Opengl or vulkan and why

opengl or vulkan and why

Attached: 1540340028628.jpg (2507x3541, 911K)

Directx because it is standard

Depends.
If you care about supporting old hardware: OpenGL.
Otherwise: Vulkan.

fpbp
/thread
OP BTFO

Vulkan for muh linux gayming.

>helmet not protecting the ears
Terrible, why would you not build proper tech to protect your neko soldiers?

Yes.

Because they give an offense bonus, such as giving their enemies heart attacks.

Vulkan bc opengl is deprecated on macOS :( Idk im a apple shill

this shit annoys me so god damn much, I recently opened up old opengl project, compile and BAM a billion fucking deprecation errors.
Literally every single method is marked deprecated.
Kill me.

Does anyone even make their own engine anymore instead of just using UE4/Unity?

Yes, most real developers do, Unity is for indie developers

They “say” they deprecared openGL but when I opened Dolphin which supposedly uses openGL it still works ?? :/

You don't know what deprecated means.

Deprecated still means "supported", unless you're using the core or a "forwards-compatible" profile, which I think barely anyone does.
If you have that many warnings, it's probably a case of you using that ancient fixed function pipeline.

opengl for small things because less setup
vulkan otherwise because its better

Vulkan because OpenGL is deprecated.

>Directx
>standard

An API that is closed-source and only works with one operating system is never standard, user.

Attached: err.jpg (648x720, 105K)

It depends on your game and your experience. Vulkan is the future, but OGL is still quite viable. If you want to learn one to make games I'd recommend going with Vulkan (it'll completely replace OpenGL, and if used right the games will have a better performance), if you need to handle old OGL code tho, go with OGL.

opengl for legacy systems
vulkan for anything new
don't bother with directx11 and previous unless you want legacy windows support
directx12 api is almost 1:1 renaming of vulkan, learn one and you know the other.
I suggest opengl 4.5+ then vulkan when you know your way with buffers and the gang.

the one OS you're talking about IS the standard

If you have never used either go opengl
Vulkan is still new-ish and does not have many great tutorials for beginners.
Vulkan is aimed at high end graphics and not for a single person project.

Standard? Then why isn't it in every OS? Maybe you meant to say "bootlicker's choice".

and how will that happen?

Back to /v/eddit, kiddos.

Attached: image.jpg (900x600, 200K)

vulkan of course.

Attached: Vulkan-API-41-740x416.jpg (740x416, 66K)

Vulkan
OpenGL is soon to be deprecated, plus it's not even supported that well anymore, nor can it utilize modern hardware/drives as well

The ears are attached to the helmet, not the person. You can clearly see that there is no gap through which the ears can come out from under the helmet. Are you retarded or pretending?

>opengl and vulkan can only be used to make games
kys

Biggest load of shit ever. Look at the frame rate comparison and vulkan doesn't have screen tearing. It's also great for low powered devices

>Look at the frame rate comparison
look at the code you dipshit, vulkan and dx12 have the same architecture and functions are very alike.
>vulkan doesn't have screen tearing
They have the same "problem", either turn on vsync, adaptive sync or get 100+ constant frame (on a 60hz monitor).
>It's also great for low powered devices
no shit, dx12 is windows-only.

does not change the fact that opengl then vulkan is the best way to learn computer graphics
you can render static scenes are 1000+fps with any gtx960 and newer middle class gpus with opengl, performance is a non-problem for any begginer in 2019
even a fucking i5 3200 (from 2013) can render moving scenes at 200 fps
you will learn way more if you start with opengl as you have shitload of ressources on the internet

>vulkan doesn't have screen tearing
that has nothing to do with the API you're using dumbass

How could they hear if their ears are covered

It's really not worth learning opengl these days. Lots of deprecated stuff, you don't know best way to do things because shit is totally driver dependant. You should only use opengl 3.3 at most, for legacy purposes. Otherwise just use Vulkan instead of """"modern"""" opengl. It really isn't worth it.

For just programming simple things I like opengl

Opengl es 2.0 for maximum compatibility, vulkan if you want more modern features.

to add: Use opengl 2.0 or 3.3 for shitty 2d stuff or simple 3d scenes. Vulkan is the way to go (and to invest in, for know-how) if you are planning serious stuff because your clients will also be using newer hardware that supports Vulkan.

Pray tell, what are you using it for then?

developing games is technology. fuck off back to whatever battlestation thread you came from.

Someone that can actually draw would be a nice start OP.

are you retarded or something?
>vfx
no opengl no animated movies (pixar uses centOS btw)
>CAD
no CAD software, nothing complex can even exist
>medical image rendering
Do I need to explain?
>deep learning
to generate random data to teach NN, motion tracking
>physic simulation
to display mathematic model in 3D (weather, nuclear, etc)
>compositor in linux
kde use opengl for example

games are worthless against these examples.

GNU/Linux noob here, how do I enable Vulkan in Antergos?

baitpost

very obviously vulkan, what kind of question is this

i wanted to try using vulkan but my computers too old
feels bad.

>game industry worth gorillion dollars
>useless because uhhh not practical

Vulkan, as long as you're fine with being 1000+ lines of code deep before you can even draw a triangle.

games are worth more than the music and film industries combined you contrarian retard

vulkan
it is fucking comfy as hell, especially using the C++ api
the explicitness makes it very easy to learn