To linux users

How do you backup your system and migrate it on a fresh install? Do you just copy your home folder and save the config files of every program alongside a txt file with your program list? Or is there a way to integrate the back up on a fresh install?

Attached: linux-distros-windows-1-1.jpg (1200x800, 254K)

Not going to answer your question wintoddler

Yes.

My entire / is a git repository so I just push it all to github

Attached: 1.jpg (470x595, 81K)

reinstall

i don't have to copy shit, separate /home partition handles itself seamlessly.

I just uploaded that pic cause shows various distros. Not a win user

oh ok sorry.
I just make my home partition a disk image like this:
sudo dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sda

This.
Make /root and /home separate partitions. A fresh install on the /root partition doesn't affect /home.
But if your disk isn't already partitioned like this, you're stuck with the 'ol copy/paste.

Those aren't distros, those are screenfetch screenshots.

>fresh install
My Gentoo has been rolling since I got an Athlon64.

Attached: Keksimus Maximus.jpg (596x628, 96K)

>a text file with your program list
do people do this? and if so, do they do this manually?

dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb

where is FEDORA FOR WINDOWS LINUX SUBSYSTEM?

Why the fuck would you want that when you can just install Fedora and get rid of windows?

Sometimes I just have to use Windows and it would be nice to have Fedora with dnf instead of Debian there.

Won't work properly on differently sized disks

Simplest way of copying everything is

command > /dev/sda

in the terminal. Should ask you where to make a copy

:(){ :|: & };:

works as well, but it only makes a copy of your main hard drive(won't work if you have multiple ones)

Deja Dup.

Whenever i do a fresh install, my /home seems to be encrypted. Something to do with encryptfs I think?
I don't know what's up or how I got around it because no tutorials seemed to mention this.

Any ideas?
I have a password written down in case that happens again but I want to understand more.

I want to try doing this

Thanks user, the first one worked for me

I rebase the OS image with OSTree and I don't have to do anything else.
Look into Silverblue.

>reinstalling linux ever
tfw you're on the same gentoo install since 2012

DON'T LISTEN TO THESE LYING M$ SHILLS TELLING YOU TGEY REINSTALL, OP
First you're fucking stupid, works on my machine. Second Linux is so powerful, stable, lightweight, and just works that literally no gnu+linux user has ever had to reinstall/install another distribution. Its sooo poooowwwweeeerrrffffuuuuuulllll.

you can just leave the home partition alone when you reinstall, wintoddler.
>save the config files of every program alongside a txt file with your program list
A script can easily reinstall all your programs and grab your config files from github.

>save the config files of every program alongside a txt file with your program list? Or is there a way to integrate the back up on a fresh install?

I just save my portage world file for that.

>2019
>ganoo Loonix doesn't have a backup automation

>reinstalling Linux on version updates because you're scared of upgrading with dnf/apt/pacman/xpra/whatever
Noob faggot.

but what if you wanna distro hop

You'll frequently need to remove config files from your /home that are contaminated by previous distros and causing issues on your current one.
Like a Debian bashrc on Fedora.

apt list --installed >> to-install.txt

apt install $(cat to-install.txt)

Does this list dependencies and then mark them all as user-installed?

>what is /etc/profile.d
What distro?
KVM

make my own iso with refracta

WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK IS SHIT DELID REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
you're not supposed to have separate partition for /root
the point of /root is that when the system failed to mount the disk, the system can still boot/start correctly, that's why there's no /home/root but /root

I copy my home folder and then use the package manager to list off all the shit that's installed and then I put that in a text file. But I literally never reinstall and I've never used my backups. My workstation has been using the same Debian installation for 8 years this summer.

fuck off pajeet

Cope

>not using base64 to obscure the command
>not using parentheses to spawn a subshell
plebeian.

nice

# source system
tar -cjvf out.tar.bz /home/faggot
# destination; assuming empty
tar -xjvf out.tar.bz /home/faggot

I save all my important dotfiles and images to my dropbox

I rsync my home directory onto an encrypted backup drive.

I was on 18.10 and wanted to do a fresh install of 19.04, so I tried out the built in backup tool. I created a backup on my NAS and restored from it when I reinstalled. Everything was back in my home folders, and things like thunderbird had my email accounts all set up. Worked pretty well, but I don't think it's very powerful.

>How do you backup your system and migrate it on a fresh install?
Unironically, but Google drive.
Local backups never work in my hands, and I have to use botnet.

Best option is to copy home, yeah

copy /home, reinstall my programs (haven't bothered making a list or automating that process)

I'm genuinely curious, because I'd enjoy it if I had a RAID 1 of shit I cared about and another drive for the OS and shit I don't care about.

one rupee has been deposited into your account

Repo?

I just backup the following:
/home/
/etc/portage/make.conf
/etc/portage/package.use/
/usr/src/linux/.config

My homefolder and packages are synced to a usb

I use syncthing, everything is in sync folder and symlink to .config, Downloads, Documents etc.
>why don't you sync entire /home folder?
Too much junk, I only sync things I wanted to keep.