Spacemacs

Why should I learn Emacs when this does everything I would want to better?

Attached: Icon_Spacemacs.png (512x512, 105K)

Bloated as fuck, Vanilla Emacs way superior.

Using vanilla emacs will let you learn the ecosystem easily and you will be able to get most of your text editor. If you don't care wasting time on customization Spacemacs is fine.

why waste time on that pajeet shit when having vi/m ??

Emacs works best when it's customized to your own liking

do whatever you want user. nobody cares

this IS emacs, just with nice packages added beforehand lol

/thread

Why use spacemacs over doom?

because he doesnt know about it

bloated

what does Doom do that Spacemacs don't?

an olympics-tier init time

Why use doom over emacs?

learn (n)vim and be done with it. 10 years from now you'll still use the best editor.

I already know vim. I moved to emacs because vim wasn't cutting it anymore.

>I moved to emacs because vim wasn't cutting it anymore.
you're a fucking retard.

someday you will understand

learn the way of nvi and feel the power of shell

1. install neovim
2. install spacevim

doom is emacs

After learning both vim and Emacs, I eventually moved to Nano for terminal and VS Code for GUI.

Attached: 14_Power_Glove.jpg (720x480, 122K)

Youll get it one day after configuring ur 1000th plugin.

Emacs is guaranteed to be here in even 20 years from now. Can't say the same about some shitty fork of vim. There will probably be another fork to (poorly) address the inherent problems with their plugin system.

Why should I learn GNU/Linux when Ubuntu does everything I would want to better?

keep fumbling with those vimscript plugins user

You didn't learn either vim nor emacs.

This. Doom is optimized to load way faster than the shitty init file you'd get starting from vanilla. You can install Doom and remove what you don't need. It just werks.

Bumping for Doom. It's great and the creator is clearly autistic so everything integrates perfectly.

Attached: main.png (1532x944, 197K)

My problem with doom is evil mode, I'm way more used to emacs keybinds. Is there any easy way to use doom without evil? I imagine there are lots of custom keybinds to change...

How are you ``used to'' emacs keybindings when you need something for vim refugees who are too lazy to set things up themselves?

I've set emacs up myself, but even after all my efforts it's not nearly as well polished as doom

Attached: emacs.png (2560x1440, 782K)

This is code for ``I'm too lazy to make everything well-polished''.

>using x
>WHAT?! can't you even make y behave like x already does? pleb.
ok, now go be a neet somewhere else.

"The ability to see how you their specific service performed depending on"
Are you having a stroke while writing?

You seem to have trouble reading. Where was there ever a discussion of making emacs behave exactly like doom? We were talking about polish. Polish is an aspect of certain behaviors, it's not itself a behavior. You can achieve the same level of polish without ``doing what doom already does''.

Old screenshot, no idea where that came from. That's the wonders of group projects.

Let me make this very clear for you:
>I have a lot of packages installed that I regularly use
>doom comes with a lot of packages installed
>the packages I use and Doom comes with overlap a lot
>doom has very good configurations for most of it's packages out of the box, hence why I called it polished
>my configuration feels lacking in comparison
>I want my configuration of certain packages to feel as polished as dooms
Yet I'm somehow "too lazy" because I don't want to replicate what took some other autists 8990 commits to create

Because clean Emacs is much faster and than this pile of crap. Either use Vim or Emacs, or fuck off. There is no such thing as "best of both worlds".

>I have a lot of packages installed that I regularly use
>doom comes with a lot of packages installed
>the packages I use and Doom comes with overlap a lot
>doom has very good configurations for most of it's packages out of the box, hence why I called it polished
This is code for ``I can't decide on my own what packages and configurations I need, so I tell myself that I'd configure it exactly the same way as doom would to feel better about my laziness''.
>my configuration feels lacking in comparison
This is code for ``I don't want to call myself lazy, so I just attribute some magical power to doom's config simply because it has been worked on for a long time. After all, time spent is surely a good indicator of the work required to make something well-polished and suited exactly to your liking''.
>replicate what took some other autists 8990 commits to create
This is code for ``I don't want to face the reality that creating a well-polished configuration with many packages doesn't require spending 8k commits worth of time so I tell myself that anyone who managed to do that is a NEET, just to make myself feel better about my laziness''.

This is code for “My only achievement in life is configuring emacs to my liking”

This is code for ``I believe basic shit like learning to write well-polished config files is somehow an ``achievement'' and that anyone who manages to do that in less than 8k commits is a NEET, just to feel better about my laziness''.

Why are you such a cancerous, pitiful excuse for a living human being?

Attached: 123546432431.jpg (400x400, 29K)

I don't have cancer and I'm not pitiful. Also, have you ever tried asking the same question to yourself?

So you're still an excuse for a human being. Excellent.

Attached: 13784321354689473.png (340x395, 198K)

That would imply me being pitiful. Also, why are you attaching frog images to your posts?

I like animals. Problem?

Attached: WWQjfWKx.jpg (398x398, 33K)

Some animals like the one you posted are a problem. The world doesn't need such garbage walking around.

>The world doesn't need such garbage walking around.
Quite ironic coming from you.

Attached: 1431275482784.jpg (550x732, 60K)

Because Spacemacs has so much stuff installed, it's 10x times harder to learn than regular Emacs.

is there somewhere you can find out what plugins you want for emacs?

>plugins
Let me guess, you use Macs and/or are code monkey webdevs.

>doesn't know emacs
>thinks spacemacs is better

Attached: 1553285900133.png (450x416, 186K)

why would I know emacs when spacemacs is better?

It depends. Look up most popular packages on melpa and check other people configs.

Is it fair to say that you see more people moving from vim to emacs than you see moving from emacs to vim?

I've never seen anyone move from emacs to vim. though, there's some that move to like vscode or similar for their job.

if it is your first time using Vim or Emacs is ok.

if it is your first time using Emacs but know Vim is ok.

But you can learn vanilla Emacs and build it from there. The experience is nice and learn little by little. I use evil, org-mode and I am learning to use "vanilla" Helm. If you learn a completion framework (ido, ivy, helm) you will never come back.

>If you learn a completion framework (ido, ivy, helm) you will never come back.
This
Ido is so damn comfy

actually, I tried ido after following a tutorial about Emacs basics. Then I used vertical ido + ido everywhere + smex. Then I learn about ivy + swiper + counsel and then about helm. All this shit in a 4 fucking days and didn't learn anything at all. it's fun to mess up with Emacs, thought.

so which one did you stick with? Im currently on the second one (vertical ido).

vertical ido
it's so simple yet so beautiful, no need for fancy helm stuff

I stayed with helm. I found it ok and it works nice. I have to say that I am using "vanilla" helm, I also do not program aside from a few scripts for personal use.

My advice is to read the documentation, it's not hard to understand. Also, if you are comfortable with ido, stay with ido. Ido is ok too.

so do either of you use projectile for project specific search?
or is this sufficient?
(defun find-project-root ()
"Returns root of the project, determined by .git/, default-directory otherwise."
(let ((search-directory (locate-dominating-file "." ".git")))
(if search-directory
search-directory
default-directory))
)

(defun find-file-in-project-root ()
"Find file in project root."
(interactive)
(let ((default-directory (find-project-root)))
(call-interactively 'find-file)))

>using emacs in 2019
Jesus Christ some people are retarded

I've been using vanilla emacs for a little while, around a year or so, and I just installed spacemacs and shit is mad comfy. Tramp and stuff works out the box, helm is configured nicely, I can still choose to use emacs bindings, nice theme.
Sure I could configure this all myself but having a simple install is comfy.
And yeah it is a bit slower but it's like a 2 or 3 second loading time, nothing to complain about.

Thinking of learning emacs. I am a vim newfag, but I feel pretty comfortable with it. Looking to expand my horizon. Advice?

>go into emacs thread to shit on emacs
Jesus Christ some people are retarded

Witchmacs

Attached: gnumarisa.png (669x631, 34K)

not big on weebry, and im gay and dislike females, but thanks for the advice

"epic". Now fuck off to and .

>2000 + 19 is the year where plebbit users tell people to go back to plebbit
do you think you are cool?

Attached: images.jpg (227x222, 8K)

>images.jpg
>3d whore
Use and .

>has literally nothing to say but to pick on le filename xD
hilariously pathetic
>weeb fag in denial cant even comprehend getting IRL pussy.
Just be gay at this point, I bet you're cute ;)

>le filename xD
>;)
Refer to and .

literally not even making sense at this point. Try harder, reddit migrant.

Attached: 6f6dc624872d011881bed82483104607.png (469x498, 516K)

Anime website

Attached: kong.jpg (960x600, 69K)

>i-i'm welcome here, r-right guys??
don't be upset, you are always welcome over at reddit :^)

>:^)
see

see