What's so special about the Commodore Amiga? Why are so many people in love with this machine...

What's so special about the Commodore Amiga? Why are so many people in love with this machine? These things are ridiculously overpriced today.

Also, retro thread

Attached: amiga-a1200-1084s-monitor-tank-mouse-joystick-.jpg (1800x1201, 817K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tNti5bN9ILU
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olivetti_M24
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Nostalgia, they were cheap machines available to people and did the job. Instead of high end machines or PCs that weren't as accessible.
People put a lot of time doing interesting stuff with them and continue to do so, hence also the prices.

youtube.com/watch?v=tNti5bN9ILU

Just picked these up, Olivetti M20 and M24, I know absolutely nothing about them. From what I've read the M24 is supposed to have an Intel 8088 processor, but it appears to have a Zilog 8001PS.

They both boot up, but they need a real good cleaning, and the M24 has no keyboard, and I really want to find the front piece for it.

Attached: 20190504_135659.jpg (4032x3024, 3.47M)

My mistake, supposed to have an 8086 processor not 8088 like I said.

Attached: 20190504_150640.jpg (4032x3024, 3.4M)

comfy

PCs at the time couldn't even do the things that Amigas could.

I posted this on the ppc thread but I'll repost it here.

The community. I'm serious. There's no community as tightly knit as the Amiga one. Not people into classic Macs, not manchildren into DOS games. They have a really active development scene, since they're dedicated to keeping their computers alive and relatively relevant at any cost. The only issue is almost all of them are furries.

You sure that's not just a coprocessor card? What OS do they boot to(if they have a hard drve)? Can you take a pic of the motherboard?

Correct answer: the demoscene.

>The M24/6300 had an unusual enhanced 32 KiB CGA-compatible video card which, in addition to standard 200-line CGA graphics modes (automatically line doubled, transparent to software, with text modes also using 400 scanlines with higher quality 8x16 pixel fonts, or even 16x16 in 40-column mode with an expansion ROM), also supported an additional 640x400 pixel graphics mode, as well as a poorly documented 512x256 mode for compatibility with the earlier M20 model (in conjunction with a Z8000-based emulator card that included a necessary additional clock source).
Okay, it is a coprocessor card.

That only issue kills off any good parts the community would have.

Same as the "hipster" douchebags who run around with record players now thinking that somehow makes them unique.

>The M24/6300 had an unusual enhanced 32 KiB CGA-compatible video card which, in addition to standard 200-line CGA graphics modes (automatically line doubled, transparent to software, with text modes also using 400 scanlines with higher quality 8x16 pixel fonts, or even 16x16 in 40-column mode with an expansion ROM), also supported an additional 640x400 pixel graphics mode, as well as a poorly documented 512x256 mode for compatibility with the earlier M20 model (in conjunction with a Z8000-based emulator card that included a necessary additional clock source).
Okay, it is a coprocessor card.

Good to know, I'll have to play around with it more later. I'll take some more pictures of the individual boards.

I haven't had time to do anything more than turn them on and see if they work. I think the M24 runs DOS, and the M20 runs PCOS which I have no clue about. The M20 included a disk that I'm really hoping both works, and is the OS. The M24 has a note on the disk drive from a tech at some point saying that the disk won't spin and to get a quote for repair, not sure if it was ever done or not. I'm thinking the drive is probably toast.

Soul.

You sure that's not just a coprocessor card? What OS do they boot to(if they have a hard drve)? Can you take a pic of the motherboard?

Same as the "hipster" douchebags who run around with record players now thinking that somehow makes them unique.

My mistake, supposed to have an 8086 processor not 8088 like I said.

Just bought an ACA 500 Plus
My Amiga 500 now runs at 41 MHz and I can enjoy Workbench 3.14
> Living the dream

I posted this on the ppc thread but I'll repost it here.

The community. I'm serious. There's no community as tightly knit as the Amiga one. Not people into classic Macs, not manchildren into DOS games. They have a really active development scene, since they're dedicated to keeping their computers alive and relatively relevant at any cost. The only issue is almost all of them are furries.

Just picked these up, Olivetti M20 and M24, I know absolutely nothing about them. From what I've read the M24 is supposed to have an Intel 8088 processor, but it appears to have a Zilog 8001PS.

They both boot up, but they need a real good cleaning, and the M24 has no keyboard, and I really want to find the front piece for it.

Does this bot start up after mentioning Macs?

Soul.

This, fantastic technology for the price point and lots of fond memories to lots of people and a community that still keeps them alive.
They absolutely could, you just had to pay for it.
Oh damn, that's a fucking Z8000 system. Kickass.
I've never seen a single Z8K or Z80K in the wild, people just didn't have any interest in them.

>The only issue is almost all of them are furries.
That's a good sign these days, degenerates in tech usually have three digit IQs. It's the normies that are a red flag.

Just bought an ACA 500 Plus
My Amiga 500 now runs at 41 MHz and I can enjoy Workbench 3.14
> Living the dream

Good to know, I'll have to play around with it more later. I'll take some more pictures of the individual boards.

I haven't had time to do anything more than turn them on and see if they work. I think the M24 runs DOS, and the M20 runs PCOS which I have no clue about. The M20 included a disk that I'm really hoping both works, and is the OS. The M24 has a note on the disk drive from a tech at some point saying that the disk won't spin and to get a quote for repair, not sure if it was ever done or not. I'm thinking the drive is probably toast.

Just do what needs to be done and don't acknowledge it. The mods do actually do their job.

Soul.

Oh damn, that's a fucking Z8000 system. Kickass.
I've never seen a single Z8K or Z80K in the wild, people just didn't have any interest in them.

Only when it comes to technical topics, otherwise they're room temperature in every other metric due to being actually mentally ill in most cases.

Nostalgia, they were cheap machines available to people and did the job. Instead of high end machines or PCs that weren't as accessible.
People put a lot of time doing interesting stuff with them and continue to do so, hence also the prices.

Just do what needs to be done and don't acknowledge it. The mods do actually do their job.