"Use an Optiplex, bro"

Is this a meme? Don't the PSU's just die because they're already at their limit out of the box?

Attached: Baby Machine.jpg (1500x1500, 175K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Dell-9010-Performance-Professional-Refurbished/dp/B07855CCP5/ref=sr_1_9?crid=3A5TK47ORE77W&keywords=refurbished desktop&qid=1556921169&s=gateway&sprefix=refurbished deskt,aps,165&sr=8-9
amazon.com/ZOTAC-GeForce-DisplayPort-128-bit-ZT-P10510A-10L/dp/B01MCU1ERO/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3LSTVLKZV1NU0&keywords=1050ti&qid=1556921194&s=gateway&sprefix=1050ti,aps,165&sr=8-1-spell
techspot.com/review/1816-asrock-deskmini-a300/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

> Is this a meme?
It's the small form factor memes.

It's also still the meme where normal people buy powerful machines for facebook browsing and still worry that they're not fast enough to do that.

> Don't the PSU's just die because they're already at their limit out of the box?
Wat, why would they?

I've been looking at their spec sheets on Dell's site and most of these things come in at 180W or like 210W. I'd imagine even a 75W 1030 would stress the PSU too much, right?

Office SFF meme cases aren't generally meant for GPU and gaymen.

Although I'd guess many could theoretically take a lower-end card, you actually just use these with the installed mainboard and iGPU of the APU, the only thing you tend to do anything about ever is the RAM or storage. You're also generally not repairing or reusing them if the mainboard breaks out of warranty.

*some* optiplex PCs have regular SFX PSUs. Some thinkcentres too.

In general having a discrete GPU on a SFF case is a rather doubtful proposal. Installation issues and thermal issues could easily happen.

Just get a cube case if you want gaymen beyond what an CPU with an integrated GPU can do (which is actually quite a lot).

nigga small factor GPUs are a thing, and they barely produce any heat. Some of them don't even have fans.

I'm sure something like a 1050ti would fit and be a large improvement over the integrated graphics

People give too little credit to PSUs
A 1030 would absolutely be fine in a SFF optiplex
Dells usually have pretty decent PSUs and it’s not like there is a whole lot else to power besides the CPU and GPU and even then they only really suck power under load

not everyone is into the higher res and fps for the higher res and fps meme. optiplex with 1050 is fine for most things

Again, if the iGPU doesn't do the job, build a gaymen cube with a real GPU.

There's no magical GPU that will not produce heat but perform far better than an iGPU.

> I'm sure something like a 1050ti would fit and be a large improvement over the integrated graphics
It'll add 75W of heat without REALLY doing all that much more than a Ryzen 2400g's Vega 11 or some such.

Really: If you want gaymen, put a normal gaymen CPU/GPU setup into a cube case, avoid basically all the issues that you might get with heat, the PSU, the installation of the GPU, ...

You aren't gonna fit a 1050Ti into an USFF version because it has no standard expansion slots, while tower and SFF Optiplexes come with 250-300W power supplies.

Attached: Capture.png (1095x635, 278K)

>There's no magical GPU that will not produce heat but perform far better than an iGPU.

A GT 1030 (especially the GDDR5 version) will be a big improvement over any Intel iGPU you can find in an Optiplex, especially older ones from the 3rd gen. It will allow you to actually play some games.

Attached: avg.png (513x230, 5K)

If you are using linux and just want something for shitposting then they can be found dirt cheap locally.

> over any Intel iGPU you can find in an Optiplex, especially older ones from the 3rd gen
They still do some games, but if you need anything better of course I simply suggest to avoid the Dell Optiplex?

Seriously why buy these out of all the gazillion PCs on the market if the core components are not what you need?

its the median between oblivious premade shoppers and overspec build all autists.

This. I'm smart enough to know, "GAYMEN RGB FORTNITE BUNDLE" at BestBuy is over-priced garbage with shitty components.

Optiplexes have nice cases and power supplies, and can often be bought cheap from companies that upgrade their stuff. Adding a GPU is situational, an i5/i7 Optiplex with a 1030 can be cheaper or more expensive than a new 2400G build depending on the deals you can get.

> can often be bought cheap from companies that upgrade their stuff
That isn't special for Optiplexes either; you could get this with any kind of computer, including more appropriate ones.

Also in the absence of any especially tempting deals, even new computers are cheap and more readily available.

Well, consumer prebuilts tend to be shittier and buying a custom PC secondhand is kind of a lottery. But sure, you can also get a Thinkcentre, Esprimo, ProDesk, etc. - Dells just tend to be more numerous and a bit better engineered when it comes to disassembly and servicing.

My pc used to be an optiplex, but now only the cpu is left
My brother has one with a GTX 1050ti.

People sell them for dirt cheap on eBay and local trading groups.

>Don't the PSU's just die because they're already at their limit out of the box?
not in my experience managing a few dozen of them

Attached: idk.jpg (810x780, 70K)

Using optiplex from 2007 on my daily job, it just works. Only added SSD, nothing more, still c2d cpu, 4gb memory, intel vga, but it is enough for work and browsing Jow Forums

>get new Optiplexes at work
>hey these are pretty fast
>a year later
>they're slow as shit and take forever to do fucking anything
>suffer for a few more years until IT gets the approval to upgrade everyone
>the cycle repeats
Why does this happen even though the software doesn't really change?

I have had even tinier boxes. Their PSU doesn't die.

I use this qt at work and it's more than good enough for everything I do at work. Probably good enough 90% of the shit I use a PC for at home too

Attached: 899883-843807-800.jpg (800x355, 34K)

I'm using a 990 SFF with a 1050Ti, works fine for me.
I'd like to overclock the processor though, the heatsink is so fucking massive the i7 2600 never goes above 70c even at full load

>Is this a meme? Don't the PSU's just die because they're already at their limit out of the box?

amazon.com/Dell-9010-Performance-Professional-Refurbished/dp/B07855CCP5/ref=sr_1_9?crid=3A5TK47ORE77W&keywords=refurbished desktop&qid=1556921169&s=gateway&sprefix=refurbished deskt,aps,165&sr=8-9

amazon.com/ZOTAC-GeForce-DisplayPort-128-bit-ZT-P10510A-10L/dp/B01MCU1ERO/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3LSTVLKZV1NU0&keywords=1050ti&qid=1556921194&s=gateway&sprefix=1050ti,aps,165&sr=8-1-spell

Next time do your own shopping, faggot

Some of us don't appreciate Jewtel's laughable processor graphics

Go back to /v/

>SFF being worked on this weekend
HP 6300 SFF (can be had for $100 at newegg or less elsewhere)
Win 7 key but getting Linux love installed
i5-3570 3.4 GHz gen 3 CPU
4x DDR3 bays filled with 4gb sticks
1030 2gb GDDR5 video card
5.25 optical bay modified to slim optical and 2 2.5 hot swap drive bays for 120gb SSD and 320gb HDD
3.5 internal will have a WD Blue 4TB drive
Debate is still out on installing a low profile USB card and putting in a USB 3.0 front slot using the 3.5 bay

Nor do I but I don't game at work

Go back to Telaviv, Intel

You've already outed yourself as a gaymer. That you have the gall to keep spewing is unsurprising, yet still depressing.

>1030 2gb GDDR5 video card
y tho
ivy bridge igpu is alright and the 1030 is garbage
also the single ssd is enough, a 320gb hdd is dumb when even 240gb ssds are cheap now

You've already outed yourself as a jewtel employee. That you have the gall to keep kvetching is unsurprising, yet still depressing.

bloat

True enough, the thing is the following items were free from various jobs. With linux I like to make my SSD root folders for OS and then the /home/ folders the standard HDD. My window boxes and laptops get the larger SSDs.
6300 SFF
i5
16GB of ddr3
2.5 120gb ssd
2.5 320gb hdd

Attached: 1556473789724.jpg (3840x2400, 943K)

They have to deal with people that not only don't use adblockers but actively click into anything virotic.

>Why does this happen even though the software doesn't really change?

Da'Shaunda and Tyquaan in HR and the Janitor's office downloading trojans from Roots and Worldstar

>ivy bridge igpu is alright and the 1030 is garbage

I don't think you realize how garbage that iGPU is.
GT 1030 (GDDR5) is 2-4 times faster than UHD 630 in the latest Intel processors, which has 24 cores, while HD 2500 only has 6 slower cores.

My reason of the 1030 over the 1050ti is a cost factor mostly. sff = low profile only cards. Having a sff also limited me to power from slot only. The 1030 in GDDR5 won out based on pure cost and performance needs. There is 1030 that use normal DDR that are complete and total shit. This system is to replace my currently being typed on C2D linux desktop with PCLinuxOS. I plan to install MX Linux and look into gaming options using strictly linux environment as well as later Virtualbox setup for older windows environments. This may happen with a add-on low profile SATA card with more of my 120 gb 2.5 SSDs being tossed into play. Honestly have most parts to build 3 of these already minus the GPU and other low profile cards.

Attached: hobbies.png (461x516, 428K)

Seems like a fun project.

Attached: 1474604386518.jpg (200x252, 10K)

Probably a software issue

Many people over complicate or cause huge cost on things. Sure I have 0 balance credit cards I can toss 3 1050ti cards on but that doesnt serve the purpose of what I am doing. It is to enjoy making things that were never intended in the first place out of solid parts available. I'll make my own thread documenting its building when I do it just for others to see what you can do with almost nothing.

Godspeed, i went with the 1050Ti and ended up with .

>Don't the PSU's just die because they're already at their limit out of the box?
dude wtf?

Honestly not shill here: thank god for the AM4 desk minis. We can now abandon the intarded insecure trashheaps with "I can run minecraft at 480p on low settings at 30 fps at best and maybe 480p 30fps youtube videos" integrated graphics.

techspot.com/review/1816-asrock-deskmini-a300/

Attached: Screenshot_20190503-190913(1).jpg (720x663, 262K)

Are the mobos on these mATX, ITX or something custom? I mean, could I just buy one of these and slap a ryzen 2400g on it?

Deskmini is going to be more expensive than a used business desktop. You can get a whole desktop with CPU, RAM, and storage for the price of the Deskmini alone. It's also moderately more expandable. Bad choice for value.
>But games!
A used business desktop with a discrete GPU thrown in will perform better. And it's still cheaper.

those are cute commodities but you can just put the same 2200g on a itx case and will cost you less while performing the same

Attached: 1_500.jpg (500x500, 15K)

>and maybe 480p 30fps youtube videos
Intel (and Nvidia) GPUs have better support for Youtube and 4k video playback generally, whether local or streaming.
AMD's drivers are garbage when it comes to acceleration. You can't even get Netflix to run properly.

Thing is, we all have a hodge podge of computer parts unless you are entirely green so what becomes the most economical use of your next dollarydoo is different for everybody.

I have:
- a TB3 monitor
- an egpu
- kb, mouse

It's unironically smarter for me to buy a nuc or even a mac mini if I had to use macos. It doesn't matter that an optiplex with a 4590 is a complete package and cheaper - I am not starting from square one. I literally already have a 4590 from an old build. I'm probably gunna sell it for pennies. Well, like $50 or some shit.

I dunno. Depends what you wanna use it for. Got one since November, threw in a 1050ti, 16GB of RAM, two 2TB hard drives along the SSD, and a few extras.
Haven't had issues so far, but it might be too soon for me to shill for one.

Attached: IMG_20181205_165651759.jpg (1836x3264, 1.32M)

Where do you fit the 2nd hard drive in there? Unless you are using 2 2.5in hard drives

i upgraded my optiplex 790 with a 3rd gen i3 2c4t @3.4ghz and a gt730 with an added 500gb mini hdd

works great for light gaming and excellent for general use purposes the i3 really makes it snappy

Well get a Prodesk/Elitedesk then. There is a 500W PSU variant (but you must buy the bigger tower type, SFF is no go) which allows you to put a RTX2060 in there.