Programming languages thread

What programming languages do you know? What are some cool things about them?

C++: template metaprogramming + zero overhead principle make for god tier power language when you have complete mastery

Python: super easy to create interfaces to other code using swig. Numpy

Attached: 3C5F0A8D-B798-4EA3-9E5F-7A3A2BC4090D.jpg (1200x956, 149K)

Haskell: Purely Functional, Guard syntax, Template Haskell, Lazy eval, referential transparency, etc.

C, C++, amd64 asm, arm asm, go, java, scheme, python, promela, bash, erlang, elixir, javascript, standard ML, pascal, lua, zig, rust, LLVM IR, QBE IR

After developing with 10+ languages, python is really all you need.

Agreed - python makes everything simple and awesome.

Except brackets, useful syntax not based on lonty memes and oop

bbased

rust as compiled language

python as scripting language

nothing more is needed

>shitting on java
t. js script kiddie

I really like Crystal's type inferencing capabilities
Erlang/Elixir's deeply integrated pattern matching is really neat

I've come to hate any language that lacks basic modern conveniences like iterators or simple functional methods (map, filter, reduce, etc)

C++, Java, Scala, MATLAB, LabVIEW
Currently learning D for metaprogramming stuff

I’ve heard D is the shit. Basically if you want to know what C++30 will look like take a look at D now. Been meaning to learn, but C++ is currently the thing everyone uses

I want to learn programing but I am stuck in the rabbit hole, because I cannot decide which programming language to learn. I started with Python, but they say it's getting obsolete because people move to go, but then someone says go is shit and I should learn rust or nim or whatever.

I'm tired of this shit anons. I just stay with Bash

Choose a language for me and I will use my time on it. Can't decide myself and it hurts

Use whatever the fuck language you want

unironically learn c

It hardly matters what language you learn when you're just trying to learn programming in the first place. Your goal at that point is to learn general programming concepts, not the syntax of a specific language.

Go.

Why:
>Fast: it's within spitting distance of languages like c++ and Rust.
>Simple: doesn't instill bad habits like object oriented programming. Easier to learn because you're not memorizing needless syntax.
>Large Stdlib: good for productivity.
>Compiled and easy to deploy: if you ever want to distribute youre shitty app, itll be trivial to do. Try saying the same about python

Unless you have a specific thing in mind.(Jabbascript for webshit, python for data science, c++ for game dev, java for pajeet crud apps)

unironically learn rust

in less than a decade it will displace c/c++/java

I want to get into devops or sre.
One person told me they use mostly bash, perl and some C.
Most of people say they are obsolete languages not worth investigating your time in.

You can learn a bit of C to understand some basics of programming languages, after that it wil mostly get easier with other languages

C++ is really shit. Template metaprograms are a poor excuse for macros.

>devops

Go is literally the defacto devops language. Look into Docker, Kubernetes, and the Cloud Native Software Foundation.

Also ruby for chef and puppet.

why does Jow Forums hate js so much

Attached: 1538353460070.jpg (746x746, 40K)

Bash: automation (duh)
C: speed, memory stuffs
Ruby: basically anything Python does while not having to use Python
Python: driving you closer to suicide
C#: WinAPI (not that I use it)
Java: maintaining Java legacy apps
Elixir: distributed (and supposedly embedded) systems
Kotlin: Java but extends the life of your keyboard

Attached: bear_on_ther_bear_computer_.png (640x490, 592K)

>avoiding java
nonironically what do people have against being employable?

Attached: 1467852901887.jpg (680x464, 36K)

its not just Jow Forums

thank god webassembly will anihilate js in less than a decade

having an a decent job, not just 'a job'

If you want to be "employable" you should focus on learning how to suck a mean dick and how to lower your living expenses so you can ask for a more competitive (ie lower) salary.
Not everyone's life revolves around molding themselves into the perfect employee for some shitty generic job.

I make six figures in a state thats not new york or california.
java by far dominates enterprise applications. why is everyone's head up their ass.
It's not like once hired, your job restricts you from learning anything else.

You can make 6 figures sucking dicks too

Start with C then meddle a bit with C++ and Java
Specialize in whichever you like most, employers like both

I see you haven't tried JavaScript

why not:
>gay

try rust, its c++, but better

Attached: Rust_programming_language_black_logo.svg.png (1200x1200, 56K)

no thanks i don't have a bondage fetish

maybe you can, I'm not that good at it.

What if I need fast

Then you want a thin python wrapper over something that already solves the core of your problem in C

Nah sounds like a meme.
Python is for retarded "scientists" who cant into CS

SWIG-ity swooty

Aka people who fuck

based

and it will be faster than c

C : fastest language, lets you understand how things work under the hood, simple to learn cause really small language in the end
C++ : chaotic language, a lot of features, and hard to learn, but you can almost do anything you want, with performance close to C, it's on a higher level with generics and smart pointers, and you can still do concurrency easily (unlike this garbage borrow checker shit)
OCaml : functional programming (best paradigm, cleanest one and easier to debug), pattern matching, strong type system, advanced module system, advanced functional concepts (like GADT), and still OOP / imperative aspects for when needed, so quite a complete language, and easy to learn compared to Haskell or Lisp. Offers highest level concepts while still being a compiled language with reasonable performance.
Java : can be really clean in OOP when your model is not randomly designed, but can become a heavy fucking labyrinth if you let a retard design your software. Also a nice language overall, with good performance, and easy to integrate, make concurrent or distributed, and benefits from a lot of libraries out there built over the years

I "know" how to program any programming lang, college faggot.
I write java professionally for 5 years.

Hahaha holy shit Java programmers are so fucking stupid. Jesus Christ

Big cope college baby. Putting a lang down on your resume because you did a hello world and a few tutorials is laughable. Good luck on the job hunt

>I write java professionally for 5 years.
You write it like there is anything to be proud of

Name better lang to program for a living
Going to laugh really hard if you say c or c++ and will die if you say a meme function lang

You know how to program any language. But you only program Java. DJ play that back again .... YOU KNOW ANY LANGUAGE. YOU KNOW VHDL. YOU KNOW HASKEL.YOU KNOW TEMPLATE METAPROGRAMMING. YOU KNOW CUDA. YOU KNOW THE VECTOR EXTENSION OF THE ARM ASSEMBLY LANGUAGE

Yeah as well as you do, tutorial following retard. No one does all of these at a professional level at any level of quality. When you graduate college and actually work a job using a specific set of skillsets you will "know" a long and it will not be a joke on your resume.

If you really need to write OOP just go for C#, it managed to use wildcards half a decade before java.
I know you don't really know what it might mean since you can't handle resources without a garbage collector, but when you need to make complex, CPU heavy programs that could benefit of parallelism, all major libraries like MPI and openMP are on C++, scientific computing is all done on C++.
Even the latest 7+ PHP releases have more dignity and allow to find a decent amount of jobs, hell, learn some js so you can work on node

Have fun coding java in 3 years now that even google ditched that shit from their mobile OS

Attached: 1551394965395.gif (320x240, 130K)

javascript nigga

>C#
Stop reading there because i know you would name this joke of a lang

Attached: 1556059275575.jpg (1067x1200, 106K)

>Guys i learned how to code on stack overflow, i even read a book, i am a good developer please respect me
You sound like an indian

Did you just green text yourself? I said if you dont work with a language as a salary professional you are not a professional and it is a joke to put it on your resume. Good luck on the job hunt college baby

Python - quick scripting for cross platform usage

Bash - linux scripting with a simple elegance that entrances me. I almost think it's easier then python

>No one does all of these at a professional level

Lol

Name someone lmfao god you are retarded actually name a single developer

Fuck I can’t believe I’m doing this... two years ago - VHDL for drone based software defined radio. 1 year ago Linux kernel driver for embedded radar range finder. Recently been working on a C++ library for gravity field mapping

Omg you know 3 langs!!!! That is amazing. Job hopping scum. Why do you keep getting fired? Ive written 3 langs professionally too bro very cool

t pajeet

you either willingly dont care about performance or you've never made a program that needs to perform

>lets focus on making programs needlessly fast, focusing on trivial loses of milliseconds that make no difference on your income, instead of focusing on maintainability and development time of the product
Lol this is why no one hires c and c++ devs anymore unless its embedded or game dev

Java is a very fascinating language with many very intelligent developers

With all of the fundamental libraries written in C/C++ to keep performance reasonable for your shitlang.

Brainlet crossposting from /lit/ here, why is java such a clusterfuck? Is it Pajeet/retard coders or does the language itself encourage bloat?

For systems/devops/SRE I agree with the other poster that replied with you. Go is hot in systems work, python/ruby are hot for scripts, and java is going to be good to know a bit just because a lot of services at big companies are written in it. Google, Amazon, and more run on a lot of Java.

Yes

I see you've never done computer vision, shit brain

NASA doesn’t fire people unless they fuck up royally

Oops - reply meant for javafag

C# here. I use it for work and I really like it. I'm not sure what language I want to segue into next for my next job, though.

Maybe if you live in America lol. Probably not big of an issue if you live in the more rural areas.

i'm taking a visual basic class

what's the purpose of it?

Of Visual Basic? Honestly it’s the Python of shitty windows GUI programming

Literally all you need is C# on dotnet core and C. You can accomplish anything quickly with that combo. Yes, you can also do it with Python, but 90%+ of your code should be at the high level and Python is so fucking slow you're forced into C too often. Yes you can use Java or Go, but they're simply inferior languages. Yes you can use C++, but it's completely unnecessary so you might as well use a more predicable language. Yes you can use Rust, but imo it's really goddamn annoying and if you're spending minimal time in C then not writing memory bugs is pretty trivial.
Prove me wrong.

I think jvm is good
>write once run anywhere

>compile once run anywhere
FTFY

I mean technically the only language you need is C.

Python: useful but I don't really like it anymore
Tcl: would prefer it if its library and performance were on par with python. Its syntax can be quite lisp-like
Scheme: clean and nice, no ecosystem worth mentioning.
Clojure: fuck java, but Clojure is amazing and pays the bills. Lisp with not only persistent immutable lists, but persistent immutable vectors and maps, achieved with structural sharing, on top the JVMs GC and runtime analysis.

>Clojure is amazing and pays the bills
What do you do for work?

Dotnet core does this too. Well it runs anywhere Windows, Linux or FreeBSD runs, plus some specific microcontrollers. The jvm and core are pretty evenly matched on performance. The real problem with the jvm, is Java. It's just not comparable to C#. Jvm languages like Kotlin are trying really hard, but they miss out on the enormous support a well established language has. Maybe in 5-10 years.

True, but your efforts are multiplied in a higher level language. Not just in memory management, but shit like easy concurrency using async/await, or the absolute godsend known as linq.

>Compile once run away
Backend programming in Clojure. Really easy to write something which works in it, use threads, and not have to freaking worry about them since I have immutability and good concurrency semantics.

I just use C# and Python

Attached: image0-15.jpg (640x547, 348K)

Redpill me on a future-proofed variant of js and something for mobile dev. Is dart/flutter the way to go for fuschia or is it a meme?

Attached: 1553638178685.png (586x634, 284K)

Cool! Must be nice to have a job where you are free to use functional programming to your hearts content. Been exploring some of the more mindfucky aspects of C++ lately, and it seems that it borrows heavily from Haskell. Would you say there is much correspondence between Haskell and lisp?

I only dabbled with Haskell but got a college who worked with it before.
The tl;dr is not much.
The biggest different is the Clojure is dynamically typed (haskell isn't), most things in clojure aren't lazy, and it isn't pure so you don't have to bother with monads.
Besides the obvious, haskell being more focused on currying and categories while lisps are more lambda oriented.
Working with Clojure doesn't feel like you're working with an esoteric tool handed down to you from the Ancients. It's pretty simple and you can read its source code and achieve enlightenment.
What's nice with Clojure is that it integrates seamlessly with the JVM and Java, so if someone wants a Jar from you, you can give it to them. They don't have to know it's written in a nice language.