Is privacy online a meme?

I used to exclusively use chromium as my web browser but got wary of google's data collecting habits. I ended up switching to Gnu IceCat but browsing the web with a script blocker on all the time is a fucking pain in the ass. Is using chromium really that bad?

Attached: raf,750x1000,075,t,fafafa_ca443f4786.jpg (750x1000, 101K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/
12bytes.org/articles/tech/firefox/firefoxgecko-configuration-guide-for-privacy-and-performance-buffs
12bytes.org/articles/tech/firefox/the-firefox-privacy-guide-for-dummies
github.com/ghacksuserjs/ghacks-user.js/wiki/4.1-Extensions
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

use Firefox and get on with your life

Icecat is firefox just with some FSF approved shit installed already

Well if you don't want Google knowing everything you do, then you get to use a browser that isn't based on Google code. Which pretty much means Firefox. And you get to tweak a bazillion about:config settings, since FF tattles to Google by default, too, e.g. for the "safebrowsing" anti-malware feature. The difference is that FF lets you turn this stuff off and Chrom[e,ium] doesn't.

>Gnu IceCat
lol no
this in fact makes you even more trackable

Tor

Why? It’s just Firefox with some shit installed. Any website just recognizes it as Firefox

I haven't really had a problem with NoScript or uMatrix. It was a pain in the ass for the first month or so, but eventually I got all the websites I visit regularly to work ok. Since then, I don't have to fuck with it very much.

GTFO!

how exactly does icecat differ from firefox? is there actual additional lines of code added or is it just firefox with stuff removed? also source pls

retarded kid.

The only difference is that Icecat has more javascript blockers, like the one plugin called LibreJS, you can configure icecat to work properly but a lot of people don't like to tinker on it as much.
Here is the source if you want to read more about the browser and the differences.

gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/

>gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/
I mean I use it, but I never really looked into the differences of native firefox / icecat, I dont use most of their addons on icecat since it just flat out breaks / makes all web pages annoying.

Is it pretty much the firefox source with stuff added, or firefox with stuff removed (and comes with some addons)?

It has some stuff from Firefox but Icecat removes it like some proprietary stuff, and yes it comes with some extensions. But is up to you if you like them or not, it takes some time to get used to it. I remember that I didn't like it at first but then I started to configure it little by little and started liking it. Plus it has all telemetry removed from the original Firefox releases.

my personal issue is that
>1. it doesnt use the most efficient ways of blocking >> ADB
>2. they dont really have a problem with Google

Honestly just use Chromium, Google don't collect any data about what faggotry shit you look at, it's usually just diagnostic information from the browser, IceCat is just plain Autism

The individual websites you go to are tracking you, if they aren't your ISP most certainly is, so using your little faggot browser won't help you

You know what you guys are probably right. Fuck icecat. I don't think i'm going to use chromium tho. I'm just gonna use regular firefox and disable the telemetry shit

Browser fingerprinting is a thing. Tor is your best option against that. Otherwise you can try to make your fingerprint more generic with a user agent switcher and such. Use Panopticlick to verify your fingerprint until you are satisfied.

There's still not much point desu, you're not going to have any changes in your life on account of some company collecting data about the browser and how it's working

Been using Icecat as my main browser for some time. It's fine, but I still have to fall back to Firefox regularly as some websites just won't work. The most annoying thing with Icecat is that the copy/paste function doesn't work a lot of times, which is fucking irritating

Idk maybe I just want to use google shit less

Only use Google shit less because it's shit and there are better alternatives, once you fall into the "muh privacy" meme you loose a lot of shit and don't really gain anything

ISP sees all non https content as plain text. Use https everywhere and toggle it on. umatrix has a toggle for https only too.
ISP sees domains you connect to unless you use dns over tls. Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 or google.
All websites you connect to see your ip.
All websits can fingerprint your web browser. Both ip and fingerprint is used to track inviduals. Install addon canvasblocker.
All websites can share info to others to track your activities. Ex. give ip to fb so fb can improve their data about you (likes, habits, products).
Google knows your ip addresses if you have something on your device that pings google's servers often.

Best way to stay private is not to give personal info away. Link your purchases to online dbs. Opt out of personalized ads.

Know your alternatives. List all choices and pick the best. Include choices that are not the product such as do you really need it, is this real or marginal/placebo effect, another way to achieve same goal, which is efficient, old still works.
Beware marketing. Worst products are pushed to consumers. Products that make companies most money. Companies that advertise the most make the most profit from their products. Only reason is that people dont know about the competing underdog. Most of the time you are forced to pick the least rotten product. Use saved money to help competition or increase visibility of better choices in the long run.

well isn't it inherently more private to opt into using programs that aren't sending information to the world's biggest data collection company

You can change useragent in about:config (unless you use tor browser). You can also use ungoogled-chromium if you have no problems with browser itself. Check amiunique.org to see what gives you away. Use uMatrix, uBlock origin and smart HTTPS (HTTPS everywhere uses list that it has to update)

Perfect and absolute privacy online would be the meme here. Your best bet is simply doing what you can before browsing becomes unbearably difficult. Use Firefox with uBlock Origin on medium mode and Decentraleyes. Make sure to utilize Firefox's containers with an addon like Temporary containers, or at least utilize Site bleacher to automatically clean your browser from most tracking stuff. Some good reads are 12bytes.org/articles/tech/firefox/firefoxgecko-configuration-guide-for-privacy-and-performance-buffs
12bytes.org/articles/tech/firefox/the-firefox-privacy-guide-for-dummies
github.com/ghacksuserjs/ghacks-user.js/wiki/4.1-Extensions but do note that the premade user.js files usually hinder browsing quite a bit, so you might be interested in making your own minimal one.