New Consumer Technologies

Remember when the only thing plasma arcs were known for were downed power lines? Now we have rechargeable plasma arc lighters as a consumer tech for ~$5.

Post some new technologies that are making their way into consumer tech.

Attached: arc lighter.jpg (800x800, 70K)

my dick making its way into your ass

>implying there haven't been electrically-ignited lighters for fucking decades

break it open, take the igniter out, place the wire next to your gas source and click the fucking button. Bam. Fire.

Its not a electrically heated lighter, its a high voltage transformer which creates these plasma arc when these currents get in contact with air.

>plasma arc

What is welding you fag, the process that built the modern world.

>fire with gas and no electricity
whao!

Attached: 947577cd-7524-4d43-8606-e31f36b2170d_1.0e8e8fb60dec22ef753012442474a1c7.jpg (2000x2000, 206K)

I've had one for 15 years.
Not as fancy looking as that one, but then I think it was cheaper.

Most gas furnaces have them build in, running on mains, but my furnace is very basic.

Arc lighters are a fucking meme, I fail to see any use for them

Easiest and cheapest way to ignite a gas stove.

Just buy a fucking BBQ lighter

Why?

That is the retarded way of lighting a gas stove.
I always cringe when I see someone do that.

?

For any camping trip, its a must have. Even in rain/wind, these arc plasma lighters work with 100% certainty.

Fair point

What's the battery life on those anyway?

About 7 years when used daily, give or take a few years.

Depends on the battery (how cheap you go). These $5 ones have 500+ uses before they need recharge. The $10 ones I see have 1000+ uses before charge is required. If you're feeling up for it, you can change the battery from inside and put a new cap on it for higher capacity.

>Easiest and cheapest way to ignite a gas stove.

I ignite my stove with the sparks from a Cricket lighter.
It doesn't even meed any gas in the lighter, the sparks alone can ignite the stove and the oven and the flint lasts for ages, you will lose your lighter way before any of them runs out of flint.

Imagine having to sharge your fucking lighter.
God the wireless future is terrifying
>charge phones
>charge tablets
>charge laptops
>charge keyboard and mouse
>charge headphones
>charge earplugs
>and charge your fucking lighter as well
Fuck this gay shit

>1 arc welder please
>>Certainly, that will be $5 Mr John Consumer

>charge
Takes a couple of AA batteries which last years and years.
And much easier than fucking about with an expired lighter.

Energy has changed from chemical liquid/gas to direct electricity. Luddites will continue to fear technology.

Amen.

I might still buy one. At least it's a lighter that doesn't connect to the internet. In a decade your lighter will connect to your phone and ask for two-step verification to light your stove.

The future sucks.

Well, since I liked to fumble around with high voltage and stuff, I am quite certain you need at least ~1-3W to light something. Your AAA-batteries won't survive that long.
Especially for lighting candles you'd need to have patience and preferable 5W+ of arcs. The parafin takes some time to melt. Also it will make the isolation about the contacts dirty and in the end the isolation will be eaten away by the energy of the sparks. Because there are many very reactive substances in an arc plasma, the isolator will slowly start to conduct a current and it will stop working.

Bump for OTHER new consumer technologies that have not been getting attention but could be useful.

I don't light candles with it, I'm not a retard.

We were talking about the gas stove, which takes a fraction of a second to light.
It also doesn't act continuously, it just goes "tick tick tick" and it really only needs one tick.

You could do that with just with the spark from the piezo of an empty $1 walmart grill lighter and that doesn't even need batteries.

Here in Holland they have piezo-spark lighters that do just this and work very well. (as long as they're dry).
Same functionality at half the price and without ever having to charge it. On sale in every supermarket. The only thing is that they don't light candles, but you don't do that anyway.