Vim thread

Vim thread. Share tips, get in flame wars with Emacs users.

What's your completion setup look like? I always went with vanilla completion but I recently enabled deoplete + neco-syntax + ALE just to try it out. Seems to work well out of the box.

Attached: vim.sh.png (650x650, 29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

softwareengineering.stackexchange.com/questions/19783/i-use-an-ide-eclipse-to-develop-software-why-should-i-switch-to-vim-or-emacs
github.com/Valloric/ycmd
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>he doesn't use sam

Neither does anyone else

And now you know what everyone thinks about Vim.

25.4% of Stack Overflow users use Vim.

>25.4% of Stack Overflow users use Vim.
They're all asking how to exit it

Vim and Emacs aren't Arch Linux, people do use them in the real world.

>Jow Forums represents the real world

Go get a job and see how your coworkers program... everyone is using Eclipse, Microsoft Visual Studio, Sublime, Atom, etc. The only person who uses Emacs or Vim is that autistic neckbeard with no social skills who brings up his configuration files into every conversation no matter the subject, and tries to impress the females by his hard to use setup, while everyone just sees him as that unproductive mentally challenged guy who's horribly insecure about his own programming skills and needs to demonstrate his mastery over obscure software as a form of validation.

I have seen quite a few people use Arch as a development environment at their job. I don't think there's a better distro that is rolling release, has a protective experimental stage for packages, has both source and binary packages, and have such great community support for a wide range of technical issues. Whenever there is an obscure bug or dependency, Arch users in my experience are usually the first people to get around it and start working again.

Speak for yourself, the Emacs users I knew were great guys. They played sports and had good looking wives and were fun to be around. Maybe it's out of the ordinary, but I knew two of them.

I don't use (neo)vim as my main text editor anymore, so I got rid of most of the extension bloat to make it load faster. The few extensions I do still have however are autoclose, surround, and a colorscheme

Is vim worth learning? I've seen many talk about it on the internet but never seen anyone in real life who uses it.

ha. funny

After Learning Vim ans setting up the language server I need I can't imagine anyone who non ironically uses Vscode. Like Atom I'd get since it can propagate keybindings and you can modify UI. But fuxjing vscode? The only thing that vscode had going for it were the language servers but now all editors implement the protocol meaning you are a brainlet if you still use vscode.

Yes, all the editing I do I try to do on vim, I just like verbose navigation and commands, whenever I try to use a regular text editor I always miss the way it works, if you're not autistic use the vi plugins on your favorite text editor. Try it it worth it, setting the speed and productive meme aside its legit usefull. Just check what every key does and mess around with it.

emacs was here, you guys suck

Attached: 4c6ad1de920adc3c69c2d76fb1985c6a.png (1024x1024, 718K)

Yes, you really can do a lot with it. It's a lot like learning regex.

Because you need a reason to use it. If you open up Vscode and are happy with the defaults you should stick with it but you shouldn't be surprised why you can't grow as a developer.

IMO try Vim, not a plugin. See if you like lists. I can't live with other Vim implementations because they're not built with lists in mind.

Try vimtutor which ships with vim and will teach you the basics in 10 minutes

Does any non-LISPer here use an auto-pair plugin. Like for brackets or quotes? I can't decide if I should use one.

I don't use any auto-pair, I find the Vim model of editing text works best when it's not guessing what you want to do next. Highlighting, linting, and sometimes % tell me when I've closed everything.

>What's your completion setup look like?
company-irony, when I wanted to get into completion I realized Vim wasnt up to the task.

why is vim better than nano? Thats currently what im comfortable with rn.

It's minimalistic and adheres to the UNIX philosophy. That's about the only reasoning you need to hear before switching to it.

Switching over from nano might make sense when working in a CLI, but how is it more efficient in terms of bigger editors like Visual Studios for example?

on a rebbit thread they said full IDEs are better for larger projects because it automates the file structure and shit. the big TL;DR on vim is that it's useful for editing files on remote servers via putty, not necessarily better than using an IDE.

friendly reminder that you are on Jow Forums.
the place best known for
>installing linux on VMs
>ricing them to post SS on desktop threads
>switch back to windows whenever they need to actually get shit done
>pretend to use vim/emacs for actual programming
>but behind the scenes just use visual studio/eclipse/code blocks

here's what actual programmers say about Vim/Emacs: they are useful only when manually editing pre existing files in a remote loonix server. Thats it. Use IDE for actual programming.

softwareengineering.stackexchange.com/questions/19783/i-use-an-ide-eclipse-to-develop-software-why-should-i-switch-to-vim-or-emacs

Attached: 1556550386378.gif (200x200, 948K)

How do I male it less autistic with GUI to look at other files without using shitty electron GUI.
I just want the ability to open header file will in a CPP file.

I started using Kakoune recently, and I honestly prefer it.

wd over dw just makes a lot of sense

the editor on his screen is emacs

Attached: JeffDean-google-1024x724.jpg (1024x724, 164K)

Reminder that if you have more than 5 plugins installed on Vim, you're a wimp.

no

Projection - The post.

My hands started hurting after using the mouse a lot in an IDE so I switched to vim and now my hand doesn't hurt. I don't know if it is any better or worse but vim never slows down and I could never really figure out how to do anything in an IDE other than type and click the build button or go into the debugger and set breakpoints anyways.

same but for Vim users. also they are the best programmers and unironic hackers/crackers i know

you're right except the productivity thing, pajeet. people are always impressed when i show them my vim skills. especially system admin types. their jobs involve more systemic manipulation of text than programmers. Most people don't even realize what emacs is so they're usually less impressed with that. eclipse, VS, intellij, atom, and the like aren't fair comparisons to vim since they're development environments custom built to a language from the ground up.

I really wish more dev environments had a headless mode and you can use any editor you want. This is honestly the most clever thing i've seen in a while:
github.com/Valloric/ycmd

This will never have wide adoption because things like VS and intelij need branding and that involves visuals. Docker based DEs are becoming more common so maybe that will push us more towards isolating builds, workflows, and intellisense from the actual code.

>I really wish more dev environments had a headless mode
I really wish more programming languages provided a dev environment.
Common Lisp is the only one where I've compiled functions into running applications, read its documentation and clicked around a debugger and an inspector to repair and resume a crashed program, while the client (running in emacs) keeps track of symbol definitions allowing me to jump around, and marks compiler errors in my text buffers.

A client-server approach is absolutely the right way to develop in, but the server should be the language itself.

I wanted to play vimgolf but the site seems to allow only signing in via twitter. Fuck that.

>>> 70764618

> I really wish more dev environments had a headless mode and you can use any editor you want. This is honestly the most clever thing i've seen in a while:
github.com/Valloric/ycmd

What's the point of ycmd since vim has build-in omni-complete ?

I use Neovim and I am under the assumption that you might as well use Neovim as opposed to Vim. Not sure why, but just think so and whatever I think is right so fuck a nigger that disagrees.

Attached: download.png (280x280, 8K)