/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>i5-9400F/9600K - Great gaming CPUs
>R5 2600/X - Great multithreaded use CPUs
>i7-9700K - Extreme solution for absolute max FPS
>R7 2700/X - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>RX 570 8GB - good performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard
>RTX 2060 - high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
1440p
>RTX 2060 - standard
>RTX 2080 - high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2080 - standard
>RTX 2080Ti - better fit for 4K but expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Don't bother buying a new monitor for gaming unless it's 144Hz with adaptive sync
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

Previous:

Attached: CqEvqrDWcAA06Q6.jpg (900x1200, 189K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&O=&Q=&et=1556845156713&is=REG&m=Y&sku=1431548
amazon.com/Sapphire-11276-02-40G-Radeon-Pulse-Graphics/dp/B07BGZNTQJ
youtube.com/watch?v=hmhBgLSIneQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

3 MOUSES! WTF!. look at all those icons bro!

Attached: 1546727265270.jpg (1600x900, 193K)

>Doesn't only go for hard nvidia bias in the video cards, also gives the worst AMD advice possible to taint people

Wait for Navi, sirs.

I wish, but last time I waited for AMD it was for the 480... and I ended up with a 1060 6GB.

Just wait bro. Navi will be 2080ti performance for $280, confirmed by adoredtv

I think what was saying is that saving $100 on the CPU would get you a better GPU for Adobe Premiere.

The 2060 is really gimped for professional work.

Yes, it's designed to run at that voltage which is why it does.

Under 85C on core, mem, and vrm is perfectly fine.

The Tomahawk's VRM heatsink is plenty substantial. More than you need even for an overclocked 2700/X

bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&O=&Q=&et=1556845156713&is=REG&m=Y&sku=1431548

Thoughts on this monitor? Been looking for a good 1440/144hz monitor around the $300-400 range. I'm thinking either this or the 27 inch viotek listed in the suggested monitors in the OP.

>navi
What's the point, waiting for more mid-tier trash is fucking stupid.

>recommending 2060 when vega 56 is 300$
ok

I'm the guy asking about monitors last night and some circumstances changed, I have yet to do my second round of research, but any general recommendations for a monitor with the following criteria?

>Under around $500~ (No hard cap but 400s is ideal)
>1440p
>144hz (120 is fine)
>Gsync/Freesync (as long as the latter is compatible with a Nvidia GPU)
>IPS panel preferred, good TNs are acceptable
>Not curved
>No significant things people consider dealbreakers (was previously looking at a Dell model but the reviews incessantly complained about it looking like shit in the dark and blacks bleeding, as an example. Ended up just raising my budget for something better). Another model I looked at had this anti-glare finish that ruined the entire thing

Redpill me on not dropping a 1050 Ti into a computer I got for free from work (has a haswell i7) instead of spending 10 times as much money on a full from scratch build

Attached: img_9619-1[1].jpg (1000x1000, 82K)

If you wait a bit the 1650 might come out in half height and be the same price as 1050 Ti

Wait for Intel 10nm in 2077 sirs, 10nm will be revolutionary

Is it a bad idea to use CPU_OPT fan header for a case fan?

Sirs, wait for ryzen 3000, it's gonna be better then intel this time for sure

The ones that usually make half cards already said they wont.
>Source
EVGA, MSI, Gigabyte forums.
I asked, im waiting for one for my M93p.

I guess they are all waiting for the 1650Ti for the SFF version.

Rice up the Optiplex. You did good.

Its not a bad idea, the average poorfag build is exactly that.

I can't. The mid/bottom tier cpus coming out today perform pretty much the same. Can't beat free.

do you still need to set a 10% unallocated partition for overprovisioning with m.2 nvme drives, or do the newer controllers handle garbage collection without you having to touch anything?

Intel 7nm will be very good sirs just wait 2177 year of 7nm

can somebody rate my build?

Attached: current build.png (1537x653, 76K)

I'm surprised by that, I've almost never seen anybody try this, everyone always says to get a ryzen 2200g with no GPU for an entry level build, but it seems like this would beat the pants off of that for cheaper even if I didn't get the computer for free (it's regularly $80-100 on ebay and craigslist)

Intel 5nm will be the absolute best sirs 5nm in year 2377 sirs wait

Only in those that lack DRAM cache and only use SLC cache, aka the shitty ones you should avoid.

Its a better idea to build a proper computer from scratch you can upgrade later on, with SFF/Office PCs you will only be able to upgrade the GPU to a half size one, add a SSD and that is it.
It wont be powerful but it will be really cheap.

Is it worth getting the i5 9600K over the i7 8700 (non K) or an R7 2700X?

OP is just a troll.
Just ignore it an refer to one of the previous OPs.

Won't recommend you do something that retarded.
Replacing the PSU and adding a RX570 instead is better value. Over 50% better performance, double in some cases, for the case cost including PSU.

>The ones that usually make half cards already said they wont.
That's retarded considering it's literally the only point of the GPU. I can't believe how they're trying to market those.

>$310 for 1660Ti when Vega 56 is 20% faster for $10 cheaper
>CX PSU
>$120 for CX PSU
>9600k
You could save about $200 and get a far better build at the same time. This is really bad and atrocious value.

No? 6 threads often isn't enough. You bottleneck even a 1080 in some games, pinned at 100% cpu usage on all 6 cores, let alone something better.

when do you guys think ryzen 5 3600x is gonna come out. I got a bottleneck going on with my rtx 2070 and i5 4690k(running at 1440p though to mitigate some of it).

It expects a CPU fan, so it's going to revv up like your CPU fan. By the time you need more than 3 or 4 case fans, it would be wiser to pick up a better CPU cooler and/or a better ventilated case (or delid if your CPU is eligible).

>9600K with a cheap board
>Paying extra for RGB RAM
>No SSD
>$310 for a 1660Ti
>120 for 600W 80+ Bronze
There are improvements to be made.

wait for zen2 or 9400/8400/2600x
vega 56 + 10$ cheaper + 2 games instead of 1660ti amazon.com/Sapphire-11276-02-40G-Radeon-Pulse-Graphics/dp/B07BGZNTQJ

For gaming, some VM work, and many browser tabs

>6 threads pozzed housefire garbage
>locked pozzed housefire garbage
2700x.

Also they always use a 230w PSU which will die faster if you use a 75W card on it, but we are still talking about 3-5 years of use.

Not before July. OC your 4690K if you haven't, it's not like it's garbage.

I could just move it to a bigger case later to use full height graphics cards

From the comparisons I'm seeing even current cpus are barely faster than i7-4790

>I could just move it to a bigger case later to use full height graphics cards
Jej no. Dell uses a shit load of proprietary stuff in their builds, so ripping it off and moving on to a bigger case is a huge pain in the ass.

>pulse
stop recommending trash

Ay man were in the same boat but ive got a 1080. Just wait till the computex conference at the end of the month and if it aint announced then guess ill die.

The 3600 will be 6 cores, and just 15% faster than current zen+. Not worth waiting.

Actually surprisingly optiplex boards are atx mounting compatible

The only proprietary shit is the PSU plug on the board but there are adapters for it to use a regular atx one

Then you have to deal with the nonstandard ATX motherboard (which can be fixed by removing the standoffs) and the propietary PSU that will need one or multiple adapters because instead using the standaard 20/24 motherboard ATX power slot they use the 10 pin one.

There are multiple reasons why people don't upgrade those to a normal case.

Eh, I'm a poorfag, I'll make it work

Worst case I can just buy a cheap haswell board from ebay and salvage the cpu and ram. Still saving hundreds of dollars using that compared to making a new ryzen build or whatever to run an rx 580

I can edit the curve and it wont be a PWM fan but a normal 3 pin one.
Im using a HAF912, shit is already properly ventilated but im using 8 HDDs which apparently destroy the case temperature.
Im just worried if its a bad idea or not, im already using 4 Arctic fans, im going to move a old one to the top part for more exhaust.

>Get a NAS
I already have one.

Sell it on ebay and then buy the mid tower version, then you can put a full height graphics card in it (rx 570 or 580 are near the same price but about 2x faster than 1050 ti)

how is it trash? rofl

>New case
>New PSU
>New GPU
>New (used) board
>New (used) CPU
I think it's an horrible use of your money but whatever floats your boat. At least do this , that's still poorfaggotry but somewhat smarter.

Just buy a used SFF 1030/1050Ti and upgrade the optiplex, by the time you need something better consider building one and make the optiplex a HTPC.

Whoops, meant to quote .

That person is trolling and spamming the thread.
Just look at the 46 posts, 22 posters, report and move on.

>i7-4790
They might not be much faster comparing to 2133 or 2666 RAM. But actual fast RAM makes a big difference.
You're also not taking into account that when the board dies, it's difficult to replace.
You're also not looking at framegraphs. Even a 2600 delivers vastly more consistent frametimes than the 4790, which is a pretty cheap CPU.

Just remove the side panel or cut a hole in it and you can fit a full sized GPU, can't you?

Person recommending a 1030 is trolling you. The 2400G iGPU is better than that. That's much of why those SFF Optiplex are such a trap.

>consider building one and make the optiplex a HTPC.
I was actually gonna do that from the getgo, shit's already as wide as an xbox 360

I program all day so when I get home Id rather chill on the couch instead of a desk to play shit

>Person recommending a 1030 is trolling you. The 2400G iGPU is better than that. That's much of why those SFF Optiplex are such a trap.
They make half height 1050 Ti's though which smoke both of those

>Just remove the side panel or cut a hole in it and you can fit a full sized GPU, can't you?

This

Attached: tioEijAyfhIMeNRGDrlQ5HeSZMYVu-Qr3HXca04e_5E[1].jpg (576x768, 85K)

>1030 is trolling you. The 2400G iGPU is better than that.
Both perform the same even with 3000MHz RAM.
And used 1030s are $50.

Love the 80mm fan in the WD HDD.

If I was to be a real retard and do a watercooling loop in my PC but over the space of say a year or so. What parts should I buy first and which to look out for sales on?

The most expensive parts seem to be the pump, res & fittings overall.

All of you are ignoring one important thing, how good is cooling in that thing? I bet it's total shit with loudass fans.

It's time for you to bite the bullet and strap an AIO to that piece of shit if you're concerned about temperatures and noise.

Buy Noctua products, sirs.

Not bad actually, They have one exhaust and one intake and PSU works as exhaust too.

It's the lowest tier model

If it's just for programming why would you waste an extra $150 on a 1050Ti to begin with..?
It has an iGPU. Wtf.

>They make half height 1050 Ti's though which smoke both of those
for more than the CPU+GPU combined costs with a 2400G. lol.
>paying $50 for a USED card with that shitty of performance with a 5x more powerful RX570 is only $30 more used
lol

Based non-retard.
Though that GPU looks suffocated as fuck lmao. Sticking out the side of the PSU must help at least.

Sorry, bought case fans from be Quiet! instead. But honestly I should've spent that cash in a delid. But then again Zen2 is happening SOON™, so at the same time I can't really justify a delid anyway.

>If it's just for programming why would you waste an extra $150 on a 1050Ti to begin with..?
No, you misunderstood
I want to make the pc a gaming htpc because I don't want to game at my desk after programming at a desk at work all day.

Zen2 has been happening soon since August last year lmao

Done, now what.

>for more than the CPU+GPU combined costs with a 2400G. lol.
For like $20-30 more and over twice the performance

Wd blue isn't NVMe, it's just m.2 for the form factor and because that mobo has a nice heatsink for it.

no, its actually one of the highest, unless you think number of fans = tier

Jow Forums got meme'd by the scottish neet

WD has been making Blue NVMe SSDs since March.

>implying gpu brand for same model means a damn thing
Why do you dumb shits do this?

So much arguing over maybe a couple fps of performance difference.

All that matters is the fans

>scottish neet
Scottish neet here. What the fuck'd I do? Cunt.

nah it's actually one of the loudest and hottest

My nigga

Attached: w2JsqoT[1].jpg (3200x2394, 1002K)

Really? Huh, go figure I built my last one in February.

do you own one? because i do and i get 70c at 1650rpm

I did a revision
is it much better?

Attached: current build v2.png (1524x650, 78K)

There's no need for 16gb. just get 2x4gb

Do the needful sirs and buy vega graphics card.

Buy an ssd you faggot they're as cheap as they've ever fucking been right now

You can get a 250gb one for like $30

>Still no SSD
>Paying a $100 for 650W Gold
>Paying $67 for a 1TB drive
>Locked 8700 with a 1660Ti
God, just stop. The CPU choice makes no sense with that GPU.

what do you rec for a cpu?

Cry some more you idiotic AMD fanboy. AMD GPUs will always be garbage.

What kind of monitor do you possess? Definition and refresh rate.

9400f

Get a 2600 or a 2700.
Freezer 33.
MSI B450 Tomahawk.
WD Blue and a 860 EVO.

why you dont want vega for 20$ more?

Which memory is the good type you want in a GPU?
Just noticed that my 970 has Samsung memory, but I've never OC'd it - should I?

BUY VEGA SIRS PLEASE MY DAUGHTER NEEDS TO EAT I BEG YOU

BenQ ZOWIE XL2411P 24 Inch 144Hz 1080p

idk

>9400f
doesnt that have shitty benchmarks?

>Which memory is the good type you want in a GPU?
You don't get to choose, so it's a moot point. GPUs manufacturers may just drop whatever they have in the GPU. Hell, even with its socketed GPU testing, MSI still doesn't isolate golden silicon GPUs from the other ones because it's not worth the hassle.

Samsung for modern GPU's.
>970
I wouldn't, My 970 with samung memory died without an OC. I just wouldn't.

I have a higher noise floor so I bought louder fans which pump far more air

>doesnt that have shitty benchmarks?
It doesn't, but it's not significantly better than the 2600X in gaming while having less threads. So heh, pricing will depend of your region but IMO it's not worth it.
>youtube.com/watch?v=hmhBgLSIneQ

>BenQ ZOWIE XL2411P 24 Inch 144Hz 1080p
The thing is, to get maximum FPS you need a really good CPU in K variant, and a really good board to OC it. If you're happy with 75-100FPS depending of games, pick a 2600X/9400F. If you really want to milk the FPS out of your monitor, you're going to pay a huge premium.

>why you dont want vega for 20$ more?
because the AIO, bracket & fans etc required for Vega run more than the $20 I'd save.

if you cant fit the card you can buy a new case and be happy the GPU+CPU wont cook the computer thanks to bad airflow

do you know the PSU rating? id replace the psu and plan a 580 or a 1060 6gb. only other options at this point is a 2060. all these 3 cards will do you 1080p75 if not way higher resolutions while maxed for quite some time

hows the ram?
what storage it has?
does the case has a slot for a fan?
good job on getting a literally free midrange PC

Should my case fan be intake or exhaust?

get a non modular PSU
add a ssd
reconsider the case
get a i7

Attached: MOBO quality.png (1488x2008, 173K)