/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1516283920153.png (2000x2477, 330K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.debian.org/KDE#Installation
support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-and-remove-firefox-profiles
imgur.com/a/mU5q6jU
api.snapcr
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

today is for fedora 30

Attached: 1470944136596.jpg (480x480, 38K)

Distros are lies

install gentoo.

Why is it not possible for Dolphin to just use one config file to store all directory properties? creating a .directory file for every directory seems really stupid for so many reasons

>Dolphin only needs to check the directory for a file instead searching through a big file every time you change directory
>If you don't like the settings and want to reset you can delete the .directory instead of going through your .configs to find the right entry
>You can recursively delete all .directory files if you want to get rid of all settings
>Your settings are also portable

If I do a Debian netinstall with minimal KDE metapackage, everything will WORK, or I will have to tinker around a lot to get things right?
I tried out yesterday on a rush just to see, and Discover was giving me an error about not being able to update because it was offline, even tho I was on the internet.
I want to use KDE, but I don't want Kmail, Akonadi, Akregator, etc.

Chrome OS is the best Linux distro

How do I get Nitrogen to handle the wallpaper in Plasma?

When I buy an SSD can I just use dd to clone my EFI boot partition, / and /home partitions onto it from my existing HDD? And change GUID entries in fstab.
Is this all I need to do to have it boot and work normally?

Attached: 1301025382_preview_1398384610503.jpg (317x330, 13K)

I installed a program and for whatever reason the man pages did not come with it.

Is it possible to instal the man pages afterwards/seperately?

i didn't consider any of these points
furthermore, i decided that i wanted to delete all .directory Giles, so i did:
sudo find / -name '.directory' -type f -delete
which i now know deletes a whole lotta files.
so really, you won this argument twice with only one post

good job

yes

something is really not cool with my manjaro install
upon booting desktop is missing, constant hiccups and freezes whenever there is something written or read from drive
i had installed new drive a week ago but its currently not mounted anywhere, could it be the case?

hello Jow Forumsentleman, i just installed linux and im trying to set up the basic bitch Jow Forums workstation with arch+i3+hipster font. I have xorg working and i3 is installed and funcitonal but my system-wide font seems to have been overridden when i downloaded this ttf-bitstream-vera font (which qutebrowser needed to work for some reason). Ever since i installed the font, i3bar and my urxvt font have changed to ttf-bitstream-vera. I tried uninstalling the font but then fc-match shows me that it's set to "adobe utopia", and my bar DOES go back to the desired terminus font but urxvt is still being overridden by something. I found in fc-list that "Adobe Utopia" is the first listed font. I can't even launch urxvt anymore by typing urxvt -fn "xft:Terminus" I can see that terminus is listed in /etc/fonts/conf.d/ as 98-yes-terminus.conf. Any advice on how to proceed? I would just like terminus to be my system-wide font and fontconfig is really confusing to a newbie

Attached: 1549305117623.gif (487x560, 898K)

not to sound like a sped, my sister wants Linux on her Laptop, would a somewhat thotty woman probably prefer Ubuntu's appstore like Software store or Manjaro's Pamac?

Install Linux

give her biebian

>i just installed linux
Why did you just install a kernel? Ofcourse your shit wont work retard

Pamac has everything software store has and also has much more software.
But manjaro requires more mentain. Give her ubuntu (not gnome one,choose kubuntu, xubuntu or whatever)
, install whatever she wants and forget about software store and pamac.

it's on the wiki here wiki.debian.org/KDE#Installation

check your bootloader entries (EFI/loader/entries/*.conf if using bootctl) and modify disk ids there too unless you're using labels

are you missing the man binary or some/all manpages?

"man i3" and "man i3bar" will tell you where to look for their config files. not sure about the rest but it will be on the arch wiki.

if she's not able to install it herself, choose whichever you're most comfortable being her personal tech support guy for.

Does this just happened or happened since you installed new drive?
It could be what you said but it maybe because of the latest update.

Gone with Ubuntu and why not Gnome? though KDE and XFCE is arguably the most similar to Window's Desktop environment she really liked Gnome so I decided to go with that.
Spat my drink out user didn't think that actually existed might install it on a VM just for shits and giggles.

firefox wont load any websites, i mean there is no notification on whether or not its looking up site in left bottom corner, i have to "jumpstart" it putting a https on a command line, then it works like before

Gnome is shit. But if she likes it I see no points why not give her that.

im not really sure where exactly did it start, btw i just had a massive freeze, it could be a coincidence, i dont have this dive mounted now, not even in fstab, it is just spinning there doing nothing, its my old drive that gets written to although i has never been like that
I will try to remove the new one and then boot

support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-and-remove-firefox-profiles

i figured out that if i disable some of my add ons it starts, ublock or umatrix for example, i dont want to create a new profile given quite a lot of customization put in
will reinstalling them suffice?

ok so you know now that it's a config issue rather than anything with ff itself.
figure out which addon is causing it, backup its' settings, then reinstall if you like and reset if that doesn't work.

Disable all your addons then enable them one by one while checking website

I use qbittorrent with ~600 torrents (seeding size ~4TB) and the program is quite laggy and slow. Is this a qbittorrent limitation? I also use mergerFS for file management over multiple HDDs. Could that be the bottleneck? How can I test this?

i got it sorted, script monkey and twitch ad blocker are the only ones that work
when i got it started, i can enable or disable any of them, the problem arises when i try to restart firefox, then it wont load with certain
addons

gnome is great for people who are not powerusers

I mean i think, i only used gnome for 2 days and i really didn't like it so.

Will secure boot automatically enable when i'll upgrade from stretch to buster ?

I'm fine with Arch on my desktop but need something easy preconfigured for my brother's laptop (got pretty slow with windows recently) that just works with Steam. (he plays the same games I do on Arch so they will work on all those 3 OSes)
Manjaro, Pop OS, or Xubuntu?

after unplugging the drive and some time passed i think its it indeed better now
and i dont know why, previously firefox was writeing or reading to my old drive (i could tell it by the sound, anyway new drive was not used at all) and it was freezing even a fucking clock
now its silent, although i dont get it what difference did i make by unplugging not used drive

probably best of with xubuntu

If it's getting slow i'd go with xubuntu.

Right so installed ubuntu onto my sister's Laptop one issue is the WiFi isn't working and I'm wondering what should I try and gather from all of this?
imgur.com/a/mU5q6jU

also fucking range bans I swear to christ.

DE in general are made for beginners.

How do I update all my drivers on ubuntu?

apt update && apt upgrade

Yeah but gnome has that "oouh so modern and flashy" feel to it.

You don't need to. The update manager will tell you when to upgrade.

okay now i have not a single clue what can it be
without the new drive it still freezes sometimes but much less frequent, same with drive being milled all the time, it is pretty much silent despite the same activity which was web browser now and then

What's the difference in behaviour between these two lines?

echo "$foo" | grep ...
echo $foo | grep ...

I have over 2000 torrents on qbittorrent without laggs.

I want to disable intel c-states sometimes to improve latency for certain things, but this causes intel_powerclamp to bitch every time I boot about my cpu not supporting mwait. I'm using a kernel hard compiled with intel_powerclamp so I can't rmmod it. Is there some other way to suppress this dumb useless warning?

The first one will print $foo. The 2nd one will print the value of $foo

So... how are those two not the same? Like, when will they differ? Sorry if it's a stupid question, I'm still quite new.

>Not understanding variables

Attached: 1552660745222.jpg (731x588, 91K)

Say $foo="one two"
Then after the variable expansion your two commands would be:
>echo one two | grep ...
>echo "one two" | grep ...
variable expansion occurs before the command is run.

That post isn't accurate. Variable expansion still occurs inside double quotes. However, it doesn't occur inside single quotes (so he would be right if you had used echo '$foo' instead of echo "$foo")

Quoting variables can make a huge different. It depends on the program though.
>my_prog "one two"
has 1 parameter which is the string "one two"
>my_prog one two
has 2 parameters, the string "one" and the string "two"

the second one undergoes word splitting as re-assembled with spaces between the arguments by echo, so if you have whitespace in the string it will be replaced by a single space.
foo="a b"
echo "${foo}"
# "a b"
echo ${foo}
# "a b"

Both lines produce the same result in my script, grep finds the thing it's supposed to find. I just want to know which is one is better and why.

That has nothing to do with the nature of the variable expansion.
The fact that you don't notice a difference is just because echo is programmed to spit out the same result for both. Echo takes in any number of strings and joins them.

Also you never said what $foo is. In most cases "$foo" and $foo would be identical and you wouldn't expect to notice a difference, but in some cases it's not (such as the case where it contains special characters or whitespace, however in the case of whitespace you still won't notice a difference because echo will join the strings anyway, but not all programs behave that way).

>In most cases "$foo" and $foo would be identical and you wouldn't expect to notice a difference, but in some cases it's not (such as the case where it contains special characters or whitespace, however in the case of whitespace you still won't notice a difference because echo will join the strings anyway, but not all programs behave that way).
I guess this is what I wanted to know. So if $foo contains, say, a \n, : or / the result will be different, right? Are there other cases of this same behaviour that are not special characters?

.NET development on Linux.
Can it be done? Should it be done?

Basically. (but I don't think : and / are considered special characters and don't require quoting)

>Are there other cases of this same behaviour that are not special characters?
I don't know what you mean by this. If they aren't special characters then quoting makes no difference.

>If they aren't special characters then quoting makes no difference.
Ok, that's probably the answer I was looking for, thanks!

if in doubt, always quote. you pretty much never want your variables to undergo wordsplitting.

I have a cronjob that runs every 10 minutes AND once a day at 23:55. Right now I just have two entries in the crontab, one for each rule. Is there a better way around this? Is calling the script every 5 minutes and only doing stuff if it's 23:55 or minutes%10=0 a better idea? Maybe there's a way to let cron know about exceptions to rules without creating a second rule?

>I have a cronjob that runs every 10 minutes AND once a day at 23:55

Run it every 5, 15, 25 ... 55 minutes instead

It has to be forcefully run at 0, 10, 20, 30, 40 and 50 minutes every hour, so that's not an option.

Then leave the two entries in place. That's always going to be cleaner (and less expensive) than repeatedly running the script every 5 minutes with your own time checking conditions fudged in on top.

I think 2 crontab entries is the right way, they are different schedules.

Yes, look up Mono.

Thanks.

Laptop ceased to find a specific wifi. The stange thing is that it had worked in the past.

Changed the regdom, still does not work.

Has anybody experienced such problems before?

Btw I use arch + wpa_supplicant

right bottom says driver is rt8xxx
left bottom says its unsupported

do the math.

Has anyone else had an issue with a jumpy trackpad on the x220 with fedora/mint/ubuntu? Google isn't much help in terms of resolving it.

>using the trackpad on a thinkpad
kys

>Can it be done?
Yes.
>Should it be done?
I'm not sure, google it and see if it's sensible.

Kind of a stupid answer I know but please give the trackpoint a try. It's actually really good.

I just got KDE Neon but the touchpad feels so bad to use if I compare to to Ubuntu and Mint. And Reverse scrolling settings do nothing it only works in the test window next to the setting. Is there any way to fix this?

try installing xserver-xorg-input-synaptics

you better tell me how it went, I spent a minute fighting jewgle captcha

So, we have this "broken" monitor at work which I adopted as my second monitor. It has some problems in identifying itself to the computer (both windows and linux) so I need to manually set up it's resolution. I do that by using:
sudo xrandr --newmode "1600x900_60.00" 118.25 1600 1696 1856 2112 900 903 908 934 -hsync +vsync
sudo xrandr --addmode VGA-1 "1600x900_60.00"

however, I need to do this (and then manually set this config in "Display") every time I boot my computer. Is there any way to make these permanent?
Using Ubuntu 16.04 btw

why does my boot take so long? Here are some entries that take pretty long. I'm running Kubuntu 18.04 on an acer laptop.

Apr 28 17:27:34 Aspire-V3-372 systemd[1]: Started PackageKit Daemon.
Apr 28 17:27:35 Aspire-V3-372 PackageKit[1496]: get-updates transaction /2536_aedeccce from uid 1000 fin
Apr 28 17:27:48 Aspire-V3-372 snapd[803]: stateengine.go:102: state ensure error: Get api.snapcr
Apr 28 17:27:56 Aspire-V3-372 systemd[1]: NetworkManager-wait-online.service: Main process exited, code=
Apr 28 17:27:56 Aspire-V3-372 systemd[1]: NetworkManager-wait-online.service: Failed with result 'exit-c
Apr 28 17:27:56 Aspire-V3-372 systemd[1]: Failed to start Network Manager Wait Online.
Apr 28 17:27:56 Aspire-V3-372 systemd[1]: Reached target Network is Online.
Apr 28 17:27:56 Aspire-V3-372 systemd[1]: Starting Tool to automatically collect and submit kernel crash
Apr 28 17:27:56 Aspire-V3-372 systemd[1]: Starting Samba NMB Daemon...
Apr 28 17:27:56 Aspire-V3-372 systemd[1]: Started crash report submission daemon.
Apr 28 17:27:56 Aspire-V3-372 systemd[1]: kerneloops.service: Found left-over process 1602 (kerneloops)
Apr 28 17:27:56 Aspire-V3-372 systemd[1]: This usually indicates unclean termination of a previous run,
Apr 28 17:27:56 Aspire-V3-372 systemd[1]: Started Tool to automatically collect and submit kernel crash
Apr 28 17:27:56 Aspire-V3-372 whoopsie[1601]: [17:27:56] Using lock path: /var/lock/whoopsie/lock
Apr 28 17:27:56 Aspire-V3-372 whoopsie[1601]: [17:27:56] offline
Apr 28 17:28:01 Aspire-V3-372 snapd[803]: daemon.go:611: gracefully waiting for running hooks

Attached: pp_18122017_120654_8_1_wipsurvey_experiment1_000.jpg (128x128, 4K)

It claimed to be installed already sadly.

Make it a shell script and add it to the boot sequence

dude.

systemd-blame
systemd-analyze plot > boot.svg

write a script that executes the commands and then a crontab for it.

Three options

1. set up sudo to let you run xrandr without password then autorun the commands every time you get in your X session
2. set up xorg.conf for your monitor
3. buy a new VGA cable that actually lets EDID data through

brainlets

Why do i feel the constant need to distrohop,it feels like it's holding me back but truth is i am too much of a brainlet to actually achieve something.

This really helped, thank you!
I figured out how to disable some stuff that was delaying my boot after the kernel starts.

My kernel itself though takes 34 seconds to start. Is there any way to debug and reduce that, or isn't that possible at all?

It used to take me around 20s to boot when I first installed Kubuntu 16,04, which i then upgraded from.

Attached: pp_18122017_121031_10_1_wipsurvey_experiment1_010.jpg (128x128, 5K)

Read dmesg, check where the timestamp at the beginning of the lines have a large jump to see what's the hold up.

I had that kernel problem with 16.04 with a computer at work.
One of the network drivers caused the problem, it had a 90 second delay for some reason. After the one and half minute passed, it worked fine, but stalled boot forever.
I fixed it by setting the initrd generator to only include very basic kernel modules in the initrd (disk drivers, filesystem and such, no network and other drivers). The stall disappeared completely. In rare cases I had to wait a little bit after the desktop appeared to have internet.

Windows 10 is too bloated for a craptop. I've never used Linux before, what would be a good distro to start with? Mint and Xubuntu were two I saw online for Windows users that need something lighter.

Consider Xubuntu, Lubuntu and Ubuntu-mate.

Check their websites or search for screenshots of them and install whichever looks more eye pleasing for you.

Is there some utility i can use to show a splash screen while a program i launched is loading?
Something like splashscr /path/to/image/ "firefox"\
pic unrelated

Attached: screenFetch-2019-04-26_11-53-23.png (1366x768, 233K)

First is right, second is wrong.
Always quote your variables.

What’s a good distro with up to date packages/drivers for PCI-E passthrough for kvm? I just want to use a non-botnet OS, but spin up an offline VM for games when I feel the need with native performance. I have 2 GeForce VGA cards.

Which distro would you install on a 15yo pc running on a Pentium 4?
Kubuntu? Mint?

Gentoo

Arch is bleeding edge, passthrough works great for me

I want to disable icons in all menus except the application menu of LXpanel.
I tried setting gtk-menu-icons=0 in my .gtkrc and starting LXpanel with $GTK2_RC_FILES pointing to a different gtkrc that soucres the main one, but sets gtk-menu-icons=1.
This works, but any aplication started from LXpanel inherits this environment variable and since the point of having an application menu is to start applications from it, this gets me nowhere.

Is there a way to prevent a process from passing a part of its environment (in this case $GTK2_RC_FILES) onto its children?

Attached: I_use_Arch_btw.jpg (1366x768, 124K)

should I use i3-gaps or bspwm? I'm really torn between the 2.

Any guide/tutorial on purging systemd from Ubuntu?

Debian or Devuan with XFCE/LXDE/simple VM/text only.

None because you cannot do that.

Trying to get wireguard to work as vpn on my android. Funny thing is I can use chrom* browsers fine but firefox doesn't seem to work. Do you need root or am I missing something here?
Better off installing a distro meant for sunnyD removal.

What distro should I use? Looking for something simple, customizable, and preferably free as in freedom.