Why all the hate for Gnome?

Why all the hate for Gnome?

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-10-17 04-53-51.png (1366x768, 720K)

Other urls found in this thread:

balena.io/etcher/
linuxmint.com/download.php
kubuntu.org/getkubuntu/
ubuntubudgie.org/downloads
system76.com/pop
twitter.com/AnonBabble

They don't focus on being lightweight or customizable and the developers are often full of themselves. But even if that wouldn't be the case, Jow Forums hates everything that is popular.

>or customizable
Let alone this, they keep removing stuff

Also why the fuck do I need a tablet interface on my pc?

I'm the Director of Engineering at a major software company. When hiring, I always ask the candidates which Linux DE they prefer. If they say Gnome then I immediately know they're a brainlet who can't code, can't handle anything other than a tablet, and would probably fuck the company up with diversity initiatives.

Thank you Gnome for making my hiring decisions easier.

Attached: 1556471064763.jpg (1024x457, 68K)

Because it's reinventing the wheel so that it isn't even round anymore. Gnome is useless. Its buggy, it's laggy, and it sucks shit to use. KDE is miles ahead of it. KDE offers a desktop experience that's on par with Windows 10 or MacOS in terms of search functionality, workspace and window management, and general aesthetic. Gnome is half baked shit that looks like a 4 year old made it.

Attached: dcTrW6T.jpg (510x384, 27K)

sloooooow

>KDEgenerates come out of the woodwork
Go back to your lizard smut.

15 year old bugs that still aren't solved, still missing features anyone with half a brain expects from a DE in $currentYear, eats resources even more than it sucks dick, isn't customisation at all, devs are shit and arrogant on top, constantly breaks and removes features, and so on and so forth.

t. typical tiling wm users wet dream
people with jobs who needs to get shit done uses whatever gets job done, Gnome just werks for most people

>Its buggy, it's laggy, and it sucks shit to use.
People on here say that about every DE.
>KDE is miles ahead of it.
KDE and GNOME are on polar opposite ends of the design spectrum. KDE tries to create an environment that the user can shape however he wants, GNOME tries to provide an environment that doesn't need any tweaking.

>KDE doesn't reinvent the wheel
except that you need half of KDE just for a simple KrApp like Ark or Dolphin

They remove features faster than Jow Forums can complain about anything.

The problem with Gnome is that it is designed to try to impress Windows and Mac front-end developers rather than to be functional to the user. It's bloated, slow, buggy, and doesn't even try to be modular; typical of shit that is developed from the top down by self-interested developers.

KDE and Xfce are far better in every respect.

KDE was litterally the worst DE i've ever used. So many bugs and glitches and shit. GNOME is polished, but i prefer BUDGIE which is a better version of GNOME if you ask me.
>On par with botnet 10 and MacOS
HAHAHAHAHHA yeah no

People that get shit done use Xfce or KDE. i3 users are turbo-autists that get work done. Gnome users are babby's that like clicking around fisher-price tablet with a JavaScript UI.

its devs hate the users and customization. its been kinda bloaty and shit (all garbage C and javascript) for forever. Redhat/lennart decrees. KDE got really good for a while so you could escape it.

KDE 4.8 was stupidly good. It had a very rich ecosystem of widgets and themes and shit. KDE5 was retardedly fast because they QT5'd with full hardware acceleration only they completely broke their codebase up into parts and lost all the ecosystem and never really got stability back either and also the KDE4 ecosystem is still around in the exact same location as the kde5 one and nobody even bothered to rewrite anything for 5 so the features are barely there. It's lighter though.

>bloated
>cluttered
>resource hog
>dumbass layout
>mactoddler light
>unnecessary dependencies on systemd
>hostile SJW developers
huh

nice copypaste

one thing i hate is the file chooser bug it's so fucking stupid bug sometimes it drives me crazy so i stick with kde

>designed to try to impress Windows and Mac users
That's why I see so many screenshots of KDE looking like Windows and Mac?
>It's bloated, slow, buggy and doesn't even try to be modular
KDE is more bloated than GNOME imho, gnome-shell 3.32 uses around 72 MiB of RAM, the rest are just other procceses and memory caching.
GNOME libraries also are more modular than KDE ones since they don't require drawing the whole DE, unlike KDE.
Laggines and slowness got fixed in 3.32 because unlike KDE and (especially) XFCE, GNOME gets actual bugfixes
>unnecesary dependencies on systemd
GNOME required systemd for logind mostly, but they started implementing elogind as an alternative

>A
>FUCKING
>FOOT

That's KDE4 buddy. They split KDE into different framework bits at 5 (2014)

>KDE is more bloated than gnome
you can't honestly believe this

Because MATE exists.

>A
>GROSS
>RAT
>A
>DAMN
>FURRY
See faggot, you're not the only one that can do this
>they split kde into different framework bits
and that's fucking better?

Attached: DE_Memory_Benchmark_512MB_2018_07_28.png (1280x720, 448K)

because it's a piece of shit and the developers are absolute scum

well it's a lot better if you're just using parts of it, yeah.

>Current year + 4
>filepicker bug is still only fixed in KDE, and even there it's spotty in firefox

Attached: 1462114317354.jpg (710x508, 360K)

that's in theory, but simple stuff like Ark for example still drags 10-15 framework parts.

They can still get cleaned up when not in use, which is a big improvement. Kwin alone was sometimes like 300-400MB when I was using it. Being able to just have that on or off would be a big change.

splitting into framework is still a bad idea because instead of dragging just the necessary libs it drags groups of libs.

>KDE is more bloated than GNOME imho
>i have no idea what im talking about

Attached: 1549572682586.png (596x496, 214K)

That's just a KDE design decision at that point. Everything's gotta be fuckin integrated into everything else.

I've only briefly tried kubuntu in a VM, but I recall wanting to remove kwallet or some nonsense like that and it greeted me with "oh you'll also have to remove a, b, c, x, y and z :)"

>I like to shill KDE everywhere I can
>I have no idea what to do when people have different opinions and ideas than me

>KDE offers a desktop experience that's on par with Windows 10 or MacOS
Talking about damning through faint praise.

Yeah well thats probably a metapackage issue more than a dependency issue. Kwallet can integrate into anything that might handle passwords (even Ark) and some people really dig that shit. Kubuntu has never been KDE or ubuntu though, just garbage.

You can feel the "professional" vibes from everything. Reek of group policy on everything. Half of KDE's shit exists just to integrate with its calendar to mimic outlook, thats why they can't default to libreoffice or a real browser.

at least it works

I don't hate it, I just find how they remove functionalities dumb. Like fuck, at this point nautilus is no better than the gallery app on my phone.
Also it is very extension-dependent and those extensions break every update so you better hope that dev fixes it fast (if it gets fixed at all).
Oh and that horrendous file picker god damn

>Whoops sorry, we didn't think you liked to use that classic start menu or your desktop icons, or whatever else we decide to kill next, but don't be afraid I'm sure some community extensions will replace them...

I honestly never use desktop icons and I find the new overlay better than the classic menu.

That's not the point, you fool...

because it's shit. use xfce

Because it's a toy DE. You can't even use your desktop without an extension.

My computer isn't from 2002, why would I want it to look like it is?

>you fool
stop being rude mr. user ;(

Newfag here
What does Jow Forums suggests for someone who doesn't want to tinker with arch and still needs a decent flavour

>You can feel the "professional" vibes from everything
The last thing I think when I use Windows is "wow this is professional." Windows 10's UI is a rushed half-ass job.

I don't care for the way it, or its devs operate. That's really all I can say about it.

>tried kde multiple times
>shit just randomly dies after the basic operations
>tried xfce as well
>feels like an ugly version of cinnamon
>tried i3
>nice, but impossible to use if you're actually doing something other than shitposing in desktop threads
I admit that gnome is not the best DE, but it's stable, relatively fast and intuitive. This is what, in most of the cases, people need to get their job done

Attached: >a fucking foot.png (198x42, 20K)

No, you don't understand, rectangles colored with paint bucket fill are professional these days.

>GNOME gets actual bugfixes

>Add an "icon view with thumbnails" mode (like Nautilus)
>Opened 15 years ago

How are you supposed to call gnu+linux customizable when the "standard" DE tells you that you can't have certain icons, can't change the panel, can't use a system-tray, etc.

It doesn't sound like they removed a lot until you consider what we had in the past. With Gnome2 you could go bananas with desktop effects> There was really nothing you couldn't change in 20 minutes tops.

Better use Budgie.

(OP)
Download this tool: balena.io/etcher/

Download one of these distros, depending on which DE you want:
>Xfce or Cinnamon
Linux Mint: linuxmint.com/download.php
>KDE
Kubuntu: kubuntu.org/getkubuntu/
>Budgie
Ubuntu Budgie: ubuntubudgie.org/downloads
>GNOME
PopOS: system76.com/pop

Make sure you download the latest, non-LTS version if you have an AMD or Intel GPU because LTS won't have the latest drivers.

gnu+linux isn't about customizability you massive faggot
Stop spreading this meme
GNU's purpose is to be a free as in freedom OS and linux is a toy hobby kernel that had an immense amount of luck to take off

I'm not even talking about the look. I'm talking about things like how the new control panel stuff is a thin layer over the old control panel programs that have been here since 1995. And how shitty the new control panel shit is anyway.

For example, some options won't be displayed because your screen isn't tall enough. And scroll bars are invisible until you go looking for them. So if your screen is exactly the wrong size, you won't even see the fact you could scroll down and see the option you're looking for.

Arch Linux with Gnome

Give me a rundown on budgie.

As an end user, it's a complete nightmare experience. I've used Linux since 1994 and I think the whole desktop experience on Linux is a complete disgrace. Ubuntu would be half decent if Canonical wasn't so incompetent. Hopefully Red Hat can turn Fedora or related into something more generic for desktop users instead of focused at power users and developers with cash infusion from IBM.

what is remmina and what is shotwell.

They don't even let you customize the fonts in your UI with the default control panel program. You have to install a third party "tweak tool", and even then you can't set the font on your GNOME panel without having to create a custom theme and manually edit CSS. Sounds like a huge waste of time to me.

It's gnome but better.

Would you go as far as to say it's gnome but good?

gnome without gnome shell and with custom panel

GNOME developers constantly remove features because they aren't "perfect" meanwhile they claim nobody volunteered to fix some bug. Anyone who's ever submitted patches (like myself) can tell you that's bullshit -- my fixes sat ignored for over a year while I tried contacting the maintainer multiple times via email and IRC.

Thanks fren

Attached: unnamed.png (384x384, 76K)

Yes.

>PopOS: system76.com/pop
AKA "Gets converted to Ubuntu 19.04 defaults and branding on upgrade" OS

The GNOME experience

I love gnome desu

Fedora doesn't have this problem

Fedora offers a better GNOME experience and OpenSUSE is better for KDE.

Fuck off, you know I meant desktop.
Calling Linux a "hobby OS" isn't a bad thing, RH shill. The only thing as sterile as your taste is your balls.

>users
Front-end developers, not users. I feel like Gnome devs are trying to compare dick sizes with bigger developers rather than make a DE that is good for the end user. The actual look of the DE doesn't matter as much as the features and philosophy behind the design.

>KDE is more bloated than Gnome
The only instance I can think of where this is true is if you did a Debian net install with Gnome and compared it with a full Slackware KDE install or something.

If you like Gnome and it works for you though just use it, fucc what anyone else thinks.

>non-debian distros
Irrelevant

wow your reading comprehension sure is dog shit

>calling RHEL irrelevant
You are delusional.

Wrong image

Attached: file.png (1893x895, 401K)

At least two of those were obviously "shit we need to fill the grid"

We're talking about desktop/home distros here. Saying rhel is relevant for that is saying windows server 2016 is relevant on desktop.

>Environment
>Keep an eye on the weather
>The fucking cube
>Forget about drivers
forget about them indeed

Sort of this. The developers have proven to be incompetent in prioritizing. IE: too focused on new shit instead of fixing broken stuff. And too focused on gender inclusiveness and defining themselves than actual work on the project itself.

As for gnome itself, the workflow is fine, the UI is ok. It should be more usable than it is. Writing extensions is an absolute cluster fuck of trying to do shit with JavaScript you shouldn't have to, like C calls and defining classes.

And it undoubtedly has the worst memory management of any DE. And it doesn't appear to be on their list of priorities to fix.

Never touched win10 so can't speak for it.

Fedora restricts media codecs and encryption because of US patent/export laws.

>let me just shift goal posts
If you don't want to talk in absolutes then don't make absolute claims.

Fedora is close to perfection. They need to 1) not have broken fonts by default (color fringing is unbearable for example), and 2) while it's pretty easy to install proprietary software, they need to make it easier. GNOME Software Center can one-click enable _some_ rpmfusion repos (for Nvidia and steam only), but not the main rpmfusion repos? Why not, that's stupid. Nouveau is crap and forcing me to use it by default is annoying. 3) Give us something more suitable for hobby server usage -- this is in progress with Fedora Core OS coming out "soon." RHEL and CentOS don't work for hobbyist developers or power user servers because the software stack is so ancient, and a 6 month release cycle with a mutable host is just asking for trouble for servers. 4) Red Hat needs to dump more money into GNOME and stop letting the developers fuck around. The latest GNOME in Fedora 30 stripped yet more features, and added more ridiculous changes like moving an application's "main menu" to the RIGHT SIDE of the titlebar as a fucking hamburger menu. We went from a traditional menu bar on applications, to none, moving it into an all-in-one in the GNOME panel, to now a hamburger menu on the right side of a window's titlebar. This is just _one_ feature showcasing the absurdity of GNOME. Red Hat, I hope you're reading this.

Is Cinnamon or Unity an acceptable answer or in the trash it goes? Please answer Mr Goldman

>kde plasma
>a good DE with a shit compositor
>gnome
>a shit DE with a good compositor
Fuck me!

I didn't make an absolute claim, idiot. Try to follow the context.

>debian-based
shouldn't exist

truth. *-based shouldn't exist

There's two major camps in loonix. The "lets copy windows" crowd aka KDE or "lets copy apple" crowd aka Gnome.

the only time I notice my DE is when I'm not working

They forbid legally encumbered software in general in their repositories. That's why you use RPM Fusion.

Ugly, broken, unintuitive, like a shittier windows 8

is that pasta? it can't be sincere.

kwin is badass as a WM, i dunno how it's coming on being a compositor.

>two major camps
You must be new to everything

No I just wrote it. Why do you think I'm not sincere?