Why shouldn't I use OpenBSD, again?

Why shouldn't I use OpenBSD, again?

Attached: puflogv1000X650.gif (1000x650, 55K)

You can,
It's a cool OS, with very focused on security
Better use for server

You should.

Because haiku beta was released

We don't want retards using our OS, we saw what happened to Linux.

It's good for your soul

Attached: 1525240323836.jpg (1024x768, 152K)

Reminder that OpenBSD is lacking the following things:
>A robust filesystem such as ZFS, btrfs, or HAMMER2
>Any kind of journaling FS
>SSD TRIM
>NFSv4
>Support for more than one core on various parts of the OS. The firewall, pf, is confirmed to be one of these parts, although there may be more.
>802.11ac networking
>Nvidia graphics from this decade
>AMD Vega graphics
>Certain Intel graphics, at least judging from comparing the manpage to the wikipedia article
>Broadcom wireless
>Bluetooth
>WINE
>LUKS/dm-crypt
>Linux compatibility layer
>Mounting ext filesystems
>free(1)
>lsblk(8)
>Proper virtualization (vmd/vmm is awful compared to KVM+QEMU or even Virtualbox)
>and probably more

Attached: 1552958233480.png (1000x1000, 168K)

Because you have hardware purchased this decade.

this
I really like the neofetch icon lol
and also the non political attitude.
But i am to fucking lazy to set everything up.
How is the Installation on the x220?
Does Wlan and everything else work?
Is XFCE or i3 working?

Any thinkpad works perfect basically.

Installation is retardedly easy nowadays. You won't get AC or possible N wifi, but g will work. XFCE and i3 work fine, but obsd comes with cwm which i like.

>You won't get AC or possible N wifi, but g will work.
cringe.

>You won't get AC or possible N wifi
>works perfect basically
Nah...
Kudos to you for being honest though.

N WiFi works fine.

Linux is a kernel.

No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'.

Based
I will install it and finally stop using Coc/Linux

Same reason nobody else uses it

I run OBSD on the regular on a Ryzen 5 1600 and a GTX1050Ti. Everything works like a breeze.

>nvidia
>openbsd
does this actually work? what driver is it using?

It’s great, if you’re not using it either you’re retarded or a commie transfag.

Attached: DBA18C54-8F4A-4E95-BA29-211CE4859120.png (2048x1536, 447K)

how does the Batterie management of Laptops work under openBSD?
Is it much worse than Linux?

It has APM and supports dynamic frequency scaling. Battery life should be about the same.

>works perfect basically

Can't even playback sound properly from Chrome.
I'm literally installing Ubuntu on my Thinkpad right now, after having used OpenBSD for ages.
Even as a development platform it sucks:
>No Valgrind
>No sanitizers
>Jenkins barely works
>etc.

It only works for OpenBSD developers, which means C programmers writing an OS. It sucks for anyone outside of that use case. The file system is an absolute joke, the scheduler (if you play sound while doing anything else like switching a tab in chromium, the sound will jerk), wifi is terrible, not only it doesn't support the new standards but even on 802.11g you can't even get top speed because they have a simplistic implementation.

It's a good meme OS though.

No it doesn't.
Like, at all. Not just that you won't get acceleration, but even basic desktop will be super slow.

Granted, this is more NVIDIA's fault than OpenBSD. Everything else (not having improved their kernel beyond the 90s) is OpenBSD's fault though.

Oh yes I'm forgetting:
- No equivalent of Dtrace/Perf or anything like that

Even fucking NetBSD has better support for development (sanitizers, a MinGW port, etc.)

OpenBSD is a meme.

This. I just bought an i7 X201 and I will be putting my OpenBSD drive which sits in my i5 X201 into it when it arrives on Tuesday.

Dumbfuck Pajeets try to install OpenBSD on their Nintendo Switch and fail and then rage about how it has "no drivers." Shows what they know.

OpenBSD is the last white male operating system.

>Can't even playback sound properly from Chrome.
Using Iridium right now and sound works properly. Why use Chrome when there's a de-botnetted version?

Learn to code.

>not having improved their kernel beyond the 90s
It's weird how RedHat / IBM shills have to lie about stuff like this.

Reminder that I as a debian user am going to cry endlessly about everything.
That is all, reeeereeeeeeeeeeeeee, if people don't use what I use then reeeereeeeeeeeeeeeee maybe reeeereeeeeeeeee I made the wrong reeeereeeeeeeeeeeeeee choice reeeereeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

its look like shit what are the benefits?

>Using Iridium right now and sound works properly.
Play a stream, and do some other shit (start compiling software, etc.) and I guarantee you'll hear artifacts when you get audio buffer underruns.
It's got nothing to do with the browser, but the kernel and the scheduler.

>It's weird how RedHat / IBM shills have to lie about stuff like this.

It's literally true. They have not done any work on SMP, no work on the VM system (except incidentally the tranny who got fired by Theo), no work on file system, barely any work on the TCP/IP stack (a Jap dude used to do that, but he dead now), no work on the scheduler, etc.
The main thing they've done is autistically adding some exploit mitigation, and writing a slow but user-friendly firewall.

Which is why you still have a giant-locked kernel that can't push more than 3 Gbps out of a 10G card.

Even people who used their fork of LibreSSL are now moving back to OpenSSL, since LibreSSL still does not support TLS 1.3. Their HTTP server does not and will never support HTTP 2, etc.

Again, it's a good system if you want to live in the 90s forever.

Filesystem is kinda bad though

>Again, it's a good system if you want to live in the 90s forever.
based

Yes and too many retards are using that kernel

>No sanitizers
On the other hand it has vm.malloc_conf, which has saved my ass in many situations. I've found and fixed a ton of bugs in Linux software simply by running it on OpenBSD with its strong memory protections that Linux doesn't have.

Too far out

Attached: Puffystock.gif (681x1029, 195K)

Why should we not use NetBSD again?

Attached: 1554161077272.jpg (600x849, 151K)

It's shit because you typically don't have debugging symbols anyway.
And regardless, sanitizers and Valgrind go way beyond that, since they can also detect undefined behavior, threading issues, etc.

It's better than OpenBSD for sure: journaled file system, giant lock largely removed from the networking path, and they're working on adding support for things like DTrace and ZFS.
Although if you cared about that you'd be using FreeBSD in the first place.

To find bugs in Valgrind you have to run it in the first place. I'm not going to do that on the programs I run every day, and the Linux people obviously aren't, since I keep finding these bugs. If I run a program on OpenBSD and the kernel kills it, I build the port with debugging symbols and file a bug report. Dead simple. I'd love to have sanitizers and valgrind too, but the defaults matter to me.

I'm also a big fan of how pledge and unveil are used all throughout base, and eagerly watching them trickle into packages as well.