C drive is hella gay

I cannot partition my uncalloated space onto my C drive. i have searched YouTube,Reddit etc but I cannot find any solutions. Please help

Attached: c.jpg (1563x266, 59K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/3PyJ4SG3
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

There's this thing in windows called system32 which is preventing a bunch of 64bit stuff such as extending your C drive and because the incompetent fucks at microsoft don't want you to have full power over your computer they keep it in every fucking release.
Just remove the "system32" folder located in "C:\Windows\" and you should be able to extend your partition.

works on my machine

Attached: 1546038658328.webm (935x302, 545K)

isnt it possible to move "SSD (E)" and "Windows RE Tools" to the right so unallocated partition is next to C?

>1TB HDD
>120GB partition labeled "SSD"
consider suicide

Attached: 1539469948052.jpg (823x744, 109K)

It's for getting good boy points on hardware threads.

You can't have more than 4 primary partitions under MBR. You need an extended partiton to put more logical partitions inside.

Oh just realised you don't want a new partition you want to resize the existing one, I dunno if winfag OS even lets you move/resize partitions, boot a linux cd and run gparted.

It does, did that 3 days ago, deleted an entire OS partition and resized my main Windows one to fill my HDD.

/thread

So what happens if you move SSD and Windows RE tools to the right then try to resize C:/ as suggested?

It should work.
I don't really know about moving, though. My old OS partition was already to the right of my main Windows partition.

>moving partitions
>ever
I don't know why but that shit is always atrociously slow.
Copy the files to an external drive and just delete and remake the partitions.

Attached: 1541101111012.jpg (482x482, 28K)

Why is it slow? Can't they just move the reference to the partitions?

moving partition means copying the entire thing, including free space.

Because you are literally moving blocks piece by piece. There is no way to do that quickly.

The empty space would have to be between C and E for this to work. You should either delete E and then extend C, make a partition from the empty space and delete E after you've moved the data to the new partition or extend E over the empty space and then shrink it from the other side. Considering how the empty space is bigger

Attached: 85f832435e3e66fb97dc7dcefaae11e7.jpg (407x513, 70K)

-

You can only extend a partition if the unallocated space is right after the partition you want to extend. The simplest solution that I can think of for that situation is to delete E, extend C and recreate E.

This wouldn't have been a problem if Windows used something like LVM.

>Considering how the empty space is bigger
the prior two are your best bet. Use a second drive to make it easier on yourself.

Of course its slow, it has to move all the data from one place on the drive to a completely different place on the drive and move back and forth between those locations constantly. Copying to a different drive is always faster since you're not seeking back and forth on the same drive to read, write, read, write, read, write...

It doesn't work like that.

Lol I had forgotten how horrible windows disk management is.
I resize my partitions fairly regularly, and with lvm a partition does not need to be constrained to contiguous disk space, or even a single disk.

the filesystem inside usuallt references files by positive offset from header.
sure that means you could move left easily, but still its more prone to break than just copying the entire thing instead

>i have searched YouTube,Reddit
Ah yes, clearly the best places to search for how to do this. You deserve the frustration you're going through right now. I hope you never figure it out.

> Doesn't work like that
Idk what the deal with ntfs/winshit is but on Linux using btrfs, zfs, and or lvm, you can move and resize a partition instantly as long as it is not touching the actual data. Of course, if you move the start of a partition it costs read/writes and the same if your partition has data at the end.

Attached: 1541321639686.png (1563x731, 251K)

If a partition has to be contiguous then to get the free space to grow a partition you would have to move the actual data out of the way like here:

[ P1 ][ P2 ][ FREE ]
[ P1 ][ FREE ][ P2 ]
[ P1 ][ P2 ]

If you can instantly just resize by changing references then you would have to have a table that marks multiple contiguous allocations as part of the same partition or have some kind of linked-list type thing:

[ P1 ][ P2 ][ FREE ]
[ P1 ][ P2 ][ P1 ]

Like this? Can you do this? I don't like this, how is it implemented? So now we can have partition fragmentation as well as filesystem fragmentation?

It fucked up my diagrams -_-
Here:

[ P1 ][ P2 ][ FREE ]
[ P1 ][ FREE ][ P2 ]
[ P1 ][ P2 ]

[ P1 ][ P2 ][ FREE ]
[ P1 ][ P2 ][ P1 ]

It fucked it up again, nice.

Yes you can do that, it's called a logical volume, and it's particularly useful if you are running a raid array. Im sure it can be done on windows too but I have no idea how since any windows computers I manage have only one or two disks and basically one huge windows partition, and if we ever need to change them we usually just buy a whole new computer.

>freetards are consistently the most clueless technology illiterates
Why is this

Attached: 1550920243854.png (509x478, 23K)

>copy partitions to another drive
>nuke the first drive
>copy partitions back

You need to move SSD to the right. There are tools like gparted on a live Linux USB that can do this, but Windows itself can't. One option is to delete SSD and remake it at the end where it belongs. Another is to use a tool that can move, which will be slow. Or you can stop being a dumbass, delete it, and just expand C to fill the disk.

You also have a Windows REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Tools partition that's blocking off 16 GB at the end.

I thought of this, but it's not what was asked for. A mounted partition is not the same as a combined partition

Was going to say this. You'll have to juggle things between folders as the partitions fill up.

install gentoo

Sounds like a great idea, but doesn't work as intended. You won't be able to make that partition bootable.

You can"t be serious
>look at OP pic
wtf

Here's the output for fdisk and lvm pvs vgs lvs on one of my computers
pastebin.com/3PyJ4SG3

~4tard % sudo pvs ; sudo vgs ; sudo lvs
pvs PV VG Fmt Attr PSize PFree
/dev/sda libvirt lvm2 a-- 232.88g 8.37g
/dev/sdb1 aurius lvm2 a--

Attached: 1556308890897.jpg (1000x800, 39K)

There are tricks to add a preformatted partition into lvm without needing to reformat but that's black magic territory. OP would still be fucked since you have to format the disks once they are managed.

Just fuck around in diskpart, it’s not that hard.

I really don't like this abstract virtualization stuff. With this you could have pieces of files fragmented across more than 1 physical partition/disk, that seems horrible.