I'm starting SICP, what should I expect?

I'm starting SICP, what should I expect?
No spoilers please

Attached: owu.png (480x300, 52K)

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.org/details/MIT_Structure_of_Computer_Programs_1986/
youtu.be/fYyARMqiaag
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Expect to do Lisp programming.

I bunch of outdated programming concepts and exercises intended to be implemented with outdated languages

>outdated programming concepts
And what are modern programming concepts? OoP is trash.

unemployment.

>wanting to work for someone else

based and proceduralpilled

source? pc98 is damn aesthetic

Not sure but here's the pic before 90 hours in mspaint

Attached: retro vg.png (480x300, 23K)

thanks user. your pixelart skills are impressive

Hope you're watching the lectures too.
They're they absolute best.
archive.org/details/MIT_Structure_of_Computer_Programs_1986/

Attached: computerscience1451435773637.gif (320x240, 2.42M)

sure am

Attached: sicpwizard.png (1452x1070, 1.7M)

Holy shit 1986, why are you guys watching and reading something so outdated?

Because it's as relevant as ever.
Very little has changed since then with regards to the art of problems solving using computers, and I've yet to see a better introductory course anywhere.
And maybe if you all were paying attention back then, things wouldn't be so disgusting and terrible today.

I deeply miss the days when at least 2/3rds of Jow Forums had watched these and worked through the book.

Do I have to read this if i want to be a software engineer?

Also do I need to know math or programming, serious question, I'm going to self teach myself C++

Yes.
I believe calculus was a prerequisite for the class originally, but not having it really shouldn't get in your way. It's an introductory course on programming, you learn lisp along the way.

Okay thanks user, I guess for now I won't take the C++ course since this'll teach me Lisp. I'll just take some random math courses alongside it. I'm pretty sure those Masterclass Udemy shit have learn math if you're retarded courses.

So then watch the show and then read the book or both at the same time? Anything else I should do?

You're gonna need some programming socks.

Any decent free calculus courses?

I was being serious but I'll go buy some anyways

youtu.be/fYyARMqiaag
This man is a God at Calculus.

thanks

Attached: 1539830608951.png (640x473, 481K)

holy turbo chad

Neat

From one beginner to another...

You're gonna need more help than this provides. I'm like 10% in and this is some pretty abstract shit. I don't mean abstract in the way programmers use the word, but abstract in the way normies use it.

Another user suggested a book called The Little Schemer to help learn the syntax. I'm more than halfway through it and it's great. It teaches you Scheme syntax so that you actually learn it, unlike SICP. It also really helps you get practice with recursion and iteration.

I would urge you to consider taking that c++ course. For more than 20 years I have been occasionally trying to get into programming, and what finally did it was taking a c++ class at a community college. I lucked out with a great teacher. The hand-holding I was opportune to took me over the edge and really got me going. Now I'm spending 5+ hours a day on this shit and I don't need no teach.

But yeah... Don't rely on SICP to get you started. I would recommend a c++ book if I knew a good one. Or any language for absolute beginner. But I don't know one. Getting the most basic fundamentals is hard. In the very least get a good book with plenty of exercises.

I've started "C Programming, a Modern Approach" and it's very good. You'll get stuck a few times on some things, but just google the concepts you don't know. I don't know if C is really useful as a language that you'd actually work with, but my understanding is that if you learn C you're well on your way to being a programmer.

Another understanding I have is to be language agnostic. If you know how to program you can learn any language in two weeks. But I've also heard that a beginner should master one language before trying anything else.

I don't know.

You'd probably be just fine to do Scheme while you work through SICP and concurrently learn C or C++. Or Java. Or Python. Fuck.

Thanks for the advice user, I'll take the C++ course after all and I'll follow the rest of your pointers

pun intended?

I already know programming and algorithms. Is there any use for me reading this book?

Yes, few languages blur the line between procedure and data as much as lisp. It will change how you think of programming and higher order functions

>durr, it's old hence it's forcibly unrelevant