Can you blackpill me on DevOps?

can you blackpill me on DevOps?

Attached: 1543635428597.png (459x413, 470K)

they will be automated away in the next 5-15 years. deploying software will truly become a 1-click thing.

Learning DevOps in 2019 is the equivalent of learning how to re shoe a horse in 1900.

Learning how to shoe a horse in 1900 made people good money for another 30 years

Pick the relevant year. You get the point.

Not really. Why is deployment becoming so easy in the first place? DevOps. They are literally the people building this up. That's like telling an engineer designing a car that cars will be so prominent in the future that there'll be no need to design new cars.

What about sysadmins, Jow Forums?

Attached: IMG_20190418_004012.jpg (180x215, 6K)

I like this way of looking at it.

when it works, it's the developer getting a call because the production system broke

when it doesn't, it's the sysadmin trying to reinvent basic programing abstractions using a declarative language

in short, there are no more jobs as a sysadmin unless you already have 10+ years of experience in well known companies and are applying to work for ms/amazon/whomever else has a big cloud service

It's putting developers in charge of systems administration.
I'm taking all my money out the bank and buying gold and canned food before the stupid fuckers bring everything down.

>buying gold
stop falling for retarded boomer memes. gold won't help you when SHTF.

It's programmers reinventing systems administrations from first principles.

You're right, I'll ditch the gold and buy tide pods. Hell, I can even ditch the canned foood too!

If you're a developer, you will probably find DevOps incredibly boring. The problems aren't that interesting.

easily the dumbest post on this board right now

Willing to bet you're a college kid or helpless desk baby without any real industry experience

sure user

Attached: (You).jpg (639x1069, 124K)

If you're a sysadmin, you will probably find DevOps incredibly frustraing. Developers are still retarded at infrastructure

He's not wrong, he's also not exactly right.

Source: Decade and a half of industry, with the last few years of rebranding myself as devops

Developers.
Why are you all so fucking terrible at your fucking jobs, cunts?
Do you sit there and think, "Hmm, I think I'll make it so that this software requires to be ran as a Domain Administrator, needs IE8, Adobe Reader X and Quicktime to be installed, and also requires he Windows Firewall to be turned off."
Learn to fucking code, cunts.

Attached: 67j8v28q-1395192391.jpg (920x1521, 233K)

t. Neet

DevOps are the best paid jobs in the industry (more than ML/Data Science meme Jobs)

are you the nigger that called me a poofter yesterday

The law of devops: No matter how simple you make it, developers will still find a way to fuck it up.

We are paid really well for what we do. Variety of work is pretty neat too. I do everything from designing datacenter level networks to fucking around with kubernetes clusters to herding developer cats into not fucking up their deployments.

You are a poofter.

Attached: 1549487229771.jpg (1295x1812, 934K)

I agree with this user, but it goes against my principles to respond directly to a Tripfag.

Is Kubernetes worth it? There's a lot of buzz but the learning curve is not easy at all

From a technical perspective: No.

You literally don't need it unless you're google, or attempting to re-implement GCP from first principles.

From a resume engineering perspective: Fuck yes. Makes you the hottest shit on the block.

Unless your stack is serving thousands of requests per second, the answer is no.

He's not totally wrong. Sysadmin roles are drying up. Most SMBs don't need one anymore, they just have one from inertia. Let me tell you what 20 years from now looks like: Small companies contract out for their computers/security and make use of online services for everything they can. Anyone wanting to do sysadmin work will either be employed at one of these contracting companies, or they're a top 5% guy working at a fortune 500 company that actually needs dedicated sysadmin staff.
Where the knee on this curve is, is anyone's guess. I figure it's 4-8 years from now.

FUCK user be quiet, we don't want Jow Forums niggers hearing about the best job in the industry

And even then, there are better/cheaper/easier ways to do it with aws lambda or google compute functions or something.

If management wants you to use k8s, just use one of the managed solutions, don't be a retard. Managing a k8s cluster is more /wrist inducing than rolling your own CI stack.

take dysfunctional standard work straight out of the 90s and make it as automagic as possible.
The levels of stupid and rework you'll have to do will be completely variable and unique per each project.

>Sysadmin roles drying up
Old school mouse-driven sysadmin jobs are very much dead.

In the next few years there's going to be a shift back from cloud to on-prem deployments though, we're already seeing it happen. And MSPs aren't cutting it for a lot of those shops, so it starts to make sense for them to bring talent inhouse.

It's a very cyclical industry. We've been here before, we'll be here again.

Is Geoff gay? She is pretty hot and was flirting with him the whole event.

>Old school mouse-driven sysadmin jobs are very much dead.

Forgot to say, but those were meme jobs anyway. Real sysadmins always coded and automated shit anyway, we just got a title change.

If you want to make dumb money, learn to automate Windows, there's a legacy piece of tech that's going to inertia you well into retirement with COBOL/FORTRAN levels of arcanity.

i swear this happens in every devops thread. there's always a few that come out of the woodwork with "fuck developers lmaooo", all the while their positions are drying up by the year, whereas developers are paid more than ever. they're all delusional faggots that can't accept that AWS is automating them out of existence.

>Old school mouse-driven sysadmin jobs are very much dead.
lol, no. In software development companies sure, but sysadmins are still a thing. These people are typically well disciplined in Linux or Windows management and a bit of scripting but are otherwise incompetent and not fit to work in DevOps.

I get paid more than the devs do, and I do, lol.

Also AWS is maybe automating idiots who would do everything manually out of existence. If you were doing shit at larger scales, all that happened is that instead of caring for 1 server, you now have a cluster of a thousand of the fuckers under your care.

And that shit happened before VmWare became a thing in the small-medium business space

>aws lambda or google compute functions
Literally the biggest meme tech in the market today. If any manager says let's use Lambdas, they can safely be laughed at and told to fuck off.

Most companies don't differentiate these days. Most "Sysadmin" roles that you're thinking of are either getting rebranded to "DevOps", or are going off to manage shit like VmWare stacks, datacenters, or going full network/dba.

based. I've tried Lambda and a couple of other (((serverless))) platforms, they're all shit and designed to lock you in.

It's a meme, but it also keeps corporate happy, and keeps me from having to do too much infrastructure work, and I can stick to doing security and network/flow design rather than wrangle a server farm or deal with shitty deployment pipelines.

Because believe it or not you still need other infrastructure to support shit running on other people's servers.

Why? They are costly, but better than half assing kubernetes, which is not easy (I had to deal with a medium sized cluster and it wasn't always a pleasant experience)

>Most companies don't differentiate these days.
Simply untrue. If you apply for a sysadmin role, you're typically not going to be expected to have any programming knowledge. They might ask for PowerShell as a plus, but you're an IT guy.
DevOps/SREs are expected to be able to competently write code and understand developer processes.

What kind of Security do you do?

Maybe at FAANG sure, but I see a lot of corporate C levels going WE DO DEVOPS NOW and just renaming departments instead of actually implementing "devops" (whatever the fuck that means) lol.

Even full-assing kubernetes is still an exercise in punching yourself in the dick repeatedly. Currently babysitting 5 production clusters, want to kill myself IRL.

Right. That's why I think there's a legit case for serverless (although I haven't tried it myself)

In a cloud env it's mostly going to be audit scans/reporting keeping any server-based infrastructure not fucked, and basically playing translator between $cloud_provider and $C_level freaking out.

DevOps isn't a technical role, it's a people role, believe it or not. It's like 60% yelling at people that their design is retarded, 35% corporate therapy, 3% tech work 2% arch and design.

as someone working at a smallish business I can confirm this. we're not even backfilling the last shitadmin.

Going full MSP? I'm sorry. :(

>corporate C levels going WE DO DEVOPS NOW
when you phrase it like this, yeah, you're spot on. Some of these people have no clue what DevOps even is. It was never even supposed to be a role. That's why you keep your eye out for companies looking for SREs or infrastructure guys, they know what they're talking about.
But regardless, DevOps pays well and I'm happy with putting up with the buzzwords.

SRE is also the most rapidly growing corp meme, because nobody outside of google really can or even should implement it, but everybody is trying to do it and it's fucking hilarious.

Also it's not some of these people, it's most of these people. Most "Thought (thot?) leaders" in this space included.

basically. even the parent co is doing the same. centralizing anything that can't be and everything greenfield is all AWS or some Managed M$ shit.

managing actual on prem shit is a waste of time and the retard here who was doing it before made an insecure, shitty mess of aids to untangle. doesn't help the guy couldn't script for shit either.

Well SRE is a buzzword too. Fuck. If companies could just drop the retarded job titles and say what they wanted it would be a whole lot easier.

Companies want a PHD nobel prize-winning babysitter who can code and run their business with one hand and jack them off with the other for 0$ an hour.

kek absolutely

Dev Ops sits between sysadmin and tech support. Dev Ops people monitor the systems, are on call, and fix the tickets that come in.

I interviewed for a DO position at Bloomberg and it was mostly linux scripting and debugging technical issues with the software

Spoilers: DevOps/Cloud/SRE consulting is where the real racket is actually at. I ain't ever going back to the corporate life ever again, but I'm a broken human being who doesn't mind the travel and the insane shit I have to put up with/do.

>nu-Jow Forums thinking system administrators are going to be obsolete soon and Dev-Ops are going to running everything.

Fuck I hate how this board is invested with anime-pedo-tranny-neets and first semester computer science majors who have not failed out of university yet to become anime-pedo-tranny-neets.

Guess what you stupid fucks, Dev-Ops make sense in major companies that have both infrastructure roles and developer roles. You know where Dev-Ops roles don't make sense? 99% of companies because they have their own infrastructure but simply consume applications and are too small to justify creating their own applications. Most environments will be and continue to be hybrid environments that are both on-prem and cloud. For example one company might have an obscure application that runs off of a Windows Server 2003 and uses the cloud for Office 365 for email but does not use the cloud for Azure AD as that is fucking slow and expensive as shit compared to an on-prem DC.

Actual Dev-Ops who match the definition are far and few inbetween because it requires a large skill base to be good at both infrastructure and programming; most Dev-Ops are programming fuccbois who think because they can spin up an Azure VM that they are "system administrators" and end up getting BTFO when they have to figure out how implement a subnet or actually manage user accounts. Dev-Ops is another bullshit term that programmers created for themselves, such as (((software-engineer))), to jerk themselves off.

Now give me some >yous, you stupid fucking retard niggers.

no you're pretty much right.

Devops isn't a role or a team, it's a culture.

A culture of engineers owning the whole software development cycle including operations and infrastructure. Sure there are teams that enable that culture, but I consider them more to be platform teams.

>>nu-Jow Forums thinking system administrators are going to be obsolete soon and Dev-Ops are going to running everything.

but that's true bro. t. no shitadmins here.

this

the roles may change, but sysadmins will never be replaced.

Attached: C9kZ1f0XcAAKVjV.jpg (701x692, 84K)

OK so how do I learn devops?

>Now give me some >yous, you stupid fucking retard niggers.
The fuck are you rambling on about