Why did everyone hate this so much?

Why did everyone hate this so much?

Attached: 1551361390079.png (1200x800, 572K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=e2qY8JtjJag
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Because nobody at that time had a powerful enough pc to handle the future.

Too much too soon combined with the usual buggy-ness and driver woes that come with a new major Windows realase. It was easier to just stick with XP, even on new machines. Then Windows 7 came along and the world was ready for Vista in its second edition.

It just wasn't ready yet.

It was hacked together from Windows Server after Longhorn went nowhere.
It was released without widespread betatesting.
Too many changes - 64 bit based, MS banned 16bit drivers suplied by crappy vendors etc.
In the first days it broke machines, supposedly destroyed hardware etc etc.
XP was still popular at the time, people refused to upgrade for years.
After the fiasco, Microsoft started to betatest new OS versions.

Because it was buggy and annoying to use at launch. Windows 7 is what Vista should've been in the same way Windows 10 is what Windows 8 should've been.

Why does everyone hate niggers so much? Why does Jow Forums hate 9gag so much?

It's just memes all over.

>After the fiasco, Microsoft started to betatest new OS versions.

Until 10 when they said "fuck that , let's have normal people do it and fuck the consequences it saves us money"

> It was hacked together from Windows Server
MS didn't release Server 2008 until Vista SP1 or so, when it became somewhat usable. Same with Windows 10, BTW, Server 2016 was released in 2016 along with a new LTSB, although first versions of Win10 were released in 2015.
MS can lie whatever they want about the quality of their OSes, but in reality they know how it is and enterprises always get a better OS than end users.

I would argue that 8.1 was a nice refinement of 8. 10 is a completely different animal and seems to be evolving constantly without settling into a nice grove like Windows has done before, except of course for the LTS releases.

He's saying Vista was born from Server 2003.

this. xp was finally usable at the time and was getting massive heat from osx. vista had a horrible performance even on high end machines at the time and literally had no selling point other than "look, we can do a glassy ui, too!".

my Arch PC won't power on (mobo or PSU I think) and now I'm on dad's laptop with vista, it sucks, is slow and I can't even use firefox past 52 esr

widgets were absolute cancer and slowed down your system for no reason.
Vista was basically what happens when you let your mom use IE and install a fuckton of malware and 80 toolbars, but on every damn part of the OS instead.

Also that's when they started hiding the real options menus behind useless shit

Attached: Bad_ending.jpg (720x576, 144K)

>terrible driver support, almost non-existent for 64bit
>needed 2gb of ram AT LEAST to run smoothly, when majority of computers were XP machines with 512mb tops
>bought single core computers to their knees, didn't do the early dual core processors any favours
>hp, compaq advertising low-spec XP computers as 'vista capable'
>UAC
>red screens of death
>all round terrible until the SP2 release where it got majority of 7's patches and features

Using Vista...(pre-SP1) * Boot computer. Login. Get to desktop. Try to use computer...no response. Every other program on your computer has prioritization over you, and is hogging all of the system resources faster then you can get access to them. So, you wait.. and wait.. and wait... 5 minutes later, you can use your computer. (Breaks UI standards of "if you see the desktop, it should mean user can use desktop, not wait 5 minutes to use desktop") * Install update .. computer reboots ... black screen... black screen .. black screen .. black screen ... traditionally, when folks got a black screen in Windows, it meant something hung, so reboot to fix it. Rebooting during a black screen on an update meant you almost always borked up not only the update install, but the entire OS.. and after spending hours trying to run repair disks and shit.. you have to just reinstall the OS from scratch. * You know all those TSR (terminate-stay-resident) programs that would auto-start and sit in your task bar down below? Yeah, we moved a lot of that shit to the Task Scheduler. Awesome, right? Well, it would be.. but we set most of them up with schedules where they fire off every minute to see if they need to do anything... like check for updates. (things that seemed to be logically done once a day... nah, let's make them run every minute or every second... constantly starting and stopping.. making you wonder why your computer goes through random bog downs). * You know software developers making software? Yeah.. let's allow them to design software that each installs it's own "phone home" TSR for the task bar ... so your task bar gets cluttered up with 50 programs each with a thing running JUST to check for updates. Oh.. but Microsoft offloaded all that shit to Task Scheduler now, right? Awesome! (cont...)

Programmers are going to do the same.. but ALSO have outlandish schedules, too.. b/c that stupid screensaver program you installed NEEDS to check for updates 24/7 every minute.. b/c updates to it are obviously VITAL to your system. (Offloading shit into task scheduler instead of keeping individual items always running was a great idea.. but not when everything is starting and stopping every minute to check on dumb shit) * You know how conveneitn things were to find with our old-school applets in Win 95/98? Yeah, we've added in a layer of web-style bullshit starting with XP.. and now with Vista we're taking it further... but, you know, it's not actually replacing the old way of doing things.. it's just slapping even more paint over the old paint.. and now we're hiding useful old features under half-assed new paint jobs.. so it's a real PITA to find anything now. You're welcome. * (Any error message in Vista) "Sorry, you got Error 340958x94" What the fuck does that mean? "I don't know. Nobody bothered to finish filling in the 'error code to human translation' table, so all I can give you is an error code. Would you like to click the 'learn more' link to get more info?" Well, obviously! (click link .. little icon runs for a minute or so .. then just gives up and nothing happens). WTF!? I thought you were doing something! I thought you were going to go get more info about this fucking error! "I'm sorry, what? I forgot what I was doing. Were you having a problem or something?" YEAH, YOU GAVE ME A FUCKING ERROR CODE! "Well, I'm sure it resolved itself... oh, btw, you're getting Error 340958x94... would you like to click this link to 'learn more'?" FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU * Congratulations.. the updater is now fully integrated into the OS now.. no more going to MS' site to waste hours running scans and then downloading updates and ... oh.. hang on a tic.. the Windows Update Service has encountered error 2349423x4e. (cont...)

"What does that mean?!" I dont' know, b/c nobody bothered filling in the "error code to human translation". Would you like to click this handy little link to ... "NO! I'll just go google the god damn code! Gee.. says here.. this code means the windows updater can't update itself.. and you're pretty much fucked.. b/c now you can't get ANY fucking updates since the updater is fucked. Reinstall the OS and go fuck yourself, end user. Thank you very much." * (start playing video game) "God damn... I've got this dual-core computer, shit-tons of RAM, good gfx card.. why is this so slow?" (open task monitor) Holy fucking shit.. why are all these resources being used for .. what is this shit? Indexing service.. really? Indexing my computer right now takes priority over shit *I* want to do right now? Why isn't that set to lower priority then shit I'm ACTIVELY DOING with my computer?! In fact.. every fucking background task seems to be set with higher priority then me! WTF! "I'm sorry, end user, but Windows is more important than you. Please wait while we finish our shit." Well when the FUCK will you be done doing whatever the FUCK you're doing?! .... "(whisper voice) Never" * (playing video game) "Well, I guess this is ok... just gonna walk into this level here and... HOLY FUCK WHAT HAPPENED TO THE LEVEL!? ALL THE WALLS ARE MISSING! WHERE'S THE GAME ASSETS!?" (cont...)

(step out of game to see what the holy hell is going on) "What the fuck are you doing, computer!?" Oh, I'm running the defrag program in the background. "YOU'RE MOVING FILES THAT ARE IN USE RIGHT NOW, ASSHOLE!" Oh, really? I'm sorry.. well, if you'd like to wait until I'm done defragging.. b/c background defrag let's you keep using the coimputer while it's going.. "I CAN'T PLAY THE GAME WHILE YOU'RE RUNNING BECAUSE YOU KEEP MOVING SHIT AND FUCKING IT UP!" Well, background defrag lets you keep using your computer while it's running... "I CAN'T DO WHAT I WANT WHILE YOU'RE RUNNING! CAN'T YOU GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK FUCKING SKULL!?" Background tasks are here for your benefit, end user.. but they need all your resources and barge into whatever you're doing.. so you need to wait until they're done. "You do realize that making me WAIT for a fucking background task to finish defeats the purpose, right?" Background tasks are here for your benefit end user... * (Ballmer) "Vista doesn't need a service pack! It's perfect the way it is! Just buy it and use it!" * SP1 is finally here to fix all my woes! Just download and install and ... Error 43543098x93 .. wtf does that mean? It means the SP can't install. Well how the fuck do I fix it... ok, let's see .. open console, run a shit-ton of commands.. oh, you need to open ADMIN console.. do this, run that, try this... try running SP again.. oh, but we're going to waste time RE-downloading it all again... so you need to hurry up and wait, end user... LOL! Did you really think any of this bullshit you did would fix anything? LOL! Stupid end user! You need to just reinstall the OS from scratch, and THEN we MIGHT let you install the SP on top of it. Now get to work, slave.. you're our little bitch now. Bend over and take it! (tosses Vista on a bon-fire and walks back to XP)

Based schizoposter

This is the best Vista thread we've had in a while. Usually it's just zoomers saying "its sexy lol"

It is sexy though but under the hood is an absolutely fucking mess.

youtube.com/watch?v=e2qY8JtjJag

I like it, used it for many years. Vista was nice.

People was trying to run this on P4 machines with 256MB of RAM.

Hardware. I saw dozens of machines that simply couldn't handle how fucking bloated Vista was compared to XP.
In particular, there were a bunch of machines that would be pretty serviceable with XP on them that shipped with Vista and then just fucking choked (lol, 8GB Windows folder, lol using like 1GB of your 2GB RAM -- 2GB if you were lucky, lol these new Vista drivers for this hardware suck).

I used Vista on a machine that actually could handle it. Worked well into 7's lifespan, right until it didn't want to boot one day, so I took that as my cue to upgrade to 7.

I'm still kind of mad that Vista is prettier than 7 in a lot of places, let alone 8 and 10.

Two major things:

1) Most people's computers couldn't run it. Live indexing of all your data was very resource intensive at the time, and they did a poor job of optimizing.

2) They changed the version number of the OS. This obviously seems like a good idea because it's actually a new OS, but many commercial programs (retail POS and stuff) check the version number at startup, and if it isn't 5 (XP), they won't start. That's why windows 7 was versioned as 6.2 or whatever.

$399 Wal-Mart shitboxes couldn't run Aero.

>That's why windows 7 was versioned as 6.2 or whatever.
7 was 6.1, 8 was 6.2. 10 actually changed the internal version number to NT 10.

It was a meme, kind of like hating on mac.
Vista is just 7 pre patches.

It's like a hot pocket that's piping hot on the sides but freezing cold in the center. It required more than it should have at the time, as fpbp pointed out. But it also had that undercooked center. Driver support wasn't what it should have been so everything was one great big cluster of fucks. Windows 7 was basically polished and refined Vista, it wasn't such a turd.

I still use it.

Weird, that's exactly how mine died, and it lasted until 2016.

I still have vista laptop intel duo. Web browser last chrome version supported with addons (other browsers run yt poorly). It overheats if I use it at max resolution. I have installed linux but it overheats even at low resolution and idling. So I went back to clean vista. I made performance changes and it can run 720p60 yt without frame drops. 1080p30 on youtube skips some frames not much. 1050p screen. Didnt own the vista laptop during vista's launch or first years. Probably all the hate is related to that period.

It is laggy if you dont change visual performance settings and power plan. The laptop 2008 has better screen (not resolution 1080p vs 1050p but color and quality), build and hdd (not storage size but noise) than MSI 700$ gaming laptop from 2015. MSI cheaped out on parts. Bad buy. Never again buying a laptop without checking quality of all parts.

Because it is proprietary and spies on you.

The initial release was fucking AWFUL.
they fixed a lot with SPs later

Vista was like a benchmark. If your machine could run Vista with Aero it passed the test and received a badge of honour.

I've been on 9gag around 2011. It's gone just dogshit since.

I don't hate Niggers, I think it's just for the sake of being edgy.

>It was hacked together from Windows Server after Longhorn went nowhere.
Longhorn was the project code name for Vista.

>It was released without widespread betatesting.
Aside from dog-fooding, this was in beta / RC for nearly 13 months.

>Too many changes - 64 bit based, MS banned 16bit drivers suplied by crappy vendors etc.
Primarily 32 bit with options for 64 bit install, like XP.

>XP was still popular at the time, people refused to upgrade for years.
The same was said about 95/98/XP

>After the fiasco, Microsoft started to betatest new OS versions.
You what?

user, does your ass ever get jealous at the shit that comes out of your mouth?

It lags.

>released to early do to dev reset
>didn't have everything it was supposed to have
>dumb shit enabled by default
>early drivers were prone to crashes

Windows 7 is just a rebranding of Vista.

>2006
oh man the nostalgia

>vista had a horrible performance even on high end machines at the time
Uh no, I had a pretty mid-tier PC back in 2006 and Vista ran fine for me, the memes come from OEMs making sub-$200 machines that could barely run XP properly, slapping Vista Home Basic on it and then flooding the market with them. Then normies ate up those cheap computers, realised they were awful, but then blamed Vista for it because it was, hence "It runs Windows Vista!" lines in almost every "nerdy" show on TV

>but then blamed Vista for it because it was
*because it was new

Many things, but desu it didn't deserve the hate it got. The were many problems but the biggest were:
1: Microsoft releasing it too early, it just wasn't mature enough.
2: It required new drivers, and hardware vendors were too slow to keep up and release new drivers, and many that were released didn't work for shit. The average normie had no idea about this and hardly anyone knew how to find and update drivers. Fun fact: two-thirds of all bluescreens in the early days of vista were due to buggy GPU drivers.
3: Pre-built pc's fucking consumers. Microsoft had with Vista been more strict with reaching Vista certification for pre-built pc's, which didn't sit well with the big hardware vendors so they strong-armed Microsoft into giving exceptions for certifications, so they could sell hardware that WASN'T Vista compatible and were just too slow. Again making everyone blame Vista.

Vista was a good OS after the first service pack, and everyone got their shit together driver wise. It's no fucking coincidence that Windows 7 "just werked1!" because all the problems with Vista was ironed out beforehand (also considering Win7 is more or less Vista SP3).

To be fair, you have to have an extremely high IQ to understand Windows Vista.

It's funny how quickly everyone forgot how absolute shit Windows XP was pre-SP1.

>Google Desktop
oh yeah that was a thing

exactly

In 2008 I bought a Vista laptop with a Core 2 Duo, 3 gigs of RAM and a decent hard drive. In terms of performancd it had kick to it, but it was so damn slow at starting up and shutting down, installing updates, moving files and even emptying the recycle bin. It felt like time slowed down.

Contrasted with my older Celeron with 512 megs running XP from 2003. The older machine was quite clearly lacking in power, but it was very noticeably better at performing those basic tasks. It also didn't boot to a black screen or randomly reset the screen, because the graphics drivers actually fucking worked.

because drivers from XP needed to be rebuilt by software devs and so old people couldn't print their christmas cards and didn't understand that vista was a revolutionary OS when it came to architecture

Those days were easily forgotten because of the dependable workhorse it became after SP2.

Windows 7 was essentially a rebranding of Vista's code, effectively drawing a line between the old and new. Thus 7's reputation is as a mature and reliable OS, while Vista is remembered for the growing pains.

That thing literally nuked itself after installing my WLAN driver, making it impossible to actually download any updates that may had helped fixing it.

>Longhorn
Man, what could've been if they didn't have the development reset.

Attached: longhorn4015.png (800x600, 304K)