/spg/ - Smartphone General

Pixel 3a Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker
frequencycheck.com
willmyphonework.net

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/sQbs83pY

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: astolfo_mockup_Case-with-phone_iPhone-78.png (1000x1000, 598K)

Other urls found in this thread:

files.catbox.moe/ub1btp.mp4
celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/dev-bsg/#apk827
amazon.com/Sony-Audiophile-memory-SR-64HXA-premium/dp/B00X1M80YW
reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/debloat
github.com/Saki-EU/XiaomiADBFastbootTools
mobile.twitter.com/oneplus/status/1124358412999983105
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm gonna need the original pic of that case

I filmed some big rat thingies with my chink phone.
files.catbox.moe/ub1btp.mp4

What is the most fun smartphone 150 Eurobucks can buy you? Not as a main phone but for shits and giggles to play with?

I'm looking for some interesting hardware, not interested in specs necessarily. The Blackberry Priv looks like a fun concept with its slider mechanism and its dead cheap on ebay. Or any other Keyboard-Phone. What else is there, that is cheap and not just a black brick of glass?

Attached: dc567y2-c5236632-994d-471b-9436-754e288f1f13.jpg (400x400, 29K)

cute
thanks for sharing

We take ourselves real seriously here.

so it won't be 90hz all the time? What's the point lol, will it be used for bidio games only?

Looks like some sort of possum or whatever, they chill with ducks like that? Cute how the baby swam to its mother.

I'd get a Pixel 3 but it has an abominable battery life and older specs and costs more than the S10E in my country, and for comparison the OP7P costs less than the S10E
the 90hz thing won't be a problem, seemingly. If Gcam fixes the shitty watercolor photos, if the stereo speakers are legit and if the GPS isn't bunk again I'll get it. It really is the best fagship you can buy.

Does anyone here successfuly use fullscreen gestures + case?
When i put a case on, it completely prevents me from doing the "back" gesture

>What's the point
I guess it'll run at 90hz when you're interacting with the phone like opening apps and scrolling, or when playing games, to make the phone feel smoother, and when the phone's just displaying a static image, or you're watching a video with 60fps or less it will run at 60hz.

here's what i did: go on ebay and searched for the cheapest "android one" phones. got my used kyocera s4 from japan for $75. pretty basic but i'm having fun dicking around with apps and tweaks that my iphone se wouldn't allow. it even has a lanyard hole!

Attached: ks-s4.jpg (4032x3024, 1.61M)

I hope all the back and forth between 60hz and 90hz won't nuke the battery

>Pixel 3a Edition
You're supposed to change that part

Is the Samsung A70 worth it? What other big screens have an OLED and are priced the same?

Does it have NFC? I need an Android phone for mobile Myki.

Just use your debit card to pay for everything bro

>files.catbox.moe/ub1btp.mp4
wtf are those

I use Apple Pay to pay for shit but our public transport doesn't support Apple Pay or debit/credit cards, just their own dedicated card which takes an entire 90 minutes to top up online which can be a pita as the inspectors will fine you anyway even if you show them the receipt.
Cunts.

Coypu?

Got my Redmi Note 7 in the mail. So far pretty good. Its pretty big tho coming from a 5.8inch phone.
Installed nova launcher. Anything else i should do?

kek

Get rid of the miui apps as they are all pretty shitty and can find better alternatives.

Install GCam
celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/dev-bsg/#apk827

I went into a store and saw the Galaxy S10e
It's so good
Small, nice screen, no bezels, no curved edge bullshit.
It was the first time I've held an Android phone and it felt as good as an iPhone
The Galaxy S10 and S10+ felt like trash compared to that one.

Is it very gimped compared to the big siblings or are the specs, camera etc identical?

Attached: 1353522173681.jpg (399x399, 9K)

Tweak Nova until you have a look you like? You can hide folders as icons if you want a minimal look, just hold the folder, click the pencil and select "Swipe to open folder".
If you listen to music without streaming services, Retro Music Player is nice and highly customizable when it comes to appearances, install GBoard for glide, solid explorer, GCam, Moon Reader Pro for books, podcast app of choice (I like Pocket Casts for sync) and a browser that supports adblock like Samsung's.

>no bezels
I used to get furious at zoomers having such shit taste but that's life, takes all sorts to make the world go round
but imagine thinking holeshit is actually better than bezels or even the regular notch. Fucking lol

Notice how all these wallpapers are designed to hide the camera hole? Samshit knows it's a disgusting design choice. If you have any taste at all you should be immediately repulsed by it but as I said, takes all sorts. If you're okay with it, go for it. There's no hardware shortcomings except some extra cameras.

Attached: groupshot.jpg (800x497, 107K)

>tfw finally got my hands on a somewhat decent Sony phone for a good price
feels good man

Let's create a Jow Forums smartphone infographic for phones that offer the best value. There's issues with just recommending the chinkphone list, as we all know. I have an idea of two parts: the recommendations at different price points and a brand shit list that we should avoid at all cost. I also plan to add tags that are helpful such as (runs MIUI instead of AOSP-like). I'm out of the loop so I need your help. Give me your phone recommendations or suggestions for the infographic and I'll add it to the template.

I wouldn't mind a notch instead of the hole but I don't think there's any other good phone at that size, everything else is huge

Anything is better than disgusting bezels, old man.

Let's get this ball rolling.

Attached: smartphone guide.png (1080x1920, 42K)

LG and apple we should avoid

A40
if you like taking selfies on social media(24 mp front cam)

Attached: samsung_galaxy_a40_1_0.jpg (2000x1125, 297K)

Here we go. Hopefully my GIMP skills will improve will improve over time and this will look nicer.

Attached: smartphone guide.png (1080x1920, 44K)

Recommended: Xiaomi, OnePlus
Avoid: Apple, Samsung, Huawei, LG, Google, Sony, Nokia, Motorola

>tfw I've enjoyed my LG phones

I remember something about them having horrible customer service.

>Recommended: Xiaomi, OnePlus
>Avoid: Apple, Samsung, Huawei, LG, Google, Sony, Nokia, Motorola
Don't listen to this shill

Any chance the Pocophone will drop to ~200-220€ soon?

LOL GOD DAMN IT HAHAHAHAHA

Attached: Screenshot_20190503-143852.png (1440x2560, 381K)

LG bricked my Nexus 5x
Motherfuckers

You ain't seen nothing yet
amazon.com/Sony-Audiophile-memory-SR-64HXA-premium/dp/B00X1M80YW

Attached: sony_premiumsound_02-625x350.jpg (625x350, 50K)

Wait for the samsung m40 ,same internal and screen , way less price plus its smaller than your foot

based and chinkpilled

(posted this in the dying thread on accident)

Got two questions:

1. Is there any way in Android 9.0 to remove the labels from under apps on the home screen without rooting your phone or downloading a custom launcher?
I'm going to be using my phone for work, so I don't want to root it just yet and I don't want to bloat my phone with needless launchers either.

2. My dad has been using a Windows phone for the past 5 years and it finally broke. He only kept using it because its camera was 40MP or something, so he wants the next one he gets to have the best camera as possible.
I did some research on my own and found some phones with at most 20MP cameras, are there any phones with cameras that are close to what he had?

Well the Redmi X or whatever it is will be the Poco 2 and it’s going to be announced on the 15th so I’d definitely wait.

Maybe this would be an improvement. No more specific brand shilling and anti-shilling.

Attached: smartphone guide.png (1080x1920, 50K)

>plug Redmi note 7 into my computer
>says it's charging
>doesn't charge

Attached: 2019-04-24-214423_1920x1080_scrot.png (1241x863, 584K)

only replies you're gonna get here are shitposts and shills

What the fuck happened to /spg/? People here used to know their shit when I came here years back.

Are you sure it's not charging? Charging through USB ports on PC is really slow, IIRC USB 2.0 gives 0.5A and USB 3.0 gives 0.9A at most.

>had an LG V10
>was happy with it for a few years, only complaint is that the battery started going after awhile
>then out of nowhere it goes into a bootloop one day
>literally just bricked for no reason
>I was eventually able to get it to boot long enough to recover the data on it by [spoiler]putting it in the oven for awhile then putting it in the freezer[/spoiler]

I ain't buying LG phones anymore after that shit.

1. If it's not a feature in the stock launcher then you got to change the launcher
2.Huawei P30 Pro

There's a light at the bottom that turns on when it's charging and the battery icon turns green and says charging at the bottom. That happens when it's plugged in but then stops 2 seconds later and the power loses percentage.

Now that you mention it, my V10 did the same.

It was still under warranty so I got a replacement almost right away. Though I just decided to upgrade to the V30 because I had a 'replacement' by which I mean refurbished Droid Turbo and that thing went fucking bonkers on me.

>years back.

There’s your problem, after the doubling of traffic to the site in 2016 the site has went to shit since Jow Forums Incels spread to every board turing everything once good to shit.

Jow Forums is no exception.

I'll make a separate thread dedicated to the guide and see if there are more non-shills interested.

messing around with samsung internet, seems decent. i see you can install an adblocker but ublock isnt available. whats the next best alternative?

noice ty

Why not just plug it into damn outlet instead?

thanks for the tips.
I run into this issue when after installing gcam. Text dosent get way tried different note 7 apks, I am probably just stupid tho.
Cant seem to uninstall the miui apps, wont give me the option.

Attached: gcam text.png (326x136, 48K)

Im looking at the $300-400 range. Is there a reason that Jow Forums stopped shilling the pocophone lately?

>I run into this issue when after installing gcam
Enable "Remove AF data from the screen" in the GCam settings

>Cant seem to uninstall the miui apps
Got to use ADB for that. There's a program for Xiaomi phones that automates most of the process:
reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/debloat
github.com/Saki-EU/XiaomiADBFastbootTools

I'm gonna recommended nu-nokia for the sole reason my $150 aud nokia 1 got the april security update on april 9th.

got s10e yesterday
desu cant tell a difference between those two

between s10e and s7 i meant
the only difference is camera, i literally use a few apps and never play games, so speed is irrelevant
nobody gives a shit, ask the questions

What phone? On Xiaomi Mi Mix 2s and other low bezel phones with a thick case, I've never ever had problems triggering gestures.

For whatever reason xiaomi seems to have the best gestures, they are very easy to trigger and never fail.

>Galaxy S8
>LG V30

Leaning towards the V30 just because I've seen some pretty good battery life compared to the meh battery life on the S8. But I will say that the S8 looks like a better experience.

Can't you just reach for S9 instead?

There's just better phones now. I wouldn't buy any big notch phone now when the water drop cameras are available.

Extremely based
Shoo

What a loser. There's only a handful of phones everyone should buy.

the camera is the only reason to upgrade a phone, s7 is still great and camera is good too for the price

I was trying to spend a max of $300. Is the S9 that much better than the S8 that it warrants the extra $70ish?

>use same hardware as Huashit
>modify gcam and pass it off as your own
there, now every flagship has a top tier camera. Why can't they do this? Some nerd on xda can make a gcam port but these big companies can't bother to make a solid camera app? Fucking cockmunchers.

S8 fingerprint reader is located in the midst inconvenient place possible; vertically right beside the camera. Get the S9 at least.

And those are...

iphone xs max
op7p
s10+

I don't know if that would be worth the extra cash when the S8 looks about the same. I'm a fairly light user, mostly I just use my phone for music and youtube.

>music and youtube

why buy either of those then? get a 150 chinkphone.

I have had a stylo 2 for a few years now and its starting to break. I'd rather just spend another $100 and have something nice that would last a bit longer.

Redmi Note 7, Zenfone Max Pro M1/M2, Xperia XZ1. These cover the poorfag segment and come in different shapes and designs, something for everyone.
Mi 9 for poorfag flagship, better than poocomeme, OP7P for best flagship, Pixel 3 if your don't want chicom flagships.
I made a different general months ago, it was real comprehensive and had dozens of phones listed across different price tiers, even accounting for burgers with their pozzed carriers. You fags didn't move it forward in the succeeding generals.

Branded chinee phones are real fucking good. Get Samshit if you want but you can get something like the Redmi Note 7 and it'll last you forever. Times have changed. Chinkphones are the leaders across all price segments.

I was looking at those way before samsung but I though the chinkphones didn't work on US networks? I'm on Verizon in the US btw.

Ive been using my 2017 a5 since october 2017, i love it to death, put in a 64gig card in it, ive dropped it from my pocket going 25 kph on my bike, not even a scratch
have a nice day anons

What do you think of this version of the guide?

Attached: smartphone guide.png (1080x1266, 131K)

What phone to replace redmi 3s? Note7 or something else?

Best camera phones with sd slot to use in Europe and occasionally USA. I can buy either in USA or EU. For less then 200/400 and 600?

Just copy pasted the /spg/ general and added a disclaimer for three companies, fuck off stop trying to reinvent the wheel.
S9+ or something, your choices are very limited. Fuck the sd slot, get the Pixel 3.

For that guy who was asking about twitter clients, I use Flamingo but it's been discontinued.

Redmi Note 7 or Mi 9 SE, global versions

My Nexus 6p finally decided to die, and I have to get a phone for work, preferably something that will last me a year

Should I go for the Redmi Note 6 Pro, Note 7 or the Mi 8 Lite?

No games or anything, but heavy multitasking and would like for it to have mSD

my 6T is superb
now to get a tempered glass screen protector for it

Attached: 1517966002934.png (500x381, 233K)

Superb? Some other user who owns it was shitting on it in the last general. Got any problems with the display, the GPS, the speaker quality, camera with gcam, all that?

I thought the 6T came with a pre-applied screen protector?

>problems with the display
looks crystal clear to me
>GPS
haven't gotten the chance to really test the gps out
>speaker quality
they sound good enough. they're not audiophile, but for a phone they sound pretty good
>camera with gcam
the camera looks excellent. there is quite a bit ISO noise in low light, but it's only near unbearable if you zoom the camera all the way in
it did but I'm a retard and managed to poke it with the SIM card slot tool (the screen is fine)

Dunno what that other user was on about, pic related is his post. I'm glad it's not shit, I'm gonna get the OP7P and it's gonna be my first chinkphone.

Attached: g.jpg (1576x824, 197K)

The shit company list is important because people come to /spg/, read the OP, then still buy shit phones. Then they make new threads complaining that Android is terrible because they bought an old Samsung. It literally happened again today. Here:
This infographic is a fast way to tell OP that he's retarded and how to do better next time. It's like the infographic in the stolen iPhone threads.

>Still no IP rating
Was expected for the Pro, but how do you think OnePlus sealed off that pop-up camera when no one else could?

mobile.twitter.com/oneplus/status/1124358412999983105