/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>i7 9700K - Extreme solution for absolute max FPS
>R7 2700/X - Best value high-end CPU on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper - HEDT

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>RX 570/580 - value.
>1660 - Slightly better perf for more demanding games on high/maxed 60fps+;
>1660Ti / 1070 / Vega56 / 2060 - higher framerates
1440p (WQHD)
>1070Ti / Vega / 2070 - 60-120fps+ in most games on high/maxed
>RTX 2080 / 2080Ti - higher framerates
>Radeon VII - may be considered; needs cooler mod to run quiet
2160p (4k)
>RTX 2080 / Radeon VII - upscale or lower settings
>RTX 2080 Ti, but poor value.

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Don't bother buying a new monitor for gaming unless it's 144Hz with adaptive sync
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

Previous:

Attached: DgDuEEvXcAYWDR0.jpg (827x833, 116K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/2b-wQnBXyP8?t=880
support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02781693#AbT1
youtu.be/5eMl4j_lkTg?t=401
youtu.be/BcL5kbLFBdA?t=120
youtu.be/xlQokQsbKlc?t=49
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Kingston or Sandisk?

>MSI MPG Z390 GP
>i5-9600K
>16 GB 3000 RAM
>2070
You fucking better run 60fps/1440p at medium Cyberpunk 2077

>no AMD
REEE

Adata

Attached: 46092042_219796865592176_225235605949166702_n.jpg (818x818, 72K)

I already have a fan pulling air in through the front of my case and pushing it out through the back, and I want to add another fan on the side. Does it make more sense for the side fan to be pulling air in or pushing it out?

*and another one pushing air out through the back

based op image for once

Yes, even an R5 2600 is a lot better than a 2600k. About 2x the performance overall at vastly lower power consumption.

Sandy/ivy is absolutely not worth it anymore

Why do you hate yourself?

>inb4 6core stutters just like it does on Witcher 3
retard btfos self once against

what's the smallest, best value card that's powered entirely off of PCIE? Just want to upgrade my dad's old 640 next time I visit him.
He doesn't play anything besides old strategy games and watch 480p movie streams, but might as well

retard here, how long do you think the following specs will last me:

-2700x
-h110i cooler on the above
-asus strix rog 1070ti
-16gigs corsair vengance 3000mhz(still have to set it to that tho)
-asus prime x470 mobo

built it in february

another 6 months

is it worth it to spend an additional hundred dollars on a good air cooler just to overclock your cpu? is the improvement that significant?

Stick with the 640. Or get a used 750Ti for like $30.
PCIe only power cards are retardedly overpriced new.

Depends on the CPU.
On Ryzen, you can enable PBO on a $35-$60 cooler and get a few % benefit. Granted you can also just enable PBO on the stock cooler, and though the fan will get audible you can split the performance difference.
For Intel CPUs, you can overclock them more, but power consumption skyrockets as well and you need even better and more expensive coolers.

1650 is the newest, most powerful pcie only card and costs ~$150 new

Ryzen 2400G

Overclocking is more of a hobby really. 5%-30% performance difference depending on the brand and CPU.
You can get above medium overclocks even with 212.
No reason to spend too much if you're not sure what you're getting into.
>inb4 6core stutters just like it does on Witcher 3
Huh? What are you talking about? Even 4 cores i5 can run it fine with 60 FPS.

It will last as long as your needs dictate it.

>is the improvement that significant?
Usually, no. If the default all core turbo is 4.5 and you OC to 5.0ghz, that's only a 11.1% performance gain. Definitely not worth the hundreds spent on the cooler.

mainly built it to play new games and fool around in blender, i should have been more specific

depends personally whatever resolution im at as long as it gets over 60fps im content

If AMD just made a 1080ti but cheaper they could dominate, but noooooooo

Attached: just make a 1080ti AMD.jpg (1147x644, 154K)

It will last a long time if all you use it for is 1080p @ 60hz

I don't get it, what did he mean by this? By the way I own that ram at it's actually based, great for overclocking.

Attached: file.png (873x351, 41K)

It's all because they fell for the hbm meme

hbm is superior

I bought a 2700X instead of a 2700 and I want to overclock. Was buying an X retarded? Reading reddit people are saying getting an X only makes sense if you're not willing to overclock.

For 60fps
2700x. My bet is 8-10 years.
1070ti. 2-3 years maybe? Next gen consoles are coming soon
16gigs corsair vengance 3000mhz. Would probably have to give it a few more Gb in a few years.

Not when it comes to shipping a price competitive product
They should've spent their budget fixing gcn way before navi

personally im satisfied with 1080p 60fps for now although ive been getting into blender recently and that might need better stuff.

They didn't fall for HBM meme, they literally needed to use HBM to make their dog shit architecture perform anywhere close to not embarrassing.
it is, but it's shit if it's used to keep a shit architecture afloat.

I don't use Blender but I can't imagine it being incredibly hardware intensive that you need to use Threadripper CPUs or the upcoming R9 Zen 2 CPUs with 16 cores. Otherwise for games it is more than fine with even CPU heavy games and maybe even streaming along the way, although if FPS is a focus then you could have went for an i9, but common sense often prevails for a 2700X instead.

You good on that for a few years before you can swap to a R5 3XXX for better perf for less watt or even more perf, same with GPU. Just don't go 1440p ultra on that or 4k

don't overclock
buying X is always worth it because you get XFR
which i guarantee will overclock the CPU automatically better than you ever can

^This. X also has a better fan so it can sustain XFR better than other processors

That is reasonable, if this rig lasts me even 5 years i'll be satisfied to be honest, it is my first ever build after all...

Leave the x version to it's own device and it will clock higher than the non x variant 95% of the time.

waiting for navi general

youtu.be/2b-wQnBXyP8?t=880
Reminder AMD bybassed retail and sold directly to mining operations while starving their gaming market for a quick profitable buck.
But amd drones will blame nvidia, intel and literally anybody but AMD for fucking up the GPU market share in gaming.

>idiotic AMD shill at it again

Welp, looks like the OP needs to be fixed again next thread.

So... is RTX just a meme or really the future?
asking for friend

What scared me a bit is I wanted to see how Metro Exodus ran yesterday(1080p). It ran real smooth however the temp on the GPU kind of freaked me out(maxed out at 77°C), the Ryzen didn't really give a shit, it was maxed out at 56°C. Maybe it was because it was a bit hotter than usual in my room, which is small, or the airflow was poor... I don't know to be honest.

>gotta shill for ReTurdX

Pic related is OP.

Attached: amdfanboy.jpg (1280x720, 143K)

Real time raytracing is the future but by the time the future is here your RTX gen 1 card is going to be horrendously outdated.

Rate my build:
2700X
2080 (Zotac ZT-T20800G-10P)
MSI B450I Gaming Plus AC
G.SKILL 3200 MHz F4-3200C14D-16GFX (8 GB x 2) Flare X Series
Crucial MX500 500GB SSD
Seasonic Modular Prime Focus (80 + Platinum) 850 Watts

Pic related are the only items that haven't arrived yet but I can take the abuse. Pretty sure the power supply is way more powerful than I need but something online said you want it to be a few hundred more watts than you'd think. Still have anxiety something won't be compatible.

Attached: file.png (1162x1790, 537K)

I hope this guy becomes a Jow Forums meme. I've been watching his stuff lately and he's an interesting and depressing character.

Hey idiot, AMD cards will always be a niche only AMD fanboys like yourself are loyal to. Nvidia still has far better drivers and software and they still win like 80% of the gaming benchmarks.

Only retards and AMD loyalists would ever purchase an AMD Graphics Card. It gets even worse when it comes to professional 3D software and GPU accelerated rendering.

that's fine. Pascal has a hard limit of 84c by default which can be raised to 90c using msi afterburner.

Temps usually differ from game to game as some games are more intensive, requiring the gpu to use more power to hit the target framerate.

People who play at higher resolutions and high framerates usually have higher temps for this reason. The gpu has to work harder to hit the target fps.

sure why not what they didnt tell you is it wont be VIABLE till like 3-4 generations after this one

AMD shills are fucking cringe

support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02781693#AbT1

What does it mean in the storage specifications when it says "Up to 1TB" or "Up to 300gb"? Are there literally limits on the maximum capacity HDD/SSDs??

What's a good cheap (

Don't tell me you actually think intel is an option in 2019?

Attached: 746.png (1920x1080, 1.31M)

>2700x, rtx2080 and 3200c14
>b450
Why people skimp on the motherboard baffles me

F-FUCK YOU! BUY A FUCKING VEGA ALREADY!

Attached: 1454176825668.jpg (653x726, 243K)

That just says game obviously taxes GPU more than CPU. If it bothers you that bad maybe tinker around with settings that it might give both of your components a decent run of 60c degrees something. But do that after checking ventilation in room, blow all dust and don't bother removing cover

Radeon VII is a better 1080Ti but [purchasable new]

>it's AMD's fault that Nvidia didn't make enough GPUs to sell to consumers and 1070 prices skyrocketed from $320 to $550 in 2017
Mental illness

I love AMD

>intel
AMD fanboy OP is shilling high end AMD graphics cards, notable the VII for 4K.

If you don't think that's obvious shilling, you're just as braindead loyal to AMD as the OP.

That board is fine.

yes yes, buy returdx good goy, it just works

>Radeon VII is a better 1080Ti
lmao it is 5% slower at 1080p/1440p and equal to the 1080ti at 4k

>skimp
Not the person you're replying to, but I bought that same board based on this chart. I don't know how reliable the chart is though.

Attached: 7n48gewun0p21.png (1069x1833, 212K)

Why would you get Nvidia instead of AMD for Blender?

What bugs me is the real anemic graphics options menu, it doesnt give you much to work with... and I really dont wanna make the fans spin at mach speeds again.

wtf is asus doing with their boards

Actually Radeon VII is viable option especially for those that live in Europe since price can be significantly lower compared to Nvidia counterparts that provide same performance
I do not get what you're so mad about

Attached: 11256.1.jpg (3000x3881, 2.53M)

I like how uppon hearing news that amd skipped retail and sold directly to miners to make a quick buck while fucking over gamers is some how the fault of nvidia not making enough GPUS.
Mental illness indeed on your part.

>Radeon VII is a better 1080Ti but [purchasable new]
It's slower, and a lot more hot/loud.
No thanks faggot amd shill.

I might change in the future, I built it primarily for gaming. I did hear AMD cards are better for blender.

I like that in that very same video he does
>is Radeon 7 loud, nooo not at all LISTEN to this for yourself!
>then switches to the nvidia 2080 which is so quiet its basically idle compared to radeon 7

>and don't bother removing cover
Do you mean like the front panel or...? Since I did pull the front panel off because I thought it might get better airflow that way. Theres a good dust filter infront of the radiator fans anyhow so I thought it would be better.

user is mad that he thought AMD would never get close to the 1080Ti.
and then they did.
Then he's grasping to a 3% difference in some cherry picked gaming benchmarks and ignoring the 1080Ti's lack of full DX12 support, worse performance in Blender in almost every other application, worse compute performance, worse fp64, etc.

Vega 56 pretty much equals the 1080Ti in Blender. It's way above the 1070Ti.
And it's around the same as the 1070Ti in games.
If you get a good deal on a used 1070Ti and it has transferable warranty, then it's probably better value in games and similar on Blender, though.

You should get smaller case or larger motherboard.

topkek it's as if his brain shuts off the noise to favor amd

Are you the same user who was warned not to buy that model of 2080?

Yeah, that's strange as fuck. Typical 2080 nvidiot buyer I guess.

>Be Quiet Dark Rock 4
>Noctua NHD14
I don't care how it looks, so which would be more ideal?
Also, I've got a 2x8GB 2400MHz CL14 kit, looking at upgrading to a faster 32GB kit just to never have to worry about RAM. Should I?

>cherry picked gaming benchmarks
You AMD fanboys always cry about this. The high end Nvidia cards blow the fuck out of the best AMD card in like 80% of games you idiot.

If my motherboard can run an 1800X, would it be safe to assume it could run, for example, a 3700X or better?
Not looking at manually overclocking.
Running an Asus Strix B350F motherboard, at least according to Ayysus, it'll be compatible with Zen2. I know VRM's might be a little dodgy, but I'm trying to look for a point of reference. I have a 1500X, so I've been trying to use an R7 CPU as a point of reference really.

>DX12 support
Few games worth playing even support dx12/vulkan
>worse performance in Blender in almost every other application
irrelevant for most gamers
>worse compute performance
irrelvant for most gamers if it doesn't improve fps
>worse fp64
see above

youtu.be/5eMl4j_lkTg?t=401
Listen to this shit. Notice how fucking quiet the 2080 is you can't even hear it over the case fans.
But noooo radeon 7 isn't loud at all, the free vacuum in your room is VALUE
youtu.be/BcL5kbLFBdA?t=120

You know why? YOU KNOW WHY?
Because AMD fags only compare AMD gpus to AMD GPUS, nvidia "is made by the jews so it doesn't exist"
So when they compare if radeon 7 is "loud" then compare it to something like R 290 which is another loud as fuck card from amd youtu.be/xlQokQsbKlc?t=49

I'll keep that in mind if i ever intend to upgrade.

Just mount a fan to blow the vrms and you can use it no problem

Learning about motherboards would take hours so I just relied on the infographic from here. Apart from SLI is there any benefit of x470 over b450? Will b450 become outdated quicker?
For comparison the B450I Gaming Plus AC is 120 euro whereas the two other boards in that tier are over 180. Everything in 'Top Tier' is 200+.
I'm that user but I posted two cards, this was the other. I was warned off buying the blower card.

N-nooo goy! please buy AMD datacenter card that is bottom binned and sold of to gamers ot make some profit!
AMD care very much for gamers, which is why they sell the failed abortions they wanted to make for data centers back to gamers.
Which is why they cram compute and other shit into gaming GPUS, it's not like they are scraping off some profit from failed shit, nooo goy only the highest quality gaming gpus for you

>this was the other
Forgot pic

Attached: file.png (1500x1268, 1.18M)

Is i7-9700K worth it just to be more future proof?( 8 cores )
Considering either that or i5-9600k

you are an idiot if you pic motherboards based on numbers and not on actual components used and what it actually offers.
The utterly retarded consumer mindset to think that a NAME is the most important thing.

yup get the 9700k and use it for 5-7years.

>Learning about motherboards would take hours so I just relied on the infographic from here. Apart from SLI is there any benefit of x470 over b450? Will b450 become outdated quicker?
Your particular board is fine as it has solid VRMs. x470 is amd's premium offering and thus have the most features of all am4 chipsets. But none of those features matter if you don't use them.

stop shiling for AMD, the only good thing they have done is some sort of competition, Intel and nvidia are still king for everything

>won't have to worry about upgrading RAM
>as if DDR5 isn't coming soon
lol? What do you think the "4" means in DDR4? "4inal revision"?

>I'm that user but I posted two cards, this was the other. I was warned off buying the blower card.
Should have gotten neither and gotten one that's not shit.

9600k is not worth getting for any reason. It already struggles in some games that were released before the CPU was, and it'll only get worse. It would be like buying a 2500k in 2015.

typical "advisers" in this thread lately, really. A lot of them are just plain trolling.

>future proof?
get moar cores and moar ram

>9700k
>Kraken 52
>gigabyte aorus pro
>Carbide spec 06 or NZXT H500
>16gb of ram 3200mhz CL 14

yay or no ? I'm keeping my PSU and graphics card

This desu. They even know they can't compete in the PC market so they use all their money to push consoles and basically killing PC gaming

>intelshitter talking shit about wendell

Attached: 1544409513484.jpg (690x588, 79K)

yeh bro im really hurting from my missed 5-15 fps lmao

Attached: 1826348612.gif (640x266, 3.26M)

>4inal revision
I have doubts it would've been the final revision of DDR, but what tangible benefits are there for 5 > 4?

>Intcel
>Watercooling

Buy the 2700X. Its only a 5% difference in performance and 50% cheaper

>Should have gotten neither and gotten one that's not shit.
Ok frick off. Either explain what's wrong with my card or shut up you jerk.

Is that so?

Attached: 1556281179956.png (2259x1372, 1.87M)

>Kraken 52
Go for a quality air cooler or a corsair aio like the corsair h100i Pro as nzxt's are still using an older 5th gen pump.