Are Android tablets still garbage? Thinking of picking up the tab S5e for $640 AUD over the iPad Air which is $780...

Are Android tablets still garbage? Thinking of picking up the tab S5e for $640 AUD over the iPad Air which is $780, mostly for the OLED screen, DeX and "edge to edge" display. The processor leaves a lot to be desired though.

Attached: 1546423340194.jpg (706x706, 44K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VvD23o65Xwk
youtu.be/G_vtXsTwVwI
youtube.com/watch?v=AJ-Pn3deV3E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Attached: 1529361474767.png (1301x931, 1.5M)

This doesn't really answer the question? The S5e has a Snapdragon 670 which is slower than the A12, both in real world usage and in benchmarks. I don't care for gaming but if someone did, the 670's GPU is also dogshit.

>slower than the A12
Wrong.

But... it is?

see

iTODDLERS BTFO

Attached: 1553257364471.gif (540x304, 1.86M)

See what? That doesn't compare the SD670 with the A12.
Only comparison I can find is of the 835 vs A10x, 835 is about 10% faster than the 670 and A10x is about 30% slower than the A12 (mute the video).
youtube.com/watch?v=VvD23o65Xwk
Why are people on this board so retarded?

Just get a Surface Pro 5 if you care about Dex and having a proper UI. Android and iOS will always be trash.

Attached: 1533851251209.png (708x948, 743K)

Already have a laptop for serious work, besides that the SP5 is like $1,500.
DeX is a plus for when I don't want to lug my laptop around to class but that's about it. Pen support is irrelevant to me since my handwriting is illegible, otherwise the Air would be the obvious choice for note taking.

Seconding this. The fact you have zero control over iThings makes them garbage when Apple flips their killswitch, and rooting andoid is far more bullshit than it needs to be.

>SP5 is like $1,500.
u wot m8

Attached: 1553859529118.png (942x669, 214K)

Just looked at first result on Google. Still, that would be around $1,000 here and as I already have a laptop I don't see a reason to pick up.

Attached: 1539120862615.jpg (1152x722, 356K)

I considered getting the S5e for a while myself. Reviewers seem to like it, the CPU isn't the best, but it should be fine for everything but high-end gaming: youtu.be/G_vtXsTwVwI
The screen is the best on the market, unless you "need" 120 Hz.

I ended up getting a great deal on a ZenPad 3S so I got that instead.

*blocks your path*
youtube.com/watch?v=AJ-Pn3deV3E

>Porsche
>Konqi
>A swastika
what even are these programs?

[Citation Needed]

depends entirely on what you want to use it for

Media consumption, taking notes, scanning documents, web browsing, etc.

If you want to take notes ipad air is better with the apple pencil.

I type out notes because I can't read my own handwriting half the time, I think I may have a writing disability as I've spent hundreds of hours trying to improve it over the years with no luck.

.>lagPad

Attached: 1545071129615.jpg (907x1242, 266K)

>media
should be fine
>taking notes
works fine. i use keep since it syncs to your google account meaning you can access it anywhere at keep.google.com (same as every other google app e.g. drive, photos, etc). if you're using android, you're probably not so opposed to google that you'd refuse to use their apps, so i recommend that.
>scanning
idk, camera should work fine though
>browsing
chrome is one of the first targets for web devs
main problem is lack of good adblock solutions, your options are either dns blocklist, something idr that requires root temporarily, or something like a pi-hole

I'm pretty sure you can use adhell to block ads on samsung tablets. It uses knox to block ads system wide.

>works fine. i use keep since it syncs to your google account
I figured I'd use either Keep or OneNote, I'll give them both a shot I suppose. There's no apps like Notability on Android unfortunately but I don't need all the features in the world.
>camera should work fine though
I think the main thing would be apps that convert pictures into flat documents, not sure how many there are on Android.
>main problem is lack of good adblock solutions
Samsung Browser is based on Chromium I believe and supports adblock so that isn't an issue.

I can only see 3 uses for a tablet:
web surfing, video and games. Basically just consuming. Apart from gaming, you don't need super high end hardware. You don't need a camera at all etc. I don't really see the point, but if I had to choose a tablet, I'd go for the cheapest good screen I can get

keep is more for small things, onenote is more for big things
i use keep for just random things i need to remember or for to do lists, i use onenote when i have a lot of information and some rich content like spreadsheets or pictures or whatever

we have tablets at work that people use for spreadsheets, documents, etc
a couple of our more heavy users have bluetooth keyboards they connect, but most people are just doing light work on them and are fine without

Guess I'll use OneNote as my notes tend to be long as fuck, looks like you can record audio with it too and insert the audio into the note which is useful.

i think onenote can do something similar with respect to syncing by way of onedrive
you may want to spend some time looking into how to get that set up, it's extremely convenient to be able to access notes on your phone from your computer and vice versa and it's especially nice to have it backed up for you

I cannot imagine a tablet is the best tool for the job in any case.

it's not the optimal tool for doing word processing or spreadsheets in general but given the environment they're doing work in, using a laptop isn't really viable

I too wish my phone couldn't fit in my pocket or make calls.