/clg/ - Cheap Laptop General

Have pic related for two weeks already.
AMA

Attached: WP_000378.jpg (2592x1944, 959K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/134876/intel-core-i5-8300h-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-00-ghz.html
youtube.com/watch?v=QMv_f2atWUM
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deforestation_in_the_United_States
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

So yeah, About 14 days.
Before that I had MacBook Air 2014 13"

Attached: Screenshot_20190427_215057.png (965x629, 86K)

still using a $350 toshiba from best buy's short lived outlet site, cowboom, that I purchased in 2015. I don't even feel like upgrading.

Attached: Screenshot_20190427_220056.png (695x252, 37K)

nice blogpost

I wouldn't update my MacBook too, but charger died, SSD died, that is already like $230. New Acer was like $480.

wouldn't have updated*

bought it for 200 bucks. Originally came with windows s

Attached: laptop_neofetch.png (802x396, 74K)

I bought this

Attached: ebay.png (939x540, 257K)

What's the current equivalent processor of a 2013 i7-4700MQ? I need a replacement for my HP Envy. Are ryzen mobile cpus any good?

> Are ryzen mobile cpus any good?
Well, it is way better than Core i5-4260u I had in macbook.
It has way better graphics. (I kept Windows for muh gamez for this reason).
I don't know about modern intels though

Oh boy, Windows is a fucking piece of shit.
How do I remove Windows without

>without

without fucking up everything. Is it possible to expand butter?

By remove windows, do you mean you'd like to install another OS? I'm pretty sure that you will need to install a different BIOS on most laptops. A popular one is LibreBoot.

That's still a really powerful processor, the equivalent nowadays is the i5 8750H, the 4700 will actually perform better than the low voltage 8250u but with way worse batter life of course. Ryzen mobile is power hungry relative to Intel

>By remove windows, do you mean you'd like to install another OS?
No, I mean expand current root partition to proper size.
>I'm pretty sure that you will need to install a different BIOS on most laptops. A popular one is LibreBoot.
No, not really. On Acer you need to install supervisor password in BIOS, disable secure boot, and that is it.
They sell them with Ubuntu after all.

Not really, they have same TDP

Okay, looks like openSUSE still boots.
How do I remove EFI garbage windows put on my HDD

>JADE

Attached: 1531486289746.jpg (613x531, 36K)

Anyone have a Legion Y740? What do you hate about it?

Yeah I know any XXXXu processor is shite. Well I guess I'll just upgrade to an SSD and hope this hp body holds on for a couple more years

Not in case of AMD though. Their 2500U actually impressed me after 4260U. Same power consumption* yet more cores, more single-tread performance...

>Yeah I know any XXXXu processor is shite.
Depends on generation and also the manufacturer set power limit. An 'unlocked' 8250U will trade blows with a 6th Generation H CPU. A 8250U with 15W burst/sustained limit is obviously going to perform like shit.

Cheap laptop is $75 and less
1080hd video 60fps

This count?

Been using it for the better part of the year so far. Unlike the thinkpads I’ve similarly acquired, it hasn’t crapped out yet. So I’m going to max out the ram soon from its current 3gb.

Additional expenditures so far, needed an ac adapter, and put in an ssd.

Attached: EDA57843-8E31-4DCE-B928-6129BAE06B80.jpg (1000x750, 63K)

Yeah.
>$15

I have the Y7000 and unironically love it. I keep it on a cooling pad when playing gaymes and expect it to be around for awhile.

Best used laptop under $400?

Attached: kaapo1.png (691x609, 261K)

Depends what you want. Looking for a workstation or something portable?

rescued my old lappy with lubuntu, then installed i3 on top of it. I don't really like lxde, I just had it installed for some defauts

Attached: 2019-04-28-124547_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 186K)

Got myself this guy from ebay not too long ago, but the fuck didn't put how hot the damn thing gets, goes from 100F to 135-145F in a span of a minute and I'm thinking I've been jipped. Thinking about ordering some new paste to apply but wondering if its worth it.

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (777x1600, 285K)

A decent workstation mostly

So after doing some research I should have before buying, it turns out that those heat levels are pretty regular and that it can survive up to 200F. All the same, I'm going to see if I can't change the paste, maybe try one of those graphite pads, underclock it a bit so it doesn't heat up too much, give it a more thorough cleaning and possibly get an Opolar to help with the heat. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and remember to do your research, kids!

Just making a small adjustment to your statement, the CPU you want to compare is the I5 8300H, a 4/8 cpu
ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/134876/intel-core-i5-8300h-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-00-ghz.html

New or used?

Than cheap laptop isn't for you.
Cheap laptop is a compromise between having decent HW, and not having 10 kg brick

What brand is it?
62C is ok. 90C is something to worry about.

Old latitude/precisions and elitebooks are pretty great. I think the m6500 or m4600 are good choices. Either that or the elitebook 8740w with the dreamcolor display

>buying a 1366x768 TN screen in 2019

Attached: .jpg (720x480, 58K)

Get yourself a nice laptop base with fans. They are fairly thin and plug into a USB port and really help cool things down. They are fairly inexpensive too.

this is what /tpg/ should have been since the beginning but those niggas are just as gay as applefags.
Acer Aspire 5741z reporting in
>8GB RAM 1066mhz
>240GB SSD (I can put in another one if I take the DVD driver out)
>9 cell battery
>Intel Pentium P6100 1.86 GHz
>Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) HD Graphics
It was laying around in my house. I just changed the keyboard and bought the RAM, SSD and Battery.
It is holding like 6 hours of use and I have an old battery to use when I'm at home perma-charging.
I also bought a monitor support for my desktop monitor so I can use it as a second screen for the notebook.
I spent 163,16USD in total.
Eventually I'll turn the HDD in the desktop computer into an external storage device. Just need a case.
Did I do good? I'm an Information Systems freshman, so I don't think I will need more than that.

Attached: notebook-acer-aspire-5741z-4888-4gb-hd-250-dvd-tela-151-D_NQ_NP_639290-MLB26749175258_022018-F.jpg (1200x900, 135K)

Further more, it is shitty ChiMei LCD.
I am planning to get an LG TN panel with higher resolution.

Yep, it is a based machine.
I have PackardBell TK81 (same series, but slightly different case) but with AMD Phenom II. Shit is still working for some reason

Do you guys get chinkshit replacement batteries and power adapters or OEM? Whenever I get the knock off stuff it sucks, but works.

>power adapters
They usually don't die. I found all these adapters in trash, and all of them are working fine.
You can disassemble one by using acetone or even better use gasoline. This will allow you to solder in new cable, which you can buy from Aliexpress.
>Do you guys get chinkshit replacement batteries
I ordered once. It had Chinese cells, which are kinda shitty, only 1800 mAh, instead of 2600 mAh.
I recommend you replacing cells in those things. But some battery controllers will need to be flashed.

Attached: WP_000371.jpg (2592x1944, 597K)

>1066 MHz RAM
>pentium
>consumer-grade flat key garbage
I'm pretty sure getting a good business-grade laptop wouldn't cost much, and you'd get a much better machine with many features you won't find in a laptop like yours.

That keyboard is actually OK. But Pentium is the real issue.

Anyone have issues with Linux distros draining their laptop's battery even while shutdown? How do you fix this shit, Windows doesn't even do this.

>MacBook
You can't do anything about it. Enjoy 80% of battery life on Windows or OS X
>Acer
No problems at all. Same shy 4-5 hours on Windows and same shy 4-5 hours on Linux.
Very HW depended.

>of Windows or OS X
fix

i plan to get a g3 sometime, i wanted one my whole life w someone had one at summer school once playing ut99 i went nuts, also the 2009 last white macbook is equally beautiful - fuck modern macs they all just grey boxes (much like how pcs used to all be beige boxes)

>That keyboard is actually OK
Better travel than I'd expect tbqh. But there's no way to tell when I miss a key, like if I hit between keys or something. This might stop happening when I become used to it as a whole.
>I'm pretty sure getting a good business-grade laptop wouldn't cost much
Not where I live.
>>pentium
>But Pentium is the real issue
It's late late Pentium, it's equivalent to the first i5.
>many features you won't find in a laptop like yours
Like what exactly? To be more precise, something I'd miss as an Information Systems student?
I feel like I can use this notebook at least until I'm past the first half of the course.

Attached: 1442985450868.jpg (393x390, 46K)

>Better travel than I'd expect tbqh. But there's no way to tell when I miss a key, like if I hit between keys or something. This might stop happening when I become used to it as a whole.
Idk, for me it is easy, since they have pretty sharp edge.
>It's late late Pentium, it's equivalent to the first i5.
Yeah, but still. P6100 is 35W CPU with not much chooch for a chach. It is Core2 tier.

>It's late late Pentium, it's equivalent to the first i5.
It's a dual core, and a weak one at that. My core 2 duo machine is getting to the point where heavy js makes basic web browsing annoying, and 2 cores aren't enough these days.
>I'm pretty sure getting a good business-grade laptop wouldn't cost much
Think again, even here in Poland, where electronics are noticably more expensive than in burgerland, a x220 that would blow your laptop away costs barely above $100, and can go up to 16 GiB of RAM, which will make it usable for longer as software inevitably gets bloated, and don't get me started about the IPC leap over core 2 duo era.
>Like what exactly? To be more precise, something I'd miss as an Information Systems student?
Conveniences like a dedicated docking station port (and an option to get one), hot swapable slot where you'd normally have an optical drive, a pointing stitck, physical rfkill switch, servicability, durability, availability of options like a TPM module to enhance full-disk encryption.

I see. But that's what I was able to get now.
I might get a T480 2 years from now or something better if I travel to a better country as an exchange student.

>It's a dual core, and a weak one at that. My core 2 duo machine is getting to the point where heavy js makes basic web browsing annoying, and 2 cores aren't enough these days.
I haven't experienced this. Yet.
>Think again, even here in Poland, where electronics are noticably more expensive than in burgerland, a x220 that would blow your laptop away costs barely above $100
No. I'm not in Poland. I'm in a third world country. My first option was a X201 and with the money I was going to buy it and refurbish it I did everything I needed for the Acer even the keyboard and the monitor support and still spent so much less. But then again, the acer wasn't bought was already here in my house. I just upgraded it.
>Conveniences like a dedicated docking station port (and an option to get one), hot swapable slot where you'd normally have an optical drive, a pointing stitck, physical rfkill switch, servicability, durability, availability of options like a TPM module to enhance full-disk encryption.
None of that is specific to my situation.

Attached: 1475725225340.png (640x640, 719K)

Not him, but
>hot swapable slot where you'd normally have an optical drive,
That would be handy, but I have doubts that mobo supports it. Also, not all laptops have ODD nowadays.
>Conveniences like a dedicated docking station port (and an option to get one)
>a pointing stitck, physical rfkill switch
Those are gimmicks. I prefer touchpad to clit.
> servicability, durability, availability
Cheap laptops are pretty serviceable (unless it is super cheap all-soldered garbage). Parts are dirt cheap. Reliability is reasonable, but durability, you know, cheap laptops use plastic, and especially Lenovo has no fucking clue about material science.
>of options like a TPM module to enhance full-disk encryption.
TPM modules are available in many cheap laptops.

In which country are you? Just curious.

Bananaland
youtube.com/watch?v=QMv_f2atWUM

I have some HP laptop. It looks like it might be hardware related as all the forum posts I'm finding are dealing with HP laptops (my searches don't specify my laptop), but I'm also finding that some cases are due to Ubuntu and its flavors setting stuff like WOL on by default and still providing power to all USB ports despite shutting down through the button or OS.

I might try Fedora instead, I found some posts that Fedora doesn't have this issue because it supposedly has better battery management that even the most recent Ubuntu doesn't have.

At least you have $2000+ birds flying around for free. And most cheap roller coasters, your micro buses.
Why all latin countries have pretty limited choice of everything? Even developed ones, like Chile?
Fedora is generally better, than anything debian.
OpenSUSE is good too.

Things are available. They just are too expensive.
Brazil has 60% taxes over the price of everything over 100 dollars (shipping expenses included).
A New 3DS XL, not the latest tech in the market, costs 305,29 USD.
Thinkpads and used notebooks, in general, were a good option until recently. But people realized that there is a market for that and prices went up.
To get a T450 I would end up spending 450+USD. And that's a lot of money for me.

Attached: Do75JYcXoAAWTjp.jpg (1384x2048, 374K)

new

Holy shit, you brazilians still live like that? I've heard those horror stories from other people as well, get your shit together brazil.

And stop chopping down all of those trees, 8 billion people rely on them unironically. Fuck your 100000 starving villagers, they don't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Well, that unironically sucks.
In Chile at least you can order stuff from everywhere else for 20-ish % tax, and 99.9% of people are lucky and don't pay it.
In other banana republic, but north and without bananas, russia, shit is still cheaper, despite taxes and corruption.
I guess monkey soup comes at high price.

yeah, the lungs of the world, right?
fuck you. go mind your own forests.
The Rainforest is so big you probably can even understand how big it is.
The USA have deforested way more than we have and I never heard anyone saying shit about it. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deforestation_in_the_United_States
This is just geopolitics. "Farms here, forests there".
A huge lot of the Rainforest is reserved to fake indians that act for the agenda of international governments through fake nonprofit organizations. We have indians that can speak german or french but can't speak portuguese. And they are always asking for more land and trying to make trouble, barring roads, telling you to pay the toll to go through or they gonna arrow you or some shit.
I don't live near indians, I'm from the more urbanized part of the country, the south-east, but I heard from college friends that they are completely integrated in society but still LARP as indias for gibbie monis and/or gibbie land. They all have iphones, ps4s and go around in their 4x4 trucks.
The text on the bottom indian photo says: at the manifestation in front of the congress the indian's tutor said he could not answer any question from the journo because "he can't speak the white men language". suddenly he took a smartphone out of his pocket and started messaging people.
pls don't talk about you don't understand

Attached: reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.png (2000x2000, 3.99M)

>yeah, the lungs of the world, right?
>fuck you. go mind your own forests.
Based. Fuck rain forest.
Whiteoids must think about their problems. Plant a tree in backyard, idk. Do something.

Ironic or not, you didn't get it.

I was made to post in this thread.

Anyone else waiting for 2nd gen Ryzen APUs, seems pointless getting a 1st gen, especially since there are apparently a lot of fixes to power management, thermals, etc.

how solidworks ready are those cheap laptops?
accepting suggestions on processor/gpu for such usage.
t. broke mechanical engineering undergrad

I used to have one of those but with an i5. Pretty good machine, I bought it used and literally abused it for like six years by mindlessly tossing it into backpacks until I couldn't fix it anymore. HP is pretty good for old or low tier machines too, they have lots of service manuals and driver downloads available.

Yeah, I really want to see how Zen2 does on mobile processors.

I don't know. I can test it for you, if you say me how to use it

Going back to school and need a cheap laptop, already have a good windows desktop.

2015 MBP vs a cheap thinkpad. What should I get?

>this is what /tpg/ should have been
No, /tpg/ is for business laptops. The opposite of cheap.

An old thinkpad from ebay is the official, correct laptop

T440p

>buy used laptop on ebay
>emits odor of cigarettes even after complete teardown and cleaning

Is this rare or are all used laptops trash? Thinking of paying the premium for a certified refurbished Dell M6800.

anyone know where i can get a laptop with a gtx 960m for around $100~$200

Hardly unless its for parts or garbage condition or you get super lucky

>Cheap Laptop
Depends on price/spec.

Probably the cheapest? Cost me around $10 because it had a broken LCD.

It's a Dell Vostro 1015 - Core 2 Duo T6670, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, DVD-RW. Runs Windows 7 Pro (even has a COA sticker for it) and probably either Xubuntu or Debian 9 alongside in the future.

Attached: 2019-03-24 13.57.27.jpg (2880x2160, 1.41M)

Why?

>They usually don't die
yes

Almost as me, faggot.
What the graphics?

Is it true that Dell laptops often have a shitty build quality?

GMA 4500MHD.

that's a weak piece of shit chipset

Yeah but for surfing internet it's fine.

And it's a lot better than the utter hot garbage that the other laptop I have (AMD E-450 APU) is. That shit can't even run XP without choking.

I'm on a shitty HD2000 but acceleration on a full bluray disc and browsing is pretty smooth, with other shit running.

>HD2000
I did have such a laptop, but it died after some "experienced tech" broke the hinges when he tried to replace a broken LCD.

That, and god forbid if I'm touching Acer ever again. I sent that laptop TWICE in their service because the screen would flicker, and TWICE they sent it back to me with the same issue.

I'm not touching any of their stuff again. DELL or anything else than Acer.

>I sent that laptop TWICE in their service because the screen would flicker, and TWICE they sent it back to me with the same issue.
By that I meant Acer's service, not the "experienced tech's shop".

Test

So now you're implying you can't change a measly lcd display?

Nope, not at all.

What I meant is Acer's RMA service is so shit they replaced my LCD when it was under warranty and twice it exhibited the same issue.

Then, I went to a repair shop (mind you I didn't have the money to buy a LCD back then nor I was having any trust in the chink shops selling them) and the idiot working there broke both hinges. I did manage to fix both issues (broken LCD and hinges) a few years later only to find out he also broke the WiFi wires.

At that point I totally said "fuck this shit, I'm tired of dealing with all this crap" and bought that Core 2 Duo T6670-based Dell.

Not only it was easier to work with it but also it works much better than the two craptacular Acer laptops (the E-450 and a Celeron B800, the one with broken hinges) ever did.

>he also broke the WiFi wires
Holy shit!

What's the best cheap AMD laptop?

Attached: champagne_pepe.png (788x685, 369K)

How do you "break" the WiFi cable? Did he yank on it too hard?

>How do you "break" the WiFi cable? Did he yank on it too hard?

I wish I'd knew. Both antennae ends that go to the Wifi card (Intel Centrino Wireless N-100) were missing, and the wires were snapped right near the hinges.

Anyways, the laptop was pretty shit to begin with, so not a big loss. 1.5GHz Celeron (Sandy Bridge, dual core), 2GB DDR3 (not even 4GB baka) and a 500GB HDD slower than a 15GB Quantum Fireball.

I once bid on a Aspire 5749 from the UK. Same internals as mine (5349) but it came with a i3 (which is a lot better). Sadly got outbid, and the only thing missing to it were just RAM, HDD, battery and keyboard - all of which I could swap in from my 5349.

200€ + the cost of a cheap 4 GB ram stick

Attached: IMG_20190429_103156.jpg (2976x3968, 2.22M)

How's the pointer nub on those latitudes? Any good?