/hsg/ Home Server General

Home server thread
weekend edition

NAS is how most people get into this. It’s nice have a /comfy/ home for all your data. Streaming your movies/shows around the house and to friends is good feels. Repurpose an old desktop, buy a SBC, or go with cheap used enterprise gear. Lots of options and theres even a flowchart. Ask.

/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. Know all about NAS? Learn virtualization. Spun up some VMs? Learn about networking by standing up a pfsense box and configuring some vlans. Theres always more to learn and chances to grow. Think you’re godtier already? Setup openstack and report back.

>What software should I run?
install gentoo. Or whatever flavor of *nix is best for the job or most comfy for you. Emby to replace netflix, nextcloud to replace googlel, ampache to replace spotify, the list goes on and on. Look at the awesome selfhosted list and ask.

>Datahoarding ok here?
YES - you are in good company. Shuck those easystores and flash IT mode on your H310. All datahoarding talk welcome.

>Do I need a rack and all that noisey enterprise gear?
No. An old laptop or rpi can be a server if you want.

>A T T E N T I O N:
>The /hsg/ wiki is up!
hsg.shortlink.club/

Please expand it, also don't use your real name or any password when you register. Preferable use cock.li or something anonymous. Or just email the admin with the username and password you want.

>Links
server tips: pastebin.com/SXuHp12J
github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted
old.reddit.com/r/datahoarder
labgopher.com
reddit.com/r/homelab/wiki/index
wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Features
>Chat
irc.rizon.net #_hsg_
riot.im/app/#/room/#homeservergeneral:matrix.org

previous thread:

Attached: hsg_6.jpg (1658x1168, 620K)

Other urls found in this thread:

silentpcreview.com/article1371-page1.html
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=DragonFlyBSD-TTM-Radeon-3.18
support.plex.tv/articles/201774043-what-kind-of-cpu-do-i-need-for-my-server/
calligra.org/flow/
pollin.de/p/odroid-hc1-einplatinen-computer-fuer-nas-und-cluster-anwendungen-810766
pollin.de/p/odroid-hc2-einplatinen-computer-fuer-nas-und-cluster-anwendungen-810851
armbian.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What hypervisors are you Jow Forumsentlemen using?

Gonna setup a home server using an old Dell xps 410. probably gonna do a RAID 5 with Proxmox. Most likely gonna use CentOS 7 on my hypervisor with webmin client.

what are hypervisors and why should i be using one?

Attached: 1550604169876.jpg (620x877, 237K)

vmworkstation on my..well..workstation i guess it is.

Proxmox on two servers.

would probably be using ESXI or Citrix Hypervior but esxi is way to fickle about hardware for my ghetto stuff and Citrix locked usb pass-through behind a pay wall.

I was using Citrix before but moved to Proxmox, It's ok - a bit odd at times (storage groups/clusters) but seems to do the job

Attached: Untitled-1.jpg (1920x1037, 469K)

actually, speaking of virtual machines - is qemu still the only way to go for arm7 (raspi) emulation?

I'm thinking of buying a Chenbro SR30169 for my first NAS.

silentpcreview.com/article1371-page1.html

Any idea what kind of Mini-ITX/CPU combo I should be looking for? Not doing anything too fancy, mainly just storage and video streams.

VM managers except they work on OS layer and not as a software within the OS

How do you backup your VMs? I have one for Gitlab and I'm thinking of getting it backed up.

your hyper visor will prob have backup tools - Proxmox backs mine up once a week.

except when it throws errors as I just noticed in that screen shot -_-

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=DragonFlyBSD-TTM-Radeon-3.18

Good news everyone! Radeon porting to DragonFlyBSD, as of Friday the Radeon and TTM memory management code was updated to Linux 3.18

Now we can have modern grapics!

I have a lot of downtime at my helpdesk job, and I would like to use that time productively.

I'm a newb at server stuff.
Do you guys have any good ideas to something I could work on?

ok i see, i dont really have any use for such things at the moment
maybe some day i will get into running VMs and stuff but for now docker simple and good enough

Attached: 1549572530619.jpg (1102x1079, 181K)

If you play any games you could host a game server running in a VM

How difficult is it to set up a custom router using a home server?

How do I safely set up a port forwarding?
My simple goal is being able to SSH into my server from anywhere

Just set your router to forward tcp 22 externally to 22 . All traffic that hits your IP hits your router first, and it'll only send through 22 to that box.
Or whatever port you're hosting SSH on. 22 is fine, but you could change it if you don't want auth.log filling up with chinese

Q: why emulate?
Anything I can thing of for hsg can be handled by a normal ass server
Unless you got something insanely beefy and what various firewalls and servers, I don't get it

Because containers and VM can be rolled out in mere 4 minutes, whilst setting up a bare metal server takes quite some time. I run bare metal and I prefer it, but I don't criticize the people who prefer to virtualize. There are certain benefits that cannot be denied. On ARM though, no thanks.

Attached: df060f15.png (1200x800, 837K)

isolating stuff like torrenting+vpn from the rest of the system sounds nice though, doesnt it?
its also useful and adds some safety because you can force the container to only communicate through the vpn tunnel
of course its just as easy to do at a system level but running that stuff in a vm/container lets you keep your regular address outwards and would also allow multiple instances of the same solution, say one container for public trackers and one for private

Attached: 1517287573290.png (700x700, 279K)

Does anyone have any experience with OpenSMTPD? Is is good?
I'm thinking of replacing my shitty postfix+dovecot setup from when I barely knew what I was doing.

Attached: 1548751212813.jpg (1065x1375, 129K)

Proxmox VE is pretty cool. There's a bit of a learning curve to getting drives installed and ready to use but once you get that going its smooth sailing. The WebApp is pretty well featured as well.

VMs just for program environments on my laptop I just use Oracle Virtualbox.

Dockers a pretty good skill to have, sometimes I feel like an old man spinning up new VMs just for setting up new apps when everyone and their mother is offering docker containers now...

/hsg/ noob here, my server (currently running only smb/nas + seedbox) is up for 5 days now. I'm sort of worried with my electricity bill and my house burning up. Am I just being paranoid? I'm using Pine RockPro64 and external 20tb raid5 external hdd so I think the electricity cost should be cheaper than a normal computer.

how much do you pay per kWh?

around 0.27 usd.

0.18 to 0.27 usd, not sure actually.

ESXi, mostly because unlike the others it doubles as practice for work

lots of guides available if you goog

ok, rockpro64 should average at maybe 5W, not sure about your raid array, but i wouldnt expect it to account for more than a $3-4 increase a month if always on

Thanks.

How big should the capacity of an SSD cache drive be on a NAS? Or rather, what should it be relative to?

relative to the amount of data you're intending to be caching i guess
i just use a 1tb one because they're decently cheap

>relative to the amount of data you're intending to be caching i guess
Well what's a good practice then? If I were to buy a 120gb SSD, should I not go above a certain threshold on the arrays? What kind of things commonly get cached with you guys?

i generally cache torrents/downloads and container data
stuff that changes often i try to put on the ssd until a periodic sync is run and containers are dd+gunzipped to my snapraid array and completed downloads are categorized and moved manually
websites and shit i prefer really fast access to i cache on a 48gb ram disk

libvirt

Is a mid-tower with 3 hotswaps and 5 internal 3.5" bays a good entry level case?

sure
hot swaps are usually a meme though but they look pretty cool

I got a hotswap expansion mainly to give myself more HDD rack. It was a CD drive to 3.5 thing so it works... kinda okay. It's too smart. If I take the fan out it doesn't supply power to the drives, and if I replace the fan with a larger diameter one it also doesn't start the drives. Also if I restart my server sometimes it doesn't power my drives and I have to press a button to turn them on.
Like fuck I don't want that shit. I want to be able to restart my server anywhere in the world and have it work.

What's the cheapest/minimum CPU I should be looking at that can handle two 1080p transcodes at once?

For trannycoding in real time? Single 1080p transcode: Intel Core i5 3.0GHz

>b-b-but user?! this much!!?
support.plex.tv/articles/201774043-what-kind-of-cpu-do-i-need-for-my-server/

Not my estimate, but I trust the plexmediabros.

Attached: 1556943352885.jpg (1016x1417, 161K)

Yeah I read that page already, which leads me to wonder what it takes for two simultaneous real time transcodes. Is this the point where you have to start looking at a higher end Xeon?

Also for the NAS I'm building, I'm likely to go with a Ryzen CPU because they seem far better value.

>still going on about that shit after several guys told you alst thread
Just do the math. The i7 then as recommended, because 4k just has 4 times the pixels. So you can host 4x 1080p streams in theory. Let's say 3x streams because overhead.

>Xeon
What fucking for though? Just buy a used Jow Forumsayman PC with decent mainboard.

Attached: what-is-4k1.jpg (500x311, 35K)

1700 here. I know it can do 3 1080 streams whithout breaking a sweat.

libvirt/QEMU/KVM

KVM. Am I retarded? Expected to see more KVM.

maybe. most of the replies to that post are using proxmox which is basically just Debian + KVM + a slick web interface

what is the cheapest way to get plex on an old dumb tv? Some sort of dongle or tv box perhaps ?

I use Roku with no complaints. Plus it supports a bunch of other streaming services. I'm sure there's 100 other options.

Any Visio alternatives to make cool network diagrams?

I have a home server where I have about a tb of music. What would be the best software (either server or client side) to organise all of it and perhaps stream it? Plex seems like a compelling option but I am open to other alternatives.

Attached: 0bd.png (813x804, 521K)

Can I use HDDs connected to the motherboard and HDDs connected to the PCIe controller card in a single raid array? If not, would it at least work in Unraid?

Why aren't you using git to version control your server configuration?
It even has the added benefit of being able to revert changes in place.
Just use git --git-dir=/some/repo --work-tree=/ --untracked-files=no

Attached: 1544362336095.jpg (900x1310, 920K)

I probably would if i was using ansible or some such

but would it use the android app? the one I downloaded from the play store only runs a minute at a time and asks you to pay which I am not willing to do. I found cracked version of the app on the internet but would that work on a roku ?

I long have, but I figure it's mostly redundant with the borg versioned backups now, which ultimately are more important since they also have the rest of the binaries and stuff.

Are you using borg or restic for your backups yet?

I can't recall paying for anything. But it's been awhile might want to check on that. Or see of someone else knows for sure.

calligra.org/flow/

Any upnp DLNA server thing, sure. Just try emby or plex in docker for starters.

If you also want on-disk organization beyond that, there are bunch of batch tagger things on github.

Pretty much only qemu, but far less than docker.

Chinese HTPC box. see for stores.

For anyone whos done a mail setup; I'm thinking of doing a home setup thatd send through a SMTP relay to get around blacklists and such. Does anyone have any experience doing this? and if so how successful was it? Just weighing my options since I'd rather pay for a cheap SMTP relay than to host any major part of my infrastructure on a VPS.

There is something seriously fucking wrong with the people in /hsg/, but I cannot put my finger quite on it.

Attached: 1556799273507.jpg (795x889, 398K)

good taste in doujins

Attached: hsg_4.jpg (1641x1149, 817K)

i don't know much about VMs, can anyone tell me what is the difference between qemu, virtualbox and vmware?
also using linux i thought qemu would be the go to, but a lot of people say qemu is much slower and virtual box is better, is there any truth to this?

Don't do this. Set up OVPN and VPN into your network then SSH locally.

>Set up OVPN
Set up OpenIKEd

Just install fail2ban, pick a non-standard port and disable password authentication.
Actually, the first one is enough for most people.
The first

Gonna make a file server using an old BTX-chassis machine. Since I have Linux on most of my other devices I thought I'd just install Debian on there and just mount its /home/user/ folder with sshfs on every device.

Is this the right route to go?

The bestest

Attached: 41bcc31.png (1004x506, 334K)

Today seems to be a really thread for generals. Everyone is still sperging about Firefox.

Meanwhile, can someone explain me Proxmox and Ceph easily?

Attached: 73880266_p0_R_18_Elf_Paladin_undress.jpg (1875x3000, 2.63M)

Why sshfs rather than nfs4.2 or samba or such?

Proxmox is a server oriented Linux distro with a web ui thing to configure it.

Ceph is a distributed storage thing with a lot of features. Cool, but flakey at this point - tons of bugs and issues.

Whilst Samba 4.1 is able to encrypt SMB3 traffic, you still have better crypto in the sshfs aspect of SSH.

SMBis more a windows thing whilst SSH with sshfs and sftp are more a *NIX thing.

Sorry for explaining so layman, but what is your use case?

Simpler to execute? But yeah, maybe I should look into NFS.

>Ceph is not perfect yet
Damn, that crushes my hopes a bit. I've only read good things about it.

>proxmox just a distro
DOesn't it come with ceph? Else what makes proxmox preferable to other dristros. Mere ease of use?

Attached: __yakumo_yukari_touhou_drawn_by_hillly_maiwetea__daaf10498cc2996df77a3e2436bd3932.jpg (920x1200, 140K)

*whirrs in your closet*

Attached: 1556817937899.png (500x423, 421K)

Is digital oceans network firewall an acceptable replacement for iptales,ufw?

a thread where no one replies

Attached: just end me.jpg (669x434, 38K)

use pfsense instead dumb baka

What loonix music player should I use for a DLNA thing?

Attached: image0-28.jpg (397x595, 62K)

proxmox really isnt a distro, its a framework for running KVM and LXC containers. You can download it along with debian or install it manually.

what do you want to know?

So how many USB drives have you gone through, FreeNAS bros?

Attached: selection.png (770x176, 38K)

so I read some online and I think I need this explained to me like to an idiot I am.

So I'm shucking my external drives to put them in one case.
-These are all different size drives from all over the last ten years. What do I do to get most reliable performance for next ten plus years?
- the motherboard I plan to use is GA-G31MX-S2 with a xeon 5XXX something in it and it doesn't have native RAID support. Do I have to have RAID or is it optional
-I don't want to loose my data and I don't have 4tb spare drives to copy stuff over from the externals I'm shucking. What do?

Thought about getting the Atomic Pi, but it's hard to get here in EU/Germany. Would probably run Nextcloud/sabnzbd/torrent on it (the first 2 are just so slow on the RPi3) and enjoy the extra power and GBit + USB3.

Anyone already got their hands on the APi?

raid is optional and not all too often necessary
if you're doing backup/nas where large portions of your data wont change very often, snapraid is a much better option than real raid. it works with different sized disks and doesnt require all disks to be available for the data to be readable

>intel atom
Kuso!!

Buy a RK3399 based SoC with 1Gbit/s eth0
pollin.de/p/odroid-hc1-einplatinen-computer-fuer-nas-und-cluster-anwendungen-810766

pollin.de/p/odroid-hc2-einplatinen-computer-fuer-nas-und-cluster-anwendungen-810851

armbian.com/

>but my x86
ewww

Attached: 7d5.jpg (2048x1264, 299K)

i should also mention that you can add disks with preexisting data on them to a snapraid array
and your parity drive(s) have to be at least as large as the largest drive in your pool

Why are you offering more expensive alternatives that have a shittier CPU architecture?
and fuck off with that .de shit, kraut

If you're using shucked drives I'd honestly use some kind of RAID5 or 6, depending on the number of drives. I've heard they are lower binned, so you might as well have some redundancy against drive failure. And don't forget to backup on top of that.

I hate to be that guy but I'm not too worried about data loss, I checked out this snapraid thing user mentioned and on paper it seems like the solution for me, as long as it doesn't require me to change motherboard since I mostly want my box so work as a home seedbox/media server/own cloud/ftp thing that would let me access my files on my other computers and over the internet if need be

RAID isn't about data loss, it's about availability. If one member of the RAID dies, you still have access to all your data.
Just giving SnapRAID a look over, it is a backup program that you use to recover data in the event of failure. If you lose a drive, you lose access to some of your data until you replace the drive and then restore the data from the backup.
If you don't care about data loss, but want your files to be accessible at all times, even if a drive fails, I would suggest RAID5/6/Z

And I just noticed you said different sizes, so RAID isn't ideal for your situation.
I suck cocks

>ITT
>people still think RAID is a form of backup

Attached: 1556825487088.png (628x720, 368K)

said nobody in this thread at all.

Will this thread survive the weekend apocalypse? I can bump again a bit in 9 hours. Make sure it doesn't archive. Damn Firefox fuckup today, nobody talks about anything else in the catalog.

Attached: 1556996273396.jpg (753x707, 331K)

Do the servers calm you /hsg/?

The world would be better if we had 4 billion humans less but 4 billion servers more.

The gentle breeze of lukewarm air coming out of the exhaust and the hypnotic fire of drive and NIC LEDs filling your datacenter with a nice glow.

Fret not, nuclear war will soon already take care of the former issue.

Attached: servers1920x1200.jpg (1920x1200, 389K)

>nuclear war will soon already take care of the former issue
god i hope so

I might sound like an autist but I relate to machines and inanimate objects in ways I can't relate to humans. I even had the same nail clipper for twenty two years now.

bump because I'll need help setting this stuff up soon enough

Attached: momo.jpg (507x768, 75K)

hyper-v, unironically

I'm gonna buy 3 atomic pi's when they come back in stock and try setting up a hyper-v cluster with a few loonix vms running