Can someone explain why i3 seems to be the de facto first choice for a tiling wm?

Can someone explain why i3 seems to be the de facto first choice for a tiling wm?
It's quite objectively the worst one out there, functionality-wise.

Attached: 1538095301011.png (304x290, 60K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=70IxjLEmomg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

it's obviously the most popular one so that's why. I actually tried out i3 again today and wow you're not wrong

It has a nice and retard proof user guide akin to what Arch users expect.

It's pretty much the easiest to configure.

Yes, but why did it get relatively popular in the first place?
After using i3 for almost two years, it took me a couple days if using other wms to realize what I was missing on all along.

What were you missing?

you're using it wrong
>It's quite objectively the worst one out there, functionality-wise.
wanna expand on this one?

these

Most people aren't turbo autists and just want something that works well and doesn't require 20 hours a week of ricing to make it look good.

because the redditors gave it attention. it was going to end up the most used anyway because...

But i3 sure as fuck doesn't work well, that's the interesting thing.
I still wonder who the fuck thought tiling everything horizontally all the time was a good idea.

Easy to copy other people's configurations

Attached: desktopthread.webm (1280x720, 2.85M)

name 3 (three) things that don't work for you about i3

not that user but I was heavily missing out on using sxhkd and automatic tiling

What's the difference between sxhkd and just using i3 configs? I probably agree with automatic tilling though. Yes I use [spoiler]arch[/spoiler] i3.

>window placement is retarded, and i'm forced to move windows around all the time, defeating the entire point of tiling wms
>no way to easily add other layouts
These alone are reason enough for me to not use i3, as there are many other wms out there that don't have these issues, but since you said 3:
>workspaces instead of tags, and no way to mimic this behavior

Well user, can you recommend me some other ones? (Fuck dwm, literally built it and had some weird gaps wtf?)

well not that much when it comes to sxhkd but I like that's it separate from my tiling window manager

Don't have to have fixed pre-programmed layouts

nice webm

>I still wonder who the fuck thought tiling everything horizontally all the time was a good idea
What do you mean?

Available on every distribution, fast, lightweight, easy to configure, no need to compile, learn a language or be a programmer to customize it, good defaults, good documentation, clean code base, actively maintained.
Gee guys, why is it popular?

>good defaults

Attached: Oshino Shinobu.gif (475x498, 2.06M)

What is so wrong with it?

it's the worst, because it fucking works, and it's easily configurable

It's good. People like to shit on popular things.

why Jow Forums hates something in a nutshell

You can tile vertically though, so you're just too retarded to figure out a simple thing I suppose.

It just werks, not everybody has time to configure some autistic WM like you, you fucking inbreed NEET

kek spam this in every desktop thread i use arch by the way

It's the easiest to set up and start using. Might swap to dwm for my next computer but right now i3 does what I need.

good documentation perhaps. Makes it very beginner friendly.

Path of least resistance.

i3 is a retarded reddit tier nu-wm for numales.

Why couldnt that fucktard Drew make a wayland clone of a much better WM?

Try out a wm with automatic tiling to see what I mean.

The gaps are due to honoring window manager hints. Terminals usually get them, for example, as the additional space that would be otherwise occupied without those "weird gaps" wouldn't be usable anyway, as there isn't enough space for another row/column.
If you don't like it, though, you can easily set the resizeHints variable to 0 in your config.h.

Fuck you, nigger. You are just jelaous that I can get a dank i3 LARBS setup in a few seconds while you spend hours making your shitty DWM usable.

>LARBS
>gaps, aesthetics and other gimmicks
How do I get a master/stack layout in i3?

>resizehints = 0
wow that was hard

replace it with dwm
rewrite half the program

You dont need it. i3 is better for productivity

>someone makes a tiling WM that's actually useful
>people with lives start to use it instead of a DE
>tryhard NEETs have to switch to something overly complicated and harder to use to feel special again

Attached: bald retard.jpg (5000x5000, 928K)

>>window placement is retarded, and i'm forced to move windows around all the time, defeating the entire point of tiling wms
It simply inserts new window as a sibling of current window. I mean, what else is it supposed to do? If you want the new window to pop to the side, make the parent container horizontal split. If you want new windows below, make it vertical split. It simply does what you tell it to do.
>>no way to easily add other layouts
>>workspaces instead of tags, and no way to mimic this behavior
Fair points although i3 has some nifty IPC so you probably could make it do whatever you want but I sure do not encourage you to try it. I mean, I tried to do some very simple thing and it turned out to be much more complicated than it should be.

All in all, you're applying a wrong workflow to i3. It isn't supposed to place windows for you, it's supposed to place windows where you tell it to place them. I know that it's pretty comfy when a WM just tiles them for you but manual placement in i3 also has benefits. For one, tabs are awesome. I mean, why does every program implement its own tabs when they could be incorporated in WM for all programs to use? However, I do think that i3 is lacking in many aspects and is overall a pile of ad-hoc code and ideas.

i3 is like ion3 without the good features

Just started with i3, help me pick one before its too late. Why is it bad and what do you recommend?

Stick with it. It's 'bad' because it's popular

youtube.com/watch?v=70IxjLEmomg

so the reason why you guys use this is so that you can have better/smarter tiling and better monitor support?

I find that the excess of documentation for i3 is really helpful. I'm going to stick with it until I want something different/know to want differently. It was also really easy to configure.

this video
>custom autistic tenkeyless keyboard
>ricer
its fine though it was a good video

Because Drew is retard,

>here's your logo bro

Attached: i3_logo_official.jpg (352x143, 9K)

>Can someone explain why i3 seems to be the de facto first choice for a tiling wm?
usable defaults
easy configuration
easy to understand the philosophy behind it
>It's quite objectively the worst one out there, functionality-wise
This is objectively wrong. Go ahead and list off some reasons for this claim if you want anyone to take it seriously.

> well not that much when it comes to sxhkd but I like that's it separate from my tiling window manager
daae UNIX waay. one fing gud. UNIX daaaeeee

I don't really know. It was easy to set up, just hit enter a couple times and you have a pretty nice little environment. Haven't tried any others since nothing about i3 has made me want to try something else. It could be better, but I'm content with it.

This, plus all the other reasons above. I chuck it on laptops, with no customizations at all, and just use fullscreen + workspaces.
If you actually tile more than just splitting vertically on occasion you probably have adhd.
I'd like to try exwm sometime for fun but for now i3 just does what I need and stays out of the way

It works plus you can rip other peoples configs and slightly modify them to your liking. Jow Forumsnormies hate it because it works well without having a turbotistic config file.