Is rubber duck debugging a real thing or am I getting memed on like programmer socks?

Is rubber duck debugging a real thing or am I getting memed on like programmer socks?

Attached: 1459197248734.jpg (280x214, 14K)

>not debugging with your satania bodypillow

programming socks aren't a meme, tardass

Explaining a problem to someone that doesn't understand the specifics of your dev environment is absolutely helpful. I do it all the time, either to my dog if I'm working from home, or in my head if I'm at the office (I pretend I'm explaining it to my grandma, who would honestly be sweet thought to listen). It forces you to reevaluate the situation from a lower level than you normally would.

Sorry this isn't a very jokey answer, it sounded like a legit question.

How many pairs do you own?

I understand what you mean I just really meant do people actually buy rubber duckies?

remember that episode of house where house fires everyone and then grabs a janitor because he needs someone to basically just stand there and listen to him

that's basically what the duck is for

When Seymour Cray was stuck with a problem, he'd go out into the garden to dig. The gnomes would give him the answer.

Rubber ducky programming is not a meme. All it does is force you to think about what you're doing and what you expect the computer to do, and then figuring out where the two parts don't intersect. It isn't a meme, but you don't need an actual rubber ducky either. You can just talk to your computer, or you could just talk to a coffee cup, or keep it to yourself.

The process of thinking through your lines of code is not a meme.

one of my professors told us about it and gave everyone a duck
I never do it
>Explaining a problem to someone that doesn't understand the specifics of your dev environment is absolutely helpful
I do this all the time though

I had a coworker who would occasionally stand up and ask if anyone was willing to be his rubber duck. Someone would come over to his desk and he'd just talk at them for a minute until he figured out what he should do. Seemed to really help him.

Nah, any stand in works. Find your own "rubber duck" whatever it may be my dude

One time there was a bug in a piece of software I wrote that I couldn't find for a couple of days. I printed it out and wrote down in first-order logic what needed to be true between each statement, working backwards.

Found the bug in 5 minutes.

i just break down and cry
works half of the time

I have a bobble head Einstein in my desk I use for debugging, he's a great help

Based and gnomepilled.

i imagine i'm trying to explain what the code does to my dad, who has literally no idea how to use a computer

>or am I getting memed on like programmer socks?
You are telling me you are capable of coding if you don't feel cute?

I am an ugly duckling.

Attached: 1492084774885.jpg (576x635, 127K)

it's a real thing. Sometimes what a man gotta have is just a friend that just... listen...
or friend...
fuck....
fuck you user.

...or a duck that just... quack...

this, but unironically. I use a plush of my waifu

You should buy programming socks with rubber ducks on them.

Attached: 1473735771241.png (576x347, 10K)

I use a Mr. Saturn figure because he's the scientist character from EarthBound. (I have autism.)

one of my friends has on multiple occasions when trying to get help from me figured it out on his own before I could message him back, so I really think it must have some merit.

>look Satania, a fucking Itoddler!