Purism

So... will it flop?

Attached: purism.jpg (1280x720, 176K)

Other urls found in this thread:

puri.sm/posts/purisms-librem-5-progress-in-videos/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Well they already seem to be doing well with their freetardish-but-not-ancient laptops. The phone is still in development right now, but what they have now is promising.
puri.sm/posts/purisms-librem-5-progress-in-videos/

It depends on the frequencies it supports.

Yes. It will

I hope not but i have my doubts. I want to get one but the first model is most likely going to be relatively shitty compared to any other modern smartphone.

didn't intel silently cockblock their attempts at reverse engineering and publicizing their firmware details?

I think they're banking too heavily on the privacy aspects of a pure linux phone for their marketing, there laptops have done merely okay and that was with the dual markets of hard privacy enthusiasts and people that were in the market for a linux laptop they didn't have to fuck with to get working properly that wasn't a 8 year old thinkpad

Androids development space is already pretty good for people looking to make privacy hardened ROM's (as private as a mobile phone with a backdoored processor in it can be anyway) and its comparatively well polished even on cheap devices

I think there's going to be a lot of people that are going to look at it and think the idea is cool but will balk at the idea of dropping 700 dollars on a phone that is first generation android level unpolished with a very limited ecosystem of apps and mediocre specs for the money

Depends on the target market. If they're going after the FOSS enthusiast market, they might be able to pull it off. If they want to enter the mainstream, they have a lot of work to do, especially when it comes to marketing and brand promotion.

I hope not. I'll probably pick one up and hope it isn't a giant dumpster fire of unusability.

Hardware wise I think the Librem 5 will be a decent phone. It's not top end but it has zero proprietary bullshit which is increasingly rare in smartphones. The OS it ships with might be a dud though. I don't trust that Purism will be able to make it a good user experience if they are just porting their GNU/Linux distro to a smartphone. That won't matter though if it's possible to install open source Android on it like Lineage. The Librem 5 running Lineage could become the default FOSS smartphone option for a lot of people going forward, which would be a success IMO.

No. For it to flop they'd have to release it first :^)
Of course I'd like for them to succeed, but this thing is probably DOA.

Probably. That shit is way too overpriced for the hardware you get with it.

yes

They will not flop but only if normie get ability to connect any bluetooth mouse and keyboard without hassle + it can't require exotic cable to connect to monitor.
It needs to be standard hdmi/dvi cable plugged to phone via small converter included with phone in the box.
Preferably bluetooth mouse/keyboard with touchpad could be also included as a bundle with phone itself because users will forget about this feature after month and continue use as a regular smartphone.

Otherwise it will flop for next 5-10 years.
I guess it will take that much time Apple to do it and other would coppy it as notch but Apple solution would be very locked down shit with 30 dongles to prevent canibalism on macbooks so...

I do like the idea but it's hard to tell.

>It needs to be standard hdmi/dvi cable plugged to phone via small converter included with phone in the box.
>Preferably bluetooth mouse/keyboard with touchpad could be also included as a bundle with phone itself

there's a 24" and 30" bundle that comes with all the above plus a monitor.

>there is bundle
Nice. How does price looks in comparsion to standard phone in terms of value?

>monitor in bundle
bad idea, almost everyone has monitor/tv,
just adapter should be enough + price would look more resonable

>How does price looks
I'm out of touch with smartphone industry, serious question.

Many companies have tried this shit in the past. They all failed. Sure, this seems cool and will probably receive some decent feedback, but this will fail too, and everyone will forget about it just a few years later.

>It needs to be standard hdmi/dvi cable
Oh boy can't wait for a phone with a fucking DVI-D port

I've wanted something like this for a long time: all my important data stored on a practical portable device that can connect to other form factors to meet different needs. Slot into a laptop like a disc drive when I need to work on the go, slot into a dock on my desktop for working on a big monitor, slot into my car to play music and use GPS, etc.

I don't know if Purism can pull it off but hell, they're basically the only ones trying and I appreciate their dedication to free software. That being said their products are too expensive for me to afford, even if they seem high quality. Going to be rocking this t420 for awhile yet.

Probably. It's way overpriced and they're trying to create something that can't be done (i.e. a botnet free phone)

Honestly all they need to do is make a phone with
>headphone jack
>removable battery
>good specs
>linux
>affordable

That's it.

The Purism phone has a physically separate baseband. No backdoor.

fuck this shit, I want a smartphone with an expandable screen and loads of ports

It can help inrease adoption rate.
Are you aware that some people don't replace monitors every 3 years?

btw it would be connected via adapter anyway lets say from USB-C to HDMI + DVI

It make sense for me

DONGLE!!!

>gtk

Eww. They should use Qt. Fuck GTK and fuck Gnome. PostmarketOS ftw.

gtk is c
qt is fucking c++ the abomination of languages

qtk only needs more refinement

I know, but its like libreboot vs coreboot, how many people are actually out there using a T400, and only a T400 as their main computer? People that are less than 100% 'tism settle for Coreboot or a non free firmware because while they know they shouldn't they make the deal with the devil

What are the hardware specs?

I'm pretty sure they're using an i.MX of some kind. I think they said it was chosen because they had to find a board that would allow users to boot and install whatever they wanted rather than being locked down droidshit.