It's time to settle it once and for all

it's time to settle it once and for all
which is THE one true developer's distro?
ricers not welcome

Attached: ssQ.png (1200x630, 200K)

OSX or Windows

fedora

macos

Ubuntou/Linoox

Not, it's not time for anything. Pick whatever you like best and put on some work. All the ones listed are good distros with lots of documentation.

I've seen Ubuntu and Debian a LOT

Emacs

it's time

Attached: sgi.jpg (300x224, 15K)

Fedora

Why Gentoo of course.
>he doesn't use portage to quickly rebuild and install software on the system
Laughing

RHEL. There is a free version without the support and for developers only on their website too.

>"developer" that installs software on the system
Laughing

Fedora
Developers are the target users for it

Libraries are software you stupid faggot.

This and gentoo
Arch is meme used by redditors

As long as it's not Windows, it doesn't matter.

Pretty much this

fedora, hands down. well supported and no batshit legacy cruft. even torvalds uses it. the working man's distro, animNEETs need not apply

>he installs libraries outside of his development environment
Ahahahahahahahahahahaha

Attached: tut-clear-linux.png (840x370, 33K)

Linux is a development environment nigger.

xubuntu

Switched from xubuntu to arch for fun, I like the idea of building up just what I need instead of cutting off from the top.
Recently the Ubuntu variants have been offering minimal installs, but not Xubuntu through its installer. Xubuntu-minimal can be installed from the ubuntu netboot iso (60-70MB) but that iso lacks at least modern wifi drivers so you're fucked without ethernet.

>the main system is the development environment
DESIGNATED

openSUSE Tumbleweed with KDE.

Should I install Arch?

Attached: 1541866501725.png (741x568, 29K)

Gentoo is. But you'll manage if you pick sonething else, too.

Probably not a bad idea.

Do it in a VM just for kicks. Gentoo too. It's not worth using as a main system.

This, I've had the same install since Fedora 21, rock solid.

fpbp

/thread

depends on who youre developing for

TO D-D-D-D-D-D-D-

D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D

D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D

D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-Debian

Fedora NetInstall

this. don't fall for the meme user

Tbh I see Ubuntu usually.

macOS, it's what everyone else uses right?

Fedora of course

LFS with no userspace packages except ones that you yourself created

wasn't this an answer on stack overflow lmao

Fedora and Ubuntu,mainly. I've seen some evidence of Arch being used by devs who want the latest features though. Theoretically, you could use the LTS kernel in Arch if you wanted the same stability as the other distros. It's really all the same deal,just a little more work in some distros.

Whatever your prod server is running.

It's stage 4 to a 6-stage process of installing an os that doesn't exist yet. You've heard of gentoo stage 3, this is [name you made up] stage 4.

Stage 1: an existing Linux distro with some custom utilities.

Stage 2: an existing Linux distro with some custom utilities, including a complete custom toolchain.

Stage 3: an existing Linux distro rebuilt from source using your fully bootstrapped custom toolchain instead of the GNU toolchain.

Stage 4: an existing Linux distro rebuilt from source with your custom toolchain, and the entire userland replaced with your own software built with that toolchain. No longer the originally used Linux distro by any metric except the kernel config.

Stage 5: your custom non-GNU distro with a custom non-Linux kernel written from scratch to be Linux-compatible so that your userland will work with it. Pretty much just Linux paraphrased, original code but not original execution flow. This is no longer even a Linux distro. It's just a distro.

Stage 6: your custom Linux-compatible non-GNU non-Linux distro with both the userland and the kernel migrated away from the Linux API in lockstep, and kernel features added, removed, or changed to your liking now that you're not confined to the exact functionality of Linux proper. At this point, you have your own completely unique OS.

puppy linux

This is the only choice if you care about performance.

>guix enters the chat

Attached: guix.png (462x287, 13K)

gentoo is more performant

Fedora Silverblue 30 is good. Easily the most polished distro available right now.

>...and is shown the door.

based Intel

It's not polished. Some software doesn't work such as Dejavu backups and I don't think it includes flatpaks by default yet. It's 100 times better than it was in version 29 so I can imagine it will be polished by Fedora 31. It's still good enough for me at its current state.

Fedora or RHEL with a developer's license

but mostly Fedora

A
FUCKING
VAGINA

Reproducible builds baby!
Guix is the future of everything.

It's not though.

Yeah but fedora and gentoo are just Jow Forums memes, and this board is more autistic than reddit

Clear Linux is underrated. It gets updated as frequently as Fedora but it's faster, more modular, and more secure.

it is tho
source-based distros inherently are the most performant class of distro

I personally prefer Linux, but like it or not we use Windows at work, and i keep a dual boot just in case. Its easier for me not to spread the workflow out across different platforms.

Arch if you're not a pajeet who values their time.

Windows.

*blocks your path*

Attached: nixos-logo-only-hires.png (1183x1024, 88K)

>don't think it includes flatpaks by default
It includes Fedora's own flatpak repo

Excuse me I would like to interject for a moment. What you are referring to as Linux is actually a kernel. The development environment is GNU software running on the Linux kernel.

>implying you dont like vaginas
ow wait

>picking any distro that doesn't have AUR
Why do people do this to themselves?