 3 player and I am just tired of tweaking shit every time there is a patch, and having a week of disconnects and crashes thereafter until finding out what is the problem.
The real redpill is to learn to separate the convenience of the botnet from the flexibility of freedom.

>1800 packages
>muh bloat
Stop being this fucking autistic. Package count doesn't fucking matter. Most packages take up kilobytes or megabytes. In fact, Ubuntu is LESS bloated than Arch (assuming the same DE and programs) because Ubuntu splits packages into package and package-dev whereas Arch merges them into one. End result? Arch gets less packages but they take up more space.

Okay guys, thanks.
I'm not a total brainlet, but I currently lack time to learn new things thoroughly. Manjaro sounds perfect for me.

I did that in 2010. I made the switch to MacOS in 2014.

Attached: Picture-2 (1).png (2048x1536, 2.74M)

again manjaro and arch have insanely good repositories and the AUR which are VASTLY superior to what anything ubuntu offers.
The way you install stuff there is outdated, offers very outdated versions and frankly filled with security issues when it comes to ppas. Also the company that owns ubuntu canonical has big brothery behaviour. Which is of importance if you like privacy
Furthermore ubuntu is not a rolling release so eventually if you didn't set it up correctly you will have to reinstall ubuntu entirely as you would from windows 7 to 10
Arch and manjaro are rolling releases which means they update just like android apps for example.
P.S: Manjaro's software is slighly behind that of Arch

After I converted to GNU/Linux, I found the confidence to get a qt gf. Windows is for virgins.

Attached: Y801oWFLIrkyPg9UnLSIaCVFJHcBZR7MACEwYBhgL3.jpg (1200x1600, 230K)

Valid advice.
I am planning on building a new system and I will probably dual boot for a while to test things.

Either some ubuntu flavor, not because ububtu is good but because it's popular for noobs. So a lot of your stupid answers will already be answered if you just google.
Another option is Manjaro, it's the advantages of Arch without the autism.

I want to do the full switch, but programs like Kontakt, Reaktor and FL Studio don't have a GNU/Linux version

Solus, check it out for yourself. Not as outdated as debian and ubuntu while being very well polished.

If you are someone working professionally creating creative content you should never honestly switch to linux, you are just putting yourself at a disadvantage
If you care that much about muh freedums and can afford it you can have two machines , one for work and one for recreational use. Or perhaps dual boot which i'm not sure of its effieciency

Having a full-time linux machine will lead to many hours of time being wasted googling how to get shit to work, like printers, and webms. I would not recommend it unless you plan on working with linux on a professional level, such as being a Red-hot administrator.

Serious, the neckbeard faggots on this board wear "wasting time" like a badge of honor. You will have a better life spending your time building a business or learning a hobby.

>You will have a better life spending your time building a business or learning a hobby.
Learning a new OS that is useful for all sorts of things from emulation boxes to servers is a pretty good hobby you know.

Ask me how I know this guy name is Kevin

Webms worked out of the box
I looked for epson in the package manager in manjaro and installed it and it was faster than any other driver install on windows

what are you on about?

Imagine being this dumb

It isn't, faggot.

Tried latest ubuntu for a few days. It runs like ass. Absolute horrible experience. Literally any action has visible delay from 500ms to few seconds. Interface made by retards. Lack of basic features. Not to mention many bugs and annoying glitches.
Aboslutely unusable for everyday tasks.

None of this is true anymore unless you're running Debian or Fedora with the freetard repos. I'll be honest, I kinda miss the days of having to mess around with everything to get things working. All of my free time get's wasted on dumb shit like movies and games now. I don't feel like I'm in touch with my operating system anymore.

Kubuntu, its Ubuntu (just werks) with the KDE (Windows like) UI.

>like printers, and webms
sudo pacman -S cups mpv
wow, that was hard

QRD on how to play Warcraft 3 on Linux? I used to love that game and would play it again if I could get it to work on Linux. Have you tried running it on a Windows XP/7 VM with a Linux host?

Attached: OyaRr15.jpg (800x655, 236K)

running xubuntu on a shitty lenovo (netbook). Its fine minus the occasional times it locks up and I have to do a hard reboot. Cant tell if its its the 4.15 kernel (upgrade to .18?) or intel gfx

lutris is noob-friendly wine
lutris.net/games/warcraft-iii-the-frozen-throne/

i have done a full conversion, however i dont game at all and i have already used linux at work for years. eventually i was more used to the linux way of doing things and dealing with windows was getting frustrating.
if you had little to no knowledge of linux before purging windows i think it would be difficult for a bit but more power to you

just keep both, faggot

Linux graphics stack is horrible. Even if wayland gets 100% usable right now, it still lacks behind OSX and Windows.
It's sad that something that was fixed a decade ago in Windows is still a problem on Linux.

Attached: 1551837307487.png (1850x684, 140K)

Ubuntu MATE is most comfy imo, easiest to wrap your head around for a newcomer (ie coming from windows). I have no idea why so many people are sleeping on it.

but this is because of non-freedum graphics drivers.

and the fact that Wayland is a sad joke that will never replace X11.

No, it's because X11 is inherently broken. At least big developers are pushing for Wayland, which is much better than X11 by design.

>Wayland, which is much better than X11 by design.
How would you even know this? Wayland is far from finished.

Attached: ae7.gif (480x268, 1.68M)

pretty much this

The easiest way to do this is to switch all the applications you use to cross-platform ones one by one. Once that's done then changing out the underlying OS is no big deal.

arch
read the wiki you'll understand why

That would be the best decision you could possibly make

Attached: 1540662652707.jpg (480x611, 41K)

You can do all that without running linux full time. I think linux if cool, and I fuck around in BASH - but only when I choose to. Because like I said, I have important shit to do, and dealing with stupid linux issues when trying to get a zebra printer to work is ASININE.

Don’t fall for the linux meme. Windows LTSB

easier if you drop gaming/go console/switch only

linux is great, but the desktop part and its community are aweful. If you have proper hardware it's ok and you can do whatever you want. If not, you would better consider to use windows 7.

Attached: 1552388545634.jpg (1806x1200, 1.31M)

Stop trying to convince autistic spergs, they treat package count like a strength stat in an RPG

Join a wcmaulx27b game so I can join as light blue and destroy the game by blocking my spawn off at wave 15 making everyone leave

windows is better because it includes things by default, even if you don't need it

Many linux distros do too.

>Thoughts on doing a full conversion to linux and leaving windows forever?
meme apart, if you want to run Windows game u will suffer a signifiant drop of performance, other else its a win

yes, the average sub 80 IQ people like (you) like it that way. The equivalent to Windoze in the GNU/Linux world is Ubungu

Manjaro or antergos. I'd recommend KDE as a desktop environment for easy switching.

Don't install arch as your first distro, you'll get the wrong impression of Linux. Personally switching from windows to manjaro (first Linux experience) worked very well.

don't bother, you'll be back to windows within 2 weeks

Attached: file picker.jpg (496x311, 25K)

Now is one of the best times ever. There is more main stream open source/cross platform software available than ever. Steam proton allows you to play almost any windows game on linux.

If you don't play video games, it will be easy for you.

I did it years ago. Literally just works.

i havent tried the WC3 PTR but the bnet download version just werks with wine for me, tried on multiple laptops

What's the thing with Arch, why do some people praise it while others hate it?

Some people couldn't install it.

>What's the thing with Arch, why do some people praise it while others hate it?
it's an ok distro, but it has a lot of fanboys who think they're some kind of superhackers because they can follow a few simple steps to partition / format a hard drive from a command line during the install process.
i think half of the haters are actual Linux gurus who are just sick of the fanboys, and the other half are people who are too much of brainlets to follow the instructions to set up a drive.
it's spawned a whole shitload of ripoff distros though (antergos, manjaro, artix, archlabs, parabola, and others).

i have switched full time about a year ago and to be honest do it it's great i haven't noticed any negative effects at all. updates are a lot easier never had to restart the machine in order to do it and it feels like it's a lot faster but that just might be a placebo.