/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous Thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™!
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t.), X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s), T500, W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, socketed CPU, quadcore-compatible
>T520/T530, W520/W530 - 15", 1080p, desktop replacement
>T440s/T450s - best price/performance ultraportable
>T440p, T540p, W540/1 - last models with socketed processors

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i7 8550U quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250U
>T70 - T60, i7 7700HQ
High-res IPS displays, USB 3.0, M.2 x4, mini-DP
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117
you can directly email the creator regarding purchases
[email protected]

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate niggers swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Helpful links:
>Buyers guide:
dankpads.com/tpg/
>thinkpad-tech-tree.txt - a plaintext map of ThinkPad history:
github.com/Monkeyfume/thinkpad-tech-tree/blob/master/thinkpad-tech-tree.txt
>ThinkWiki - info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>Coreboot compatibility list:
coreboot.org/status/board-status.html
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: miku plush3.jpg (1040x585, 143K)

Other urls found in this thread:

i.imgur.com/irpbmwe.png
store.rg-adguard.net/
blog.voodoo-arts.net/content/edid-informationen-mancher-monitore-sind-falsch-das-kann-man-aber-ändern
youtube.com/watch?v=zC-AJzBbN_c
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Lolis not trannies

What the absolute fuck

I thought that tripcode guy just had long, shitty hair. I had no idea he was an actual trap.

Attached: 1543551069791.jpg (500x428, 146K)

Hi everyone,

I got a used Dell Latitude 5490 yesterday afternoon for $450 with a warranty that has a i7-8650U, 16GB (2x8GB), FHD NonTouch IPS, and a 500GB NVMe SSD. Comes with a charger too. How'd I do? I was hoping for a Thunderbolt 3 laptop, but I realized I didn't really ever anticipate needing an eGPU. It also has that blue touch-stick in the center of the back-lit keyboard. I think its probably a great deal.
I was hoping for a 7490. I recently sold mine with similar specs for $1100 and somewhat regretted it apart from the money. But I think it worked out OK. I actually like the build of the 5490. Its more durable than the 7000 Latitude series. I think the 7490 build quality dropped from the 7480 and they are targeting lighter build materials.
I was considering a T480 but I've read that they've had some problems? A485 would have been nice. I previously had a Dell 5495 and a Lenovo A485 and both would have the iGPU freeze randomly in Linux.
I've been using a T430 with a quad core i7-3740QM and 2133Mhz 16GB RAM. It also has classic keyboard. I have ordered the FHD kit but I think in a few weeks I'll sell the high end parts and sell the FHD as a complete kit with a 1080p IPS AUO BHAN 1.3 screen.
Will probably sell my X220 or X230 too but I think it may be a good idea to keep a backup laptop. Not sure which I'll keep. Maybe the T430?
I always have indecisiveness about laptops and configurations.

Is the T400 supposed to have two separate plastic covers (a bezel and the palmrest) on top of the roll cage? Because I can't get the right part of the palmrest to sit flush with the rest of the assembly; it just floats in there, no matter how I try to put it

Tru reseating the speaker cables properly.

She started talking about wanting to take hormones recently. Nothing surprising, people who are like that are pretty much guaranteed to be eggs.

Attached: Trapcode!Q7.png (216x233, 13K)

What size is the 5490? Keep the thinkpad that's the opposite form factor for varieties sake

14. Dells designate the 2nd number as the size whereas Lenovo uses the first number for thinkpad sizes.
Dell uses 3000 5000 7000 as the way to differentiate the quality libes sort of how Lenovo uses Txxx and Exxx then the rest is what release it is.

another day in clown world
honk

not really a trap since the voice isnt feminine
sucks to be him

ok. i think ill probably keep the x220 because its cheap, small, and durable. would only peob get $100 to sell it anyways. the x230 has ips and a classic keyboard so that will prob go for $250+

I spent a good two hours trying to figure out how to rearrange the speaker cables so that the keyboard and the palmrest would sit flush to each other, but not only does the keyboard bulge from the video connector, the palm rest still bulges on the top right, just below where the other plastic bezel begins
My only theory is that the bottom piece is NOT from a T400 but rather from a T61, because it came with a Type number that returns "T61 compatible memory" when I Google it

libreboot on t420?

have you got the HMM?

i finally bought a thinkpad t420 just for 100€, everything about this thing is so great. i only have two problems with it, i reinstalled windows a few minutes after i had it since the disk was bloated by the previous owner's shit and i can't find this one software which had shown you what happened after you pressed the multimedia keys (such as lowering the volume, muting etc...), i looked for it everywhere on the drivers site but found shit, anyone knows where to get it? the other problem is that the webcam on this thing doesn't seem to work even after installing drivers, everytime i try it out it just shows this picture i.imgur.com/irpbmwe.png is there anything i can do about it? also thanks god that that this thread isn't bloated by that trap faggot
when i first saw him i couldn't even tell what his gender was

Attached: T420_downscaled.jpg (1920x1280, 591K)

wow...way to ask for help then be a dick. Nice one

Nope. Just coreboot, which is actually up to date.

yeah but still Intel ME :(

How common are T430s with 5GHz wifi cards?

I upgraded my T450 crappy hd tn screen for a fullhd ips. However, this is a innolux screen and it is not whitelisted in the bios. Can i rewrite the EDID of a different manufacturer (LG or AUO), but same resolution?

please help.

Attached: IMG_20190416_121842.jpg (4032x3024, 712K)

install lenovo vantage, let that install all the drivers and such
check the BIOS under security -> I/O that the webcam hasn't been disabled

should be all of them

If you're on Windows 10, search for the Lenovo Vantage app on the Store
If you don't have the Microsoft Store or you don't want to log in, search the web with your browser, grab the link and shove it in store.rg-adguard.net/ and grab the latest AppX file or something like that
If on Win 8.1 and lower, download Lenovo System Update from their website
OR, search their EoL site for the drivers
The driver should be called "Hotkey integration" or something like that

>VicTop TKL with Switchmaster blues
That was my very first mech, it was so loud that my housemates could hear me typing through two closed doors.

Attached: chinkymxblues.jpg (3600x2025, 2.49M)

shut the fuck up sissy faggot. not everyone wants circlejerk someone larping as a dick-licker. boohoo. its perverse and degenerate.
update windows and try some of the lenovo drivers. webcam may be off in bios, disabled with keyboard fn keys, or denied permissions access in windows privacy. worst scenario is its nit connected right on mobo or is shorted on the mobo.
yeah just use intel HAP disable bit for now if you need a modern laptop. with t420 you can strip the modules out but still need BUP and one other section.

There are some tricks for EDID flashing via I2C for Thinkpad T60, you don't have to change the parameters of display, just the manufacturer ID.
However i'm not sure for newer displayport screens and T450 in general.

blog.voodoo-arts.net/content/edid-informationen-mancher-monitore-sind-falsch-das-kann-man-aber-ändern

It's in german, use the google translator.

Also check if there are any whitelisted bioses available. Oleh and some guys used to mod them on forums.

How difficult is it to physical change out the screen?
I've got a T450s and a FHD panel on the way and I've no idea what I'm doing when switching it in

*physically

Pretty easy actualy. It took me 15 minutes and i did not damaged the adhesive nor the plastic frame.

Did you bought a whitelisted one?

Yeah I managed to find one in stock at a computer breakers near me so i'm going to pick it up on friday, its come from a borked unit so it shouldn't be a problem

You can still neuter most of it with me_cleaner

What is the cheapest 1080p IPS model t430 or t440? p or s?

depends on the day. avoid anything with "compatible" in the listing.

Hey guys,

need a new usb, what do you use for burning isos?

maybe a new storage drive too. any recommendations?

shut up tranny
i tried downloading these drivers and they unfortunately didn't seem to help. i also forgot to mention that the webcam worked without a single problem when i was booted in arch gnu/linux so it probably is some problem with the drivers in win 7, i'm gonna try updating and see if it changes anything

Go on ebay and just buy multipacks of 8/16gb sticks, best bang for your buck and you get enough to not have to worry about losing them

For a storage drive just buy a regular harddrive and put it in an enclosure

Some femmy twinks take anti androgens to delay their gay death (youthful looks fading after 30)

usually usbs, sometimes i burn shit like older os installers to cds and dvds
after updating windows the "visual ui" thing for the mutlimedia keys had started working, the webcam seems to still be autistic though

nevermind now the webcam is working i just needed to turn it on in the communication center

I've got an x220 and I can hear a squeaking/scratching noise when my computer starts downloading/processing stuff. It comes from the area under the right side of the palmrest.

Any idea what this is? Is a capacitor going?

are batteries from aliexpress usable?

that would be the hard drive, get an ssd

>Thinkpad arrives
>smells like manure
FFS

After taking out the hard drive and peeking inside, looks like this is going to be a near total teardown and rebuild

Currently got a Yoga 2 13" that's a couple of years old, but the trackpad is on the way out - it randomly clicks and shifts the cursor to the bottom of the screen, especially if you put pressure underneath it. The headphone jack is also slightly fucked, as you have to have it at exactly the right angle to get any sound, then twist/fiddle to get it through both earphones. It also changes/drops out if you change the screen angle...

I've been thinking of replacing it with a T450s + IPS but I could probably replace the trackpad for ~£30 and the headphone jack isn't too much of an issue, might just wait for something else to break

Someone spill a piss bottle on it?

It isn’t just any sort of awful smell.
It actually smells like it was used in a dairy barn

t420
speaker grills
how to clean
help

is e585 good

I honestly thing I've contracted autism from this general. I bought an x220 and for some reason I want to buy more old thinkpads despite not actually having any use for them. What exact mental disorder do I have? It's clearly contagious

Hahaha I know that smell. Cows waiting to be milked, huddled together pissing and shitting all over eachother and walking through it, covered up to their knees. After milking you gotta push an acre of inches thick shit into a canal that feeds into a holding pond. My dog used to occasionally go swimming in the shit pond for some reason lol. We had to hose her off and leave her outside for days.
Good luck with your Stankpad

They're stickers. Just replace them.

>E
quite sure you can find a better alternative

You found a rare one, user: a literal Stankpad
Good luck with it, I hope you can remove the smell

Nostalgia and hoarding is all. I think you'll be fine.

Attached: 1556046618840.jpg (2048x2048, 1.4M)

How much of a sin would it be to throw out an AMD X5 original 701c?
I cant recover the body, its effectively destroyed and the plastic is too brittle for me to do anything with. I would legit need an entirely new 3D printed shell for it, and theyre just likely not gonna happen any time soon
I dont want to toss out the holy grail because its got a dent, but its going to be a massive money sink and its the kind of thing where i would be selling the internals to a very specific kind of person.

G40 master race
my laptop can be used as a bludgeoning weapon for both people and horses

Attached: IMG_4013.JPG.23c9925603714b7a4d32e757193e64e3.jpg (3024x4032, 1.17M)

Should I buy a Thinkcentre m93p tiny?

I was thinking in buying a X220 but I find more convenient a tiny PC.

Attached: images.jpg (700x438, 18K)

If you want a tiny desktop just buy whatever cheap laptop you can find and turn it into a desktop, an x220 is supposed to be portable

>the multimedia keys work out of the box on GNU/linux :D

Buy a thinkpad and get the dock for it. Use it with a monitor and the battery will act as an UPS. Youll have a laptop should you ever want to use it as such.

>Ships from India

I just recently bought a t420 with the exact same problem. Maybe it is just a rare stinkpad.
What should I use to get rid of the smell? Alcohol?

If i get an ultrabay SATA adapter caddy and put that in the x200 ultrabase with a hard drive with Windows on it, will i be able to set that as the highest option in the boot order so that it boots from that HDD unless it's not present (like when the ThinkPad is undocked)?

I currently have an x201 with the ultrabase and i have Linux on it for productivity but i wanted to see if i could play some vidya on it too with a 1070 Ti eGPU

the alcohol is supposed to go on you, you should dismantle the thing and wash it, not the electronic parts mind you, the case

I just bought myself my first ThinkPad. A T450s, i7 12GB RAM

it has Win 10... Should I remove it ASAP?
I need to develop on .NET, how can I do this on Linux, Do I run a VM or will Wine trickery or something work?

just received mine today from ebay and felt the same! Literally browsing for old IBM thinkpads right now

they're just so well built and charming - almost a decade old yet still runs like a dream. Gives me the same comfy feel as driving a 1990s toyota camry or soarer

Added 4gbs more ram, swapped for a SSD, loaded lubuntu in and it's been running pretty great

Attached: ss.png (1366x768, 1.11M)

Install Windows 10 Enterprise

I have my old ThinkPad X201 with one specific problem: both shift keys on the main keyboard are not working.

The issue appeared when the provious owner reinstalled Windows. I've installed Manjaro 18.04, but the problem persisted.

External keyboards work just fine (actually, I'm typing from one right now), but the onboard one doesn't.

I've tried showkey, but got no shift keycode. I've tried xev, but got no shift output whatsoever. I've digged through the BIOS to see anything that could affect such behaviour, but still got nothing. Now I don't know what may be the cause of this problem, and how to solve it.

I've succesfully downgraded and then updated my BIOS and EC, but shifts remained numb at all times. I've removed plastic piece under the thinkvantage button to see if there was any water damage, but there were no signs of it. so i think my next step would be to manually probe the keyboard ribbon to see if shifts make contact at all. if not - then 20 dollar keyboard is my choice, but if yes - then it might be problems with motherboard. any suggestions on what to do would be appreciated

Attached: wel.png (1012x848, 730K)

Have you taken it apart and cleaned the contacts? X201 is getting long in the tooth, so generally you'd want to clean the heatsink and grill with canned air and possibly change out the thermal paste as well. If you got it from a previous user, rather than someone who got it from an off-lease lot or some such, it's unlikely to have ever been cleaned or maintained.

hashtag just thinkpad things >:3

Ironically linux is far easy to install on t420 than windows 7.

But for w7, lenovo has driver tools that you can get, driver update or something like that, It will detect all that jazz and download it for you.
I also installed lenovo wireless, battery management and diagnostics.

Just got an x230 and its battery is dying, where do you get new ones? Ebay?

Finally got my first business laptop, and I'm loving it. Best $350 I've ever spent on a laptop.

Elitebook 8770W, if anyone is interested. 16GB of RAM, i7 3940XM, 500 GB HDD, 256 GB SSD.

It's an Xbox Huge of a laptop and power brick (I've literally never seen a brick so large), but it works like a dream.

Got a T480 for work. I think I have it for at least 18 weeks. What should I do first?

Got a L450 myself, same quesion

Originally I had a T400 but thanks to /tpg/ I now have:
T430S
T420S
X61
X61S
Two X220
Two T40
T61
T60
R60
T43
R52

Also got some old HP Compaq, HP Elitebook.
Looking at C2D Dells with trackpoints and 3 button layouts.

Any tip on which is the best cpu a T500 can handle ?

wew
it was just a prank, bro

for this reason i want to buy an old x40 but idk what to do with it. id browse teh web but idk if it even can at this point

Do you have a thinkpad with one of those power on lights that just turn on when the laptop is on?
the round one in pic related
Run these to make it blink depending on your cpu usage:
echo activity > /sys/class/leds/tpacpi::power/trigger
echo 1 > /sys/class/leds/tpacpi::power/invert

Attached: file.png (474x355, 218K)

How much do T440s go for?

whats the best linux distro for my thinkpad?

right now i'm running linux mint cinnamon desktop, but its a little choppy

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1599x1065, 202K)

X9100, or a T9900 which is basically the same CPU but without overclocking capabilities and a lower TDP (44W vs 35W respectively)

Lubuntu or something really light like Arch/Trisquil

what about linux mint xfce?

Xfce runs a treat on my T601. You should be good there.

Can a T420 palmrest fit into a T430?
Not him but I'm running xfce and it's really light, so it should be good.

I thought that was the whole plan?

B140HAN01.3 can be as low as $40, and up to $90.

But what kind of headphones you got?

Attached: 1516127216154.jpg (1280x853, 247K)

I'm also interested. How to get best battery life on older think pads? I got an aftermarket 6 cell for my x220 two years ago but it only boosted the battery to 3 hours. Are the 6 and 9 cell 'new genuine' cells the best bet on ebay?

I've been thinking about painting my ThinkPad olive green or something.
Does anyone have any experience painting plastics? What should I use?

Oh right.. I'll put the alcohol in me then but I would still like to clean the motherboard too. Feels like the smell is coming from inside the machine. It's pretty bad when it gets hot and the fans start to spin faster.

If you're comfortable taking everything out and pulling the plastics off the chassis you can plasti dip it/use regular spray paint

I accidentally dropped my X201 and both the latches keeping the lid closed broke. What can I do to repair it? Can I just buy the hook and replace that or does the whole LCD bezel have to go?

Attached: 1549864790187.jpg (1294x478, 69K)

Actually you don't even have to do that, this guy made a video on it showing how to do it
youtube.com/watch?v=zC-AJzBbN_c

>8770W
Nice one user. it must be massive. FHD display?

Where are the cheapest x220 keyboard and palmrests? Want to get the classic keyboard in my x230

I am planning on doing the same thing I did to my T61 from a smoker:

- disassemble laptop as much as reasonably possible
- wash plastic non-electronic parts with hot water and dish soap, then rinse thoroughly
- clean electronic parts with isopropyl alcohol
- clean heatsink with alcohol and toothbrush, wash also
- clean keyboard with diluted alcohol on a paper towel of shop rag
- let all parts air out for at least a few days before reassembly

It worked ok for my T61, the smell is greatly reduced. But the keyboard never lost it's smell entirely.

It might sound a bit sissy, but why don't you try smearing some perfume into it after you're done cleaning?
Or maybe try with smell remover or something

Just go on ebay and look for new in box oem stuff or buy a for parts/not working X220 and pull the bits you want off of it
Don't bother with cloned components or used parts that have been pulled off a computer by someone else as the chances of getting chinked are pretty high