/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: rms.jpg (1280x720, 135K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mobile.twitter.com/bcrypt
archimonde.ts.si/archlinux/$repo/os/$arch
sourceforge.net/p/cdesktopenv/wiki/SupportedPlatforms/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

who the blue hair happa qt ?

you just KNOW

It's a trap.

Linux is for trannies. Fuck Linux and fuck trannies.

Install Silverblue 30!

Attached: Fedora-logo.svg.png (2000x2000, 112K)

I think she is a tranny. Can see stubble on her upper lip.

Yan?

Ayo! I have Debian stable and I use sync a lot, but I don't know how it's progressing. For example, when I am transferring files to a USB stick. Is there a command that I can use to see the progress of the file transfer?

Attached: help.jpg (605x737, 29K)

based and redpiled

>fuck trannies.
This.
Boipussy > cispussy

b&r

mobile.twitter.com/bcrypt

Works for brave. Used to work for eff and tor project too iirc

Lincucks BTFO

Isn't this the https-everywhere girl?

My Ubuntu 18.04 server has MySQL running but I don't remember installing it, is it included by default? If not I installed webmin does that use MySQL and maybe would have installed it?

It definitely wasn't webmin. You can check in apt what depends on a certain package, check that.

reminder that based slovenians have the best arch mirror
archimonde.ts.si/archlinux/$repo/os/$arch

I have fedora server 30 installed and connected to the internet. What should I do now?

Attached: 1556160546013.gif (286x286, 525K)

>DNS: 192.168.1.1
Do you have a DNS server on your router? use 8.8.8.8 for (((google dns))) or whatever fotm freedumb dns you want.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda
install gentoo

Yes

Thanks for the help, in the end I'm just a dumbass, checked 'history | grep install' and I did install it I just forgot cause it was like 4am.

How the FUCK can I make pulseaudio play the same audio on every channel?
My soundcard is 5.1 but I don't want the surround faggotry, I just want it to put out the absolute same ass normal stereo to every output.
At the moment only "front" sound normal, all others are either kinda fucked in the frequency band (probably the supposed woofer channel) or are kinda fucked in the stereo image and/or are quieter despite every channel on same volume in alsamixer.

halp

Attached: 14423857252.jpg (2000x1762, 218K)

Set your card config to be stero

Install pavucontrol, run it as your normal user, navigate to the last panel and set it to "Analogue stereo duplex".

What is the best directory to mount your partitions? Is there a convention? Thunar mounts them in /run/media by default. Also how should I name them, sda3, sda4 etc. or by their UUID?

It's your system, mount them where ever you want them to that makes sense

There has to be a recommendation at least.

Where
Ever
You
Want
It
To
Be

If you're a glutton for punishment and want to type 10 folder deep paths each t ime go for it
If you want quick and easy do it one path down

Thanks but the closest I have to that in the list is "Analog Surround 2.1" and when activated only the "front" outputs have sound.
I run my headphones from the front output, my hifi stereo on the "rear" outputs and PC speakers on the third pair of chinch connectors.
They all should just put out the same stereo sound like the "front" does but I can't figure out how. Tried some remapping stuff in the daemon config file but that does literally nothing

Attached: p.gif (495x583, 21K)

Oh and the popdown list is for the soundcard I use, the third one, not the Nvidia memes that I don't use.

>fuck trannies
I already did this week

thanks now i can launch my music player from the panel menu with one click

how do I shitpost from the command line?

Not how audio works

What could possibly be so physically impossible to have literally the same output coming from all channels?

When you pick 2.1 pulse/alsa is going to configure the audio stream to be 2.1 on the output. If you have audio that is only 2.1, only 2.1 is being used. If you set the card to be 7.1 and your audio stream is not 7.1, it wont be 7.1, it will be what ever the audio stream is
Some hardware has emulation to take a 2.1 and emulate it to 7.1 but its not going to blast on every output if your audio is only 2.1
If its not encoded to be 5.1/7.1 nothing will output outside of the main line out

Based

Years ago I used Debian 4 on another PC for quite some time, but the video drivers were crap and I couldn't run anything. I was away for a few years using only Windows something like 4 years ago, I bought a new PC and started using linux again, but jumping between Fedora, Opensuse and Ubuntu, and two years ago, I settled with Mint

In Mint I can use the most updated Mesa drivers and I can play pretty much everything I have in Steam + emulators. The system easily recognizes my Xbox control.

I was thinking of giving Debian another chance. How is video driver support today? If works on Mint will work on Debian, right?

Attached: 140842654074.png (467x413, 156K)

Ah, alright, good explanation.
So that means I should keep it on 2.1 and look for ways to copy remap the front to all other channels.

You might be able to mirror one output to the others using a "Monitor" but i've never fucked around with those to any extent.
JACK might also has similar options

>the cis meme
It's called "normal", filthy faggot

Attached: AndersonAngry.gif (628x628, 1.23M)

Yeah I thought about going full JACK but since most applications use pulseaudio and this PC is supposed to be my normal main machine I tried to avoid fucking around with it too much and kinda hoped this wouldn't be this much of a big deal.

It should be the exact same, assuming you use debian sid.

do you guys use an archive viewer? which one?

xarchiver or from mc.

How in God's name do I change de default shortcut for screenshots in GNOME? I changed in the settings but it doesn't really change anything.

Attached: bang.png (1146x720, 912K)

Oh, i see. I think I will stay with mint.

What other option i have for more recent packages and good suport for Mesa drivers and games?

Attached: 1433934359326.jpg (1280x720, 60K)

unironically gentoo

Always use UUID.

I saw a cutie chilling at an art museum (Mia) and noticed an Arch sticker on his laptop, but I didn't go chat because I was with a date and thought it might be rude. Do you think he would have shown me his programming socks?

You're in the wrong board, nigger. This is Jow Forums. We dress as ladies and wear programming socks. Jow Forums is a trans board.

Not all of us are trans girls. Some of us are gay otters.

Attached: 🍑🍆.png (667x667, 227K)

Can I plant my seed in her

what distros support CDE (common desktop environment)?

sourceforge.net/p/cdesktopenv/wiki/SupportedPlatforms/

the instructions to upgrade to debian testing are this:

1. Edit your /etc/apt/sources.list file, changing 'stable' (or the current codename for stable) to 'testing' (or the current code name for the next stable release).

2. Remove or comment out your stable security updates line(s) (anything with security.debian.org in it).

3. Remove or comment out any other stable-specific lines, like *-backports or *-updates.

4. Verify that your installation is not fixed to a specific release in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/00default-release

I'm wondering why it's telling me not to use testing security and testing-updates when those directories actually exist on debian's server. anybody know?

thanks

Been having a time and a half setting up wifi on my first gentoo install. I set it up using the laptops ethernet, all worked well, now that it's time to make it so both devices work I'm a little stumped.

I'm fairly sure it has to do with my net.lo thing I made a link for. How the fuck do I add a device too it? Or better yet make a link like when I set up the net.enp12s0. So am I supposed to add the extra info to the the net.lo and make a link to a new net.*? I'm really confused and I think I'm too stupid to understand what the handbook meant by making a second device. The iwlist scan/iwconfig makes it seem like its working, but in lshw -C network, It says it's disabled and has a physical id of 0, bus info is all zero's too. Can you help a dude untangle this rat fuck?

Attached: 1513860136953.jpg (3840x2160, 1.25M)

It's like 50/50 Rightleaning bois and weirdo cross dressing bois who are such failures as men they resort to feminizing themselves into caricatures of why self awarness is so important.

Attached: S2lGL18N.png (270x270, 144K)

On my laptop, I need access to both Windows- and Linux-specific programs. Do I...
>install Windows use WSL
>install Linux, use a VM
>dualboot
Power management and battery runtime is a concern. AFAIK there is no good ThrottleStop alternative for Linux, or is there?

dunno what wsl is, but I dual boot, VM, and install cygwin

>weirdo cross dressing bois who are such failures as men they resort to feminizing themselves
That's hot.

Not really, it's sad, and we should be trying to help these people. Like that thinkpad kid who's now a "trap". You need positive male influences, not to throw in the towel and dive into mental illness. It's just disgusting defeatism. It's what happens when your world view becomes warped by looking at everything behind a screen. Like I'd honestly be willing to try and help these dudes find themselves again and accept their male identities. These guys need our help, not to be prayed on and get intoxicated off this weird attention.

Being a crossdressing twink is much better than getting stuck with a fat woman and eventually autistic kids.

But they are hot.
Depends on the software you need.

Attached: 20 - xtuPTWZ.png (214x221, 96K)

Based.

Attached: 1554985059841.png (590x350, 283K)

what's the best kde distro? i'm kinda fine with kde neon but sometimes settings' window glitch out, i would be fine with an older version of kde for less bugs

That's just KDE, can't be helped..

Is that Stallman's third-world child bride?

so isn't just the 5.15 or whatever the latest is?

The latest releases of KDE tend to be more stable. Using older versions won't help you.

That's a warped world view that doesn't reflect reality. You think you can just become that woman in some lala land? You can't You're a man. Be a cross dresser or have children and get married?? What the fuck is wrong with you, the only person who made it a binary one or the other thing is you.

.t married dude

I like Yan

>.t married dude
I'm so sorry.

>it's sad
No, sanctimonious bastards like yourself who think you're better than us are sad.
>we should be trying to help these people
No you shouldn't, fuck off. Seek help for yourself instead.
>You need positive male influences
You'd be surprised how many of us have had strong dads. Maleness isn't as positive as you think it is.
>mental illness
Your Messiah complex is a mental illness. We are just enjoying our life. And you are just jealous because you can't seem to have as much fun as we have.
>their male identities
I think we've had enough of your venomous, violent and warmongering maleness.
>These guys need our help, not to be prayed on and get intoxicated off this weird attention.
Stop flattering yourself. We don't need anything from you. Nor your help, nor your attention.
>That's a warped world view that doesn't reflect reality
You know jack shit about our reality. Piss off.

Attached: Mr._Rogers_middle_finger.jpg (156x156, 6K)

No, I think I can be a cute twink and/or otter. Mostly the latter recently, because fuzz is cute and seems to be keeping me cool at home so I save money on air conditioning

>.t married dude
You're gonna have a son and he's gonna be a crossdresser and you're gonna have a rude awakening, bucko.

lmao, kys tranny. No one's falling for your astroturfing.

Friendly thread.

Pretty sure most here are just queer cis dudes. Programming socks are not inherently feminine. They're just cute.

Ive been trying to use wubi to install Ubuntu, but everytime I run it I get an error that says that the thread specified cannot be located? Does anyone know how to fix this, I want to get off windows 10

Friendly Linux, not friendly trannies. Fuck off.

Wrong. It's just a loud minority as always. Mental ill people love attention.

What I meant is a majority of that loud minority is queer cis dudes who just want to be cute men, not girly girls.

You're the only one making loud posts as if to seek attention here. Stop disturbing the thread.
The fact of the matter is: we are confident and don't care what you think. You are jealous of us because we're free from your chains: you live trapped in constant concerns about what others are thinking about you, which is why you worry so much about being manly and is so scared of being yourself. There's nothing wrong about just doing what you like and looking pretty.
You talk about reality, but you care more about what people think about you than about reality per se.

>being this desperate to tell yourself everything's and project back

Why are you just lying thou? Why do all you traps have cuts up and down your arms all too often? Why are your suicide rates so damn high? It's not okay dude.

Attached: 1475212434037.png (367x319, 174K)

It's not disgusting defeatism, those people exist whether we like it or not and it's just simpler and more mature to accept and respect.
You're accomplishing nothing but derailing the thread. Nobody here cares about how the posters in the thread dress, we care about what useful GNU/Linux information they have to add to the thread.
>Why are your suicide rates so damn high?
Why are men's suicide rates higher than women's?
According to your logic, it must be because being male is "not okay".
But the reality is that it's not thanks to anything inherent, but due to societal pressure. It's because they're under constant pressure to be manly. Which is why toxic masculinity is so wrong.
We have higher suicide rates because of people like you constantly being verbally violent against us. What do you gain from being like that?

I mean you can be a cute dude, hell I strive to be good looking too. Homosex is wrong, but I'm not going to tilt at that windmill. The thing is you're not dressing as a girl, or if you do you take it at face value that it's just being a sexual deviant(maybe a little mentally ill) and not some kind of identity and messing with your bodies chemistry.

Nice cope. I don't care and I don't think anyone other than Jow Forumstards care about who you are or what you "think" you are. I care about having to share a board with a bunch of retards that can't keep their mouth shut about their mental illness, the same retards who always end up derailing threads and killing discussion with their bullshit. If you didn't want attention, no one would even know that you are are a tranny or whatever you are. This is a technology board, if you want to discuss your sexuality, is right there.

>Homosex is wrong
No. Prejudice is wrong.

Can i install gnome over my xfce spin on fedora, uninstall xfce, and continue as if i got the original workstation?

Toxic masculinity is a buzzword phrase with no real value in a good faith conversation. Society has always been male oriented with us having to take the brunt of stress and death. This is unrelated to the metric of men "transitioning" and having an untimely death. Men are just different from women, and there is literally nothing wrong with setting standards to help influence a productive society. Life's hard, being a dude is hard. I know damn well what your talking about, but taking the easy way out and cargo-culting being a woman? That's not the answer I think most young men really need. YOU want me to accept you and respect me, there is no universal mature thing to do. That's a spook and you know damn well it is.

I did ask a GNU/Linux question it was just ignored. Any good with gentoo and wifi tranny friend?

Attached: sips1.jpg (750x843, 64K)

Prejudice is a natural survival instinct.

take your tranny convo to pol and please answer my noob question:) Is it gonna mess up and config files or anything? theyre both gtk...

>Can i install gnome over my xfce spin on fedora
Yes. The "spins" don't have any magic specific to them at all, it's just a different set of pre-installed packages. You can install any Fedora spin and add KDE and GNOME and Xfce and whatever else you want and you can remove a desktop or a program without concern.

If you have LightDM it should let you just switch from different environments. I googled and it seemed easy enough to just uninstall xfce, I don't think that will remove the dependencies they share. Good luck.

i thought they had some magic to them, thanks. im just gonna go to a tty for the operation and get gdm anywyay

I have an audio interface (line6 UX2) and whenever I plug it into my desktop or laptop (running different distros and sound systems) the same messages pop up in dmesg and no audio will come out of the interface, even if it's picked up as a device by pulseaudio or discord or whatever.

[26505.512356] toneport_init+0x99/0x21b [snd_usb_toneport]
[26505.512362] ? line6_toneport_disconnect+0x60/0x60 [snd_usb_toneport]
[26505.512433] snd_usb_toneport 3-4:1.0: receive length failed (error -11)
[26505.513232] snd_usb_toneport 3-4:1.0: read request failed (error -32)
[26505.513235] snd_usb_toneport 3-4:1.0: write request failed (error -11)
[26505.516360] snd_usb_toneport 3-4:1.0: Line 6 POD Studio UX2 now attached
[26505.516383] usbcore: registered new interface driver snd_usb_toneport

It works perfectly fine on the same machine booted into Windows, though, so it's specifically a Linux problem. Any idea how to fix it?

I've got to make a simple if-then statement that is conditional on a string not being a file.

Eg like
if [ -f /path/to/file ]
then
echo "I'm Bart Simpson, who the hell are you"
fi
Except it should only say "I'm Bart Simpson etc" if the string isn't a file.