Boomer tech thread

ITT: We reminisce about tech from the good ol days

Back in my day people used to buy a 64 GiB SSD just to install their OS on, and a quadcore was considered a high-end part.

Attached: 1530976301334.png (633x640, 253K)

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20120205023129/http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/bios/size.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=ZGb7sC4mpk0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Attached: 1530476543907.webm (1920x1080, 265K)

The boomer is actually more likely to afford now a better machine than the /v/ermin though.

Written on my Threadripper.

Attached: b2e694cc.gif (640x360, 3.61M)

>announcing it
see you in 3 days

hmmmm it appears that my thread has failed

What should I do to make it better next time? I'm willing to put in hours of work per day to be an expert 4channeler

Attached: FovChip1.jpg (3840x1646, 1.97M)

>Back in the day
>SSD
I know boomer is a fucking meme, but since when did boomer include 15-20 year olds?

This.

This thread is fucking cancer.

Summer's here boys. This board has gone to such shit

>What should I do to make it better next time? I'm willing to put in hours of work per day to be an expert 4channeler
Don't use wojak and pepe, ever.
Jow Forums has a natural immunity, regular posters autohide threads with those in the OP image

Attached: 1556794488921.jpg (1024x922, 77K)

but pepe and wojak are classic memes loved by all and hated by none

>boomer
>sata devices, letalone SSD's
nigger in the end of my day you used a tiny SATA hard drive (7200rpm) as your boot and had a secondary IDE drive for mass storage. shut the fuck up cunt.
i am a 20 year old shameless zoomer who grew up with quake by the way, so that says a lot about how fucking zoomer you are fucking idiot thinking SSD's letalone any device using SATA is boomer-tier.
you are not worthy.

Attached: out_2.webm (703x960, 926K)

>SATA
Back in my day it was the 528MB IDE barrier that mattered. Some drives (up to 1 gig large) could be jumpered to emulate two drives smaller than the limit.

Attached: boomernene.png (400x400, 184K)

> 20yo
oh my fucking sides. you're just a little baby! awwww. how adorable.
> be me
> an ancient boomer

Attached: 1545826913242.png (768x544, 7K)

>528MB IDE barrier
wait is this storage? what year was this?
So you couldnt use a drive larger than 528MB? uhm im pretty sure i had a 40GB IDE drive when XP was my main in 2009 (my family was poor, used winME until 2007, dad had a vista bought on clearance from 2007 to 2009 but it died so we went XP on pentium), one thing i know for sure is that i am confused though, im sure i remember backing up a family friend's 80GB IDE not long ago too.

jesus fucking christ. you really are a dumb zoomer. you should look up what sizes of hard drives were available to us ancient boomers during the 80s and early 90s.

Dude hard disks were expensive as fuck back then. You connected them with long ass scsi ribbons and they were less than a GB in size, usually a few 100MB in the early 90's.

They also got super fucking hot so you didn't put them in your case and they had HUEG green LED's on the front and they made horrible grinding noises like marbles rolling down a slide.

i might be a zoomer, but i have more boomer computer experience than most of my peers, mate. my childhood:
>MS-DOS
>WinME
>WinXP
>bucketloads of DOS shareware i can barely remember
>Doom
>Quake
>that mario clone for MS-DOS that is actually pretty well made
>Tony hawks pro skater 2
>GTA 3
>Halo CE
>morrowind
>celeron + voodoo in the ME tower
>pentium4 in the XP tower, nvid gpu was in the motherboard
>still using my dad's Microsoft intellimouse optical which was probably the first mouse i had the blessing of using

While you're still a zoomer, at least you had a taste of the good stuff.

*crack* *siiiip*

Yip, they don't make graphics cards and CGI waifu prints like that anymore. Back when graphics card performance doubled on an annual basis.

Attached: 11820535_980504258637520_1378923441_n.jpg (1080x715, 103K)

Read up dude
web.archive.org/web/20120205023129/http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/bios/size.htm
There was several size barriers for IDE drives over the years that had to be overcome

Back in the day as in 2008/09

yeah they eat up weebshit avatarfags instead

>be gaming fag in early 2007
>finally get an 8800
>bitgamer is still good
take me back

rip flash

>8800 dies
nothing personnel

>ask neighbor for old pc
>get 386sx, 200 mb ata33 hdd, 16mb ram
>have to daisy-chain hdd with cd-rom to copy files over
>install win95 /w office 95 and RA1
i clicked every-single-fucking option that was available in every program i ran

Yep, I remember when Barrens chat was based.

Attached: AMD Athlon XP.jpg (700x560, 92K)

>tfw will never browse shitty rage comics with my shitty athlon
>tfw still remember the time frens and I installed ddwrt for the first time
>tfw mined bitcoins with old 9800GT wondering what the point was
honestly, just not having a smartphone and all of my friends and I just shooting the shit together with nothing to do was the best. now we just resign to our devices...

>AIRGA
Wasn't that one of the bum steppings? I think that was a Tbred A, famous along with AROIA or something for running hot, needing a bunch of voltage, and not giving you much extra clock speed for your trouble.

Now the AIUHB Tbred Bs and AQXEA Bartons, (*sip*) those were top Socket A Athlons.

>SSD
>boomer
Imagine being this retarded
youtube.com/watch?v=ZGb7sC4mpk0

>crack
>pssssssh
>siiiiiiip
>Aaahhh
>SCSI, now THAT was an interface

Nah, a right pain it was, what with the device IDs and termination and the fact that some things didn't like sharing the SCSI bus with other things for who the hell knows why. In addition to being expensive. Also the old-model 50-pin cables were even wider and more seat-belty than the already obnoxious 40-pin ATA cables.

It was only worth putting up with it over ATA if you needed a big pile of drives. Or if you were an intrepid early adopter of Linux in like 1995, when there were still compatibility issues with some ATA controllers.

Athlon 64 with a 32 bit OS master race reporting in.

>zoomers calling themelves boomers
>actual boomers getting annoyed
*crack*

*crack*
*sip*
Ya'll remember when 4gigs of ram seemed like something you'd never hit?

>alright, time to connect to the internet...

Attached: trump04b.gif (214x129, 2K)

>Back when graphics card performance doubled on an annual basis.
This is actually what I miss the most about tech when I was young. My first computer was a IBM XT at 4.77 MHz, not GHZ. It had a 20 MB harddrive. Later I got the 286 and it was fast. Then the 386 which was about twice as fast as the 286. RAM and HDD sizes increased pretty rapidly too and on the graphics side there was a notable difference between CGA, EGA and then VGA.

Now we've had Intel 14nm CPUs since 2014. That's give years of basically minor improvements per new "generation" (=mostly the same) of CPUs. I'm not exactly excited when some new CPU comes out.

Had a similar experience myself.
My family was not so wasteful so no upgrades for me for a while.
Come to think of it only reason we upgraded our win 98 machine back in 2010 was because of some driving software(god that was 9 years ago)

that was only fucking..
wait, that was 10 years ago already
HOW OLD AM I?

much older than that
speaking of XP, it didn't support >127GB disks (LBA48) in RTM

My server still runs off a 16GB Sandisk SSD from 2010

Most boomer thing ever is amiga, and its Powerpc based versions

Jesus you sound like a real faggot

KILL YOURSELF FAGGOT

shut the fuck up idiot that boomer is based. and he's right, CPU's and GPU's have been stuck at the same performance levels for many years now. The tech is not getting better anymore. It's all the same shit repackaged with fancy 'ray tracing' bullshit