/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>i7 8700/K - Extreme solution for absolute max FPS
>R7 2700/X - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>RX 570 8GB - good performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard
>RTX 2060 - high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
1440p
>RTX 2060 - standard
>RTX 2080 - high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2080 - standard
>RTX 2080Ti - better fit for 4K but expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Don't bother buying a new monitor for gaming unless it's 144Hz with adaptive sync
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

Previous:

Attached: 1484348845011.png (1336x1336, 94K)

Other urls found in this thread:

adata.com/upload/downloadfile/Datasheet-XPG Flame DDR4 Memory Module U-DIMM_20160822.pdf
intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000026155/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html
pccasegear.com/products/41197/intel-dual-band-wireless-ac-8265-with-bluetooth
amazon.com/Pair-53cm-20-86in-IPEX4-Antennas/dp/B07K68NHVH/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=m.2 wifi antennas&qid=1556610707&s=gateway&sr=8-6
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Reminder 9400f is better and cheaper than 2600x

Attached: 2600x_vs_9400f_inconsistencies_0.jpg (3488x2324, 1.29M)

>still using the copy pasta with 8700k instead of the superior 9700k.

The ONLY reason to get an 8700k is if it's significantly cheaper (more then $50-60) than a 9700k.

I have a Ryzen 5 2600. How fucked am I?

God bless the chinks

Attached: Untitled.png (702x297, 26K)

This is only true until games start pushing more multicore support like they are now.

Also having no hyperthreading means this is gonna suck if you're going to use discord and a browser in the background.

I'm okay with shilling Intel but don't shill their shitty products user.

What's the rest of the setup?
Honestly its a perfectly fine processor, don't let the Intel Aviv tell you otherwise.

Yes there are better but for that price range even for a bit above it's insanely powerful

Stop recommending the 8700k retard when the 2700X beats it in some games.
If you're going to shill intel, shill the 9700k.

Yeah if you're just using a GPU for desktop use with multiple displays, AMD is going to give much less of a headache and is more stable with professional software.
Who knows if Nvidia will EVER fix their problem in Win10 (or hardware accel in general. afaik it happens in win7 too if you have 2 gpu accelerated browsers running, or one spread across both monitors) with mismatched refresh rate. It might be a problem at the architecture level.
A $130 RX570 would be more than enough.

Yeah that retard loves BTFOing himself with his own pictures.
Would almost think it's false flagging.

>even in games
>2600X is better in everything else
so the 2600X is just better for the same price, yes thanks.

>2700X beats it in some games
Objectively false.

>opening yourself up to be BTFO this clearly and objectively
ez

Attached: i_view32_2019-04-29_22-20-37.png (593x693, 188K)

I'm considering upgrading my CPU sometime next year. Are itx mobos for ryzen still trash?

R5 1600 and RX570 Nitro
Is it overkill for 1080p gayming?

Unreasonably priced, poor value NVIDIA GPUs:
>GTX 1650 - poor competitor for RX 570
>GTX 2060 - poor competitor for Vega 56
>GTX 2070 - poor competitor for 2060/56, just get those or jump up to 1080 Ti
>GTX 2080 - poor replacement for 1080 Ti but will be your only option once 1080 Ti becomes too rare
So we're left with only the GTX 1660 and 1660 Ti as appropriately-priced Nvidia GPUs, and eventually the 2080. The 2080 Ti is in its own class as it is the best if you completely disregard money, with no AMD competitor. Meanwhile, AMD has awesome GPUs like the 570, 580, 590 and Vega 56 as well as dominating the iGPU market. With Navi coming up, Nvidia will truly be finished.

Vega 56 often drops down in price to competing with the 1660ti, actually.
So it's really just the 1660 and 2080Ti that they have.
Radeon VII is generally a better buy than the 2080. Cheaper, and better. The only reason it's not recommended is that it has a poor cooler. Removing the shroud greatly improves the cooler performance, though.

Why would it be overkill? It's fine. For the most demanding games, it won't get 60fps maxed. And the 2600 is significantly better but not when the 1600 is half the cost.

2070 is one of the worst power/value cards I've ever seen.

There are even less people willing to fuck with a GPU's cooling solution than there are people willing to overclock it. For the vast, vast majority of people, and even of enthusiasts, the 2080 would be a better buy than the Radeon VII.

I was given an old EVGA x58 board and a xeon 5560. Could I use this in a home server build, or is it useful for anything else?

The selection isn't great, the asus rog strix x470-I, msi B450I gaming plus ac, and Gigabyte B450 are probably the better releases so far if you want to give them a checkout The x570s and B550s being released this year might offer a change for the better so you'd just have to wait and see if they're up to your standards when you decide to upgrade.

Any recs for a deep learning build? I want to start with two GPUs (Nvidia only) and scale to four when it fits my budget

Buy a prebuilt, if that's how you feel.
Unscrewing a shroud and screwing the cooler itself back on is not difficult.

But it's not like anyone who recommends the Radeon VII doesn't warn against the stock noise levels.

It's pretty hot running for a home server and even an Athlon 200GE would generally be better for most uses. But sure you technically could. The CPU can still manage 60fps in most older games, and even some new efficient ones like DmC5, too.

Both the MSI and ASUS one are more than decent.

So my Corsair cx550m just kicked the bucket, thankfully it didn't take any parts with it. I haven't been keeping up with what PSUs are good/decent/bad, are Seasonic and Antec still good brands?

I have:
i7-2600
GTX 750Ti
16GB ram (4x4GB sticks)
120GB HP SSD
1TB WD Blue

seasonic = yes
wtf is antec

Are you trying to salvage some parts for use in a new PC by posting yoru specs?

I can finally decide on which cpu to get, which is a 9700k. Wait for zen2 my fucking ass.

Attached: 76356677.jpg (1222x750, 189K)

Antec is still good. Just stick to their earthwatts brand.
Eitherway just go whoever has the cheaper gold rated one.

Based Lisa

>Vega 56 often drops down in price to competing with the 1660ti, actually.
except i'm far more willing to buy a low power draw nvidia card from 2019 than I am a high power draw AMD card from 2017.

All the extra goodies like encode/decode support, and UHD bluray and 4k streaming playback, as well as higher quality NVENC that comes on the 16xx and 20xx GPUs.

If ALL you care about is price/performance for current gaming, sure i guess the V56 competes, but I feel most people would get a 1660Ti over a V56 if they're at that price point.

Antec Earthwatts are made by Seasonic, IIRC. Feel free to double check that, though.
Ya. Just get a 400-600W depending on how powerful of components you plan to upgrade to later. 400 is way more than enough for what you currently have.

Avoid CXM. Though supposedly their new 2017 model is fine.

Weak bait.

>muh Turing NVENC
AMD has a good equivalent, and who the fuck uses NVENC instead of something like Lagarith codec?

>who the fuck uses NVENC instead of something like Lagarith codec?
literally and unironically, most people.

Yeah this is a huge as fuck meme.
Nvidiots weren't spamming about how Vega and Polaris had a better encoder compared to Pascal.
but now that Nvidia comes out with a better encoder it matters

Attached: welp.jpg (335x333, 28K)

Hi guys. Why this RAM has only 3 values in the timings? adata.com/upload/downloadfile/Datasheet-XPG Flame DDR4 Memory Module U-DIMM_20160822.pdf

Attached: OfGECYIU4jk.jpg (723x388, 262K)

Hey, I'm building my first PC ever which will be used, at the most, for casual gaming.

How does this build look? I had some help from /v/ and figured I'd check in here to make sure it's all good. Is there anything I can change to reduce cost?

Also is my GPU too overboard? The only modern game I think I'll be playing is Sea of Thieves. 99% of what I'm going to be doing is just Jow Forums and watching anime.

Attached: pc4.png (1210x688, 79K)

Poor turing

Same game different reviewer.
Seems to be a completely GPU bottlenecked title.
Whatever test method your guy was doing probably had a lot of run to run variance which explains the 2990WX being faster than the 2950X

Attached: 1.png (1240x698, 198K)

>Turing releases
>Everyone is suddenly a game streamer

Intel 5ghz = AMD 4.2ghz
AMD 4.5ghz = ?

Because they chose not to show the 3rd subtiming. There are dozens of timings, not just 4 timings.

That's a solid build except that I wouldn't get a Gigabyte GPU, 650W is more than you need, and the SSD is questionable.
Why wouldn't you just get a decent 1Tb SSD and drop the HDD entirely?

Multiple reviewers put For Honor ahead on Ryzen yet Steve is the one with the outlier benchmark as usual. Go figure.

Streaming is still better with software encoding, as well.

Cool theory, but why would the 4.4GHz 2950X be the slowest of the lot then?
>Multiple reviewers put For Honor ahead on Ryzen
Prove it

>Gigabyte GPU
What would you recommend instead?

>650W is more than you need
An user on /v/ kept saying my power supply was too low, what should I look for instead? Gold certified + 550W?

>and the SSD is questionable.
Yeah, I'm going to switch it out for a Samsung SSD. Forgot to update my pic.

>Cool theory, but why would the 4.4GHz 2950X be the slowest of the lot then?
Poor usermode scheduling in the game.

>/v/
Full of absolute retards.
Your build won't draw over 250W peak. 400 or 450 for PSU would be plenty.
450W for a 1660/ti/570 build and 550 for a 580/vega56 build, with a low power CPU like the 2600/X, is pretty standard.
Hardware just gets more efficient over generations.

He shills whatever is better clickbait for the time. Has absolutely no ethics.

>8700k
9700k*.

>Poor usermode scheduling in the game.
All the other processors have the same limitation. Should get worse the more cores you have, not better.
The only way that'll affect the end score is if it's so bad it's introducing huge run to run variation, oh wait.
Still waiting on those multiple reviewers too.

>My selfmade benchmarks are real!!11

>My selfmade benchmarks are real!!11

Should a 2600x be good enough to emulate pretty much everything that isn't PS3 or Switch at full speed? I'm mainly interested in PS2 and Gamecube emulation.

>Your build won't draw over 250W peak
Yeah, that's what PCpartpicker says. 226W Estimated wattage. But some user was insistent throughout the thread on /v/ that I upgrade my PSU.

So, you're saying 400 or 450 would be fine. What about bronze vs gold etc?

Should be.
I've got a 1600 at 3.7GHz and it gets 42FPS in the shittest spot in botw CEMU.

2600x
Rx 580 8gb
16gb ddr4 3000mhz (2x8)
250 gb 860 evo
2tb hitachi

Whats a good motherboard, was gonna get the Asus rog b450f for $120 but it doesn't have integrated WiFi and Bluetooth should I just use a dongle? Should I use the included wraith cooler or another one?

Yes it's fine for PS2, GameCube, and even WiiU.
Only thing I'm aware it can struggle on is RPCS3.

dongles aren't good. Either get a pci or m.2 one, or a usb one which uses an extension.
Strix, Tomahawk, Mortar, are fine. But yeah they don't have built in wifi.

I'd rather get a 8600k and oc to 5ghz if I were building for emulation desu. Single core reigns over multicore in emulation.

is the NZXT H500i the best case out right now or is it just the one being shilled the hardest?

it comes up in literally every search across every website when i sort by top rated. it's stupid cheap, supports liquid cooling, and has drive bays. should i get it for my new build?

>implying you can play emulated games at over 60fps
retarded shill memer

Ah ok, should I use the included wraith cooler or something else, and would 650w be enough?

How does this look? $746 with rebates.

Is there any way to reduce the price some more?

Attached: pc5.png (1205x690, 79K)

You can save yourself a few bucks and get the non-i version. It's okay but I would've preferred looking at different cases a little more

You should increase the amount of money you're spending by like $20 and get RAM that is 3000MHz CL16.

Why? I'm not going to be doing any real hardcore gaming. Like the most I'll be playing is Sea of Thieves and maybe TF2. 99% of what I'll be doing is just Jow Forums and watching anime.

Is my PC too powerful for stuff like that or does it seem about right?

>Implying emulated games run at 60fps
Retarded drone

whats the difference? cant even tell from photos

Is that ram at 1.2v and you're going to OC itself?
Get a card that's not Gigabyte brand. They're literally the worse except for maybe ASRock.
Are you sure that CXM is the 2017 model? I don't think the 2017 model comes in 450W.

Some do. But yeah lots are only 30fps, which makes it even more stupid to overspend on the CPU and power bill with an 8600k to emulate PS2 and Gamecube games.

>M.2 WiFi adapters
Why wasn't I made aware of this earlier

I've never used a water cooling unit. I assume its pretty easy to install? I was looking at either a kraken X62 or H100i V2.

AIOs are generally easier to install than thicc air coolers because you don't have to fuck around with mounting brackets and remove tall RAM/GPU first and shit.

Not many people are aware of them.
Another little known thing is that "onboard wifi" are just motherboards with an extra hidden m.2 slot with an off the shelf m.2 network adapter plugged into it.
The MSI b450 gaming pro carbon AC's wifi is an intel 9260 for example

What this user said
Got an h60i and it cools way quieter and better than the stock cooler on my 2600x, and it runs 20 degrees less in every situation than before.

I'm not sure if the benefit of the bigger radiator matters, but I do overclock too.

It's pretty diminishing returns with CPU cooling because the bottleneck is the CPU package thermal conductivity and interface area
An overclocked Vega 64 (a 350w+ card) can be cooled pretty well by a 120mm radiator because the vega die is massive but a stock 9900K will probably thermal throttle in AVX load with the same cooler despite being a ~200watt chip because the die is comparatively tiny.

So you're saying the bigger radiator is more important on a CPU or not?

Anyone socket 2011 here?
A X79 board, 16GB ECC REG RAM and a E5 2667v2 is pretty affordable. Probably couldn't do much worse than my Haswell i5.

Only when its necessary so with intel chips.
You definitely need a 240 or 280mm rad to get the most out of a 9700K or 9900K unless you give up on AVX completely and set a low AVX offset.
AMD's dies are bigger than intel's (minus the igpu) and they can't overclock for shit so you're probably not going to be missing out on anything with a 120mm. It might be the difference between a 4.175GHz OC and a 4.2GHz OC

I only use PBO because testing with manual OC yielded similar results in FPS in games for me.

What do you mean they can't overclock for shit though? They have pretty good overclock range from what I've seen.

I mean cooling isnt the limit. Also they dont get more than 200Mhz above the all core turbo
AMD cpus always give up around 4.2GHz, 4.3 if you got lucky with the silicon lottery and they generally aren't using much power when they get there, tom's hardware got 150watts in prime 95 at 4.3GHz and that's piss easy to cool.

*with a 2700X

Devilish, like your upside down Satan digits. I suppose I could save a cool 50 bucks by getting a regular board with extra M.2 slots? My current plan was to buy ASUS's Crosshair Hero VI simce I frequently travel and I didn't want my network PCIe obstructing my graphics card's fans. Buying a Bluetooth/WiFi combo card could also free up an extra USB port.

You'll have to deal with antenna wiring though
Buy one of those m2 to pcie adapters for wifi cards.

>Another little known thing is that "onboard wifi" are just motherboards with an extra hidden m.2 slot with an off the shelf m.2 network adapter plugged into it.
Does this extend to z390's "chipset integrated wifi"?

It's probably the same deal with kaby lake laptop CPUs. Part of the wireless module is built into the chipset. The other is on a separate card. The separate card will only work with a compatible chipset.

Yes, they're using a companion RF module like an intel 9560 in an m.2 slot somewhere on the board.
intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000026155/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html
afaik you can plug a true m.2 network adapter into that m.2 slot and it will connect just the same

This.
Youncan also get an expansion bracket with antennas like the one that comes with this kit pccasegear.com/products/41197/intel-dual-band-wireless-ac-8265-with-bluetooth
But I dont know where you get them separately

From china of course

>If you were here in 2016 you would have been told to just wait for vega, it was months away from release and that it'll be 1080ti tier.
So exactly like every AMD product?
>wait it will be better than it will actually be
>its just a stop gap
>wait for the next thing

redpill me on gaming laptops

Hmm. On second thought, would a simple USB 3.0 (3.2/Gen 2 if I can find one) WiFi adapter be sufficient for browsing and maybe the occasional online gaming on the go? Something I can keep in a PC suitcase and install at my destination? That way I won't need to worry about losing the antennae and I can use the M.2 slots for other purposes.

I personally see the 9400f as the budget gaming only pc.
or if you already have memory that isn't that great and don't want to upgrade that just for ryzen.
Over all it's kinda of niche right now and depending on price it can either be pointless or actually good.

They've gotten better.
There are even a few now where you don't have to sacrifice reasonable battery life just to have the ability to game.
They're expensive though

>>GTX 1650 - poor competitor for RX 570
Correct
>>GTX 2060 - poor competitor for Vega 56
False, you fucking shill.
>>GTX 2070 - poor competitor for 2060/56, just get those or jump up to 1080 Ti
Correct 2070 is not very price/performance like 2060.
>>GTX 2080 - poor replacement for 1080 Ti but will be your only option once 1080 Ti becomes too rare
Better than radeon 7.
>So we're left with only the GTX 1660 and 1660 Ti as appropriately-priced Nvidia GPUs
And the 2060, if you aren't a shill.

You can put the antenna inside if you want. it just reduces reception if the case is metal
You can get tape on ones like these amazon.com/Pair-53cm-20-86in-IPEX4-Antennas/dp/B07K68NHVH/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=m.2 wifi antennas&qid=1556610707&s=gateway&sr=8-6
USB wifi sticks are generally crud, i wouldnt game on them

Does HBM really do anything for games? The VII trades blows with the 2080 but the 2080 still uses GDDR. I can't help but feel that if the Radeon VII ditched the HBM it could've been much cheaper.

PCs aren't consoles.
They're pretty much never used for purely gaming with nothing else running in the background.

HBM is just the technology used to make smaller PCBs (Vega Nano), because it's more power efficient, and because AMDs architecture has needed more bandwidth than Nvidia's lately.
Vega with GDDR5X would be less good.
>The VII trades blows with the 2080 but the 2080 still uses GDDR.
... 2080 uses GDDR6 not GDDR5/X.
GDDR6 did not exist when Vega was engineered.

Still won't be good until 10nm/7nm CPU + GPU comes.

I'll weigh my options. Either way, more options for how I want to pursue my Wifi requirements is never a bad thing, and I appreciate that M.2 options were made aware to me, especially since it means I can potentially get a cheaper Mobo.

Vega is terribly bandwidth starved. Without hbm it would be uncompetitive.

Nope. GCN just seems to need shit tonnes of bandwidth to produce menial performance.
The 290X has 320GB/sec worth of bandwidth compared to 224GB/sec on its direct competitor the GTX 980.
Similar things with Pascal v Polaris. 580 has a 256GB/sec bandwidth, 1060 has 192GB/sec. Pascal doesn't get 256GB/sec until the 1070 and 1070ti and those are unarguably faster cards than the 580.

>PCs aren't consoles.
That's right, you can do other stuff while not gaming.
>They're pretty much never used for purely gaming with nothing else running in the background.
See, you imply that any discord app in the background would fuck you over while in reality as long as you aren't rendering videos in the background youl be fine.

is navi going to be shit?

It's probably going to be midrange.
What's shit or not depends on the price and what nvidia does in response.

When does it fucking come out, when are we getting fucking details form AMD?
I want to know if it's even worth waiting.

They can't not offer a GPU that outcompetes the RTX 2060 for $100 less as the bare minimum. If that isn't happening, then Lisa is the biggest retard of 2019. Depends on how much you trust AMD.

Attached: heyheylisten.jpg (782x239, 40K)

No one knows. It's probably ages away though, 7nm isn't cheap and they're not going to be able to make much of a margin on midrange cards

>alleged
>rumored
this is a amd fans wish list

>This is only true until games start pushing more multicore support like they are now.
Current gen consoles were released in 2013. Both PS4 and XBone had 8 core CPUs (pretty shitty ones). After more than 6 years of game development we still haven't seen an effective usage of 8 cores in gaming and most of the shit that was released in the last 6 years tops it's performance at 6 cores at best.
Quite frankly 8c/16t for gaming is a bit of a marketing meme. Games just aren't scaling well and I doubt that anything dramatic will change in the next gen of consoles (especially considering that now they'll have a decent single core performance and won't have to push multicore optimizations so far to get 60fps)