Falling for the OLED meme

>falling for the OLED meme

Burn in, half the lifespan of LCD, blacks that turn into gray over time, low brightness and even lower because they dim on their own to prevent burn in.

I sincerely hope you bought a local dimming LCD and not a deeply flawed tech.

Attached: sony-x900f-tv-review-lifestyle-720x720.jpg (720x480, 66K)

Other urls found in this thread:

avsforum.com/color-volume-why-it-matters-for-hdr-tvs/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Being afraid of burn in when your TV is rigged to fail once the 2 years warranty expires

>when your OLED is rigged to fail

ftfy

LCDs bought 10 years ago are still going strong

>muh deep blacks

I think it's funny that once we reached true blacks, the entire content moved to HDR which is the polar opposite and goes for peak luminance to highlight details. Deep blacks and low brightness of OLEDs are totally useless now.

Why, of all the tech industries, does the TV one seem to be far and away the most fucking retarded?

"being too poor to buy an OLED"
the post

Well, if we have here this oled thread here already, why not mention that rtings tested new lg c9 and measured 6.5ms of input lag in 120hz mode. Thats some jump from 21ms of last years model and comfortably rivaling even some of the most "gaming" monitors.
But yeah go buy your local dimming display so you can enjoy halos and nonexistant blacks.

Attached: loled.png (1356x546, 535K)

Because they need to give people reasons to throw their old shit out the window and buy new gear. TVs used to be bought once every ten years now it seems like they're as disposable as phones.

Enjoy your black crush and no shadow detail then.

no such features on 2019 oled, but you can certainly find them on every va panel manufactured if you prefer it that way

JUST GIVE ME THE MICROLED DISPLAYS NOW!

Attached: angrypepe.jpg (900x900, 46K)

I think Metro: Exodus purposefully made their non-hdr mode look like dogshit to make HDR look better.

What is that gonna be, like $10,000 for a 24inch 4k monitor?

Q9FN/X900F or bust boys
OLED is half baked tech
get one of the two monitors I named and change them when mLED becomes mainstream

memes and shitposts aside. How are these, nowadays? I am considering the new Philips one coming out this year. Do I still have to worry about burn in to the point I cant play any videogames or long days of sports broadcasts? I could get the samsung meme top tvs but they dont look as good. Also cant some OLEDs do like 1000 nits?

Looked great on my calibrated monitor, must be a TV console thing lol

some tech guys asked samsung on ces if 75 inch microled will be consumer product and they said no and off camera reps mentioned that it would have to cost around 100k, I wouldnt hold my breath for it

but it was hdr

>muh deep Blacks
Only BBC cuckolds buying OLED confirmed

does it have freesync? I am looking for a good TV to plug my PC into. I already use Gay-Sync that is why I don't think I will be able to go back to non-adaptive sync monitors ever.

>hurr you should only want things to be either really dark and black, or to be really bright and colourful. Great thing about HDR is doing both.
Low IQ my dude.
Because of normie appeal. normies don't understand panel tech or colour reproduction, input lag or anything actually important.
You sell them tvs with marketing shit like 4k because HD was the next big thing, so now UHD is. (even on like a budget 32inch TV) and HDR, even when it seems literally anything can call itself HDR, even with a peak brightness of like 300 nits, and horrible colour reproduction making things actually look worse. Then of course you can sell them on smart tv shit because they best way to watch netflix is 99% of what they want, even though they will never understand that smart tv features are all shit when you realize ARC is your only option for audio.
Seriously, it is the wild west where anyone can say anything as marketing. I like UHD, I like HDR. But they way they are going about it is retarded. You can not find any actual information about the tvs you are buying from spec sheets either. it is frustrating trying to shop for one.

No, it only supports hdmi vrr, so my understanding is that until there is hdmi 2.1 graphics card, you wont get variable refresh rate on pc. Same with 4k/120hz, wont work without hdmi 2.1 capable graphics card. If you want freesync, samsung tvs support it, but only for amd cards because nvidia doesnt support freesync over hdmi.

Also cant forget lying about refresh rate and never disclosing the panel type.

>nvidia doesnt support freesync over hdmi.
screw this judaism

Sony have some good technical specs on their website. I haven't found other tv companies doing that.
Also LCD with LED local dimming with UHD is a way to go for now.

Full array local dimming is complete shit. If you're going to spend that kind of money you might as well just got with OLED. If you're not using your TV as a monitor, then you won't have any issues with burn in.

Attached: 0c5fa077_20180115_183737.jpg (4032x2268, 1.45M)

UHD+HDR

there's a distinct possibility we'll never see any microled smaller than ~50"

>I think it's funny that once we reached true blacks, the entire content moved to HDR which is the polar opposite
They're literally the same thing.
HDR requires contrast ratios that LCDs simply cannot do without local backlight dimming. OLED effectively has infinite contrast, which is why it's so fantastic for HDR.
Polar opposites are always related, otherwise they wouldn't opposites.

Attached: f637d786-6ead-441f-9200-d35e2e2e1898-5403.jpg (534x381, 30K)

How am I supposed to enjoy my BLACKED™ content properly without the deep, rich blacks of an OLED display?

someone invent a laser monitor dammit

Add some leds to the back for bias light and say bye to halos.

They existed in the 2000s. They were awful.
If you remember DLP TVs, they would have been like that, including the "rainbow" effect and terrible black levels.
They apparently had extremely good colors however.

Attached: laservuejpg.jpg (1200x900, 150K)

>low brightness
I for one like my eyes. My phone for instance couldn't possibly get too dim.

I did brother

Feels good to not be a brainlet

HUDs burn in or your set lowers its brightness to joke levels

Look up Sony AF8 dimming

It's only good if you always watch in a dark room.

A TV's max brightness will never do permanent damage to your eyes, only make them temporarily strained. A day outside when it's not cloudy and the sun is close and bright is a hundred times brighter than the brightest TV you can buy at Best Buy.

The worst thing monitors and TVs can do is fuck up your circadian rhythm.

cope

OLED got better response rate, perfect for anime

Not that guy, but this isn't accurate either. Color volume matters for HDR, which is a weakness for OLED relative to high end LCDs.

OLED has a higher native color range than LCD. LCDs that do have wide color ranges use special filters and high color index backlights which is why high-end LCD TVs end up being more expensive than OLED TVs. If you were to put a quantum dot filter over OLED you'd probably get even wider color ranges, and it's something Samsung was supposedly researching for TVs in the future.

>some tech guys asked samsung on ces if 75 inch microled will be consumer product and they said no and off camera reps mentioned that it would have to cost around 100k, I wouldnt hold my breath for it
The magnetic connection mechanism alone probably costs more than today's 8k sets. It was such a ridiculous showcase but people ate it up

I don't think it necessarily needs a HDMI 2.1 source to use VRR, because a lot of HDMI 2.1 features actually don't need the full spec to support things like eARC and auto low latency mode, they could be supported now if the source has is compatible. The trade off is that the source does in fact have to be compatible or have the profile to use that feature or something, so AMD cards should hypothetically able to make their cards compatible with hdmi 2.1 VRR out of their hdmi 2.0 port

I said color VOLUME, not color "range" (I assume you mean gamut). Read this:
avsforum.com/color-volume-why-it-matters-for-hdr-tvs/

>my friend bought extended 3 year warranty for his TV
>it died shortly after 2 years passed and he got (current year) model as replacement
Not sure if he's genius or just lucky

MicroLED will solve every panel issue known to man.

Lighting fast responses time
Zero inpu lag
Impossible to burn in
Long shelf life
Rich colors
Deep blacks

Its gonna be great.

Attached: 1550122638551.jpg (561x590, 144K)

>measured from an arbitrary black point even though OLED goes down to pitch black and ergo has much greater actual volume, being able to show infinitely more colors at lower brightness than LCDs
Very convenient for shilling Samsung TVs, sasuga AVS, they've never been known to shill for Samsung

I'm looking forward to seeing how (if ever) ULED XD develops. Mostly hoping it gets picked up by other companies and isn't stuck with some noname chink.
It's basically two LED panels slapped together, with second one acting exclusively as backlight filter.
Thats much more primitive than microleds, so it might provide great alternative with its cost/value ratio.
pic related it's why I even know about this tech

Attached: ULED.jpg (3840x1930, 381K)

You seem to be missing the point. LCDs can maintain color saturation at high brightness levels, while OLED cannot.

source

The major downside of dual-layer LCD (besides technical/manufacturing hurdles and cost) seems to be that it requires a very strong backlight to maintain high brightness for HDR through the added layers. This means they'll use more electricity, run hotter, and will probably need active cooling for the backlight (i.e. fans).

>Burn in,
Not any worse than IPS ghosting, in fact much more minor
>half the lifespan of LCD,
false
>blacks that turn into gray over time
As opposed to never having any blacks in the firt place?
>low brightness and even lower because they dim on their own to prevent burn in.
100% false, OLED is as bright or brighter.

This seems to only be a problem at high brightness levels. As your article states, most of the 2D color gamut graphs we see are around 80% brightness. 80% of 2000 nits 1600 nits, which is still ridiculously bright, and not what you'd see in typical situations.

I have a big plasma TV that has better image quality than anything made today.

>HDR
Once you say this unironically you have fallen for a meme. This meme doesn't matter, real panel performance does.

Wat up LG

haha yeah response rate for all 5 frames of animation

They don’t disclose the panel type because they want the TV judged on how it looks rather than judged on it’s panel type
This is how monitors used to be, you used to not be so worried about the panel type and just judged it based on what it could do and how it looked and performed, now all that seems to matter is if it’s TN, VA or IPS and fuck every other aspect

can't scale

HDR, just like sRGB is a real standard that affects real viewing standards.

when will microled be available for not insane prices. 2021?

>You can not find any actual information about the tvs you are buying from spec sheets either. it is frustrating trying to shop for one.
Which is what review sites and enthusiast forums are for. They get all the information you want either from real testing or from engineers in special closed events just for journalists and community leaders like the people who own forums and websites.

Home theater buffs make gaymurs look like little babbies in how obsessed they are over this shit. if you can't find any info on the displays you're looking at it's probably because you're buying some bargain bin chinkshit made for literal peasants who eat government cheese

>had tcl 4k
>sold it for a Panasonic plasma

Best decision in recent memory.

>is a real standard
Yeah the standard is real... As in, it exists on paper.
>that affects real viewing standards.
"viewing standards" is not a thing. In the real world, what matter is the brightness, saturation, contrast of the panel and the signal processing. HDR does not necessarily change anything.

Enjoy your burn-in.

If you are so poor that you are buying TCL tvs the power usage of a plasma is going to seriously impact that financial decision

So is Jow Forums going to treat OLED like SSD where you luddite retards spew 8 year old bullshit on a daily basis?

>what matter is the brightness

Like with a OLEDs ability to self illuminate pixels at a brightness beyond 1.0? Which is a base trait of HDR?

SSDs don't go bad randomly or have to be handled with babby hands.

OLEDs don't go randomly bad either.

>being poor
It’s just fun having the latest stuff then moving on.

Apple went all in on the tech I think there is promise in the future.

For smartwatches and maybe phones. Gonna be quite a while before it makes it into anything bigger.

>blacks that turn into gray over time
Not only that but OLED blacks, like CRT blacks, are only actually better than an LCD's in low light environments. In a brightly lit room an LCD will typically have better black performance than an OLED.

How do you figure? Black on OLED is zero light. Can't get blacker than that.

>Black on OLED is zero light.
It emits zero light but it doesn't reflect zero light. A white piece of paper emits zero light as well, but it won't be darker than the black of an LCD unless you turn off the lights in the room. The switched off pixels of the OLED just reflect more light than the combined reflected and emitted light of the LCD.

Depends. OLED still reflects light, so it is not perfect black. A hole in a box lined with black felt will be blacker than an unlit OLED pixel.

>my TV looks like shit compared to even a plasma from 2007 but at least it's cheap and lasts a long time!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HOLY SHIT THAT COPE

This is straight up untrue, since LCDs aren't the final/top layer and that's where almost all the reflectivity comes from. Most TVs I've seen are pretty mediocre. They're not glass glossy but they're usually a very shiny satin. The best is the newest Samsung QLEDs which have some sort of special surface to reduce reflectivity and improve blacks, and it works pretty well in diffuse lighting, although direct lights will still show up plainly. It's not a matte coating like many monitors use

>Yeah the standard is real... As in, it exists on paper.
As in HDR specs include a color profile that manufacturers are supposed to calibrate towards. That means it has a very real effect on the LUT which literally determines how the colors are produced by the TV.

yeah it's gonna be great... in 2030 when you can buy one under 100k.

this. other than resolution and response times those plasmas still look better than any of these modern displays. the blacks are near as dark as a plasma subjectively and the colors seem more accurate compared to an uncalibrated OLED too. plus the motion clarity makes action scenes, especially animated ones, look really good.

watching TVs in bright conditions is dumb though, and it strains your eyes. I watch in relatively dim conditions with display brightness turned down no matter how bright my monitor or TV can get.

>This is straight up untrue
Just look at this picture for yourself if you don't believe me. The left monitor is an OLED and the right is an LCD.

And as far as glossy vs matte, glossy will have better black levels because you only have to deal with specular reflections. A matte finish reflects light more uniformly and will have greyer blacks as a result. The reflectivity of the very top layer isn't necessarily what were talking about here anyway. If the pixels of the OLED aren't black enough in the first place then they're going to be reflecting more light.

Attached: 1.jpg (1466x1034, 301K)

Who else va Samsung master race? Honestly the panel I got has better blacks and less smear that the LG ips I had and better reaponse too.
Oled tech has hit a wall and if my amoled screen on my phone is anything to go by the black smearing is terrible

Lifespan and burn-in doesn't matter if you just buy a new one every year. Checkmate poorfags.

Attached: 1497209142517.jpg (669x696, 78K)

>hallway goes from looking like shit to too dark to see anything
Calibrate your fucking screens properly you nigger neither of those are right.

I have 2 Sammy 75" 2018 generation whatever the fuck it is, and the blacks are deep as fuck. Honestly with HDR content or bluray remux's the screen appears off in the black scenes. I get 0 noticeable light.

I miss deep blacks ree
Not worth the $$$ tho I'll wait till they get cheap enough I don't have to worry about burn in

lg ips and generally lg lcds are bottom of the barrel, thats not good comparison, also amoled isnt woled
not to mention that oled is far from hitting the wall, in two years there will be top emission panels with higher brightness and longevity and that still be 3-4 years before microled lcd will be available for non astronomical prices

But the pc monitors and TV's all have drawbacks

>WE WILL NEVER GET SED DISPLAYS

GAYEST TIMELINE

samsung is some fucking filth, theyre comfortable incorrectly raising gamma to trick people into thinking their displays are brighter, vincent teoh made a huge buttblast video about it too

Their pros and cons are well known to people on Jow Forums, thats why boasting about master race blacks on va compared to ips is dumb. And double dumb in oled thread.

So I tweaked the gamma and it looks fine with a color profile.
There is no perfect display tech currently on the market right now tho so it's futile to say x is best

ah I remember you from older oled threads, "muh perfect tech", just have fun with you va and keep dreaming about some mythical display you wont buy anyway, because you will find different flaws in the tech to save money

OLED is a stopgap meme.
MicroLED is the true next-gen technology. Gonna be a sweet day when MicroLED blows the fuck out of the LG/OLED shills over at avsforum.

>that black crush on the left
OLED is disgusting.
Cannot wait for MicroLED, it will destroy both of these meme technologies.

Yeah apparently joled isn't as good as xled we have now aye
This u basically have to run oled at max brightness to get any contrast
Hence why they memed hdr so hard.