But does the EFF make software?

GPL is a virus and RMS is a faggot.

Yes, newfag.
Privacy Badger
HTTPS Everywhere
+ Tons of other shit.

Honestly I’ve been thinking this for months. RMS was fucking right

IIRC they made HTTPS Everywhere.
However the EFF has also probably taken a lot more donations in than FSF, and done a ton less.
THe EFF also has taken some actions that would lead any sane person to believe that they are controlled opposition.

>RMS was fucking right
Did people really ever think he wasn't right?

Free software is a meme. "Contribute if you want to" turns into "Contribute or pay for access" in about 5 seconds when reality hits and nobody contributes because they're retards who can't and leeches who wouldn't even if they could.

Wait really?
That was EFF this whole time?
Huh

No, they just said screw it and sacrafied freedom and privacy for convinience
Right Alexa?

Yeah I know
Hippies like the camping episode of king of the hill
I tell you Whoat

grsecurity

EFF is good and all, but the FSF has definitely made much larger contributions to the world of computing.

grsecurity.net/

Ok
I can admit when i'm wrong

He has many points, all of which are rendered idiotic when he starts talking about Trump

youtube.com/watch?v=PaKIZ7gJlRU

Assholes
never knew they did that

Egg waffles just funds shit

It's not communism if you have to volunteer and can even get rejected.

>well, I'll stop monopolizing the mic now
>goes off to sulk while Linus is still skull-fucking his question into the ground
Beautiful.

Yes, it pains me to say that he was right all along. Now I have no choice but to use his stupid crap because I can't deny the inconvenient truth.

Well no shit he was right
It's the retarded level of living like you're still in 1970 that you argue against

privacy badger and https everywhere are both useless

TOR uses HTTPS everywhere dumbass

What else do you use?

EFF is controlled opposition. They're a trendy group that appeals to technophile urbanites who are too invented in the IoT and social media to fight against corporate surveillance, so they ignore it and only get mad at the government. EFF spends more time and money on fashionable branding than they do on making any meaningful contributions to privacy or security (HTTPS Everywhere and Privacy Badger have long been surpassed). In fact, they are actively harmful:
>Trying to convince people to drop GPG encryption and instead pick up Signal
>Trying to convince people to buy iPhones in solidarity with Apple's "fight" against the FBI

IDK
Linux, C and C++, Python, anything that's free online basically
Just downloaded emacs for shits and giggles

gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/pdf/emacs.pdf

Not really what I was hoping for, but okay, have fun.

HTTPS Everywhere hasn't been replaced for entropy reasons. If you change it to a better alternative in an update, people stuck with older versions of Tor will stand out more. Its killer feature (upgrading embedded URLs to HTTPS) can be done in the Firefox config now.

I'm a jobless college student
Not even CS, i'm EE

I just like tech
Typing this on Parrot OS

Ublock origin/umatrix> privacy badger
Smarthttps> https everywhere

bumping for visibility.
try to refute this (protip: you cant)

stalled man is always right

I had an idea for a minute that paid software would be better for privacy, since when they try to fuck you you can just stop paying them.
Obviously it couldn't work, since tech is rife with monopolies, see Windows for example.
So basically we're fucked.

Can you give examples where this has happened?

RMS is and was always right about software freedom and the central problem at hand

Doesn't mean he's right about his leftist utopian absolutist vision of a solution

Sometimes I think the FSF gets a bad image because it overlaps (or is perceived to overlap) with RMS's personal political notes

The actual solution to software freedom is much more complicated because it needs to first coexist and then supersede proprietary shitware. Fortunately,smarter more socially adept people that understand how the real world works are embedding free standards into computing to counter the proprietary cancer and not sitting on a yemotee yeelong with no GUI and preaching about modern open standards.

>Trying to convince people to drop GPG encryption and instead pick up Signal
Glad I’m not the only one who remembers this. Fucking inexcusable bullshit promotion of centralization

I used to think the same when I read about the FSF from other sources (including Linus) instead of themselves and Stallman's own writings. I agree with those who said that the EFF is controlled opposition.

They are based overall, but not perfect.
For one, I think their policy about completely excluding free software as a means, and condemning all distributions which allow installing nonfree software, is inconsistent. While the goal of ultimately getting rid of all proprietary software is just and worth pursuing, sometimes you do need it (see: firmware) as of now.
Plus, they seem to not have a problem producing free software that is compatible with proprietary OSes (GNU Emacs has official Windows and Mac versions).
Also, while Stallman himself isn't _the_ FSF, I disagree with some of his political views, but not all. When it comes to technology, its role in society and "tech" companies, though, he is 100% right.
Reminder, you can use an OS, agree with the basic philosophy behind it, and still disagree with some unrelated opinions its authors hold.
You're delusional if you think there is anyone in the world who would agree with you on everything.

Attached: fsn_altromance.png (740x1035, 629K)

Genuine question, what are better alternatives to HTTPS Everywhere and Privacy Badger?

They're the hero we need.

This 100%.

Smarthttps, uMatrix

cringe, gpg is okayish but that's it.
GNOME is also good since 3, they made an original easy to use window manager.
this

Based on what?

Lel using a pentesting distro which I'm guessing you dont need/know how to use

Based on the fact that they don't attack his beloved "tech" giants so he can pretend he's fighting for anything while never actually lifting a finger.

I pay my fees to be a FSF member, and I think I'm doing the right thing, since this money is going to things like RYF approvals, promoting free software and probably some of it goes to infrastructure and GNU software development.