"want a NAS...

>"want a NAS? forget about those commercial nas! just build your own! even an old ivy bridge i3 will be powerful enough for most tasks!"
>look up ivy bridge cpus and lga1155 motherboards
>barren wasteland, barely anything on ebay where i live
How are you supposed to build a NAS with old PC parts when it's so hard to buy said old parts?

Attached: 1406054844867.png (383x385, 45K)

Just get low end ryzen

>literally building your own rather than buying an off lease tower server for pennies on the dollar
Come on man. Dell T110 or TS430

Attached: 1554721375960.jpg (606x696, 57K)

I'm pretty sure what they're saying is that you can easily dumpster dive for the components, not to buy them new.
And if you are buying new then you can go for cheap embedded solutions instead, rather than socketed designs. A NAS doesn't need much in the way of CPU performance unless you run one of those bloated NAS software distributions.

if you want cheap preowned parts, look for somebody trying to sell a bulk of computers on craigslist. usually there is some boomer who has been given their workplace's computers because they're considered old, but they're usually fit for small jobs. you'll be sure to find an optiplex with an i3 or i5 in there somewhere.

You must be new at this. Okay so go to newegg, amazon, etc. Look up desktops by lower price. Get a used business line desktop (1155 is gen 2-3 cpus). I highly suggest 3rd generation i3/i5 or better. Now if you are planning to use RAID then you need to buy a card or your software raid which is scary as shit. Next up you need a way to swap out bad drives easily (see pic). 2.5 drives use less power than their 3.5 counterparts. Plan for that as well. A 300 watt power supply can manage 8 2.5 drives using sata power splitters.

Attached: Icy dock 8 bay.png (1370x599, 254K)

This. I am running a Dell T110 as my home server. Still totally fucking capable of everything I throw at it.

>no easily accessible drive cage

I made a nas out of a shitty optiplex with a core 2 duo, you should be fine diving for some parts

Not necessary for most people.
If you want to hot swap your drives, pick another option, otherwise you only need to access them when there is a failure or when doing an upgrade, either of which should be uncommon.

you don't build from scratch with parts that old. go get someone's old computer they're throwing out or selling. check craig's list

Just get a $100 chinkbox from aliexpress if you're going to use one or two drives.
5W draw at max load (so never) and passive cooling.

Buy used corporate Dell NX or HP Storeasy, replace all HDDs

For most tasks, even an ARM SBC or J5005 is powerful enough.

If your drive count or processing needs surpass what's easily feasible on these, there are still 200GE and low end Ryzen and stuff.

It's no problem to build a NAS box, even if you can't easily get your hands on the very best chips.

Typically a terrible idea because most of these stopped being used because they're consuming too much power (and causing too much cost with that) for what they do.

Unless you're not using your NAS 24/7 but only WOL it, it'll probably be the same for you.

Bro, just buy a Synology or a QNAP. You get Raid 5 support out of the box, whereas for a custom NAS you have to buy a dodgy raid controller.

If you want cheap N54l.
If you want better a powerfull CPU get a 8-12 core opteron.

If you want actual fucking usable NAS where it's basically "Plug And Play" get a synology box.

> whereas for a custom NAS you have to buy a dodgy raid controller
No, you just use the same Linux md/dm RAID with the one mdadm command it takes to create the array?

Yea, it won't chunk it up into 500GB bits like SHR does, but it's otherwise basically the same thing.

Those devices just run *nix and usually mdadm like says to build software RAID arrays.

RAID 5 is trash though, RAID10 is far better for home use

this
i run my NAS on a literal pentium 3

Why is software RAID scary?

just buy an R710 faggot

Why is USA anons could get used computer parts so easily and cheap? In my country the only trash you find will be a literal plastic/organic waste and used computer still have high markup.

Just get a Ryzen 2200g, cheapest 2 x 4GB DDR4 kit you can find and a wifi B450 mobo and you're set. Should be able to do it under 200. Throw in a case, a 450W PSU, a 250GB SSD and a 14TB HDD - should bring you to 600-700 and last for ages.

Ausfag user here, ordering from the Chinese used market generally gets me prices similar to US used or 10% higher if my own used market doesn't match (and it rarely does).

>and a wifi B450 mobo
Idiot.

Why does Jow Forums keep recommending old used PCs as a NAS solution when almost all of them have 4 or less SATA ports?

Because they don't - even my oldest fucking socket 775 box
>that my grandma poses as the flirtatious "Desirée" to supplement her pension off the backs of loser anons like you
has six SATA?

They like loud, innefficient machines that use lots of their mums energy supply

Since you can just hang a bunch of spinning rust off a USB 3 hub and not hit a bottleneck unless you are writing to 7 at once.

Just buy a used HP Elite 8200 Desktop.

Because Cheap.
Also because you can grab fucking expansion cards a pound a penny.

Since you most likely have a few laying around from your old builds if you haven't given them to relatives or friends. Otherwise they're the same price as a SBC but have better expansion options.