OpenBSD 6.5 is out! Time to ditch Linux, Windows, and OS X forever!

Tired of bloated operating systems and cruft? Why don't you install the most secure OS available to the general public? OpenBSD! Just get any Thinkpad made in the last 20 years for a couple bucks and try it, soon you'll run it on everything.

As the bloated software crumbles around you, you can take solace in the fact that your OS is unshakable.

Attached: 1555368085589.jpg (1200x800, 136K)

Why though? Fedora works just fine, and I have stuff to do. Also I don't mind featureful ("bloated") software, if there are features I don't need I don't use them, and resources aren't a problem.

featureful software doesn't have to be bloated, and Fedora's a shit distro with system d and other Poetteringware

system d alone has more lines of code than OpenBSD's entire kernel + base + X.

Done. It's only using 54MB RAM and running extremely smoothly on an ancient Mobile Pentium III.

Attached: Screenshot_20190503_155110.png (722x507, 10K)

Attached: 2019-04-25-130933_1264x764_scrot.png (1264x764, 26K)

is openbsd more minimal than netbsd ?

I'm rather enjoying Manjaro thank you.

>Linux is getting much larger every year
>controlled by Platinum-level Linux Foundation members, Intel, IBM, MS, and Google
>is getting less reliable and slower over time as cruft builds up
>Poetteringware will soon further infiltrate and then subsume the kernel
>GNOME aka Red Hat aka IBM sending out threatening letters to developers to make their projects GNOME-only
>MS now submitting kernel patches to help run Linux as an 'app' inside of Windows
Linux is finished. It's over. OpenBSD won the Unix wars after 50 years.

Attached: 1445871151369.jpg (1200x1500, 309K)

Both are extremely minimal with the base install. NetBSD is more minimal these days though, it will still run on machines with 8MB RAM. I'm going to install it on one of those Windows CE Pocket PCs.

OpenBSD's VM system is the most technically correct to date too.

Attached: 1532626870644.jpg (1200x813, 107K)

Neat concept but call me when they support my wireless card

On my x201 everything works perfectly. Audio, 3D acceleration, power management, the Thinklight, even the RF kill switch. I get about 8-10 hours with a new chink extended battery. Since Theo decided to go full tinfoil with Spectre mitigation and shut off SMT among many other measures there have been more than a dozen Spectre variants which have afflicted other OS's which OpenBSD has been immune to. Also their X.org fork has security benefits as well.

It's extremely easy to get involved with the project, too. You can simply submit patches to the appropriate mailing list.

>puts diesel into a gasoline car
>WAAAAHH IT SHOULD WORK
Don't be a moron. Do you buy an iPad and complain when it won't run Windows?

The problem is: OpenBSD is not featureful in the slightest.

Well it is getting larger, but not just in the way you’re referring to.
Also I love this “[blank] is finished. It’s over.” shit. You can’t just declare your own victory.

I'm declaring this victory and you can't stop me.

It has the features its users need and desire. No more, no less.

no u

did they ban the trim / ffs / wine / vm shill?

How is virtualization doing on OpenBSD? If I knew how to run other OSes in a VM I'd probably switch.

Nah still here. Figured it’s been done to death like satania. Everyone on this board knows OpenBSD is a meme just like iToddlers.

It has vmd which is its own VMM, currently no graphics - just serial / network. But you could connect to an X client on the vm, people do that now to run some Linux-only programs I hear tell. It's much more geared toward virtual hosting though.

iToddlers BTFO

Attached: satania13.gif (540x266, 1.42M)

>UNIX
>unshakable

Attached: 1556412413978int.png (224x309, 115K)

>dude analogies prove my point lmao

It runs most of the computers in the world user. Maybe better isn't good enough. But BSD's won the war proving the Berkeley thesis that quality implementation that's fully engineered beats quickly doing shit 90% of the way and flitting off to the next trend.

In what universe?
Linux won.

>Linux won
Linux is bloat and corporations are starting to shy away from it big time.

>no unicode support in the console
>need to use X or ssh to display or type anything other than ascii
>broke startx for 'muh security', forcing everyone to use the worlds shittiest login manager to use X
into the trash it goes

Oh look another ShitBSD shill thread. I'll save you newfags some time, if you want a minimalist server OS that does whatever the fuck you need go with NetBSD, it pretty much runs on everything, even a toaster. If you want advanced functionality, desktop ready and raw power, go for FreeBSD. Install Open(shit)BSD if you want to have your productivity fall below measure and get ready to fix shit when you don't need to.

Attached: 1554433777878.jpg (622x1024, 48K)

FreeBSD doesn't even care about desktop as much as OpenBSD tho...

Attached: _81738062_risitas.jpg (1024x576, 36K)

>muh unicode
nobody cares cuck face

>t. cat-v special forces

>t. sweaty worried NSA user

>advocating FreeBSD when the devs don’t even keep it installed on hardware
>the devs just vm it on MacBooks

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1548848897707.jpg (2272x1704, 586K)

Wasn't there a FreeBSD release that didn't even boot on bare metal because none of the devs bothered to try?

netbsd is backdoored by (((they))): the userland runs on (((minix))), the (((intel me os))).
Always use OpenBSD.

Both (((freebsd))) and (((netbsd))) are backdoored. Never use them.
Only use OpenBSD.

Just because Intel uses it for ME doesn't mean NetBSD itself is backdoored

because its slow and shit

look, asshole, if i wanted a slow, secure os that couldnt do anything then i could literally just use templos

Admit it Amandeep, you've never used OpenBSD in your life.

templeos has no networking.
>more secure
>less usable

TempleOS is great but it's not for daily driver use. OpenBSD is.

OpenBSD crashes every now and then on my router. Then I need to plug a keyboard to babysit the fsck() .
The system is super fucking slow. It doesn't support modern wi-fi standards. The virtualization system barely works (the serial console is a mess), and that's for running OpenBSD. It's hopeless for any other OS. And the developers, who love to smell their own farts about how they're right and the entire rest of the world is wrong, are in denial about basic issues.

FreeBSD, meanwhile, has a shit installer and terrible support for desktop. It's probably fine when running the cloud, but then I'm not entirely sure why you wouldn't run Alpine...

The whole BSD scene is a mess, you could have a nice system if you picked the best part of each project (DragonFly kernel and OpenBSD userland would be a good start, with some other nice bits from Free and Net), but not a single one is acceptable.

Fucking lmao. I have to see that

Thanks, but I would like my modern hardware to work.

I'm inclined to believe it.
It's mostly used through three channels:
- Cloud
- Appliance makers who build the kernel themselves
- Downstream distros like FreeNAS or TrueOS that also build and test stuff themselves

At the same time, FreeBSD developers almost all use Macs, and the installer is notoriously shit, so I would not be surprised if it had a bug that no one noticed.

Nice try faglord.

Pic related, OpenBSD running on the latest Microsoft Surface Go

Attached: 45543544345.jpg (4032x3024, 2.99M)

But DragonFly 5.2.0 had a similar issue.
It's even worse than FreeBSD, it's a system that only works on whatever computer Matt is using at the moment (and probably even on Matt's system it keeps crashing as he keeps messing around with the kernel).

Wow it runs on a system with decade-old specs

>practically none of the hardware existed a decade ago
>decade-old specs
Good one.

imagine redoing Unix just to support third world languages...

>machine with new hardware underperforms vs. decade-old hardware
makes u think

I can't run LMMS on BSD, can I?

Attached: Lmms_logo.png (64x64, 7K)

>it can't run on modern hardware
>well it can but
That couldn't be less relevant. The point is that it's modern supported hardware.

Attached: goalposts.jpg (300x240, 29K)

>installing a simple to use and maintain OS which has all the software you need will cause (((productivity))) to fall
Where do you even get this shit lol? Productivity falling? That’s just retarded and it makes you sound like a longnose.

Which router? How’s it crash? You’re probably just making it up...

>thin portable computer doesn’t outperform the 32 core Threadripper
Well aren’t you just a retarded transfag...

Yes you can actually.

No it's true. It's a Celeron box.
But it's OK. I sometimes rage at OpenBSD but I always come back to it because everything else is worse.

Yes.
Just like you can microwave your own feces.

Can OpenBSD connect to LTE 3G modem?

>gnome devs sucks guys because they only add/remove features they want and think they know what you want wow
>here use openbsd which only has features I know you'll use and nothing more

Sure.

The difference is that GNOME devs are s o y I m and the OpenBSD crew are neckbeards.

based thread and based user

Nodrivers: the OS.

So far the only thing I've encountered that it didn't have a driver for was a Nvidia GPU in an old laptop

trim suport?

explain

Windows 10 Is better.

Only poor fags with dollar store pc's will use this. Get your fat ass off the chair, get a job, buy a nice PC and install Windows.

Ya all know that 99.99% of the hardware works on Windows? That 90% of PC users use windows? That 99.99% of PC games were made to work on windows? That Directx is the best thing happened to PC?

Yes, install Windows 10 and enjoy a life free of frustrations. Works out out-of-the-box.

>lines of code mean anything when 90% of it is architecture specific and compiled out by setting different kernel configs
Look at the retard.

i run arch because i don't like bloat and it works for me but i might try bsd someday for fun

why would i install some shitty broken proprietary os which would spy on me more than some commie cunt? if you want to recommend people to install windows at least tell them to install something like xp, vista, 7 or older

forgot pic

Attached: Windows10.jpg (3297x3319, 1.46M)

>the userland runs on minix
Source? It thought MINIX used NetBSDs network stack , not the other way around.

>broke start x for 'muh security'
If you don't care about this then don't use it. Pretty simple.

>The whole BSD scene is a mess, you could have a nice system if you picked the best part of each project (DragonFly kernel and OpenBSD userland would be a good start, with some other nice bits from Free and Net), but not a single one is acceptable.

I agree. OpenBSD with HAMMER2 in base is a dream of mine.
I've used dragonfly for a long time. But I've run into so many headaches configuring X for my shitty laptop (probably my laptops fault) but OpenBSD just werks.
I love HAMMER2 (aside from the bulkfree messages printed to the console whenever it runs - but that's a minor annoyance).
I think it's the future or filesystems, however it's documentation (compared to hammer1) is pretty lacking I must say.

>jcs
Based as fuck

GNOME devs:
>get paid money by Redhat
>do whatever they want, still receive money
>Used in important enterprise distros(RHEL, Fedora, OpenSUSE, Ubuntu)

OpenBDSD devs:
>get payed by noone
>try to be as friendly to corporations as possible, to the point that they remove GPL licensed software
>The only important usage of it is on microwaves, with no payback whatsoever

But that's literally all UNIX has ever been.
To find out what quality implementation, engineering and research looks like get a lisp machine. You can't even cause buffer overflows or memory corruption on those because the memory is typed.

>unshakable
>UFS
I swear to god, every openbsd Jow Forums shill has no clue what he's talking about

>install server edition of Fedora
>literally zero bloat

but how much ram

>features are bloat
OpenBSD shills are fucking retarded

>OpenBSD is not featureful in the slightest
This is incorrect. OpenBSD comes with a lot more than most modern GNU/Linux distros do. It comes with cc, yacc, lex, ctags, and the entirety of xorg. (meaning it doesn't skimp out on xedit, xbiff, etc)
I've even encountered GNU/Linux distros without ed. This is never a problem on OpenBSD.

Note that xedit has been broken since 6.2, though.

>OpenBSD crew are neckbeards.
this fag cannot even name one dev w/out google

Really? That's interesting. It's been broken on FreeBSD for a while too.

Somebody redpill me on SSDs. I have a chinky "Kingfast" one in my thinkpad. Will it die if I install OpenBSD?
Also, is dual boot (with Linux) practical? Or at least, can I practically keep my ext4 /home partition, or would I have to migrate the data over?

Non-troll, dumb question... I've been running OpenBSD as a home router for a while now, but I'm failing at finding documentation for how to keep the system up to date as updates come out?

Any modern SSD (read: last 10 years or so) will do wear leveling in the firmware, so you'll be fine. OpenBSD might be able to mount ext4 through ext2 compat, but I wouldn't trust it for a writable partition.
If you're running -stable, use syspatch.
If you're running -current, use sysupgrade.

>NetBSD is backdoored
Citation needed

They literally inserted a CoC

Very good, and very gay. I guess I'll try to allocate some space and get a dualboot going, then migrate stuff as I need it. Does that sound like a plan? Or would I be better off maybe getting a separate disc for OpenBSD to avoid any possible issues with partitioning or whatever?

Once again, proof Jow Forums openbsd shills are braindead idiots who know nothing about technology.

The OpenBSD shill is a pitiful man who knows absolutely nothing about technology and will try to hide this fact through any means possible. If you attempt to engage one in a serious discussion about flaws of the OpenBSD environment; for example, the lack of ports auditing, the lack of support for a journaling filesystem, SSD trim, filesystem encryption (all things the other BSDs and Linuxes have had for years; all very basic security functionalities), they will cower away and attempt to mask their technological ignorance behind meta-politics or codes-of-conducts, for the simple fact that these are all their feeble smooth brains can understand. They typically come straight from r*ddit or Jow Forums, sometimes as Terry Davis shills who started browsing Jow Forums during the election, and sometimes as Linux users who failed to install Gentoo or Arch who sought embrace and individualism in an operating system they assumed nobody else used. (this goes back to my first point; never believe for one second that an OpenBSD user on Jow Forums or baot understands or cares in any way about the code running his operating system). OpenBSD is, of course, designed to work out of the box — it ships with Xenodm and has relatively sane install defaults so that any user can spam enter and get a working desktop environment.

I have been lurking these threads for a while now in search of serious discussion, and have not encountered a single OpenBSD user who understands more about the operating system they use than the average Ubuntu or Windows user. Don’t fall for it. There are great use cases for OpenBSD, but don’t think for one second that anyone who posts in these threads knows what they are.

Sounds like a plan. Maybe try it in a virtual machine first so you get a feel for it.

(You)

Love watching you anons struggle with things you don't understand and blaming strawmen for your failings.