Why do modern software products never give detailed error messages?

Why do modern software products never give detailed error messages?

Attached: the_absolute_state.png (537x287, 15K)

Because from years of experience they've come to the conclusion that the unwashed masses don't know what to do with them.

because it's cute and cheeky to just say "somfing went fucksy wucksy :3" and assume that the person dealing with the problem has 0 technological experience

^ not true theyre just fucking lazy and suck

Cant you just look at like the html and see the error code anyway?

it's most likely in a log somewhere

I was going to call you a brainlet for calling software code "the HTML." Then I thought about it for a minute, and, to my horror, I realized you're probably right. I absolutely would not be surprised if the fucking Windows NT kernel has fucking HTML in it at this point. God I hate the direction software is going in.

because you can check the event log dummy. most normies aren't technically proficient enough to do anything with some error message jargon.

>most normies aren't technically proficient enough to use a search engine
*vomits*

how did it get so bad
where did it all go wrong

It would just confuse the customers

every update or release
>changelog
>bug fixes and optimizations

Thanks discord.

>because you can check the event log dummy
Not always, some errors make impossible to write on the harddrive so all info you get is the one printed to the screen

because you won't get it fixed, ever

because you're nigger-cattle

journalctl -e

I just love hunting around for logs all over the god damn place

Yup.

Attached: Screenshot_20190502-142256.png (1080x1920, 117K)

Because MUH MINIMALISM

Real minimalism would be just
>Error AJEUFHIE183789

i guess it's better than releasing exploit fixes with the description "improved user experience" like sony and nintendo (used to) do

>user what does this say
>user what do i do here
don't underestimate how fucking retarded normies are, if you actually spent 20 minutes talking with anyone who doesn't know shit you'd know.
seriously, some niggers were too retarded to follow instructions and kept asking to dumb it or do it yourself.

This is probably close to the truth.

You can still dig info out from a log file or something

If you view software as "products" that explains why you end up with pajeetware that doesn't have proper error messages.

They scare average users.

Of course I don't view ALL software as products. But if you DON'T view Windows, Mac OS, Internet browsers, and -- I can confidently say -- pretty much every "oopsy woopsy, something went wrong" software as "products," you're giving the developers way too much credit.

Same reason why you might hurt yourself repairing your iphone!

Because fuck your right to repair that's why.

> encounter random crash
> No error message
> It's impossible to reproduce but happens a few times a week
> Logging and debugging is disabled unless you launch with special flags or recompile
> Debug mode makes everything unusable
> Decide to live with and accept random crashes

Attached: 1555079629767.jpg (347x102, 6K)

>launch with special flags
>accept everything being unusable for that single use
>keep it running and wait for it to crash
>check the logs and see what happened
>fix problem
>most likely never have to run with special flags again

b-but you don't u-understand user has to play his vidya he can't possibly deal with a single 5-hour session being wasted l-looking for critical errors!

Giving normalfags easy access to computers was a mistake. The reason is because the majority is too retarded to understand any even slightly helpful error message.

Too many things can go wrong. You could show the lower level information generated by the error itself but that scares most users. It's a bazillion times faster and cheaper to just put a catch-all error display/message than to put nice messages up for every conceivable thing that could go wrong.

Windows error messages are a bunch of hexadecimal numbers and files (probably) related with the error. This why Microsoft want hide all those stuff

Attached: Windows_NT_BSOD_at_GVA_baggage_claim,_1999-10-03.jpg (1382x921, 209K)

So what? It scares people or something?

>that pic
So this is peak web dev.

because then you actually have some idea of what's causing the problem in the first place though pic-related happened to me out of the blue after just booting up my laptop about a year back

Attached: Windows Error.png (498x211, 25K)

the vast majority of users don't give a shit. Why would microsoft put what's effectively gibberish on the screen that, for 98% of users, serves only to confuse and frustrate? If you're keen enough to want that information, you're probably tooling around with linux anyway.

yes