Mozilla to drop IRC

>Mozilla about IRC:
>[...]getting connected to this now-obscure forum is an unnecessary technical barrier for anyone finding their way to Mozilla via the web. Available interfaces really haven’t kept up with modern expectations [...]
exple.tive.org/blarg/2019/04/26/synchronous-text/

I really don't want to have anything to do with this new Internet.

Attached: Firefox.png (1024x391, 260K)

Other urls found in this thread:

kmeleonbrowser.org/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why isn't there any decent js IRC client

What's the point of using the lightweight IRC protocol over a slow and bloated JavaScript/HTML/CSS client?

Another genius move to add to the list of retarded shit done by Mozilla that shills will blame on Google anyways.

another day when Mozilla tries to piss of their small, shrinking audience
Ungoogled Chromium > FurryFox

>unauthenticated
there's pretty standard ways of doing IRC authentication, and you can configure a server to require TLS so you aren't just sending your login info in plaintext
like, it actually just works, and client support is pretty good

>We are evaluating products, not protocols.
"all the intelligent people left us, so now we're outsourcing for answers"
can't wait for Firefox to become yet another Chrome fork at this rate

>can't wait for Firefox to become yet another Chrome fork at this rate
Honestly I've been waiting for this as well. I wouldn't be surprised at all.

>Mozilla sending away even more of their target audience
Not even surprised at this point.

>Q: Why are we moving away from IRC? IRC is fine!
>A: IRC is not fine.
God I fucking hate mozilla so much. It's a travesty that firefox is still the best browser as of now.

kmeleonbrowser.org/ for my windows n-words.

>harassment
how many mozilla articles and blogs of late don’t mention this word? Remember if someone disagrees with you it’s “harassment” and “literal rape”. $10 they choose discord or some other proprietary shitware

Who the fuck used Firefox for IRC? You have a million dedicated clients.

Are you bots? You're making a fuss out of nothing. In fact this is a good thing because it means Firefox is now less bloated. A browser shouldn't be a fucking replacement for everything. It should just render a page and if necessary call your installed software to do shit. There's a fucking torrent client in Brave. Disgusting.

I wonder what one of the core programs of the Mozilla suite was.....
Maybe a FUCKING IRC CLIENT. How could they forget about ChatZilla so fast?
>>We are evaluating products,
Might as well encourage people to use Chrome too.

You misunderstand. Mozilla isn't changing anything about firefox, they're just shutting down their irc network that was used by developers and for support.

agreed. also bonus points for vitriol.

irccloud - not free, but at least as good as dicksword

This isn't about Firefox having/not having support for IRC. It never had support for it in the first place. This is about Mozilla's development communications channels.

This statement worries me
>We are evaluating products, not protocols.
I'll place my bet now. Mozilla will soon be using proprietary Discord for communications. Screenshot this.

Kek, Mozilla dropping support for a deprecated protocol? Color me surprised. IRC is shit and should have been killed off years ago. No Unicode support, hack after hack to add even the most basic functions like nick and channel moderation, and netsplits out the ass. There's a good reason lots of people have moved on to Discord.

Oh, my bad. That does sound dumb. If they have users there they shouldn't have removed IRC. Knowing how retarded Mozilla can get the next thing they'll do is remove any contact information and force people to use a facebook/twitter group. Or discord, yes.

Indeed, we should centralize the web more.
I propose replacing the outdated HTTPS with CloudFlare™, and HTML with Adobe Flash™.

>>harassment
>Why can't Firefox have API interface X which does Y which I need if I want to make an extension I'd like to make work in Firefox?
>We don't want that.
>But why? Is there any reason that's not allowed?
>I already said we don't want that, STOP HARASSING ME
There were rare cases of actual harassment a decade ago and it was a minor problem. These days it just means "You asked me to explain or justify my answer or viewpoint".

I love how the mindset is always
>irc sucks
>so we need to move to centralized Discord
meanwhile there's a perfectly good Free Software solution right there. Pic related.

Attached: 1920px-Matrix_logo.svg.png (1920x826, 55K)

>Or, if you like, you can find me on IRC.
kek'd.

+1

It wouldn't be an issue if they didn't decide to move to discord. Why didn't they choose matrix? For fuck sake I rather use skype than discord.

To be fair, I don't think they've actually confirmed yet that that's what they're going to be using.
...but I wouldn't be surprised.

>want to switch from trannycord to irc
>can’t convince my friends to switch

Attached: 7D6AF2A7-4E62-4C22-85AC-16B8495DD09D.png (150x228, 17K)

They didn't confirm it, but it's clearly their main intention. They would've confirmed it instantly if it wasn't because everyone is mad about it.
The rust community already unofficially moved their official channel to discord.

I could even understand if they'd move to a more accessible client. But potentially changing from a decentralized, open protocol to some centralized, proprietary garbage like Discord under the guise of anti-harassment and accessibility is what concerns me.

If they're switching to Discord I'm happy. IRC kept the zoomers away but now that they're using Discord that means that their developer chat will be filled with inane ramblings.

I can't say I am surprised: Mozilla also killed Thunderbird, they seem to be against decentralized protocols.

riot.me, it's basically just discord but not botnet

You mean riot.im? Isn't that just matrix?

shit yeah that lol
Most people don't give a shit about e2e or privacy or anything under the hood so you should just find a client which looks and feels the most like discord, which happens to be riot.

we call it sjwfox for a reason buddy