Do you dumpster dive, Jow Forums?

Do you dumpster dive, Jow Forums?

Attached: WP_000371.jpg (2592x1944, 597K)

No? Why would you dig through garbage for broken items that you could pick up new for just a couple of bucks?

Not really, mostly about thrifting and snatching up shit from electronic recycling

I meant exactly this, recyclers, and CRT TV on the side of the road. Not dumpster with semi-rotten shit.
I'm cheap. Actually, I don't even need 4 PSU for laptop...

>I'm cheap
You're wasting a lot of time picking through junk for items you don't need, and that time could instead be spent making money. If you were actually cheap, you'd be spending that time making money and then using a fraction of that money to buy the items you need.

>f you were actually cheap, you'd be spending that time making money and then using a fraction of that money to buy the items you need.
That is exactly what I do.
You spend 5 minutes on picking and testing, and get $5. That is $60/hr

>You spend 5 minutes on picking and testing
You definitely don't travel to a dump, pick through it for an item, test it, and sell it in 5 minutes.

I see it as a hobby, a lot of the things I find aren't exactly things that are easy to find or extremely expensive otherwise.

I have this recycling bin in my uni.
Every time I pass it, I look through the pile really fast (300 ms), and if something catches my eyes, I spend extra minute or two for getting it.
Checking power supplies is easy, connect to wall, cut cable, measure voltage. If there is voltage, I repair plug (80% failures here) or wire (20% time consuming actually).
If shit gives zero volts, it goes back, since I have no time to fuck around with blown smps ICs.

Unlike chink supplies, most of them are OEM, which means they won't explode or anything.

those OEM supplies are great with
DC-DC 12 amp chink buck converters

i use them to power my LED strips , so far so good , while i have had chink power supplies shit the bed drawing much less amps , supernight supplies are shit

i use old dell supplies and use the buck converter with them to dial it down to 12v for my strips , bed , cabinets TV

also good for powering R pi's

buck converters are like $3 or just under

totally worth $3 for a reliable power supply ,and that is also adjustable

I want to get chink DC-DC, but I always forget to order one.

>day off from work
>check out Goodwill stores for fun
>find cool/unusual/rare stuff
>find stuff worth money on eBay
>sell latter
>cool/unusual/rare stuff effectively becomes free

I buy stuff from thrift stores. Mostly speakers. I like these kind of keyboards with the media controls. It's cool to find old stuff that is basically new. Stuff that was probably sitting in a school or library for years not being used. These Logitech speakers came in the original box for $5.00

You can also find a lot of really important cables at thrift stores. For audio, power, USB, VGA, everything. I have a box full of cables. If you buy stuff like that new it's like 10 dollars for a 3.5mm audio extension, but 1 dollar at a thrift store.

Attached: 1550753559159.jpg (3264x2448, 2.78M)

People drop off old computers in the garbage room of my condo. I picked up a socket 478 p4 and an acer aspire one atom netbook from there. Nothing wrong with either. The netbook wouldn't browse the internet because the clock was set to a few years back. It's pretty useless to run anything other than windows xp but the form factor is great.
And if I'm driving through a neighborhood and see a computer on the curb I'll always grab it. I can always fix it up and load on a copy of windows 10 to sell, but I also get a kick out of scanning the hard drives for anything scandalous.

Beyond that I mostly thrift. All my peripherals come from goodwill. I've gotten 5 mechanical keyboards of various eras along with some brand name mice, lots of 2.5" sata drives for some reason. Also every laptop I've owned since 2010 has come from goodwill. Worse case the screen is broken and can be replaced for $30-50. I lucked out with my current laptop which was a perfectly fine core i7 hp elitebook which only had a couple of melted keys.

I did have a great score last weeked on craigslist. Some guy giving away an hp proliant ml350 dual xeon machine, only missing the hard drives. This sexy monolith is going to be my main machine.

Attached: download.jpg (600x600, 59K)

I want to, but I haven't learned the trash day schedules yet nor do I know how, I'm learning where the rich neighborhoods are, and figuring out when places I do know throw their trash and where.

Never had too much luck browsing thrift stores where I live, at most got me a 500GB External HDD that was never used for $2.50, a Vizio soundbar I use for my desktop and a Razer Chroma 13 with a bust C for $15 each, otherwise not too much luck.

no but taking old computers and fixing them up sounds fun

I used to when it was profitable and worthwhile. Now? Meh. I can make a hell of a lot more powerful current PCs for a fraction of the price. In the end for $300 in parts with base I can run circles around a $1200 current gaming PC. That is not my goal honestly. I like hooking up friends and family with business grade recycled laptops with updated and cleaned up gear for 1/4th the price they would have paid for consumer shit with no where close to the life of the older but updated unit lasting.

It's mandatory to dump electronics to e-recycling, here. In practice, most of electronics and home appliances stores offer to take your old dishwasher or fridge away, when they deliver a new one. IT stuff drops in value very slowly.

Attached: poland.jpg (1280x720, 96K)

yea and I got my 1920x1200 monitor when doing it. The problem is I can't find a good spot to dive anymore.

Yeah. Last find was some hp laptop with dead gpu, works ok on internal graphics, 4gb ram, 640gb hdd.