Be me

>be me
>be sysadmin
>intern joins the team
>intern tries to install debian packages on a red hat based distro
Is this the best thing 4 year colleges have to offer?

Attached: Reee.jpg (526x526, 13K)

>complains about it on Jow Forums without just going up to the kid and punching him in the face

fuck you guys are pathetic

Yes.

>random undergrad
You should be glad he even knows what a package manager is

I-I'm doing my best, okay?

Attached: 1225748477599211.jpg (1752x1881, 148K)

I'm not gonna lose a comfy 120k job just because of a normie. You can punch him yourself faggot.
The guy didn't even know how to add himself to the sudoers file.
When you are running infrastructure where millions are on the line, trying your best is not enough.

blame HR for hiring a dumbass. my company hired someone who claimed to have python experience yet was unable to run a python script from the command line. he needed my help configuring his text editor to replace tabs with spaces, and 6 months in he still needs help with debugging his code
>"hey user I am getting this weird error can you fix it for me? it says error function not defined line 23. what does that mean?"
he somehow got a 4year degree. I am pretty sure he was only hired because my hiring manager must think Asian with a CS degree == good at programming. must be why I am literally the only non asian develooper in the office.

Attached: 1537843550631.jpg (896x921, 59K)

alright post address

>letting an intern run infrastructure where millions are on the line
Are you retarded?

>millions are on the line

muh companies!! spoken like a true npc

>The guy didn't even know how to add himself to the sudoers file.
Heh, I've been a pro dev for years and whenever I set up a new Linux system I have to look up how to do this.

I'm only the sysadmin, it was the CIO who brought that intern in and he doesn't run shit. He only does what we tell him to and under our supervision.
The CIO is also a faggot.
>being accountable and having responsibilites
>REEE HE IS AN NPC
sure bud....

good at least you acknowledge your fate

>he doesn't run shit
Then why are you complaining about him not being good enough to run infrastructure?
He's a fucking intern. You're supposed to teach him how to be good in exchange for him doing menial tasks you don't want to do yourself

instead of bossing an intern like it should be you bitch about it here instead
LMAO pussy sperg

He is in his junior year of college, I'm getting paid to take care of computers not to fucking teach.
If I wanted to be a teacher, I would be teaching instead of being a sysadmin.
A college junior IT student who doesn't even know the difference between debian and redhat systems should not in an IT workplace.
Really speaks volumes about the quality of the college and its curriculum.
Bossing an "intern" would be a waste of my time, I give him one attempt at it and if he flunks it , then I just do it myself.
I will only give him the most basic microsoft tasks and ban him from admin privileges on any systems in the company from now on.

now you're just being a passive agressive wussy
holy fucking kek

you're the worst kind of boss there is,
mentor the kid before complaining not everyone is the same as you, you might as well make friends with him, who knows? maybe it's worth it to transfer knowledge and maybe he can look up to you, give him a chance, you would like one in his place wouldn't you?

now I see you're just an autistic person, that's to be expected from a sysadmin tho, here's what you can do, don't post that shit on Jow Forums, go to HR and explain your case.
They will laugh at your face because they expect you to be a normal person, but that is what you have to do if you don't like your situation.

or just quit if you're such a fag

Not really, this "college student" has proven to me that he doesn't know what the fuck he is doing.
I'm just gonna let him fiddle with Windows 10 systems(not servers) until July which is the date when he gets offboarded.
I'm not gonna let a retard get admin privileges on the systems that I manage, if he fucks up then I lose my job.
It was the CIO who brought him in, so it's only fair that the CIO "mentors" him and not me.
I'm not paid to teach or to train, I'm not gonna waste my time on a person who doesn't know what he is doing.
His failures in life do not affect me, as such, I will sleep fine at night whether he can land a job or not after this "internship"
You can call me whatever you want, I value my time and I don't like it being wasted.
HR and the CIO won't budge, so I just gave up on this intern.

Do you mean debian specific packages as in he ran apt instead of dnf? That's a pretty common mistake desu.

>I'm getting paid to take care of computers not to fucking teach.
You're getting paid to do whatever your company wants you to do. If they didn't want you teach this intern, they wouldn't have taken him on and put him under you, you giant fucking baby.

>I value my time
>posts about his job life in Jow Forums

who cares.

He tried to install .deb files using both rpm and dnf.
He even tried to fiddle with configuration files in root to "make it work", that's when I realized that this person cannot be allowed admin privileges.
I don't care about what the CIO and HR wants, me and my partners already made our minds. I will just assign tasks that are so menial that even an 8 year old can do them.

>If I wanted to be a teacher, I would be teaching instead of being a sysadmin
This is a terrible mindset, as you grow at a company you should be able to bring up those around you. Being an asset and making others as useful as you are. It's also rewarding, and can let you move onto bigger and better things.

>This "college student"
Yes, he is a student. An intern. He probably is not getting paid your rates, because they hired him with the impression that he would need help getting up to speed a bit.

Change your perspective my guy, you sound like a really hard person to be around. If you don't like the kid's ability then you should help him close the gaps. It's easier on your well-being, and he might actually take some work off your back for a little bit.

Attached: IMG_20181227_165523.jpg (4048x3036, 3.58M)

Kek at normie workplaces where one noob thinks he's better than another noob. If you were as good as you think you are you'd be around bright people at FAANG at least. Good thing the hiring there filters your kind out.

Holy fuck, this guy is truly just an autistic fuck who doesn't know how to train new people.
I seriously hope the intern complaints to HR and the CIO getting this guy back to reality

>as you grow at a company you should be able to bring up those around you. Being an asset and making others as useful as you are
That's some gnarly corporate brainwashing. "Put in extra effort to make your boss more money, and do it in a way that makes you more easily replaceable"

Why would they want to replace you? They are growing I'm assuming, or else they wouldn't be hiring, even interns. They want both of you, and you are in a position to prop yourself up with those that you teach. It's a benefit to you and your employer.

I don't really care about FAANG jobs as the pay+benefits here are out of this world.
And yes, I'm really superior to this "intern", that's why the CIO is trying to shove him into my face.
This guy right here gets it, I'm not getting paid extra to train this newbie and training him would bring stress and rob me of my energy in time.
There is nothing if for me to train a person who is not even prepared for the real world despite spending three years as a "full-time" student.
I have specialized skills that are really fucking hard to replace. Even HR and CIO know that I'm untouchable.

The sysadmin mindset at work. Actively sabotage things just to keep my computer mechanic job, and change the same oil everyday like a good little goy, while I complain about everyone else around me.

That same mindset puts food on your plate. Survival of the fittest. Doctors sabotage your health just to keep getting appointments and to prescribe medicine that they get paid to prescribe.
If doctors can do it, why can't I?

>This guy right here gets it, I'm not getting paid extra to train this newbie and training him would bring stress and rob me of my energy in time.
hey fucktard you need to use THIS to install X in this distro, read this.
+10$/hour job right there

Being good at your job and great at teaching others makes you less replacable, not more
OP is a fag anyway, i was a dumbass when I first started (almost broke production once as well) but I had a fantastic team who helped me when i made whoopsies or needed help doing things.
Now, I am the one who others ask questions and advice from, Its a truly rewarding feeling gifting knowledge onwards and trying to raise the skills of the people in your team and beyond.

Rejoice, your intern actually knows what a terminal is and can probably use the "ls" command. That's better than 90% of pajeets.

>It's a benefit to you and your employer.
It's absolutely not a benefit to you. If you're the only one who knows how to do the shit you do, you're more valuable. You can ask for more money and you can get away with more shit, because losing you would be devastating to the company.
If you teach what you know to others, there's far less pressure on your company to keep you. Now those others can teach other others without you, and they can do your job just as well to boot. Want to ask for a raise? Too bad, less incentive to give you one, since the company can do without you now. Take a few too many liberties? To the chopping block with you, because the company can survive just fine without the original of many clones.

>Being good at your job and great at teaching others makes you less replacable, not more
Being good at your job makes you less replaceable. Being good at teaching does not make you more or less replaceable. Actually teaching others makes you more replaceable.

absolute autist, if your skills are so hard to replace why not move to a different position that lets you not deal with interns?

Attached: 92d.jpg (211x239, 6K)

Nigga, you ain't jesus on earth. No one is untouchable and surely you've made your own good amount of mistakes so share your knowledge and experiences and stop being a stuck-up retard. You're not the only one with sysadmin experience on this planet, you can be replaced. Pretentious cunt.

I looked at the curriculum of the university that the "intern" attends. Apperently he was supposed to take linux classes in this freshman and sophmore year.
I should not have to tell to a person who "took" two linux classes before the internship how to install packages in a linux system.
I can't avoid the intern, they are shoving him up on my face. They even made his schedule overlap mines.
I'm telling you, it's really hard to replace my skills, I even called one of the HR worker's 8 year old daughter a "cunt" in front of the CEO and I just got a slap in the wrist. Not even a citation or anything. And I got like 3 people in my department fired with no effort.
That is not enough on my books.

> Being good at your job makes you less replaceable. Being good at teaching does not make you more or less replaceable. Actually teaching others makes you more replaceable.
I thought that makes you more like a manager, which in most places is the next rank up from just doing a job
Clearly you dont care about others though, but even if we examine the benefit to just yourself, think of it like this
If you train the Intern well, you get to have someone with you who can help you, either with the tasks you dont want to do, or as a safeguard against you making mistakes.
Who knows? Maybe the Intern might be able to teach you stuff in a year or two, making you better at your job as well
It doesn't have to be a zero sum game

>I thought that makes you more like a manager
Teaching? Making you like a manager? Ha. Ask me how I know you don't have a real job.

>If you train the Intern well, you get to have someone with you who can help you
Sysadmins generally don't need any help. It's frequently a chore just to come up with enough shit to do to look busy.
>Maybe the Intern might be able to teach you stuff in a year or two
That's a very lousy and unlikely "maybe" as a defense for doing something that risks your job altogether.

You can sit around and sing kumbaya and share the knowledge all you want, just like corporate culture has told you to, but at some point you'll grow up and realize that you weren't encouraged to do that for your own benefit, but for your boss's. All these desperate attempts at justifying something that's obviously false just shows how wholesale you've swallowed a lie meant to make you more useful to executives at your own cost.

Survival of the fittest is not being afraid of the interns growth lmao

Sounds real fit to me lmao

Attached: IMG_20190426_055417.jpg (1440x2191, 168K)

You seem more like a dumb frogposter to me. You definitely wouldn't be recommended to work with and I certainly would want to have people like you in my team. If you were as skilled as you say you are they would give you a better position and comply with some of your demands (one of those being not having to deal with the intern), that doesn't seem to be the case though, so get your face out of your ass and be useful rather than being an obnoxious cunt.

Dude. if you're so irreplaceable, why don't you go complain to HR?

If this is your regular behavior, I guess they want the intern to learn what you do, so they can finally get rid of you.

Pic related, working with, or even being in the same vicinity as this user

Attached: a5lc8g6d28t21.jpg (1439x1392, 837K)

"I don't like you looking out for yourself" is not a particularly good argument against it.

>why intern no good

Attached: 1552790029709.jpg (1056x696, 51K)

it's nice to have someone you can trust on the job for when it's time for audits and your mandatory vacation period

This intern doesn't know what he is doing, he is clearly not a competitor, why would I be "afraid" of him?
Read the thread before posting. I've already said that they won't budge for some reason.
This intern is incompetent, it would be nearly impossible for him to learn the specialized skills that I have.
These posters are literal NPCs. These are the kind of guys who would train their indian replacement in exchange of a "severance package". If it came down to it, I would leave the company and leave my replacement to train himself.

Looking out for yourself would be to gain skills and knowledge that didn't make you feel so insecure that you have to sabotage your interns.

Attached: 49551454_950456698481051_4473158428184805376_n.png (640x568, 416K)

I'm pretty sure this poster is just the result of machine learning reading over BOFH entries.

>Looking out for yourself would be to gain skills and knowledge
And after that, refusing to impart those same skills and knowledge to a potential competitor is also looking out for yourself. This is not particularly complex, but apparently you're brainwashed beyond grasping simple concepts at this point.

>sysadmin being a whiney pussy bitch who fails to enable people

No wonder you people are becoming extinct, yikes.

Threads like this just prove you don't need college to get into CS/IT, so why is it so impossible to get a job without one?

most sysadmin positions are mental/physical handicap hires anyway, they're probably not going anywhere

this guy is clearly one of the mental handicap hires

What would that reason be then, user? If you are so important they would listen to what you have to say and give you some sort of response rather than keeping you completely in the dark.
>I've already said that they won't budge for some reason.
If you're not worthy of a reason then you're not as important as you think you are.

Lol, there's this place I know where the sysadmin recently died and literally nothing happened. Even funnier, said company didn't even put up a job posting to backfill his role. Really made me think. But ya you're right. Some of these people are just hard to get rid of till they retire or die.

Is machine learning that advanced? I stopped caring about that a long time ago.
This guys gets it, there is a reason most plentiful resources have little value. I want to keep myself competitive, I refuse to impart my knowledge because I want to keep earning 120k for doing almost nothing tedious for as long as possible.
If I'm a "handicap hire" then how come I'm responsible for the most critical systems in my company.
They said that the reasons were "confidential". Although I'm irreplaceable, is not like I'm a C-level officer, I still have some limits but they know that I'm too critical for the company and they can't touch me.

That's comforting

based

>If I'm a "handicap hire" then how come I'm responsible for the most critical systems in my company.
same reason a retard at a factory is trusted with operating a machine to make a $70,000 missile part

someone has to do it, and it can be anyone that doesn't have a more important job to be doing
that's you

>The guy didn't even know how to add himself to the sudoers file.
Most distros that I'm aware of create a sudo group that's in the sudoers file by default, and you give a user sudo by adding them to the sudo group without needing to modify the sudoers file

They aren't your competitor, they are there to help, your company wouldn't have hired another person if they didn't need it I'm assuming that is just bad business, because labor is expensive.

You are just so defensive and toxic that you think constructive people are brainwashed. I wonder how you ended up this way. I do systems engineering sort of work at a large company, and I love getting new hires, so they can take a bit off my plate, and I can work on more meaningful projects. If you are trying to protect the status quo in tech I've got bad news for you. Keep growing or fade away into obscurity.

Your logic is shit.
If the retard owning the machinery fucks up, the company is going to take a little it.
If I fuck up the critical systems on my company on the other hand, we lose millions of dollars every period of time.
shut up NPC.

>They said that the reasons were "confidential". Although I'm irreplaceable, is not like I'm a C-level officer, I still have some limits but they know that I'm too critical for the company and they can't touch me.
Keep living in your own little bubble, the fact that you are being left out on a piece of information that regards you to the fullest just proves that you are either not trustworthy enough or not in an important position at your workplace. You definitely seem replaceable to me and you're not the only pillar that keeps the company together otherwise you'd be treated differently.

ok, but fucking think dude.
In what scenario would an undergrad ever need to manually add themselves to a sudoers file.
Chances are all they had to do is virtualbox ubuntu and write some code all 4 years, and POSSIBLY use git for some team coding assignments.

He's a fucking intern. This is where he learns shit like this. I can't imagine how toxic you are to work with. Fuck.

he ended up that way cuz he's a fucking sysadmin. I worked as a "jr sysadmin" once. He's like the spitting image of the sysadmin I dealt with. Completely obtuse, can't program for shit, get's buttmad when you point out he's wrong, literally hates change and he thinks he owns your ass.

literal scum ass fucks. I no longer sysadmin, but I bet my ass I can replace OP's retarded ass without any problems.

grow the fuck up op. not everyone is like me who bothered to use Linux since I was in hs and fucked with shit and understood how garbage shit like POOSIX is. Teach a nigguh and maybe enable people to do good things.

Also protip dipshit, you're colleges at work are probably running prod services on desktops under your desks and using shit like WD external hard drives as a samba server.

>Your logic is shit.
sorry, disability hires are hard to dumb things down for
i don't quite have the soft skills your soft skull requires

I'm not a sysadmin, I do it once every couple years. There should just be a checkbox upon installation, even if it's disabled by default, for "give the default account sudoers access" because it's such an uninteresting task.

lol

>shut up NPC
At least now that you are starting to cope, you might soon realize how wrong you are, which is the only reason this thread has gotten so much attention. Perhaps a good troll attempt.

Trust me dude, this company has had countless opportunities to throw me to the curb and they haven't. They could probably hide that information just to fuck with me.
If that's how college students learn IT, then I'm glad I didn't waste my time and money going to college.
>cuz
>get's
>nigguh
>you're
That's why I'm making 120k a year and you are a NEET.

itt: OP doesn't know what an internship is

what distro? for debian, if you don't provide root pw you get added to a sudoers policy.

anaconda installer using distros, like fedora and centos, have a checkbox for making the user an "admin"

>They even made his schedule overlap mines
do you not work full time?

>That's why I'm making 120k a year and you are a NEET.

lmao wut? I'm not a NEET and you're making 120k a year because you are probably some 40-50 year old boomer who also intentionally sabatoges your employer with a garbage ass system that only your stupid ass can manage. Again, I've seen this faggy behavior before bitch ass nigga; you can't fool me.

One day someone is going to go in there and you're ass is going to be replaced by new projects and new products.

>They said that the reasons were "confidential".
Lol, they already decided to replace you.

I guess knowing how to install linux packages is not so irreplaceable skill as you think.

Yes. I work for 8 hours and he interns for 4 hours.
So HR made it where his intern hours "coincide" with the last half of my workday.
>tfw I'm 34
Why does Jow Forums call everyone they don't like a boomer?
I just don't want to waste my time and energy on people who are not worth it.

>HR made it where his intern hours "coincide" with the last half of my workday
Why is that weird? Did you expect them to have him come in during the middle of the night when everyone was gone?

>posts frogs
>complains about interns knowing fuck all
i can already tell that you're an insufferable cunt. why do you think that fag is an intern? because he doesn't know shit and he's there to learn. they only teach theory at uni and they work with debian-based distros of all things. they don't even go in depth with those.

>I guess knowing how to install linux packages is not so irreplaceable skill as you think.

he's got other weapons I'm sure, like incompetently written perl autism and shell garbage everywhere. probably hates systemdick too because it makes it too easy for normies to view logs and setup services.

>tfw I'm 34
so you're a fucking boomer cunt then. good to know. Don't you have a lawn to mow instead of autistically crying like a pussy bitch nigga about some guy who just wants to learn and make some side money?

I definitely wouldn't trust a person like you in my team.
You definitely seem to fit and 's description.
I wouldn't be suprised if people were to keep you out of every loop on purpose. Given what you seem to be like, you definitely deserve being fucked with. Open your eyes dude, you better have some to watch your back when you end up fucking up, otherwise nobody will come to save your sorry ass.

>senior linux sys admin can't use sed/awk and has problems with regex

thank god there is some rational comments on here, but then again this is Jow Forums where the egotistical come to flaunt their immense autistic skills because the real world won't welcome them

>30+ years old
>not a boomer

I never said that installing packages is what made me irreplaceable, it is the fact that I'm the only one who know how to keep the company's critical systems running and my skills are really hard to replace.
They know they are going to lose a whole lot more than I do if I get fired.
Even when I "lose" I end up winning, isn't life amazing for me?
I never said that it was "weird", I just said that HR and CIO are trying to shove the intern up on my face.
Are you telling me that it is normal for a college junior IT student to not know shit?
If a person doesn't learn anything about his career in 2 years, then what is the purpose of going to college?
You just opened my yes and made me realize that the intern has been wasting his time all along.
>pussy bitch nigga
gtfo nigger.

>Doctors sabotage your health just to keep getting appointments and to prescribe medicine that they get paid to prescribe.

literally what fucking world do you live in you literal fucking retard? holy fucking shit nigguh kill yourself right fucking now. I HOPE you die in your sleep like the last incompetent sysadmin fuck I know. You people are literal scum.

>gtfo nigger.

whitey mad that I could replace his bitch ass in a heartbeat. Lucky for you I don't give a single fuck about admining shit anymore since I probably have to work with retards like you or be an overglorified computer janitor.

>nigguh
Why won't you leave this thread you nigger?
I live in the US and my brother (who is a doctor) gets "vacations" and "benefits" to promote certain medications over another.
Literally most if not all of the doctors do this.

>ITT: neets and code monkeys about to be replaced by pajeets tell a sysadmin getting paid well to do an easy job that he's wrong to not make himself replaceable

>to promote certain medications over another
to medication where it is pretty much preference and not where it matters

>Are you telling me that it is normal for a college junior IT student to not know shit?
they teach you the absolute basics and theory at that so yes.
>If a person doesn't learn anything about his career in 2 years, then what is the purpose of going to college?
good point but honetly people get degrees just so they get paid more. better diploma = higher salary
>You just opened my yes and made me realize that the intern has been wasting his time all along.
tell that to your boss and post results, fag.

>Even when I "lose" I end up winning, isn't life amazing for me?
I'm going to tell you secret. They don't care, they already started to hire people so you are not alone who knows the infrastructure. If you remain the insufferable bitch, you will be out even if it means losing money. Especially if they realize you're willing to sabotage the company to keep your nice place. You're a liability.

>sysadmin
>needing a college degree

lmfao

Fag OP comes complaining on a platform that is mostly filled by neets, code monkeys pajeets and other cancerous commitees, he starts shitting on others, deserves to be shat on for the retard he is.

At least that intern can traverse a binary tree lmao

Sysadmins literally read a manual and think they are smart. This is why people see sysadmins as incompetent assholes.

The funny thing is that I actually wouldn't mind to help the fella out if he knew what he was doing.
I REFUSE to help a junior college student that has "taken" two linux classes who has no idea about linux in general.
It really is a waste of my time.
>better diploma = higher salary
I can tell that you don't work in IT.
> If you remain the insufferable bitch, you will be out even if it means losing money.
It's not that they are going to use money, it is that they will go out of business if the critical systems are not properly managed.
It was their mistake to have a single point of failure, maybe they should've updated their critical hardware so they wouldn't get into situations like this where only 0.01% of the IT workplace can manage their shit.
COPE

If the alternative is to go out of business, they will invest any kind of money to keep it running, which makes you even more replaceable. Keep in mind that the management doesn't know how their system runs or how difficult it is to fix until it blows up .You're only important in your own eyes and they will realize how difficult you're to replace only after you're out.

I work as a computer engineer floating between electronics and software and after about 4 months on the job, even for a new grad, you blow sysadmins out of the water (we do embedded linux). Low-hanging fruit tier IT jobs will be going away soon once old people who don't know how to configure printers start dying off.

Attached: blessed_image.png (1280x720, 1.89M)

>The funny thing is that I actually wouldn't mind to help the fella out if he knew what he was doing.
Yes, you do mind, you made a whole thread about the situation. If you didn't mind trying to help him out then you wouldn't be shitting on the "fella" so much, you'd be asking what would a better approach be to ensure that you're a good mentor and that he's actually learning properly.
You yourself stated that he's been in for only 6 months, give him time to learn everything there is to know about the workplace and he'll certainly prove worthy, he might even end up saving your ass at some point. You seem more like a waste of his time, I'm sure he already replaced you as a source to gather information on how the workplace is structured from. If I stick to that assumption, if he replace you as his "mentor", then you'll be as much replaced as a sysadmin.