The Ideal Linux Distribution

Alright, you fucks. I've seen the light since this Firefox bullshit. I need icecat which means, more importantly, I need to finally make the switch to Linux.
The question is, which distribution?
Good 'ol trusty Ubuntu?
Tails?

ITT: The ideal Linux distribution.

Attached: best-linux-distros-670x335.jpg (437x333, 52K)

Other urls found in this thread:

chocolatey.org/packages/icecat
gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

OpenSUSE

Gentoo has Icecat in the main repos.

opensuse if kde
fedora otherwise

What's the weebiest distro out there?

Attached: 39017216966332.5603b53858cce.jpg (600x600, 368K)

Since it's your first time, mint or one of the ubuntus. You can maybe get to the others as you get more used to linux.

KDE is comfy af right now, especially for people coming from windows. I was on kubuntu until yesterday. Being based on ubuntu made shit really easy to google.

I've switched to Antergos because I wanted to try out the arch+i3 meme. Antergos is basically kiddy Arch (Arch + a GUI installer).

>i need linux for ic-
chocolatey.org/packages/icecat

Do you want to use linux as a "windows replacement" or do you want to use linux as linux?

its called Fedora KDE OP

>chocolatey.org/packages/icecat
They dropped support

macOS.

I figure, if I'm gonna use Linux, might as well use Linux as Linux, right?

For a beginner it doesn't really matter which distro you pick as long as it has an installer and the software you need. Ubuntu is probably the easiest, Fedora is also a good choice.

Once you git gud I recommend Arch, it makes life easier if you're constantly installing and configuring shit. You're gonna be using the Arch wiki at some point anyway.

arch or gentoo then. Don't let the retards tell you it's difficult at all. Practice installing in a VM instead of on hardware if you are a complete novice.

xubuntu

arc gtk

Is there a desktop environment you really want to use?

Do you want to be on the newest release of all your software, or would you prefer to be on older software that's proven to be stable?

Do you prefer a system that is lightweight, at the cost of requiring more customization to make it pretty? Or do you want something a bit heavier that is modern looking out of the box?

Mint is probably the best one to come out fresh from Windows.

>Is there a desktop environment you really want to use?
I'm a normie but can learn anything. What do you like? What do you recommend?
> Do you want to be on the newest release of all your software, or would you prefer to be on older software that's proven to be stable?
I just want something that works
> Do you prefer a system that is lightweight, at the cost of requiring more customization to make it pretty? Or do you want something a bit heavier that is modern looking out of the box?
So long as I have access to it, I'll take the best!

>try it in a VM
>installation took 1 week

>vm
Stopped reading there

Just use Ubuntu.

Based, go metal or go home to botnet.

from >Practice installing in a VM instead of on hardware if you are a complete novice.

If you want something with cutting edge software, check out the arch-based distros. Fedora, or one of the version 19.04 *buntus are pretty good for that too.

If you want something with old, stable software, check out debian or the LTS version of the *buntus.

If you want something lightweight (but requiring some configuration to look modern), check out distributions running XFCE, or LXDE / LXQT. If you really want to get into configuring things yourself, check out i3 or OpenBox (many of the comfy customized setups you see people posting use one of these two window managers).

If you want something that will look modern without much configuring, look for distributions running KDE or Gnome. These two desktop environments are the defaults for many popular distros. If you want something a little less mainstream, but still good looking out of the box, look into Cinnamon, Budgie, Pantheon or Deepin.

Well, if you're just looking for something that works without too much hassle, I'd recommend looking into Kubuntu. Kubuntu is just Ubuntu with the KDE desktop environment. KDE has been very popular lately - it behaves similarly to windows, so it has a pretty gentle learning curve, and it's surprisingly light on resources.

That said, if you go for a KDE distribution, definitely consider removing their PIM suite as soon as possible (or install a minimal installation which doesn't contain it). It contains things like their desktop mail client / calendar / contacts, it runs in the background, and eats up a surprising amount of RAM.

Half you retards use manjaro because you can't install arch whats wrong with using a VM

What does that mean though? What is there to learn with Ubuntu, for example? I can't help but feel tempted to jump straight for advanced distros since Ubuntu is sold as a Windows-lite

>I can't help but feel tempted to jump straight for advanced distros since Ubuntu is sold as a Windows-lite
It's not, no linux distro is. If you want to do anything besides use basic software that's in the repos on any distro you'll have to get your hands dirty. Beginner friendly distros like Ubuntu and Mint just make it so you don't have to rely on the terminal to build up the whole system, like with Arch or Gentoo, because that tends to be daunting for new users.

You don't learn anything by installing gentoo user

Alright, you've convinced me. I'm not op but your answer is what I needed to hear I guess

Attached: 1555803368253.png (873x1079, 929K)

If you want something that just werks out of the box but also gives you room to learn, I recommend Xubuntu or one of the easy Arches (Antergos/Manjaro) with XFCE. They will give you customizability without forcing you to set up a lot of basic features yourself.

desu linux doesn't need to be difficult. Desktop environments like gnome and kde have gotten good enough that you hardly ever need to use the terminal if you don't want to. People learn the command line because they like it, and it is necessary if you want to start using a minimal distribution.

If you're really looking for something massively different from windows, install Arch (or Antergos if you don't feel the need to do the install manually), learn a terminal text editor (vim or emacs), and look into customizing i3. That should take you a while, but it is super nice once you've got it set up, and it should take you far outside the realm of what you're used to in windows.

Antergos it is then. thank you anons!

Manjaro for beginners, then when you know what your doing switch to arch

When you install Antergos watch out for vivaldi and the other browsers. Installed Antergos yesterday and the install failed two times because of packages that couldn't be download, which was due to vivaldi. If you don't want it don't install it right away and keep it unchecked and just install it later. You don't need to install any of the browsers technically until you're up and running and fire up software managment the first time. If you want waterfox you need AUR enabled.

you can't fucking read can you?

Moebuntu

Debian or arch. Don't go for their forks, downstream distros always have more problems than the distros they're based on. Pick one of these two or pick fedora I guess.

Any ubuntu derivative if it's your first linux experience.

Switch to any distro that comes with AUR after having gotten accustomed to linux somewhat.

blackhat

Fedora Core

Not OP, just an Arch user. Why are there so many Fedora fans? I tried it once and don't remember being very impressed, I think I had some issues and it had gnome, what's good about it?

Red Hat

I don't know. I only used Fedora for a couple days but felt slow, bloated and just not as good overall as Debian or Arch. I guess they prefer their package manage or way of updating, something like that. I don't really know

Arch

Attached: Arch Linux Aqua (Konosuba).jpg (728x728, 95K)

Attached: Aqua (Konosuba).gif (540x325, 490K)

Xubuntu.

what does this mean? are you deliberately looking for a linux distro that ships a product not suitable for day to day use? if so why?

>Gnome
Pop Os
>Xfce, mate and Cinnamon
Linux Mint
>KDE
Kubuntu lts with backports

If you want KDE and Ubuntu why not install NEON?

If you can't find your "ideal" Linux distribution amongst the handful of core distributions, then you're a fucking retarded poser.

Just go with Fedora. Best fkin distro out there. Best balance between access to latest updates and stability.

Fedora or Ubuntu

I feel like fedora breaks a lot less

Fedora Silverblue is the cleanest and most functional distro from a technical perspective. It's impossible for updates to break your system.

Guix, the ultimate distribution of the GNU operating system.

Attached: 1540529216740.jpg (508x803, 238K)

>ships a product
Cringe and proprietarypilled

Solus. It is the one that has the closest performance to Clear Linux.

This. How do you have to make it more complicated. Ubuntu just werks out of the box.

On a virtual machine, Lubuntu is really the best.

The FSF has a list of approved distros: gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html

There are some that don't make it in but are fully or almost fully free, such as Debian, Fedora and CentOS.

Attached: 1476122874553.jpg (1000x667, 271K)

Manjaro

Attached: manjarotm.jpg (1920x1080, 1.06M)

pop!_os is very comfy.

Debian if you're a tranny
Devuan if you're a tranny who's going to kill xerself soon
Arch if you weight more than 300 lb and work less than four paid hours every day
Manjaro if you have diabetes but have a strict habit control and also work less than four paid hours every day
Slackware if you're +40 y/o
Ubuntu if your skin has color
Gentoo if your skin has no color
openSUSE if you like iguanas, the color green, and not working
Fedora if you hate every other distro

Probably something like Debian or Ubuntu in all honesty.

Don't fall for the "Ubuntu is for noobs" meme, and that it can't do certain things other distros can. You can do just about everything Arch can do on your Ubuntu install and vice versa.

They all suck one way or another so your choice is stability and speed.

fedora has icecat
what the actual fuck?
Why do you guys always shill the darkest neetest unmaintained distros unironically? Holy shit there's so many good distros, and you shill this garbish

Parabola