People with multiple computers/laptops, how do you keep your work synced between your machines?

People with multiple computers/laptops, how do you keep your work synced between your machines?
How do you deal with switching from laptop to desktop when coming home from uni/work?

Attached: índice.jpg (355x142, 8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Briefcase_(Microsoft_Windows)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Git for code, a mix of rsync and drive syncs over locally-encrypted files on various cloud services for everything else.

different machines are intended for different work, so i don't
if something needs to be shared between the machines, they're all set up for network shares

>not having just one computer and using remote desktop to access it from anywhere on any computer

Attached: 1537364366175.jpg (1920x1619, 894K)

>File and random shit

NextCloud

>Code

GitLab

Office 365 and Onedrive.

I have a server I keep my git repositorys on. Everything else I just do ssh/scp or maybe rsync

syncthing your home folder

This shit has so many downfalls. I bet you want to recommend TeamViewer.

How do you guys keep your code in sync between machines?

Old computer running as a NAS (just running samba, you don't need anything fancy) and a rsync script with switches set to avoid removing data for my own safety.

this

lern2git

seriously, how are you asking this question?

I've got a simple server and some large portable hard drives. SSH, SMB, the usual poop.

I have literally never gotten Samba to work properly. No idea what I fuck up on.

my work stays on my desktop at work. after 4pm my employer doesn't exist

USB stick

>not calling it the zip disquette usb thumb dongle drive

I use 1 machine with git for personal stuff
At work we use a custom version of perforce and write files to what essentially are network shares.

I guess I've been fortunate to not need to deal with this shit

nextcloud and git, what a fucking brainlet question. you DO have a server right?

This bad boy

Attached: synology_ds718_diskstation_2_bay_nas_1364345.jpg (1000x1000, 90K)

Do you guys just push WIP code whenever you switch computers? What do you do if you forget to push?

I use Syncthing on a Raspberry Pi.

I keep work and home 100% separated like a normal human being.

Nice try nsa

>like a normal human being.

Do you mean like a poorfag wagecuck without a responsibility job.

cry, go back, push

nice shitpost retard

All my machines are ssh accessible through a VPN. WIP stuff goes in a separate branch and when it is finished it gets merged as cleaned up and isolated commits. I have shared clipboard thru kde connect too so sometimes I just copy and paste small stuff.

Usually WIP stuff stays on the computer it's being worked on too. But if I push it to git it's always in a new branch. I think there's even another way to put like a one off divergence into git but I don't know all the features. Making a new branch then merging it back in is easy enough though. Oh yeah, another way is to keep a different repo then use squash and/or cherry-pick before pushing to the main repo. So for example, if I have work with my company, I'll push to my own server, then before I push to the company server I clean up all my commits and it doesnt cause issues since I'm the only person that ever had the commits I changed.

Python -m SimpleHTTPServer

Shieeeeet

Google Drive, OneNote, and Github. I need to git gud and figure out how to automatically sync

my own file sync system, based on my server

Work stuff stays at work, and git is used to keep code in sync between laptop and dev VMs. Personal bulk data stays on NAS. Syncthing and a few rsync cronjobs keep non-code vitals up to date on personal machines.

iCloud for files is actually pretty reasonable, it's $1.00/month for 50GB which is more than I need and it syncs with all my Apple devices. If you are an Android user then just use Google Drive and pay for whatever you need. If you're a freetard then run OwnCloud on a VPS or your own hardware or something

Attached: 1554685867804.jpg (1374x1425, 391K)

>your work synced between your machines?
You don't. You do your work on one computer and use the others to access that computer if you need to.

Based

I'll be extra homo and than make a thread on 4chann about it.

this.

Dropbox and zip diskettes

custom background/server (python)
synergy

Syncthing, used to use dropbox but dropped them once they started removing features for free tier. I wanted to switch to a local solution anyways, that was just the last push.

syncthing

can just turn on my laptop, let it sync changes to my laptop, go overseas, keep working with the same dataset, trickle-syncing as i go if internet access is available, then when i get back, it catches up and i can continue where i left off
online-only services aren't an option, since that'd be slow and subject to internet availability, and services which sync only with an online service (not LAN) aren't an option either, since even my home internet has pitiful upload speeds

Man, you must be such a productive person i bet you work in some FAANG comany don't you?

I use seafile, which is a little known sync client I moved to after I realized how architecturally flawed owncloud/nextcloud is (it syncs files one at a time - completely impractical for large datasets). It works pretty well, but it's starting to get bogged down with all the git repos I have syncing. too many files in them

Barrier for input devices and ssh for files.

Attached: 20190421_164726.jpg (4032x1960, 2.89M)

encrypted rclone on G Drive

Maximum comfy. I want to be your roomie for life.

You must live in Canada, or have a really expensive electric bill. Or are comfy in 95 degree weather. Baller setup though.

How would you sync a Firefox profile across multiple devices? Bookmarks, addons, etc. That's my only real thing I need since I use about 4 computers throughout the day.

Google Drive
Google Chrome

:^)

i use a flash drive

Attached: index.jpg (182x168, 6K)

Using Ubuntu, MEGA was my main sync app, now I'm Apple fag, iCloud is the best, $0.99/month for 50GB

Yeah. Before I close my work / home / parent's home computer I commit whatever's in progress with then comment "ping"

I rarely forget since it's a routine for me, but when I do I just work on something that doesn't touch whatever I was working on.

X11 forwarding, sshfs and kdeconnect

Resillio sync is bae

fuse-sshfs "network drive" on my home server. Can access my files anywhere from any machine.

From anywhere? You mean anywhere within your LAN or do you open ports? Sounds very insecure.

Any small files or documents I sync over my Nextcloud server. While any large projects I push over rsync to my server.

I have a tiny x86 PC running Linux that acts as a file server. All my machines run some flavor of *nix so it's piss easy to copy shit over SSH using FileZilla. Wangtards will never know this kind of comfy, since their outdated DOS leftovers is incompatible with everything but itself.

Attached: kfdrah.png (590x491, 72K)

>filezilla on *nix
>not sshfs

>Not using apple
My phone laptop and desktop all sync together. It's as easy as taking a photo and clicking save and choosing my desktop folder and it saves to the desktop of all 3 devices.

KDE Connect

Linus Shill tips had some wangblows software for this but i frogt what it was called.

shhhh, that what the shill wants, then we'll get one way too informed user telling us about how based "it" is

what does that have to do with apple? syncthing can do that

File sharing isn't hard outside of pajeetOS, which I don't use.

not him, but you have to limit the amount of work you do out of business hours. Your employer isn't paying you a dime for those hours, I get mad that I have to tell my teams these words daily.

As a grunt, the more you work, the less you like it and the shittier code you make. There are exceptions, but it shouldn't be the norm

By using some Network manager script hooks that will automatically mount/unmount NFS shares and then rsync content to/from them.
Since it's a small environment all authentication is performed locally so you obviously need to make sure your user has the same uid across all systems. I guess I could use LDAP but that's overkill for one real user.

I just embrace google bootnet (gmail/docs/drive/bookmarks sync) and use standard notes for sensitive things.

For work I use only RDP.

do you know how anything works or do you just parrot what other people post on reddit?

Checked

NAS + sync tools + network shares.

I have a home server (aka 5$ pentium 4 desktop pc bought off craigslist) and I sshfs through it with all my machines.

Is that a PC-98????

I never understood the purpose of that thing.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Briefcase_(Microsoft_Windows)
Apparently it allowed for synchronization, since Windows 95?
Correct me if I am wrong.

Yes. It was essentially a dropbox on a floppy.
The concept was already limited in its day because it assumed one stationary PC to act as the master storage (the briefcase recorded absolute paths of files on that computer for synchronization) and a laptop to work on the briefcase's contents while on the go. You also could put a briefcase on a network share, but it still would only sync on PCs where local paths matched.

yes, though it was barely more advanced than simply copy/pasting a folder to and from a floppy disk and getting the usual prompts
don't bother using it now, not only has it been removed from current windows, there are many more sophisticated solutions available these days
back when someone might have at most a desktop and a laptop, with nothing but floppies to share small data between them, briefcase made keeping some things in sync between the two a bit easier
but now you can just share your whole documents folder with something like syncthing and call it a day
briefcase was designed in a time when there was no such thing as a home LAN (more or less)

>essentially a dropbox on a floppy.
not quite that advanced, it was more of an automated copy, more akin to rsync
it didn't track individual filesystem changes, it only compared the files at the moment you wanted to sync the briefcases, so it couldn't handle things like renaming a file (treated them as two separate files)

my man

i used to do that, 15 years ago
then i got a network hub, later a wifi ap, then broadband
now i don't use usb drives at all anymore, the biggest i have is still 512MB

what the fuck