Gnome 3.32 is really good, probably among the best UX available. Why does it get so much hate...

Gnome 3.32 is really good, probably among the best UX available. Why does it get so much hate, is it because it lets you get work done unlike archfags ricing their shitty wms?

Attached: fractional-scaling-940x529.png (940x529, 320K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/nautilus/commit/3a22ed5b8e3bbc1c59ff3069ee79755168754916
gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/nautilus/issues/244
blogs.gnome.org/aday/2017/08/31/status-icons-and-gnome/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

ur gay

/thread

yes that's the exact reason that konqifags and archfags hide.
Also the "muh devs are bad" thing, while still being on Jow Forums....

No u

Based

bandwagon hate

>Why does it get so much hate
It doesn't focus on being lightweight or customizable and the developers are often full of themselves. But even if that wouldn't be the case, Jow Forums hates everything that is popular.

>oh, a program uses tray icons that are supported on every desktop and os under the sun
>better install a third party javascript extension!
>you want to create an empty file from your FILE MANAGER?
>just touch an empty file to ~/Templates first bruh
>want to execute a binary from the file manager?
>make a script that executes it! that way we can be sure you reeealy mean it
It has so many baffling design decisions that I just get angry when using it.

all these things are true and yet it's still better than kde

Attached: images_2.png (322x952, 44K)

The riced out Wayland compositor tiler I use has better systray support than GNOME 3.

15 years of the best UX and counting.

Attached: 1538484522548.png (742x828, 151K)

>want to execute a binary from the file manager?
I thought there's an option whether you want to open, execute or prompt the user, when opening a binary. Or did they remove it in the meantime?

because it's a shitty imitation of macos, and it's also buggy as fuck

gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/nautilus/commit/3a22ed5b8e3bbc1c59ff3069ee79755168754916
Gnometards are so fucking retarded that the ability to execute binaries directly had to be removed for security.

Attached: 1542162133890.png (552x543, 358K)

gnome is my second favorite DE but 3.32 actually runs worse than 3.30 and that actually performed incredibly well. it's such a massive disappointment. gnome 3 peaked at 3.14

Reminder that the real reason for this was to harm AppImage adoption

Jesus fucking christ.
Why does anyone use that shitshow of a DE?

>A very strange decision. Suppose I just compiled my "Hello world". Now I can not run it from Nautilus? Why?
Anyway if the ultimate goal is isolate all programs from each other, why not automatically run each binary in an isolated environment?
gnome """developer""" response
>That kind of artificial scenario doesn’t help prove anything.

Are they unironically retarded? What the fuck are they doing? It's like they're competing with apple to see who can make the most restrictive and useless toy OS.

Holy shit. Do those retards even use their own DE?

Is there a collage of all the retarded shit the gnome devs have said? Stuff like this and the whole "you have to decide if you want to be a gnome app or an 'xfce' app" fiasco.

>among the best UX available

Attached: peakux.gif (941x528, 151K)

>muh windows experience
fuck off retarded winbabies, who the fuck runs software on GNU/Linux from a fucking file manager.
If it's some serious software, and you're not retarded, you install it with the package manager and then you just run it through the dash, startmenu or whatever.
If it's your hello world, which is CLI, you run it from the terminal emulator anyways, because it outputs to the terminal. If you use an IDE it will open the terminal and run the program for you, or if it's vim you are already running it from the fucking terminal.
Shut the fuck up konqifags that shit this board, stupid fucking wintoddlers.

So it was removed in the 3.32 release? That would explain why I still see it with v3.30.
Well, just another reason why I don't use Nautilus.

>If it's your hello world, which is CLI, you run it from the terminal emulator anyways, because it outputs to the terminal.
This. Just gonna open a terminal in my current directory and... oh, wait...

>the gay lizard sucks
>the foot sucks
>the mouse is good but...
THE BIRD WILL KILL THEM ALL

Attached: bird.png (350x350, 7K)

>cant disable mouse acceleration
its garbage

>open terminal
>cd /path/to/current/dir
>./fizzbuzz
wow that was fucking hard I broke 5 fingers and a toe
Except it fucking can?

Ever heard of Appimage?

Yes and it's fucking retarded
Only retarded winbabies use appimage

The absolute city-state of gnomefags.

You don't even have to cd to the file, just click 'open terminal here' in nautilus and execute the binary.

I never had to execute binaries though the file manager, I use my package manager like an adult for that. I run my hello world programs from the terminal as intended.

>not being hostage to a mactoddler tier UI is now somehow related to being a winfag
wtf I love windows now

>muh eleet club lol u winbabeez haf too do everyhting by hand otherwise u're not true leenux users
Imagine being this cucked to support retarded Gnome decisions.

To be honest, you need to be mentally ill to be able to justify being cucked like this.

>wow that was fucking hard I broke 5 fingers and a toe
Why are you blindly defending Nautilus, when you don't even know what you're talking about? The functionality is there (like mentioned), because it's an important feature.
My only qualm is that you can't get Nautilus to use a terminal emulator other than gnome-terminal and Xterm, but those two being hardcoded as default terminal emulators is a different story.

slow
poor mobile experience.
it's like running android on really old device, except this is your desktop and it's not old.

gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/nautilus/issues/244
Is there a bigger shitter than Carlos?

>opening a correctly installed program from a startmenu, dash etc is hard
Seethe harder

Gnome 3 has only been around 8 years.

>having an option is bad
Cuck harder

it forces me to use all the shit in its ecosystem i dont like but i guess it looks nice

t. kdefag

I want to punch Gnome developers and the people who enable them (canonical & red hat). It wouldn't be so bad, they'd be free to make their DE shit, but gnome being the "de facto" DE is the reason year of the Linux desktop will never come.

And then there's KrashDE...

Fucking xbox sized everything in this clown ux. Why are title bars so big, its complete trash. Fortunately we already have a perfect DE, xfce.

how fucking ironic

>still using GNOME
>when MATE has already taken everything that was ever good about it

Attached: 4XTFNGL.png (370x320, 10K)

god I hate gnome

Attached: 1554829839562.jpg (850x479, 65K)

go back to windows u stupid nigger, you rely on the gui, use the terminal like an adult. kiddies crying about lack of functionality on gnomes gui, when adults use the terminal

The point is that Gnome UX is fucking shit and it should be euthanized. There is no reason for it to exist when i3 has about the same amount of functionality without eating a gig of ram.

Hmm, seems to me that all the popular distros default to Gnome... sooo elaborate on that you dumb nigger cock sucker

Attached: thumbnail_file-7.jpg (698x710, 123K)

fpbp

It's shit. I fell for the 3.32 is fast meme and it's somehow even worse than before. Fuck Gnome, fuck Gnome devs, fuck RedHat and fuck you.

This.

Title bars are the same size as those in KDE, believe it or not. I never would have guessed it myself, but I heard about it on a podcast, and lo-and-behold, they were right.

Was this on Ubuntu? I noticed last night that Ubuntu somehow uses nearly twice the RAM that my other distro uses running Gnome. A quick look at htop didn't really provide any answers either. Kind of weird.

>don't use the GUI, just stick to a TTY for everything
great DE you got there, lol

Yeah, Ubuntu. But I run Fedora at work and it's barely any better.

and
is a samefag that wants to shill KDE with reverse psychology

Post more of these. Always love raging at these

All of the corporate versions of Linux use it, too. Red Hat, Canonical, Suse, they all ship with Gnome by default. I'm sure this is just to spite the know it all's on Jow Forumsreddit though. They couldn't possibly have a better reason for choosing a particular DE over another.

Just about every laptop and prebuilt PC comes with Windows. Just because everyone is using it, stocking it or pushing it to consumers does not guarantee its quality. Maybe GNOME is the reason for such low adoption rate.

My other distro is Arch, and it uses less than half of the RAM that Ubuntu uses. Arch with Gnome also somehow manages to use less RAM than Kubuntu, so I really don't know what the hell is going on with these distros. Another thing I've noticed is that for whatever reason, games installed under Wine in Ubuntu almost always work without any fiddling around, but this is not the case with Arch, even with the same software installed, though newer versions. It's the newer versions that are supposed to work the best.

Pretty much every single PC comes with Windows, so we can safely assume that Windows is just superior.

Ummm, yes it is... for the general consumer. are you fucking stupid or something? of course windows is better for the general consumer. i also like how you are comparing an entirely different os to one specific feature of Gnome being the GUI (which only retarded children use)

Umm, Gnome is nothing like MacOS, if anything, KDE is more like Mac.

blogs.gnome.org/aday/2017/08/31/status-icons-and-gnome/

yep

Attached: op about to get some.jpg (960x711, 43K)

I was always defending Gnome, but I’ve had just about enough. It’s sluggish compared to pretty much any other DE (yes, even after 3.32 made it perform better), having to resort to extensions for even the simplest stuff like tray icons is ridiculous, and now you can’t even execute shit from nautilus. Right now I’m hopping between Cinnamon and Plasma and both of them perform better and give you all the features you would expect from a DE.

>who the fuck runs software on GNU/Linux from a fucking file manager.
the same people who use desktop environments

fuck this gay bait thread

Why haven’t you taken the konqipill yet? Plasma just keepe getting better meanwhile Gnome keepe removing features. Once you get past the still shit defaults and messy settings it looks and performs better than Gnome and actually has basic features.

Attached: B846B10F-44F7-4C21-B66E-0F69A47DDE83.png (3497x4947, 977K)

I actually like GNOME's workflow and don't need tons of options to customize my DE (choosing a widget/window, icon and cursor theme is enough for me). Additionally I have better experiences with GNOME when it comes to high dpi displays and Fedora's KDE implementation sucks in general.

holy shit what a dumb faggot

>people actually use GNOME with the default file browser
Nautilus is trash. I always replace it with nemo. Otherwise though, GNOME beats the shit out of everything else without spending literally days ricing shit.

It requires systemd, which is a shit.
Also it's bloated. But that's secondary.
Basically you're asking the wrong question. There's no gnome hate, just justifiable systemd hate that gets misunderstood as gnome hate because it's directed at gnome users.

>among the best UX available
That's very subjective. For me it's the worst. Yes, really. I absolutely don't like it. At all.

Yes, all the major distributions push GNOME. None of them ship KDE as the default - yet KDE is equally popular. Their market share is the same. That so many people get GNOME as a default and switch to something else should tell you something. Hell, if there was no XFCE or MATE and my choice was GNOME or Windows then I'd probably switch to Windows. It's got that Linux subsystem thing now.

>meanwhile Gnome keepe removing features
This has been a problem with it since GNOME1, actually. Apparently 3 choices confuse GNOME developers so that has to be reduced to 2 and eventually one.

The sickest thing I've seen out of GNOME is a serious proposal to remove theme support since being able to change icons "gives users an inconsistent GNOME experience". It may or may not happen. Regardless, it does speak to a rather strange mindset.

Install MATE

ultra kek
Why are gnomecucks like this?

Doesn't werk on my machine.
KosherDE does.

good mem user-kun, i'm proud of you.

what a goddamn retard.

I hate them so godddamn much.

>the same people who use a DE
DEs already have a way of running software. Don't tell me you go to /usr/bin with your file manager to run stuff, because apparently that's what people with DE do, run software from the file manager

>And then there's KrashDE...
Nice meme reply. It's just that it's not 2014. anymore.

>it's not 2014 anymore
except it's 2019 and KDE still has bugs from 3.x

>lightweight
anyone who says this just needs to get a better computer. shits lightweight enuff
people actually execute binaries/apps from a gui file browser?

My only problem is that KDE's theme options are limited and most look like ass. That being said KDE makes Linux feel the closest to a "real" OS. It actually has its own suite of apps rather than a barely functional mishmash of FOSS shit, even if I'd rather eat my own hair and use KMail.

I hate those shity fucking giant client side title bars.

Ah, the good old "y-you don't need that anyway" argument.
Nautilus is garbage and I would completely remove it, if GNOME's search in the activities overview wouldn't use it to find directories.

I liked lxqt when I tried it recently. It just needs a bit more basic customization imo.

What's with all the wasted space?

>whole desktop should be crammed with information

>It's like they're competing with apple to see who can make the most restrictive and useless toy OS.
In case you were just joking, that's exactly what's happening.

A good desktop doesn't need some faggot to make a daily thread in its defense.

say that to the konqikuks that make KDE threads everyday

what did the devs do?

I don't hate this. Its not like anyone any opens random binaries through their file manager outside of Windows and maybe macOS, right?h

Budgie is better