Leaving Google

How do I completely leave Google? Search, Gmail, YouTube, etc. as much as I can? I think YouTube will be the hardest, but so much of my life is tied up in Google in some way or other. Have any of you left them?

Attached: image.jpg (1400x1400, 422K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nomoregoogle.com/
restoreprivacy.com/google-alternatives/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

duckduckgo
self hosted webmail
Youtube is the hard one since a lot of shit there isn't hosted elsewhere, but none of it is really critical (All news and information can be gathered elsewhere easier). Entertainment you can find elsewhere as well.

The only feature I couldn't give up is Google Maps. Maybe YouTube too but it's not really a big deal. Everything else is replaceable.

firefox, midori for browser
duckduckgo, yandex for seaerch
protonmail, cockmail for email
i started watching videos on nicovideo only to stop using youtube
maps.me for maps
use libre office instead of google docs if you use them
if you to use google account for your schooling, as I do, only log in on school computers
use a script blocker to block all the google shit embeded on other websites

privacytools.io should help you for most things. Youtube is the one service I can't shake, because I usually watch it through my TV. That said, bitchute is an option.

bitchute is god awful
don't listen to this faggot

>Duckduckgo

Good luck replacing these godsends: Drive, Docs and Sheets, Maps, and Assistant.

>Drive
Mega, Dropbox, iCloud, self-hosting
>Docs and Sheets
Word, LibreOffice
>Maps
Apple maps if you’re not poor and can afford an iPhone, Waze

Jow Forums is fucking autistic

>apple maps

>Maps
learn your way around your city you fucking idiot

Just set up ownCloud. Literally the only thing Google has that is difficult to replace is Google Maps unless you have an iPhone then I guess you have Apple Maps but then you've got other problems.

Google owns Waze.

What’s wrong with Apple Maps retard?

>Apple maps if you’re not poor and can afford an iPhone
Or you could just use Duck Duck Go, which uses Apple Maps. Isn't there Bing maps, too?

owncloud, libre office, maps.me

>Drive
Is a piece of shit and fuck all space, go mega or self hosted.
>Docs and Sheets
Libreoffice, have it on a small independent NAS drive which can be accessed from external network requests
>Maps
Maps.me or just write your own basic one to integrate with openstreetmap info
>Assistant
Literally useless, so no need to replace it since you shouldn't be using it

OP here.
One of the things I am most concerned with right now are how many places have my current gmail address, and how I can migrate to a new service while still abandoning Google. I know there are alternative services, but the transition will be hard.

Those greedy fucks. Google literally owns the web/mobile navigation industry outside of iOS don’t they?

Well I guess we’re all fucked on that one. Back to paper maps?

Yeah let me tether a laptop to my phone so I can use DuckDuckGo to navigate

I did it and it was easy half the sites you have it linked you probably dont even use just change the ones that you use all the time and then delete it

Just use literally any app that uses openstreetmap data, dingus.

start off with the following:
search - duckduckgo.com
mail - tutanota.com
youtube - hooktube (and check out their DopeTube extension)

After you've been away from the botnet for some time, you can make different choices that suit your needs better.

What about NextCloud as replacement for many google services? It can be self hosted.

What about emails from important businesses, or government entities?

There's Bing maps

Or you could just use your phone's web browser.

You can typically update your contact information to a new emails on such platforms. I did so when moving away from using gmail and switched everything to my protonmail email.

I gave it up for maps.me on android, works very well

Use invidio.us for as a front end for yt
Youtube-dl might work aswell

Attached: 1556734343889.gif (300x218, 224K)

>duckduck botnet

Attached: 1554173297213.jpg (823x744, 109K)

OsmAnd+ on f-droid is decent

Add them to adblock rules.

Yandex

implying google is less of a botnet

Attached: Gabriel Dropout - 08 (BD 1280x720 x264 AAC).mp4_snapshot_07.06_[2018.06.12_21.49.39].jpg (1280x720, 93K)

ssyoutube?

1drive, office365, bing maps and fuck off, google shill.

Attached: joker1.jpg (1920x1080, 200K)

Are you guys up to shady shit or just very paranoid?

Google is glow in the dark tier shady, that's why it gets the boot.

only using youtube is probably better than not using any google products at all, since it's a loss leader meant to draw you into other products. if you only use it with adblock, you're fucking google essentially

So very paranoid. Not to say that's a bad thing

what else should i use then? is there any better uncensored search engine?

don't use a search engine

> Botnet
Why can't you learn more words, I hate this meme

Google Drive hasn't been good since they started calling it "backup and sync by google"
It's literally aimed at the normies who want to backup holiday pictures of their 6 month old kid off their samsung iphone and kinda fucked over its status as a discreet and reliable cloud service

being this retarded

Just, you know, don't use Google stuff.

>google search engine
just save your fav website in a txt file
use fuckfuckgo
>youtube
yt is just shit there's nothing useful there
>maps
just walk around your city there are cartels and people you can ask for you dick
>drive
buy a fucking hard disk and encrypt it
>gmail
ahahahahah autistici/inventati cock.li
protonmail if you're a fagtard
>docs
libreoffice openoffice how can you be this dumb!?

Now I'll levave Jow Forums too cause its just an hole full of retarded

2gis

What do you mean by "leaving google"? Are you actually logged on to these services when yo use them?

>2019
>stop using technology because big company™ owns everything
>"B-b-but muh botnet" stfu, nobody cares

eh they're using you to collect data which is more valuable than ad revenue but i like to think that my backwards ass taste really isn't doing them any favors

Attached: 1556306121119.jpg (502x454, 55K)

my leave went something like this:
protonmail instead of gmail
qwant/startpage instead of google (because those are EU-based so they actually have privacy standards, unlike duckduckgo which is a US-based honeypot)
ios instead of android
youtube i haven't been able to leave. 90% of the content i consume comes from my youtube subscriptions, so i tried looking for a free-er version of it, and stumbled upon FreeTube, but that was very beta and clunky, so i just made a new youtube account with a disposable fake email

also SyncThing instead of dropbox

Newpipe can solve the YouTube problem. It has an autistic UI/UX, but it mostly works alright.

Qwant for search. servers are hosted in France, so they have a real privacy protection compared to d*ckd*ckgo.

>Search
Duckduckgo, searx
>Mail
cuckli
>youtube
it's hard because not alot of creators but Bitchute is nice

It's less pozzed than google and still has some nice features. There's no perfect alternative

This, I don't use any Google products except Maps. I know there are alternatives, but Maps is so fucking good it's really hard to go elsewhere.

Buy pass first

Just forward all your mail to your new mail service and update your email with your new one as you receive them.

leave the internet. cut off all communications. hide in the Amazon jungles for good.

Amazon is bad too

It's too good

Attached: image.jpg (2048x1024, 1.19M)

>Drive
I don't use remote storage services
>Docs
LibreOffice works good enough for me (though I don't deal with spreadsheets)
>Sheets
can't do anything about it
>Maps
Just don't use it
>Assistant
why do you need it

has shit ass directions

Sure, idiot, because Apple can't use Djoustrika's shortest path algorithm and shit.

Prove it

Lol u mad?

Google maps looks more accurate there

Buy an iPhone.
Use Bing as your default search.
Use iCloud Mail.
YouTube is inescapable. Sorry.
Use Apple Maps.

underrated as fuck

Attached: 1413397931375.jpg (286x286, 38K)

Firefox, Qwant, Qwant maps, Mailfence / ProtonMail
See
>nomoregoogle.com/
>restoreprivacy.com/google-alternatives/

And Newpipe for YouTube

Eh, I dunno if I'd call it paranoid.

Putting on a seat belt when you drive to help prevent catastrophe isn't paranoid, it's just a safer alternative than not. Similarly, spreading your services out to as many different and separate companies as reasonably possible to help prevent catastrophe (Google goes tits up or, more likely, you get blacklisted for wrongthink in that email you sent 8 years ago) isn't paranoid, it's just a safer alternative than not.

The short version is "better safe than sorry".

On that note though, how reliable is protonmail? I really, *really* do not want to deal with an email provider going under and having my life completely fucked up for something stupid like not being able to receive emails.

Well, you bet leave Jow Forums too, since Jow Forums uses google captcha.
Also there's no way you can live without youtube, it's just omnipresent, it's impossible to leave.
You can self-host your own mail or use another provider but 90% of your correspondents will still be @gmail.com
And there's no real alternative to google maps, no OSM is a pos, doesn't even has satellite images much less street view

this

>or, more likely, you get blacklisted for wrongthink in that email you sent 8 years ago
This is why I tell everyone I know to distance themselves from Google as much as possible, at the very least with email. A family friend of mine was booted from Gmail after sending an email with just enough keywords to get law enforcement involved (because he was a government contractor and already been watched pretty closely) and recovering from not having access to your primary email address _at all_ is on the same level as recovering from having your identity stolen. It's a fucking massive pain in the ass and if you're particularly unlucky it could literally ruin your life.

Better safe than sorry is an understatement.

Attached: 1554140643875.jpg (300x240, 20K)

I'm trying to do the same, here's what I've settled on so far
Google | Non-Google
>Android | Lineage OS (without GApps)
>ChromeOS | Linux distro of your choice
>Chrome, Chromium | Firefox, IceCat*, Tor Browser
>Google Search | DuckDuckGo**
>Google Maps | OSMAnd
>Play Store | F-Droid, Yalp Store***
>YouTube | BitChute
>YouTube App | NewPipe
>GMail App | K-9
*Comes with a shitload of annoying extensions, but they can be removed
**DuckDuckGo used to be atrocious but has since gotten a lot better, to the point that I prefer it to Google Search day-to-day
***Yalp Store allows you to download Play Store .apks without a Google account, some apps don't work without Google services however

Attached: 1556728952670.jpg (720x664, 40K)

Attached: 1438222314603.jpg (311x311, 82K)

Hooktube is basically just YouTube now, and I'm not going to tell you the other sites like it because the same thing will just happen to them if they get too popular.

Self hosted webmail doesn't work, you will have your host blacklisted and everything you send will be automatically sen't to trash.

>YouTube
Use invidious

>Bing maps

Underrated.

>img

Attached: jigsaw.jpg (350x211, 45K)

Wow Apple is so incentive.

What's your suggestion?

Bitchute works great, sounds like your issue is PEBKAC

invidious, not hooktube.

I personally don't use a computer except for the one I'm required to to get money at work and I don't own a phone. I have a desktop for emergencies at home but I don't actually use it. Also I 100% recommend this. Life isn't so bad this way at all.

Good job Boomer.

Attached: jawnclaud.gif (250x263, 1.98M)

throw your pc out a window and go run a mile

>How do I completely leave Google? Search, Gmail, YouTube, etc. as much as I can? I think YouTube will be the hardest, but so much of my life is tied up in Google in some way or other. Have any of you left them?

As someone who was a content creator and got fucked by YouTube(who wouldn't give me an answer why I was banned BTW; I think it was because I was using them to archive my unlisted twitch streams), I attempted this last year in spite. Its practically impossible to not use anything google, but for me;
Duckduckgo has replaced my websearch
Protonmail has replaced my email
Lineageos with fdroid has replaced my android stock rom
Mega has replaced my cloud storage sync
Firefox/Tor has replaced my browser
Signal has replaced my messaging and chat

Other alternatives to these are (ff the top if my head):
Web search - yandex, startpage(still feeds google data), Searx
Email - tutanota, other giant companies like Microsoft or yahoo
Cloud sync - Dropbox, box, sync.com, syncthing, nextcloud
Web browser - waterfox, ungoogled chromium
Messaging - tox, riot, wire

I still watch YouTube. There's just no alternative. Dtube, bitchute, vimeo, theyre all laughable.
A lot of content found on youtube is just not in anywhere else and anything that's anywhere else gets reuploaded to youtube. The only way to not help google is to watch it through Tor (yes it supports youtube watching without leaking your IP now) or through hooktube/youtube no cookie.

Hope this info helped. I wish you good fortune on your in google journey user.

Startpage. Better result, actual privacy.

wtf is pic related

If you go with bing, yandex etc they use your data the same.
Google is a default search engine and runs as third party on a lot of websites, even on Jow Forums, it loads with the page unless you block it.

>hooktube
is just embedded yt

What about google running on a lot of websites as third party and it eg googleapis doesn't load the site looks fucked or won't even load.

>2020 - 0.5
>noia-shaming