Ordered a Raspberry pi 3 b+ today from eBay. Only getting the board, a 16gb micro SD card, and two heat sinks with it...

Ordered a Raspberry pi 3 b+ today from eBay. Only getting the board, a 16gb micro SD card, and two heat sinks with it. No power supply. Recommended power is 5v 2.5a for efficient peripheral usage of the USB ports. I have several adapters but they are all 1.5 and 2 and 3v. No 2.5v. reluctant to use the 3v but plan to use a WiFi adapter with an Atheros 9271 chipset which gets pretty warm when used with my laptop. So will 2v be enough juice for the Atheros chip when I plug it in the pi?

Attached: Raspberry Pi 3.jpg (970x728, 407K)

Other urls found in this thread:

raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/warning-icons.md
retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/17619/that-god-lightning-bolt
adafruit.com/product/1995
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Attached: under_volt.png (180x180, 7K)

nigga you need 5V

a smaller one will probably fine
heatsinks are a meme imho just like cases

Attached: 1536366123044.jpg (201x240, 6K)

OP, do this, but be careful. Might need to underclock the Pi first. Also shit is gonna be unreliable.

That doesn't mean that.

Seems like you never used a Pi in your entire life.

raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/warning-icons.md
retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/17619/that-god-lightning-bolt

>I have several adapters but they are all 1.5 and 2 and 3v. No 2.5v. reluctant to use the 3v but plan to use a WiFi adapter with an Atheros 9271 chipset which gets pretty warm when used with my laptop. So will 2v be enough juice for the Atheros chip when I plug it in the pi?
i'm assuming you meant to write 'a' instead of 'v' in all of this
a 3A supply is perfectly safe, you can never have too many amps in a power supply, if the device only draws 2.5A, it will draw 2.5A regardless of if the supply is 2.5A, 3.0A, or 200A

Use the official power adapter.

I think op meant amps(a) instead of volts(v) when referring to 1.5, 2, and 3. A 5 volt 3 amp adapter might be too much power for the pi where as 2 amps might not be enough to power the pi and Atheros WiFi adapter efficiently. Op better be on the safe side and get a 5v 2.5a adapter.

not him, but i've had a 1B for ages now and i've never seen this error, despite running it from all kinds of power sources (some inadequate)

>A 5 volt 3 amp adapter might be too much power for the pi
no, it's 5V and at least 2.5A, which means it's perfectly enough power for the pi
you can't have too many amps
just look at usb adapter for cars, you think they can take 200A+? (a car battery will happily melt the tiny wires in those if you gave it a chance) no way, amps are "drawn" by a circuit, based on how much resistance it has
more amps than designed for can only damage a circuit which is already faulty (such as short-circuited)

Pi 3B+ can draw up to ~1.5A by itself if you stress the CPU while simultaneously transmitting over Wi-Fi; so if you don't plug in any USB devices or add-ons that require additional power, you can use a 2A adapter.

Why do you want to use an external Wi-Fi adapter when Pi has one built in?

>you can't have too many amps

You can have too many amps if it's a constant-current supply rather than constant-voltage. But those are almost never found outside of LED lighting applications, and certainly don't exist in the form of wall adapters with microUSB plugs.

1.5 and 2 will work depending on what you connect to it, i'm using a 2a adapter just fine

there are always exceptions to the rules, if someone is making an LED driver, they should already know about this
for the purpose of explaining common supplies, this is good enough

The power requirements for old and new Pis are very different. 1B is like 1.5W maximum and can be safely powered from a PC USB port, 2B is 2-3W, and 3B+ with wireless active can go up to 6-7W.

Op here

Yeah I meant a instead of v. So I will probably use the 3a adapter with the pi. I've been cord cutting lately to save money. Gas prices are shit today. got rid of cable and got an ota (over the air) HDTV antenna for television viewing. Got rid of my internet service and got an old DirecTV dish and using it as a terrestrial antenna picking up WiFi from all over the neighborhood using a cantenna setup. Tried using my laptop (HP Stream model), Kali Linux, and an Atheros 9271 chipset WiFi adapter to hack a few BSSIDs. No luck. Laptop must be inferior...IDK...so I'm gonna try a pi.

u wot m8

if your wireless adapter cannot pick up the signal when connected to a PC, what makes you think that it'll work better with a pi?

Kali Linux on my HP Stream laptop will pick up most, if not all, of my neighbors WiFi signals bssids when I use airmon-ng, aireplay-ng, aircrack-ng, etc. The problem is the handshake authentication into the router(s). I don't think my cheap HP Stream laptop can hack it

If you think a Pi is more powerful than whatever Celeron is in your HP, or if cracking Wi-Fi has anything to do with how cheap your laptop is, you're a dumbass. I hope you end up stealing wireless from a bait AP set up by another dumb script kiddie who sniffs your passwords.

Attached: Dumbass.gif (490x642, 46K)

Just get a 5.25v 2.5a supply so it never undervolts. Adafruit has them for the Rpi:
adafruit.com/product/1995

>This adapter was specifically designed to provide 5.25V not 5V, but we still call it a 5V USB adapter. We did this on purpose to solve a problem that occurs often with USB-powered gadgets: they draw so much current that the resistance of the cable causes a voltage drop, so instead of 5V, the device sees 4.75V or so. To avoid this problem, we made the adapter 5.25V and the USB cable has extra-beefy 20AWG wires! This way, even at a full 2.5 Amp draw, the voltage at the end wont be lower than about 4.9V

Power of your cpu shouldn’t have any effect on being able to capture a handshake. It certainly would when trying to crack the password though. Try the airgeddon script maybe you’re doing something wrong.

>2v enough
you need 5v with at least 2amps

Next youre gonna ask us what you can do with the raspi

Shove it up your ass.

The pi does throttle under extended loads base, you can delay that slightly with the heatsink but for continual loads that don't hit throttle temp you need a small fan or a pretty large (relative to the pi's size) heatsink

You are retarded.

I run KDE Plasma for shits sometimes on my Pi and it heats that bitch up like crazy. Same if you’re running an OpenGL emulator for hours on end.